As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[River City Ransom Underground] BAAARFF! -Out now on Steam

darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
http://store.steampowered.com/app/422810/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us7MnovsPKs

Kickstarter for this happened back in 2013, was supposed to be out for 2014.. and well yea delayed, then some crap popped up regarding licenses getting sold or bought or something.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    My entire life has been leading up to this moment.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    The original is one of my favorites, I have to get this one.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Put a few hours into this last night. Pretty impressed so far.

Combat has some real depth, and trying the game on Hard teaches you that depth very painfully. There's no one ideal approach to combat and every enemy gang has different tactics and approaches to keep track of.

The game is pretty difficult even on "Normal" (I think it's called Story difficulty in the game).

Game expects you to do a bit of RPG grinding and has some old NES sensibilities (you can go all sorts of directions at first, which is good and bad).

Pretty happy with the game so far. Characters are a bit basic before you unlock more moves, but even adding a couple tricks to a fighter's movelist lets you do some fun combos.

Haven't tried co-op yet.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    Put a few hours into this last night. Pretty impressed so far.

Combat has some real depth, and trying the game on Hard teaches you that depth very painfully. There's no one ideal approach to combat and every enemy gang has different tactics and approaches to keep track of.

The game is pretty difficult even on "Normal" (I think it's called Story difficulty in the game).

Game expects you to do a bit of RPG grinding and has some old NES sensibilities (you can go all sorts of directions at first, which is good and bad).

Pretty happy with the game so far. Characters are a bit basic before you unlock more moves, but even adding a couple tricks to a fighter's movelist lets you do some fun combos.

Haven't tried co-op yet.

When the most recent beta was happening the difficulty was cranked up, was getting steamrolled as soon as you stepped into the hallway, getting one shot by guys within the first seconds of the game was not fun. I played again maybe 2 weeks ago and that is around what we are seeing now with the game live, a much more friendly starting experience.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Hnnnnng!

The game is soooo gooood!

I am playing on Story difficulty and it is the right level of challenging. For the most part you can't really get away with spamming basic attacks, but you're also not required to pull off killer c-c-c-combos either. It is just the right difficulty for me right now. I look forward to Hard later though.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Oh my God whyyyyyyyyyyy. I have spent so much money the past few days. I can't justify paying for this... Can I?

How much is the average cost of a divorce nowadays?

• Options
    Major difference between Story and Hard (at least so far) is the AI.

Story AI is polite and sometimes will let you wail on an enemy solo while others wait their turn. Not always! Just sometimes.

Hard mode enemies have no interest is letting you have your "1v1 me bro!" nonsense.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Is this coming to PS4?

It looks good but this is a total console purchase for me.

(Also makes me wish the Scott Pilgrim game was still available)

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I've been sinking time into RCRU for a few weeks now, since the backer beta went live. Back then, a couple of hits from any AI was enough to completely destroy you, and the whole game was essentially unplayable. Fortunately they shored that up for the release, and now things are really awesome!

I've been playing through with Provie, and I've been enjoying it so far. It seems like they stripped out a lot of the combos from the beta version, though. Just straight up mashing is all they left in now, and the AI can interrupt that pretty easy. If anyone's figured out how to get combos to work again, I'd love to hear. The move list leaves... a lot to be desired, in terms of how it's structured (Also, a lot of moves that just don't seem to work at all).

The look and feel of the game is actually WAY better than I expected. It pays serious homage to the original, and moves and flows in a great way. I'm enjoying it a ton.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    I've been sinking time into RCRU for a few weeks now, since the backer beta went live. Back then, a couple of hits from any AI was enough to completely destroy you, and the whole game was essentially unplayable. Fortunately they shored that up for the release, and now things are really awesome!

I've been playing through with Provie, and I've been enjoying it so far. It seems like they stripped out a lot of the combos from the beta version, though. Just straight up mashing is all they left in now, and the AI can interrupt that pretty easy. If anyone's figured out how to get combos to work again, I'd love to hear. The move list leaves... a lot to be desired, in terms of how it's structured (Also, a lot of moves that just don't seem to work at all).

The look and feel of the game is actually WAY better than I expected. It pays serious homage to the original, and moves and flows in a great way. I'm enjoying it a ton.

Was working with Provie last night and they dont really explain some of the techs very well after you buy them. Her Handstand kick just has the button for Kick listed, but it fires off after timed with a punch or two. I found her one of the better fighters. tried the one grappler that you get in the cafeteria. Managed to unlock one of his attacks and it was still a slog fighting with him, eye poke, backhand, way too slow. His Grab/Bite is ok but leaves you open. Only thing worth a damn atm is his kick which is quick.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Only had time to play the prolog and then the intro of the game and it's so good. Loved fighting the principal.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Was working with Provie last night and they dont really explain some of the techs very well after you buy them. Her Handstand kick just has the button for Kick listed, but it fires off after timed with a punch or two. I found her one of the better fighters. tried the one grappler that you get in the cafeteria. Managed to unlock one of his attacks and it was still a slog fighting with him, eye poke, backhand, way too slow. His Grab/Bite is ok but leaves you open. Only thing worth a damn atm is his kick which is quick.

Oh dang, thanks much. I was wondering what I had spent my money on when all it did was add another move to the movelist that claimed "K" was all I needed to press.

