As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fitness and Weight Management

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    turns out i do get a free personal trainer session included in my gym stuff.

Went and did it yesterday, and said I wanted to focus on building up strength and a bit of endurance. And man, lifting heavier weights is super different, but a lot of the same thing carry over, which is good. It was weird to do some exercises where near the end of the sets my body would just get so exhausted that I just couldn't complete the thing all that well. I forgot what it's called, but the one where you lift from your chest to above your head. Could only get 6 lifts in my final set before the trainer stepped in and stopped it.

But it's really good. It'll be nice to have a third thing to do in a week, and I kinda like the sensation of squeeze and then relief, even if I haven't quite worked out the breathing routines yet.

Gonna go back for one more session, and then hopefully start doing it on my own.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I think you're describing an overhead press.

The overhead press has always given me the hardest time at making any gains and when it does they are minuscule.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I think you're describing an overhead press.

The overhead press has always given me the hardest time at making any gains and when it does they are minuscule.

yep, that what they were

btw, and sorry for not really knowing the terminology, but do you mean that you don't really find yourself getting much stronger from them? bc I know that my chest muscles aren't all that great, and I have a bloody hard time doing pushups.

• AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    I think Arch is specifically comparing them to the other big compound lifts (squat, bench and deadlift). When you're starting out you'll find yourself being able to pack on the weight fairly quickly with those lifts. Progressing in weight with the overhead press is, by comparison, much slower and the amount of weight you can move isn't as much.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I think what DoctorArch means is that if you do the big compound lifts (overhead press, bench press, squat, deadlift) you'll see your deadlifts and squats jumping leaps and bounds, your bench press somewhat less so, and your overhead press will struggle to go up in weight. When I did the Stronglifts program a few years ago, I was up to like a 240 lb squat, 290 deadlift, and only 115 lb on my overhead press.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    They'll make you strong, they're just hard to progress on because it's a small muscle group.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    I use half the resistance on overhead press. they're like curl gains where going up 5 pounds is a big deal

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    @Peen (and anyone else who knows), didn't you recently put together a home gym?

Wife and I were talking about putting one together so I don't have to leave early in the morning to get a workout in before work. If we go this route we would be setting up in our garage and estimate that a power rack, plates, bench and bar would be a good start (aside from rubber mats). Any thoughts based on what you put together?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    They'll make you strong, they're just hard to progress on because it's a small muscle group.

These small muscle groups shouldn't be overlooked, though. They contribute in other, larger movements, and when neglected you can really stress the rest of your body. Like, people getting too caught up on traps and missing when they're not engaging their lats enough.

What is this I don't even.
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Absolutely, it's a crucial exercise.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Peen (and anyone else who knows), didn't you recently put together a home gym?

Wife and I were talking about putting one together so I don't have to leave early in the morning to get a workout in before work. If we go this route we would be setting up in our garage and estimate that a power rack, plates, bench and bar would be a good start (aside from rubber mats). Any thoughts based on what you put together?

A rack is good. A bench is good but doesn't necessarily need to be bought right away, unless you absolutely have to bench, in which case I'd recommend an adjustable bench.

Bar, get what works for you. Do you plan on doing any Olympic weightlifting movements? Do you plan on doing less dynamic movements? Would it interest or make your wife's life easier if she had a 15kg bar that's thinner in diameter?

I went overkill on my rack because I plan on training people out of my garage eventually to supplement my income. You may find a smaller rack is fine for you.

Building a platform out of plywood and bolting the rack to that is a relatively painless process, most difficult thing is cutting horsestall mats or any other rubber surface you plan on using.

A Spud Inc. pulley system is sweet because it lets you do a few more movements than you'd normally be able to do at the house, and it's easy to set-up, move out of the way, and fairly cheap.

Troll Craigslist for plates. If you're interested in dumbbells, this is also a good route to pick up odds and ends. If you want something that you can rig up to your rack and do different stuff with, bands are good as well.

