As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2017 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

14567810»

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    The_RiDLR wrote: »
    So I do a lot of running tournaments and helping out at events, though admittedly nothing quite as huge as this. I would absolutely love to help out, however. It may be too late for 2017, but what are the procedures for signing on as a "gopher" or "enforcer" at these events? Do helpers get badges and staff rooms? I would really love to give any kind of assistance I can to make things run smoothly; it's sort of what I do.

It is indeed too late for PAX East this year. If more Enforcers are needed a call for applications will go ou out about 3-4 months prior to the show. You will be able to find info on paxsite.com, and sometimes via twitter. http://east.paxsite.com/enforcers

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • The_RiDLRThe_RiDLR Registered User new member
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Hi there!

So I do a lot of running tournaments and helping out at events, though admittedly nothing quite as huge as this. I would absolutely love to help out, however. It may be too late for 2017, but what are the procedures for signing on as a "gopher" or "enforcer" at these events? Do helpers get badges and staff rooms? I would really love to give any kind of assistance I can to make things run smoothly; it's sort of what I do.

A direct message might be easier for me to catch, but i'll check on this when I can.

Thanks!

Yes, too late for this year.

Should there be a need for more Enforcers, there will be an announcement about 2 months before the show. There will be a form to fill out; treat it like a job application, because it is.

Yes to comp'd badges, no to comp'd rooms

Awesome, thank you. I'm assuming the announcement would be here? Or on the main website?

Next question. Who runs the video game tournaments? Is it one org that does it all? Is is multiple? Does Penny arcade handle all of that internally? My org does this sort of thing every week, so trying to help conventions have solid, well run events is something I'm interested in bringing in the future.

• TemigTemig East [E] North Shore - MARegistered User regular
    Hi there!

A direct message might be easier for me to catch, but i'll check on this when I can.

Thanks!

Yes, too late for this year.

Should there be a need for more Enforcers, there will be an announcement about 2 months before the show. There will be a form to fill out; treat it like a job application, because it is.

Yes to comp'd badges, no to comp'd rooms

Awesome, thank you. I'm assuming the announcement would be here? Or on the main website?

Next question. Who runs the video game tournaments? Is it one org that does it all? Is is multiple? Does Penny arcade handle all of that internally? My org does this sort of thing every week, so trying to help conventions have solid, well run events is something I'm interested in bringing in the future.

The tournaments are all run by PA/the Enforcers. There are departments that handle them specifically, but just know that the tournaments are intentionally not run like those that you may run weekly as they are intended to be fun, not overly competitive, events that even more casual gamers can enjoy. That being said, the management skills you have likely picked up in terms of keeping things flowing smoothly, etc. are likely useful! As was mentioned above, treat it like a job application if you decide to sign up (if the call goes out), because it essentially is one. And do it for the right reason: wanting to make PAX awesome for the Attendees. As an Enforcer you will very likely see less of PAX, not more, so if you do it for the wrong reasons you may end up disappointed. Doing it for the right reasons, however, makes for a truly awesome experience!

(And just to get it out of the way: The requirements to apply to be an Enforcer include that you be at least 18 years old and be legally able to work in the U.S.)

JQ1qRPt.png
  • TheCharmanderAlsoRisesTheCharmanderAlsoRises EastRegistered User new member
    Hello all! It's my first PAX this year and I'm curious about PAX XP. Is this something you need to get or is it optional? Thanks in advance!

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    entirely optional

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Hello all! It's my first PAX this year and I'm curious about PAX XP. Is this something you need to get or is it optional? Thanks in advance!
    PAX XP is an optional side quest that you may obtain at any level and throughout any point during your PAX adventure. Typically it has involved searching through the entire show for QR codes that you scan, each revealing a small piece of the puzzle and mystery that is PAX XP. Once complete, you show the results to the proper authorities and claim your rewards.

I totally beefed that up, but it really is fun trying to run around finding them all. If you're only at PAX for one day, it probably isn't worth your time searching for them.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • TemigTemig East [E] North Shore - MARegistered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    PAX XP is an optional side quest that you may obtain at any level and throughout any point during your PAX adventure. Typically it has involved searching through the entire show for QR codes that you scan, each revealing a small piece of the puzzle and mystery that is PAX XP. Once complete, you show the results to the proper authorities and claim your rewards.

I totally beefed that up, but it really is fun trying to run around finding them all. If you're only at PAX for one day, it probably isn't worth your time searching for them.

From what I heard from South, PAX XP was expanded beyond the old "find the QR code banners" and has gone more HiTech so it might be worth investigating further, even for just a single day ;)

JQ1qRPt.png
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Yes, PAX XP is now "find the stations and scan the QR code on your badge". The good news is that you no longer need working data to record your progress as it's done on our end.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Streetlight345Streetlight345 Seekonk, MARegistered User regular
    Does the merch lite begin selling to people at 8am or 10 am?

OgqpDBS.png
    PAX East 2019!
    Badges [X] Hotel [X] Time off request [X]
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Streetlight345
  • yutani sanyutani san MaineRegistered User regular
    Yes, PAX XP is now "find the stations and scan the QR code on your badge". The good news is that you no longer need working data to record your progress as it's done on our end.