Are the characters supposed to start with any kind of special? While playing as Provie, if I hit the button bound to "S", just nothing happens period. Do you need to buy those moves now? She used to do a pretty nice chain combo with that button in the beta.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    darkmayo wrote: »

Oh dang, thanks much. I was wondering what I had spent my money on when all it did was add another move to the movelist that claimed "K" was all I needed to press.

Are the characters supposed to start with any kind of special? While playing as Provie, if I hit the button bound to "S", just nothing happens period. Do you need to buy those moves now? She used to do a pretty nice chain combo with that button in the beta.

I think the 4 starting guys have specials.. then again I am played my save from just before release.. so maybe that has changed and there is no specials at start... Ill fire up a new game to see.

Nope your right, no special moves off the bat. hmm that is going to make this harder, I did like the tutorial level

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    Started off getting pretty frustrated until I did some grinding and unlocked a bunch of Glen's moves. Now things are opening up, its easier to chain comboes together, and deal with crowds. Enjoying my time pounding gangs now.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    This game is so fucking dumb.

I buy goal kick. How do I do it? The text literally reads. Goal kick: goal kick.

These Devs fucked it all up with this.

Jump knuckle. Jump punch.
    Jump punch Jump punch.

Wtf is the difference how do I activate?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    This game feels like an NES game, with all the nostalgia that comes with it. This is a good thing.

This game also feels like an NES game, with all the damn obfuscation that comes with it. This is not a good thing.

I know a lot of these mechanics were in the original game, but that doesn't mean they were good. You only get stats from food, but the only way to know what stats you get is to eat it and then not touch a button while the text crawls by lest you skip it. And the stat gains are useless if you're maxed so you kinda want to know what they give so you're not pissing away cash. I'm playing as Paul and his combo system makes no sense. I bought a few moves and they're just listed as (P). Well mashing P does nothing. Turns out they were additional combo strings started by his K attack. His actual combos are along the lines of PPK, KPPK, PPKPPKPK, and so on. Again, game doesn't say a word of this.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    This game feels like an NES game, with all the nostalgia that comes with it. This is a good thing.

This game also feels like an NES game, with all the damn obfuscation that comes with it. This is not a good thing.

I know a lot of these mechanics were in the original game, but that doesn't mean they were good. You only get stats from food, but the only way to know what stats you get is to eat it and then not touch a button while the text crawls by lest you skip it. And the stat gains are useless if you're maxed so you kinda want to know what they give so you're not pissing away cash. I'm playing as Paul and his combo system makes no sense. I bought a few moves and they're just listed as (P). Well mashing P does nothing. Turns out they were additional combo strings started by his K attack. His actual combos are along the lines of PPK, KPPK, PPKPPKPK, and so on. Again, game doesn't say a word of this.

yea the move lists are wonk atm.

Provie has a knee attack to use on downed enemies sadly all it says is K
    it apparently is jump and down+K over a downed enemy.

hopefully they correct that

as for the food and items luckily someone has been doing a google doc on what all the food items do.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MJSKKuL2uTD3sVo-qsDqUIiH-X3RHkhUsf2iJtx1wKY/htmlview?sle=true#gid=0

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    There are some moves that aren't even in the movelist. Provie has a handstand kick that is activated with forward or backward + S (timing is pretty tight), not listed anywhere in her movelist. Not sure when its unlocked either. "Provie escape" is "S while blocking" but its actually performed by pressing down -> up while blocking.

Frustrating design decisions that I'm willing to tolerate in a $20 indie game, but for easily frustrated players you might want to wait for a patch / decent FAQ. Like Wolf said above, this is an NES game in good and bad ways.

• Options
    There are some moves that aren't even in the movelist. Provie has a handstand kick that is activated with forward or backward + S (timing is pretty tight), not listed anywhere in her movelist. Not sure when its unlocked either. "Provie escape" is "S while blocking" but its actually performed by pressing down -> up while blocking.

Frustrating design decisions that I'm willing to tolerate in a $20 indie game, but for easily frustrated players you might want to wait for a patch / decent FAQ. Like Wolf said above, this is an NES game in good and bad ways.

yea you pretty much cant rely on the in game move list at all right now.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Dude this game fucking rules

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I just reached this event infamously being called the "milk run".

Yeah, I'm fucking done with this game.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I just reached this event infamously being called the "milk run".

Yeah, I'm fucking done with this game.

yea been reading about that , pretty much a crap shoot isnt it?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Ah, the memories.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Not really much of a tutorial to speak of just waded in and had a quick play. Figured out the jump punch move was hitting both punch and jump buttons at the same time for the move to work and that special was on right bumper.

Apart from all that, it's pretty good fun and imagine better with a group of people to co op with.

• Options
    PinDropPinDrop Registered User regular
    Wow, cool. This was one of my favorite NES games. Going to check this out once I finally wrap up Horizon.

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    I have the absolute fondest memories of playing River City Ransom with my friends when I was a kid. Thanks for sharing this; I had no idea this game existed.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    This was one of those kickstarters that I almost supported, but I felt a little wary about it for whatever reason. Glad to see it's mostly good. Sounds like they might have to do a little more tweaking.

I also played the hell out of the original RCR back in the day. No other game really did what they did back then. Scott Pilgrim was the only game that tried to replicate that formula, but for some reason I couldn't get into it despite it looking and sounding amazing.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I kind of find it funny that this appears to be way more popular than the official Kunio game that came out on the 3DS last month.

frontimage.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I kind of find it funny that this appears to be way more popular than the official Kunio game that came out on the 3DS last month.

frontimage.jpg

yea saw some video from that.. looks like a cash in title.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041