As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Top Gear

• MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was half hoping that:
    They were going to play it mostly straight and James was going to load his Maserati into a cargo plane at the airport in the complete opposite direction and then fly back for the easy win.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    If Clarkson has been training to drift for 27 years, that must mean he's been... running in the 90s

• bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Not so impressed with Hammond's ice cream "joke". C'mon, guys, you're better than that.

I saw a post or something about this and it seriously has me considering whether I want to watch the show at all. That and some of Clarkson's other comments in the first few episodes (and the meat car).

That said, the special will likely draw me back in.

Apparently it's a reference to an infamous icecream commercial in finland. Which doesn't make it a good joke, but at least provides some context for it, rather than Hammond just blurting homophobic insults.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Cant watch the vid at work, buuuuuuuut if thats the new trio, I'm in.

Much better.
    Just hope they get Sabine in from time to time and cut the shit out of the guest interviews. Having two at once was probably the dumbest thing they ever did.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    It would be nice if The Grand Tour and Top Gear aired when the other is on break.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    I have never seen the "new" Top Gear - but that actually doesn't look too bad.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    There's some promise in that trailer. Feeling cautiously optimistic.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    If Clarkson has been training to drift for 27 years, that must mean he's been... running in the 90s

I appreciate this reference.

• Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

The last series was better than it got credit for, altough it did have a shaky start.

I liked the fact that they would go into the mechanics and feel of racing. Having one of the presenters be an actual racing driver certainly helped.

Mc zany on
  • SealSeal Registered User regular
    Top Gear UK is looking promising.

Dutch news teased about a top gear presentator having died...any news on that?

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    google search brings up nothing.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Nope thats why im asking. Probably nothing to see here

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Leblanc seems to be in charge now. Hes a TG fan so I expect the tone to be familiar.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

Leblanc seems to be in charge now. Hes a TG fan so I expect the tone to be familiar.

Didnt he basically say make me show runner or I quit?

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

That may be the case. Im fine with that too tbh. A friends demolition derby is closer than ever now.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.

No it was "fire Chris Evans or I quit". Which seems to be a shared sentiment with the rest of the team.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

No it was "fire Chris Evans or I quit". Which seems to be a shared sentiment with the rest of the team.

And the viewerships, I'd say.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Just finished up Grand Tour last night.

Very disappointing overall. No memorable races, the two part travel episode was dull by their standards, and I can't remember a single challenge that made me laugh. The in studio stuff was useless, and the American is insultingly awful.

I understand that Clarkson is anti-environmentalism, and I can take a joke...but lord above, almost every film in every episode? We get it man...

the anti-environmentalism schtick is getting less funny everytime I get a glimpse of the receding icecaps.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
    edited March 2017
    Fifteen Twenty minutes in and I'm actually quite digging this new TG episode.
    Chris Harris ragging the Ferrari FXXK around Daytona.

James McAvoy is the guest and there is very little waffling. The new Reasonably Fast car is a Toyota GT86. No timed lap (yet). The rallycross track is gone, the classic track is back. LeBlanc slicing things up with a gargantuan pressure washer. Harris nerding out over continuity errors regarding cars in movies.

This is pretty fun.

The big film is
    driving across Kazakhstan in three old clunkers with at least 480,000 miles on the clock. Pretty classic TG setup. And it's good so far. Even some of The Terminator soundtrack!

After part 1 of that, now it's time for the timed lap, okay.

And back to the big film.
    Star Wars and, gloriously, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (again) on the soundtrack!
    Quick guest appearance from the 1994 Volvo 850 estate touring car! Yes!

I haven't mentioned the new studio design as well. It's much cleaner, more modern, and has a few iconic classics scattered around to add some good flavour.

You know what, I really, really enjoyed that.

Jazz on
    Jazz wrote: »
    And back to the big film.
    Star Wars and, gloriously, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (again) on the soundtrack!
    Music from Everybody's gone to the rapture at the rocket launch

• Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    I liked it. The first video was great. The pace dropped a bit with the special guest but it hot better. Loved the main feature and the message at the end.

The Grand Tour could stand to learn something from this.

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    The in studio stuff seemed a bit off, a bit out of sync.

The 3 of them had much better chemistry during the Kazakhstan than when they're presenting in the studio, hopefully that starts to improve.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    Rami wrote: »
    The in studio stuff seemed a bit off, a bit out of sync.

The 3 of them had much better chemistry during the Kazakhstan than when they're presenting in the studio, hopefully that starts to improve.

Yeah, they don't seem to be entirely comfortable in the studio segments yet, but the original trio didn't click straight away either.

Definitely more promise to this line-up than there was in last series.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Awesome! It sounds like I actually should watch this season.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    oh man... I thought that was Rhys Darby in the video.

• EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    This ep makes me realize that Grand Tour is just a different show. LeBlanc is still having trouble not sounding like a high school actor reading lines. TG sound engineers still smoke the new GT ones.

Einzel on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »
    TG sound engineers still smoke the new GT ones.

Of course they do; they're the BBC. Whatever you say about the writing and performing side of things, the Beeb has pretty much always been at the top of the technical game.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Of course they do; they're the BBC. Whatever you say about the writing and performing side of things, the Beeb has pretty much always been at the top of the technical game.

I have to hate the BBC though cause they shut down finalgear which means I can no longer find new music with the "TG what's that song" thread.

Mr_Rose wrote: »

I have to hate the BBC though cause they shut down finalgear which means I can no longer find new music with the "TG what's that song" thread.

The main site is gone but the forums are still active https://forums.finalgear.com/top-gear-2016/

Oh crap, I didn't know they made a new sub forum for Post trio series. Tyvm!

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Finally watched the new episode for TG24, much better than last season.

-new opening sequence is good while still feeling TG
    -hilarious how it's now BBC Top Gear on the logo when it wasn't that way before with the Three Musketeers
    -new set looks nice and snazzy
    -opening Ferrari bit, great
    -star in a fast car, better now that we have the old track back, but it was weird how MacAvoy sat there and really didn't talk much, but I do hope they don't focus on tossing the star's salad for whatever thing they're pimping. I do hope they just bring back old stars to settle the new car setup, like Brian Johnson or Jimmy Carr or Jennifer Saunders
    -Kazakhstan video was solid, decent banter, glad they showed the crash, Rory and Chris still sort of defer to Matt because he's the star, but it feels more natural. Three's company, four's too many people, how the old saying goes. Matt's fully in Clarkson mold, Chris is Hammond, and Rory needs to be May but he's not there yet.

If they focus like this it can give TGT a run for its money, but I expect TGT to iron out the kinks this season, most notably don't double up on locations, get some more car reviews in, and stop the celebrity brain crash thing. And get some real music, I thought with Amazon backing them they could get some stuff.

TexiKen on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I really liked the dynamic with the three during this first episode. I think they will settle in nicely with each other. I like that the overall feel isn't "curmudgeonly old white guys" this time around. I already have that with TGT.

Also I love Rory's laugh. That is a dude who is having the time of his life right there.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    edited March 2017
    Finally watched the first episode of the new season and this won me over:

Chris goes to grab his car.
    Rory: What do you think he's got?
    Matt: I dunno... some kind of mental problem.

DanHibiki on
This discussion has been closed.