As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2017 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

• Jedson3614Jedson3614 Registered User new member
    Can someone please explain the shuttles as it is sooooooooo confusing. let me elaborate, I see the damn route schedule on the travel page YET, I booked a hotel that says it's part of route 7 and I receive my confirmation email for the hotel booking and in that email, it says NO shuttle provided. I also noticed another hotel that inst on the shuttle list but when you click the hotel it says there is a shuttle, I am so confused as this contradicts itself from the shuttle schedule.

Does the shuttle mean it picks me up from the hotel if it's in one of the routes and brings me to the convention center?

• KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Jedson3614 wrote: »
    Can someone please explain the shuttles as it is sooooooooo confusing. let me elaborate, I see the damn route schedule on the travel page YET, I booked a hotel that says it's part of route 7 and I receive my confirmation email for the hotel booking and in that email, it says NO shuttle provided. I also noticed another hotel that inst on the shuttle list but when you click the hotel it says there is a shuttle, I am so confused as this contradicts itself from the shuttle schedule.

Does the shuttle mean it picks me up from the hotel if it's in one of the routes and brings me to the convention center?

I'm not sure that the Hotel Confirmation would say anything about the shuttle - it's organized by PAX I believe. Sometimes the data on either side is out of date or incorrect so you're best calling the hotel to confirm or asking upon check-in. But yes - if the hotel is on a route, the bus would stop there and bring you to the back of the convention center.

The shuttle can be a mixed bag. The busses can fill up at the earlier hotels (especially during rush hour) and skip later stops because they are totally filled up. My first pax in 2013 was like that - we waited over an hour for a shuttle to actually stop for us, but we were in Chinatown which is only a mile from the convention center. I would highly recommend taking the subway (much, much faster) or walking. Surprisingly, the walk from most places is quite reasonable unless you're way out there.

Keroan on
  • BigDumbHippyBigDumbHippy Registered User regular
    Can I check a bag at the coatcheck on friday?

• coflroptercoflropter Registered User regular
    asked this in my lyft thread but its kinda dead atm, Is it better to have lyft drop you off at Lawn on the D or directly at the BCEC ?

Last year I got picked up over on the Lawn. It's pretty dead over in that area, so it was easier to navigate than the front of the BCEC

VEIYCZd.png
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Can I check a bag at the coatcheck on friday?
    Last year I checked a bag for a nominal fee on Sunday. I assume the same will be the case this year. However, if all else fails, 2 years ago I was checking in boxes of PAX Steins every day for $5 a box in the Westin lobby. They're more than happy to take your money if it comes down to that.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • tmbrtmbr Registered User new member
    Is there an age restriction for the pc area (the area with a ton of computers)? I am not quite 18 but want to know if I can still use it.

• MrBroadstoneMrBroadstone Registered User regular
    There are no formal age restrictions at PAX.

• yutani sanyutani san MaineRegistered User regular
    Jedson3614 wrote: »

Im pretty sure it just means the actual hotel doesnt offer a shuttle, its not talking about the PAX shuttle. My hotel says know shuttle when I booked, and I am 100% sure it does use the PAX shuttle.

Not sure how unfamiliar you are with the shuttles, but they are designated coach busses that are marked for PAX attendees only, and your hotel should have a shuttle schedule inside and also on the curb so you know where to wait. Ive used them for 3 years now and its amazing free transportation. Just be sure to allow at least 30-45 minutes for travel, as you may be waiting 20 minutes or so if you just missed a shuttle.

Also like someone said, sometimes if you have multiple stops and the bus is full they will skip the next stop. Ive been fortunate that my hotel is always the first stop, but Ive seen the driver make a call back to HQ and let them know they need a bus specifically for the 2nd or 3rd hotel.

tmbr wrote: »
    Is there an age restriction for the pc area (the area with a ton of computers)? I am not quite 18 but want to know if I can still use it.
    There are no formal age restrictions at PAX.
    For the most part, there are no age restrictions. Occasionally you'll find a something that requires 18+, but that's rare. You should be fine to do most of what you want to do at PAX. If you do run into something that requires 18+, just try to understand that the folks are doing their job, so just nile and smod.

• MrBroadstoneMrBroadstone Registered User regular
    Occasionally exhibitors on expo floor will restrict something to 18+ for reasons like ratings.

• BurstLimitBurstLimit Registered User new member
    Is PAX Arena for pros only or is it open to all? Also, is there a registration limit? Want to know if I need to be there super early.