I havent signed up for this yet and probably could answer my own question if I did.... but im going for all 3 days, but have 3 separate badges of course all with different numbers. Can you register all 3 badges under one account?

• The_RiDLRThe_RiDLR Registered User new member
    edited March 2017
    Temig wrote: »
    The tournaments are all run by PA/the Enforcers. There are departments that handle them specifically, but just know that the tournaments are intentionally not run like those that you may run weekly as they are intended to be fun, not overly competitive, events that even more casual gamers can enjoy. That being said, the management skills you have likely picked up in terms of keeping things flowing smoothly, etc. are likely useful! As was mentioned above, treat it like a job application if you decide to sign up (if the call goes out), because it essentially is one. And do it for the right reason: wanting to make PAX awesome for the Attendees. As an Enforcer you will very likely see less of PAX, not more, so if you do it for the wrong reasons you may end up disappointed. Doing it for the right reasons, however, makes for a truly awesome experience!

(And just to get it out of the way: The requirements to apply to be an Enforcer include that you be at least 18 years old and be legally able to work in the U.S.)

Thank you for all your info! I've run casual events, and I'll be 31 by 2018, so I think I'll qualify ;) being an enforcer and seeing less of the event is fine with me. At most of my events, I barely get to watch a set played because I'm busy running around. I get my satisfaction from an event running like a well oiled machine, especially if I'm the oil :)

Thanks again! I'll be on the lookout for that application.

zerzhul on
  • BenzillaistBenzillaist Registered User new member
    Hello! Where is the booth of with Draegast? Please tell me.

• randy_wreckedrandy_wrecked Gunslinger Harrisburg, PARegistered User regular
    Is buttoneering no longer a thing at PAX East? It looks like the website and app haven't been updated in quite a while.

Video Game Hangover is a podcast for gamers who overindulge.
    Put it in your ear holes.
  • divisiontendivisionten Registered User regular
    yutani san wrote: »

I havent signed up for this yet and probably could answer my own question if I did.... but im going for all 3 days, but have 3 separate badges of course all with different numbers. Can you register all 3 badges under one account?

Yes. You type them in one at a time but can register multiple day badges to one account

• Fusion322Fusion322 Registered User new member
    For the Rocket League tournament...
    Do we need to have a teammate or can we be matched?
    Is it only for players from a specific platform?

Is buttoneering no longer a thing at PAX East? It looks like the website and app haven't been updated in quite a while.
    It's pretty much no longer a thing in general, unfortunately. I know a few folks still bring personal buttons with them to hand out to people they meet though.

• ParamatthewParamatthew CTRegistered User new member
    HALP

Second year at PaxEast but first staying overnight (Saturday night at the Westin). Trying to figure out best timing for arriving Saturday and checking into hotel. Obviously getting up there at 8 we wont be able to check into the hotel yet. Is there hotel parking and can they hold our bags for the day until we can check in? How do others time this? THANKS! I'm nauseous with excitement to experience Saturday night activities, only went Sunday last year.

• robirexrobirex BostonRegistered User regular
    HALP

Second year at PaxEast but first staying overnight (Saturday night at the Westin). Trying to figure out best timing for arriving Saturday and checking into hotel. Obviously getting up there at 8 we wont be able to check into the hotel yet. Is there hotel parking and can they hold our bags for the day until we can check in? How do others time this? THANKS! I'm nauseous with excitement to experience Saturday night activities, only went Sunday last year.

Hey man, I'm right there with you. It's going to be an awesome time. If you call the Westin they'll tell you the specifics and someone can correct me, but I don't think they have parking. I think they put you in a garage nearby that they are affiliated with though. Similar to other hotels in the area. The hotel will definitely hold your bags though. That shouldn't be an issue. I would travel in, they'll have like a temporary spot you can park to unload your stuff, then you can either have a valet park for you or you can choose to park yourself and they'll direct you to where. I think valet parking is pretty expensive though if I remember correctly so keep that in mind.

6pq9je4.png
  • ParamatthewParamatthew CTRegistered User new member
    robirex wrote: »
    HALP

Hey man, I'm right there with you. It's going to be an awesome time. If you call the Westin they'll tell you the specifics and someone can correct me, but I don't think they have parking. I think they put you in a garage nearby that they are affiliated with though. Similar to other hotels in the area. The hotel will definitely hold your bags though. That shouldn't be an issue. I would travel in, they'll have like a temporary spot you can park to unload your stuff, then you can either have a valet park for you or you can choose to park yourself and they'll direct you to where. I think valet parking is pretty expensive though if I remember correctly so keep that in mind.

Hey thanks! Yeah I finally found some info on Westin's site. Their valet is $46 per night which is actually not much more than their self park garage at $24-36 per day. About par for the course in Boston. I'll have to call tomorrow to see if they'll hold our bags that early for the day rather than leave them in the car. Then just have to decide when to take a break Saturday afternoon and check in/recharge etc.

• lauren0rzlauren0rz Registered User regular

Merch lite will begin selling at 9 am according to Official PAX twitter.

qtjvjrS.png
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    lauren0rz wrote: »

Merch lite will begin selling at 9 am according to Official PAX twitter.

