As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Which Switch

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited March 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Which Switch

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    This happened to me as well. Best Buy midnight launch was horrid. Took forever to get my system. Next morning, walked in to target and they had tons. Even had special edition Zelda and Amiibos.

• Options
    Huttj509Huttj509 Registered User regular
    Target, 2pm. They had 60 left. Didn't have game selection, but Gamestop had games but no systems, so it worked.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Gabe dried off very quickly. Maybe the white-hot rage evaporated all the water.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Considering the minor issue some are having with dead pixels it would behoove tycho to test them out.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/mar/06/nintendo-switch-dead-pixels-console

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    classic Chadrick

• Options
    wallywestwallywest Registered User regular
    LOL

The hype around these launches is downright comical. During the PS4 launch I saw a huge line at the local Gamestop, so I drove another 1/3 of a mile to Wal Mart. This was right around midnight, walked in, a few people were hanging out in electronics but nothing crazy. We asked the stoned guy behind the counter if they were putting out the PS4, he said "oh, yeah", went and got them from the back. Ten minutes later I drove by Gamestop, held up the PS4 to the window and laughed as I went by. They were not amused.

The next day Wal Mart still had plenty on the shelves. I live in a small town, I know in some areas this was not typical. But still, if they sell out just wait a few days, they'll get more.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Someone on the reddit forum for the local area said they wandered into a local pharmacy chain and bought one. With their points card and a current promo that offers 20x the points, he got back ~$170. Seems like a decent bargain.

When I went to get my copy of GTAV, the local EB had a throng of people lined around the building. Drove past it to best buy, was about 20 people. They were doing no more than 5 in the store at once at first, but it was really cold so they just came out and said "Hey, it's really cold, everyone just come inside and line around the front area this way."

• Options
    ZenigataZenigata Registered User regular
    As though some how owning the Switch RIGHT NOW is better than just waiting and buying it later on once the hype dies down. These won't be sold out forever. There's basically nothing even worth buying a Switch for right now anyway. But don't get between overgrown children and their Nintendo I suppose.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Zenigata wrote: »
    As though some how owning the Switch RIGHT NOW is better than just waiting and buying it later on once the hype dies down. These won't be sold out forever. There's basically nothing even worth buying a Switch for right now anyway. But don't get between overgrown children and their Nintendo I suppose.
    Zelda has a Metacritic of 98, there very well might not be a game with a higher score on the Switch again. A game that good, that will never get ported is kind of the definition of system-seller. Maybe not buying it from a flipper right now, but I thought the point of the comic was the Switch was widely available.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

Also considering it now looks like there is definitely a hardwware flaw in the left joycon, waiting till they fix that might be good.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Zelda has a Metacritic of 98, there very well might not be a game with a higher score on the Switch again. A game that good, that will never get ported is kind of the definition of system-seller. Maybe not buying it from a flipper right now, but I thought the point of the comic was the Switch was widely available.

It came pre-ported. Having it on a handheld is nice, though.

• Options
    jothki wrote: »

I keep forgetting that it has a Wii U version, Metacritic doesn't even have 1 posted review score for that version yet.

• Options
    HeWhoSeesHeWhoSees Registered User regular
    Huttj509 wrote: »
    Target, 2pm. They had 60 left. Didn't have game selection, but Gamestop had games but no systems, so it worked.

I was actually in JoshJepson's Twitch stream the day before the launch, and he advised people to go to Target if they didn't have a preorder for the Switch. From the looks of things he was right!

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    "no reason" = EBAY SON $$$$$$$$$$

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    jwalk wrote: »
    "no reason" = EBAY SON $$$$$$$$$$
    Except Joe Blow can walk into a store and buy one, so there isn't really a shortage.

• Options
    ChasinTheTraneChasinTheTrane Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

It was such a weird move of them to port it on Wii U, since if it wasn't it totally would've been worth a purchase for me.

I haven't been to a console midnight release since the launch of the original Wii, but they sure are fun, even with pneumonia.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Also considering it now looks like there is definitely a hardwware flaw in the left joycon, waiting till they fix that might be good.