• MagneticImageMagneticImage Registered User regular
    BurstLimit wrote: »
    Is PAX Arena for pros only or is it open to all? Also, is there a registration limit? Want to know if I need to be there super early.

You watch pros play.

• PavioPavio Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    BurstLimit wrote: »

You watch pros play.

Actually, it's largely for attendees. I did Rocket League at PAX West once, Overwatch last year at East... it just depends.

Edit: I looked and found info for this year:

Pic:
    9rumx1qwysb1.png

Pavio on
    v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    ESRB Ratings are enforced at PAX, but that seems to mostly be for M rated demos.

YL9WnCY.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    ESRB Ratings are enforced at PAX, but that seems to mostly be for M rated demos.
    This is not a hard rule. Some exhibitors enforce it, some don't.

I'm going to bring my 5 year old to a Teen rated game, just to feel like a rebel

• HazelHalfBloodHazelHalfBlood Unapologetic Dungeons and Dragons Enthusiast New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Someone might have already answered this but has the PAX XP section of the PAX App updated to a working screen?

PAX Unplugged 2018 .... We Have Our...Passes [X] Hotel [X] Bus [..] Packed [..]

2afaq20.png

Proud Cookie Brigade Supporter
  • HojomommyHojomommy Registered User new member
    edited March 2017
    Hey, this is my first time going to PAX, rather any convention ever. I've never done any massive meet and greets, community-driven get togethers, not even a local game night. So I feel a little overwhelmed.

Don't worry, I'm not scared, I'm super excited for all the adventuring that's about to commence, and I'm very extroverted so I have no fear of meeting new people. My anxiety more comes from what the hell Im gonna be doing the whole time.

So here's my question: as a first timer, what should I be doing? Where should I go? I really have no clue where to even start. I've looked at the event schedule and tried to figure out some kind of plan, but there's so much going on that I don't even know how to approach it.

Sorry if this isn't the place to ask this question and thanks in advance!

Hojomommy on
  • Slim978Slim978 Registered User new member
    This is my second time going to pax and i really dont have a clue about much. I am attending Saturday and i want to know how i can register for tournaments and all of the other good stuff

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Tournaments (top)

When do I sign up for tournaments?
    Tournament registration is Friday or Day of. Look out for each departments Tournament thread for specific information when it gets close to PAX. If there's no thread for the tournament type you are interested in, head to that department asap when you get to pax to get the information! Get there early, most tournaments fill up within an hour or two of PAX opening.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • DanQDanQ Registered User regular
    yea, basically go to the location where the tournaments are held first thing the day of (only a couple of really long games have early friday sign ups). And as a general note, they are not hardcore esports level of seriousness. If you look at the choices of games, you'll notice a bunch which have no competitive scene, and even the ones which do aren't necessarily the same rulesets as pro esports tournaments. They are for fun.

• DanQDanQ Registered User regular
    Hojomommy wrote: »
    Hey, this is my first time going to PAX, rather any convention ever. I've never done any massive meet and greets, community-driven get togethers, not even a local game night. So I feel a little overwhelmed.

Don't worry, I'm not scared, I'm super excited for all the adventuring that's about to commence, and I'm very extroverted so I have no fear of meeting new people. My anxiety more comes from what the hell Im gonna be doing the whole time.

So here's my question: as a first timer, what should I be doing? Where should I go? I really have no clue where to even start. I've looked at the event schedule and tried to figure out some kind of plan, but there's so much going on that I don't even know how to approach it.

People will give you lots of advice. me personally, I don't wait in any line over 15 minutes and I suggest the same to everyone else. Others disagree with that. But I think the one thing most will agree is that you can't be married to a plan. You'll find things you didn't expect and want to spend time with. lines will be longer than you think. you will get tired. etc... Pick a single thing each day which is absolute must do and be ok with compromising and maybe missing everything else. But if you expect to chain 5 events in a row you will be disappointed cause I'm willing to be it won't happen the way you are planning right now.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

@marino has been making guides to PAX for several years now. Give it a thorough read. It is somewhat focused on Giant Bomb, but for a person new to conventions, it's got a lot of good info.

edited March 2017

Typically, I go into PAX with a goal for the year. One year it was to spend more time in the Indie segment, another was to spend more time in tabletop, another was to attend more panels. My first year was just "What the hell is this thing?" and I kind of wandered around. The big question is "Right now, what are you most interested about in the gaming community that you have difficulty finding on your own?" If it's indie games, they have the Indie Megabooth. If it's tabletop, they have an entire area dedicated to it. If you're going for only one day, you may want to prioritize what you want to see. Some people are huge on the "must see it before the public" ideal, so they have no problem waiting in hour-long lines. Personally, if I can see it in 2 months, I'd rather invest my time doing a bunch of other small things that I typically wouldn't be able to, like talking to developers about their games. They're really excited to be there and you will definitely find some diamonds in the rough.