You'll probably spend more than you mean to, but if it helps just account for the money you would spend paying for the gym, as well as travel time, travel costs, ability to work out with your wife, impressing your neighbors with your grunts, etc.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    You'll probably spend more than you mean to, but if it helps just account for the money you would spend paying for the gym, as well as travel time, travel costs, ability to work out with your wife, impressing your neighbors with your grunts, etc.

For sure. My rowing machine was way over the cost of an annual gym membership but I've used it more in the last 3 months than I've been to the gym in the last 2 years. Part of that is just the fact that throwing on some shorts and a pair of trainers and walking into the basement is all I need to do to get to my "gym." I don't have to plan around stopping on the way home from work, or dealing with packing a bag to shower before work, and it keeps me much more accountable to follow a training regimen.

"textured vegetable protein"

yum

my home gym cost about $20 and I think it's great. definitely easier to motivate yourself too when it's right there

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Yeah what DL said. I got this rack and their dips handles and it's held up fine, I've been using it for almost two years. I got moderately priced stuff from reputable vendors across the board and it's worked out fine, the biggest expense will probably be the plates themselves. I got mine from a gym that was clearing out their iron, found them on Craigslist. Having your own gym is great and totally worth it if you're serious.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I went and checked out the local Y

$35 a month

Three blocks from my apartment

• Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »

yum

my home gym cost about $20 and I think it's great. definitely easier to motivate yourself too when it's right there

I don't know if that's a sarcastic yum or not, but I love TVP as a meat substitute. Great protein source and generally has good texture you can't get with tofu. Works anywhere that you'd use ground beef and can be seasoned to match whatever it is you need it to be. I'm actually trying to find a store locally that actually carries dry bags rather than these frozen seasoned ones

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    The home gym is the dream, isn't it? My friend has a weight rack in his basement and he got really swole for a while to the point where none of his clothes fit him anymore.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    more that the name is rather unappetizing. but it's the kind of thing that gives you a meal with both 20 grams of protein and fiber

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I went and checked out the local Y

$35 a month

Three blocks from my apartment

Dude that's like exactly how I've lost about 80 pounds in the last year or so.

My local y is just a freaking life saver (kinda literally in my case). Also, and I'm not sure if this is true for all divisions of the Y, they track every time you swipe into the place.

When I started this process I was very unsure I was going to have any success so I tracked nothing. I took no before photos, I hardly ever weighed in, and I didn't track when I started really hitting the gym in earnest. It was really awesome this past week being able to ask the front desk attendant to check my swipes to see when I started hitting the gym multiple times a week. Turns out it's been just about a year, and I'm very happy with what I've got accomplished in this year.

I think without the convenient placement of this y I would have crapped out on this whole thing way earlier. Like I walk over do my workout then walk home, the only reason I'm even hitting the locker room now is because it's literally freezing out and I can't be walking around in clothes soaked in sweat.

Sleep on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

yum

I don't know if that's a sarcastic yum or not, but I love TVP as a meat substitute. Great protein source and generally has good texture you can't get with tofu. Works anywhere that you'd use ground beef and can be seasoned to match whatever it is you need it to be. I'm actually trying to find a store locally that actually carries dry bags rather than these frozen seasoned ones

It must have gotten a SHITLOAD better than it used to be back in the 90s...

• Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    I don't recall offhand how it was in the 90s, I'd imagine commercially it was tossed in with frozen burritos and the such and treated as a cheap filler/extender though. Shelf stable stuff I've had has had good texture quality, but by itself is bland and plain as you'd expect from plain defatted soy. Seems to take up flavor just as well as it needs to, worked wonderfully as a ground beef substitute in chili. I dunno, I'd consider it to be the same as seitan, terrible on its own but delicious if seasoned and treated right.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I'm still fencing, still feel like I'm making no progress but I apparently am.

Yesterday's game was to stab my tutor between his finger and thumb when he had his hand placed on his chest. Thankfully I didn't miss at any point, little stuff like that is good fun.