From what I read on Ars that was a prelaunch issue that seems to have been resolved by updating to the latest firmware.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

A quick back-of-an-envelope calculation (assuming about 20% efficiency and making what's really just a guess as to the length of the conversation) puts the emissive power of Gabe's rage in the 33-50Kw range.

Of course that's just in the thermal range. God knows what's happening up there in the picometer spectrum.

• Options
    TransluciaTranslucia Registered User regular
    SOCK HAT YA'LL

• Options
    Huttj509Huttj509 Registered User regular
    @Chasinthetrane they didn't port it to the WiiU. It was designed for the WiiU. They decided about a year ago to port it to the Switch as well. Tweaked the UI some to accommodate the single screen (and realized they preferred it with the new UI), made sure it worked, bam.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

A quick back-of-an-envelope calculation (assuming about 20% efficiency and making what's really just a guess as to the length of the conversation) puts the emissive power of Gabe's rage in the 33-50Kw range.

Of course that's just in the thermal range. God knows what's happening up there in the picometer spectrum.

Posts like these are why I love this forum

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    If Gabe thinks he feels sicknow, wait until someone convinces him to lick the cartridge

• Options
    poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    Reminds me of my story.... I woke up at 5am for work, went to work, came home at 9am, had coffee, left at 9:30 to do some errands, and got my Switch at gamestop at 10am. Cause I preordered and paid the sucker off. Had some fun with my switch! Then went back to work for afternoon shift.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Huttj509 wrote: »
    @Chasinthetrane they didn't port it to the WiiU. It was designed for the WiiU. They decided about a year ago to port it to the Switch as well. Tweaked the UI some to accommodate the single screen (and realized they preferred it with the new UI), made sure it worked, bam.

Yeah, the email to the dev team went something like

"We've decided to also port the game to the Switch.

PS: Have it ready by launch"

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

From what I read on Ars that was a prelaunch issue that seems to have been resolved by updating to the latest firmware.

There was a day 1 patch, but it didn't resolve it, just mitigated it slightly. There's instructions out on how to take apart the joycon and solder in an antenna that appears to be missing from some of the joycons. Probably a manufacturer defect.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    The Acq-Inc C-Team news has me very excited. I just hope that it doesn't mean that the A-Team is relegated to PAX shows.

• Options
    edited March 2017

There was a day 1 patch, but it didn't resolve it, just mitigated it slightly. There's instructions out on how to take apart the joycon and solder in an antenna that appears to be missing from some of the joycons. Probably a manufacturer defect.

What I read said the left joycon wasn't missing an antenna. The one it has is crammed against some metal and in a place your hand will be around it. Same antenna on both sides, but one gets attenuated more so that side has problems.
    A bit more inspection shows the left Joy-Con does sport a Bluetooth antenna that's built into the circuit board itself, running up the top outside edge of the controller. That's right next to where the controller usually rests in your palm, which could cause your hand to block the Bluetooth signal quite easily. And while Spawn Wave notes that the PS4 has a similar on-board Bluetooth antenna design, the Switch's left Joy-Con antenna differs by "sitting next to a piece of metal" holding the circuitry for the Joy-Con's analog stick, possibly causing more interference.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    DistantlurkerDistantlurker Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    The Acq-Inc C-Team news has me very excited. I just hope that it doesn't mean that the A-Team is relegated to PAX shows.

I'm really excited too. Just moar Acq-Inc, of any kind, makes me squeee!

Also noted on the new site that Will's bio states Al is canon working for Auspicia, so the chance of a guest appearance, like the Kraken, rises... ^^

• Options
    Yeah, I was wondering about that. Now that Scott's off doing his own thing, would Wil come back?

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    the scores for the wii U and switch are interchangable, it's the same game. Framerate and other graphical issues are in both versions.

The swich has shorter loading times for some area's that's it.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    PordrendPlaysPordrendPlays Registered User new member
    I love that Acq inc website.. it's giving me horrible flashbacks to the late 90's

• Options
    I love that Acq inc website.. it's giving me horrible flashbacks to the late 90's

I got a hearty chuckle out of the 'Web Ring' in the footer.