Every year, I spend the first hour or two just walking around checking random stuff out and getting a feel for things. I akin it to a scouting operation and use what I find to help better plan the rest of the weekend.

One sound piece of advice I would give you is to ask anyone anything that is PAX related when you are there. 90% of the people are more than willing to tell you what they know, including they game they are currently playing. So if you are looking for a specific room, something to do, or general questions, just ask someone.

Le_Goat on
  • yutani sanyutani san MaineRegistered User regular

PAX is very overwhelming, even for someone like me who has gone for 5 years now. I think the key is not to try to do everything. Really. You ever go someplace like disneyworld and there is SO MUCH to do but you know you can't possibly do everything, you have to pick and choose. Look at the schedule, and download the GuideBook app. You can setup your own personal schedule using Guidebook and that will help so you dont miss the big things you really want to do.

Downtime is good, because the days are long and you want to take breaks as needed. I personally hit the Expo floor first and probably spend the most of my time there. If I dont have something to do, dont need to eat or rest Im on the Expo floor. You can circle it 100 times and still find things you missed before.

If you like panels, I'd recommend picking 1-2 panels a day you are interested in. Spend your time right now looking at the schedule and pick out ones that interest you. Maybe one in the morning, one in the afternoon. Give yourself 30-60 minutes to line up for it, depending on how popular it is. They do get full. If you dont use Twitter, you need to. Follow Official Pax and Pax lines and they will gives lives updates on the status of lines for panels being capped.

I think going in with a general plan is best, but allow plenty of time where you can do anything you want. Sometimes just walking around you will stumble into something cool. Maybe even go to something you dont know anything about, you may be suprised how fun it is.

Also the concerts are awesome and I highly recommend.

• KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    My first time at PAX I barely slept and didn't eat anything except for dinner and some small snacks because I wanted to really get my hands into all the activities I could. I was a total wreck by the time I flew home! I totally agree with yutani san, you need to make a schedule and remember that you'll come back someday to try other things!

I try to switch it up every year. My first year was heavy on panels but this year I'm going to try to spend more time in the console freeplay area away from the main convention. Friday is a great day to scan the floor and get a feel for what demos you want to try - Sunday is the least "heavy" traffic day so sometimes that's the best time to get in lines for things. I use Friday as my big Merch day since vendors will sell out of things by Sunday! Saturday is my panel day since Saturday is the most popular day on the floor. Also, the floor will calm down in the afternoon so stick around for PAX Arena :)

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I've never actually hit the console/PC freeplay areas. I really should get in one of them this year.

I've never actually hit the console/PC freeplay areas. I really should get in one of them this year.
    I've always wanted to, but when I have the time, the line is crazy long. When it is short, I'm on my way to get in line for a panel. It never pans out for me. Maybe I should make that a goal this year.

Le_Goat wrote: »
    I've always wanted to, but when I have the time, the line is crazy long. When it is short, I'm on my way to get in line for a panel. It never pans out for me. Maybe I should make that a goal this year.

The lines actually go very quickly, at least for PC freeplay. For console freeplay, it can take a while but usually isn't bad.

v6h3hfs2v597.png
    Does anyone know how the badge pickup works at East? I've done it at PAX West so I know generally what's needed, so specifically I am wondering how, if we're all outside waiting to get in, how do I get in to get my badge? It says North Lobby in the e-mail I got, and the map in the mobile app shows it inside as well near the info booth and merch lite.

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    So I know the Convention Center has open access wifi. In the past it was terrible, but I know they were supposed to do a major upgrade last year. Did anyone use it consistently last year with good results? I know someone trying to decide if they need to get a personal hotspot for some wifi only devices to be able to do some demos.

• TemigTemig East [E] North Shore - MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Pavio wrote: »
    Does anyone know how the badge pickup works at East? I've done it at PAX West so I know generally what's needed, so specifically I am wondering how, if we're all outside waiting to get in, how do I get in to get my badge? It says North Lobby in the e-mail I got, and the map in the mobile app shows it inside as well near the info booth and merch lite.