• VicVic Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if this is entirely on topic, but I've recently bought a foam roller, and I'm pretty excited about what this thing seems to be capable of. It seems clear that it's easy to do more harm than good with it however, and I've had a hard time finding any really good tutorials on the subject. Does anyone have any tips?

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    30 seconds to 1 min per muscle you're stretching. You can repeat a few times as needed. As much pressure as you can stand without grimmacing in pain or holding your breath. Both of those are bad. Other than that, have fun. A few trigger points are lying side ways and getting into the lats, and hamstrings, quads, and hip pelvis complex.

manwiththemachinegun on
    Vic wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is entirely on topic, but I've recently bought a foam roller, and I'm pretty excited about what this thing seems to be capable of. It seems clear that it's easy to do more harm than good with it however, and I've had a hard time finding any really good tutorials on the subject. Does anyone have any tips?

http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/downloads/SMR-manual.pdf

Should have everything to get you started

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    So much for joining the Y this week

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

Also, there's limited to no real evidence that myofascial release is a real thing and that foam rollers aren't just self massage. But the good news is: self massage is really beneficial anyway! So, just use the foam roller to give yourself a nice massage all over.

What is this I don't even.
    Whatever you want to call it, foam rolling will never hurt*

*provided you're not already injured or using something that is too hard

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    fuck you, knee, I'm going for a run and you can't stop me.

(I may not return).

• Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    fuck you, knee, I'm going for a run and you can't stop me.

(I may not return).

Just return without the knee - problem solved!

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Wife did having an operation next week and isn't going to be able to do more than walk for exercise.

Unfortunately it also coincides with her friends visiting this weekend. So the next few weeks will be bad.

On the plus side I'm feeling the thinnest I've felt for ages and clothes and getting loose. Wife has consistently lost 1lb a week despite every now and then we mess up and eat badly. Annoying my actual weight according to our scales isn't going down much but I've been working out a lot so I'm not just losing fat but gaining muscle as well.

Hopefully she'll be able to swim a few weeks after the operation and then I can go to the gym while she's there.

had a second session with a trainer that was mostly to determine my strength limits since i'd said to him that I was mostly training to increase my strength, rather than focusing on weight loss etc

first of all doing high weight lifts is really weird because you get so much time in between sets that I didn't come out of the whole session feeling exhausted, even if I realise how much I'd been doing

but yeah, after doing a number of different sets at gradually increasing bar weight, turns out that my various maxes are 3 squat reps at 80 kilos, 3 bench reps at 50 kilos and 2 squatting row (upright row? maybe, but not upright, with a slight bend in the knees, and lifting from the knees to the belly button while bent over) at 80 kilos. Managed to keep a decent technique throughout all of them.

Which i'm pretty proud of for starting out, but we'll see how different it is when I'm doing regular sets.

edited March 2017
    Bent-over row.

Also, good numbers! Good work

Dead Legend on
    I'm eating a second dinner. turning into a god damn hobbit

I'm eating a second dinner. turning into a god damn hobbit

The problem is when elevensies happens at both elevens on the clock.

• VicVic Registered User regular

Thank you very much!

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    The past tow days has shown me how much my appetite for greasy or sweet food has diminished since I've improved my eating habits.

We've been entertaining guests all weekend and we feel so horrible after all the food we've had.

Hopefully we can have a few good days at the gym and eating less before my wife's surgery.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Pretty amazing isn't it after you make the switch?

manwiththemachinegun on
  • pots+panspots+pans Registered User regular
    Has anyone got any tips on how to exercise without moving one arm? I fractured my elbow pretty badly last month. Before that, all I did was run a few times a week & lift some of my housemate’s weights. Unfortunately, running's not possible currently (moving my arm hurts too much) and I can’t even lift a cup at the moment, let alone anything heavier!

I’d like to do something though - 6 weeks of doing nothing has me feeling a little glum. All I can think of is maybe buying a cheap exercise bike? I have another physiotherapy appointment tomorrow so I’m going to ask them for some suggestions but if anyone here has any ideas I’d love to hear them!

This discussion has been closed.