That is only part of the story. Merch Lite is usually the only place the Limited Edition show pins are sold. So the line forms hours before it opens and will be quite long when it opens. So anybody who wants to buy when it opens will have been in line over an hour.

• tmbrtmbr Registered User new member
    Can you get into pax as a kid?

Or do you need an adult
    I'm guessing the answer is you can get in as a kid
    But it's really crowded

• cpc197ccpc197c Registered User regular
    tmbr wrote: »

Or do you need an adult
    But it's really crowded

http://east.paxsite.com/faq#are-there-age-restrictions-to-pax-east

BP8CyRA.png
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    tmbr wrote: »

Or do you need an adult
    But it's really crowded
    The concern with kids is not just that it is crowded, but it is so damn huge. Anyone can get lost inside there, so now image a kid having no idea where their parents are or how to find them. We've been talking to my girlfriends kids about how important it will be to not stray from us. A simple blink and a 4' kid can easily get lost in the traffic of people moving.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    Depending on how old the child is, I wouldn't let them out of your sight. Like Le_Goat is saying, it's huge and super crowded so getting lost may take a long time to find your other party.

I would make sure the child knows to go back to somewhere common if they get lost (The info desk is probably the best bet there, right at the entrance). If they need help, let them know to find an enforcer (red shirts with giant ENFORCER on the back / Plus they have unique badges) to help them.

BP8CyRA.png
  • kojima91kojima91 Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I'm looking to sign up for the Double Dash Tournament, but have seen NO information regarding the rules or how it's even done. Could anyone who has participated before let me know what it's like (150cc, Best of 3, etc.)? Thanks!

• stardust462stardust462 Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    Does anyone know how early the parking lot at the BCEC opens up? Would getting there at 7am be too early?

Does anyone know how early the parking lot at the BCEC opens up? Would getting there at 7am be too early?
    Parking lot has been open that early from past experience.

BP8CyRA.png
  • ElodinnElodinn Registered User new member
    How do the Tabletop Tournaments work? Is there some kind of elimination at work/round robin/etc? Are there any prizes?

If it's blocked out from 1-9pm and another one you want to play in starts at 8, can you not do it, or can you assume you'll be eliminated or finish a game without enough time to start and finish another by that point?

• BinaryPieBinaryPie Registered User regular
    cpc197c wrote: »

The FAQ on the PAX site says parking opens 6AM each day.

How early does the parking fill up? Previous years I've gotten a nearby hotel, but this year I'm only going one day and I realize I know very little about the parking situation there. Trying to figure out how early I need to go to actually be able to park at BCEC or at least nearby.

• ervtronervtron PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    So Samurai Jack premiers this Saturday, with not too much going on party wise does anyone know of any viewing parties or events going on for that?

BinaryPie wrote: »

How early does the parking fill up? Previous years I've gotten a nearby hotel, but this year I'm only going one day and I realize I know very little about the parking situation there. Trying to figure out how early I need to go to actually be able to park at BCEC or at least nearby.

I showed up at 9:30 one year, and there were no spots in the back lot. Every other lot you could use was much further from the center and costed much more, so I didn't make that mistake. Though coming in for 8am seemed to be fine if I remember correctly.
    This year hotel...

BP8CyRA.png
  • ltgruntltgrunt Registered User regular
    BinaryPie wrote: »

I showed up at 9:30 one year, and there were no spots in the back lot. Every other lot you could use was much further from the center and costed much more, so I didn't make that mistake. Though coming in for 8am seemed to be fine if I remember correctly.
    This year hotel...

This will be our fourth year. We always show up as close to 8:00 AM as we can, and the lot has had plenty of space at that time. Parking definitely seems to be an "early bird gets the worm" kind of thing.

mkf6ad9.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Is the shuttle just kind of kidding? It didn't show up at 9 at holiday inn Brookline, and still hasn't shown up at 1015 either.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Is the shuttle just kind of kidding? It didn't show up at 9 at holiday inn Brookline, and still hasn't shown up at 1015 either.
    It's possible that they filled up at earlier stops, but I don't know the schedule or the routes at the moment. I believe there *are* still shuttles. You could try tweeting at official_pax for a response

• QuantumShaddowQuantumShaddow Registered User regular
    Does anyone know what time the registration for the Sun&Moon tournament is tomorrow? Trying to plan what time to get to the Convention Center.

3DS FC: 4441-8382-3645
    Switch: SW-7634-0399-6788

QGqFhNv.png
  • BeantownZombieBeantownZombie Registered User new member
    I had a guy give me two passes from his lanyard for saturday for me and my daughter to check it out i assume they are legit since they have the pax stickers on then?

ps I am an uber driver so i picked him and his group up from there.

I had a guy give me two passes from his lanyard for saturday for me and my daughter to check it out i assume they are legit since they have the pax stickers on then?

ps I am an uber driver so i picked him and his group up from there.
    you can go to the info desk at the very front of the convention center and have them checked

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know what time the registration for the Sun&Moon tournament is tomorrow? Trying to plan what time to get to the Convention Center.

As soon as the show opens.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?