@Pavio - That is correct. The main entrance to the BCEC drops you in to the North Lobby. Right in the middle near the front in the Info Booth with Merch Lite behind that along the wall overlooking the Expo Hall. To the right will be the Registration Desk with Will-Call for badges and whatnot. The Lobby itself is accessible without a badge, but access to the Hall, Theaters, Tabletop, Freeplay areas, etc. requires a badge.
    So I know the Convention Center has open access wifi. In the past it was terrible, but I know they were supposed to do a major upgrade last year. Did anyone use it consistently last year with good results? I know someone trying to decide if they need to get a personal hotspot for some wifi only devices to be able to do some demos.

@Snarfmaster - Anecdotally speaking, the WiFi seemed better last year for sure. That being said, if *I* was paying the money and putting in the time to exhibit and knew I needed WiFi I would not likely rely on the free public WiFi provided.

Temig on
    JQ1qRPt.png
  • CabadrinCabadrin Boston, MARegistered User regular

If you are demoing, I'll always suggest you get a personal hotspot. Otherwise you can't guarantee that your internet will be stable enough to demo. Even with my own hotspots and the expensive show internet, I run into problems with too many Wifi signals in the area.

e2TtnRd.png
    Temig wrote: »

@Pavio - That is correct. The main entrance to the BCEC drops you in to the North Lobby. Right in the middle near the front in the Info Booth with Merch Lite behind that along the wall overlooking the Expo Hall. To the right will be the Registration Desk with Will-Call for badges and whatnot. The Lobby itself is accessible without a badge, but access to the Hall, Theaters, Tabletop, Freeplay areas, etc. requires a badge.

So when they herd us in after security to take us to a queue area, I'll just be able to walk over to that and then jump back in the queue line when I have my badge then, right? Thanks!

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • TemigTemig East [E] North Shore - MARegistered User regular
    Temig wrote: »

So when they herd us in after security to take us to a queue area, I'll just be able to walk over to that and then jump back in the queue line when I have my badge then, right? Thanks!

Yep. There's some general directing going on once the doors are open to usher people towards the Queue Room or Theater Lines, but you won't have any issues getting to Reg. for badge pickup and then joining in the march to the Queue

JQ1qRPt.png
  • The_RiDLRThe_RiDLR Registered User new member
    Hi there!

So I do a lot of running tournaments and helping out at events, though admittedly nothing quite as huge as this. I would absolutely love to help out, however. It may be too late for 2017, but what are the procedures for signing on as a "gopher" or "enforcer" at these events? Do helpers get badges and staff rooms? I would really love to give any kind of assistance I can to make things run smoothly; it's sort of what I do.

A direct message might be easier for me to catch, but i'll check on this when I can.

Thanks!

• SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    Cabadrin wrote: »

If you are demoing, I'll always suggest you get a personal hotspot. Otherwise you can't guarantee that your internet will be stable enough to demo. Even with my own hotspots and the expensive show internet, I run into problems with too many Wifi signals in the area.

Yeah I'm a wireless network engineer and an environment like a convention hall full of people is an absolute nightmare. I know they've upgraded to a few hundred more Aruba Aps than they had the year before, but I wasn't actively using it last year. THey're going to get a hotspot, but cell towers are also overloaded so it's not that much more reliable.

• jester44jester44 Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    My friend is unable to go. Are we allowed to sell passes on this board, or is it against the rules? If it's OK, is there a special place for it? Thank you!

zerzhul on
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    jester44 wrote: »
    My friend is unable to go. Are we allowed to sell passes on this board, or is it against the rules? If it's OK, is there a special place for it? Thank you!

Nope, no selling, buying, or trading here. A popular place is reddit's PAX Pass Exchange.

zerzhul on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    The_RiDLR wrote: »
    Hi there!

So I do a lot of running tournaments and helping out at events, though admittedly nothing quite as huge as this. I would absolutely love to help out, however. It may be too late for 2017, but what are the procedures for signing on as a "gopher" or "enforcer" at these events? Do helpers get badges and staff rooms? I would really love to give any kind of assistance I can to make things run smoothly; it's sort of what I do.

A direct message might be easier for me to catch, but i'll check on this when I can.

Thanks!

Yes, too late for this year.

Should there be a need for more Enforcers, there will be an announcement about 2 months before the show. There will be a form to fill out; treat it like a job application, because it is.

Yes to comp'd badges, no to comp'd rooms

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?