As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Legend of Brigadiers: Smell of the Cookie [Cookie Brigade]

punziepunzie Cookie PimpRegistered User regular
If you were looking for information regarding becoming a part of the Cookie Brigade for PAX East 2017 or you're just curious about what we're all about then you're in the right place. We're gearing up for another PAX and looking forward to adding to our lifetime total of $303,000 raised for Child's Play!

If you're not already registered on the Cookie Brigade website please do so ASAP! Information on how to join the PAX East 2017 group will be coming soon!

wQojq.png

WHO WE ARE:

The Cookie Brigade is a ragtag group of Penny Arcade Forumers who have assembled since PAX 2007 to provide our fellow gamers with delicious baked goods! Cookies are baked by forumers, brought and shipped from afar by forumers, and distributed by forumers!

The Cookie Brigade does not sell cookies. We give cookies away for free.

Brigadiers also accept donations to Child's Play, which are entirely voluntary but greatly appreciated!

And it's very convenient to get a cookie and give a donation at the same time.

Starting in 2007, the Cookie Brigade began a mission to give these cookies in exchange for donations to Child's Play, the charity started by Mike and Jerry that provides entertainment to kids in children's hospitals. Since starting on this mission, the Cookie Brigade has raised over $300,000 mostly by the handing out of cookies and the reception of donations from the incredible, amazing, and generous PAX community! In 2016 alone we raised over $70,000 for Child's Play! Woooooot! Thank you everyone for your generous donations; you have helped an awesome cause!

WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE?

Looking to Volunteer? Head to http://cookiebrigade.org/ for more information!

Looking for some general information? Check us out on the PAX Community Wiki!

You can also find us on the following social media locations,

Twitter: @Cookie Brigade
G+: Cookie Brigade

And during or pre-pax, feel free to light up the Cookie Signal!

Hashtag: #cookiebrigade

I WANT TO HELP IN THE BRIGADE!

If you're interested in
  • Baking delicious cookies
  • Distributing to people during PAX
  • Helping organize cookies and distributors

We can definitely use your help! Sign up at our website, http://cookiebrigade.org if you wish to participate in the organizing, baking, and/or distributing!

An important note: due to certain external pressures on the Brigade we have to keep some of our more sensitive planning operations private. If you sign up on the Cookie Brigade website you will have access to our public forums but will need to submit an application through the site to become a brigadier. Thank you for your understanding!

BASIC BRIGADE GUIDELINES

• We give out cookies, we do not sell cookies! We do happily pass all donations along to Child's Play, so feel free to give us donations if you want.
  • Keep it PG and family friendly. We love to give cookies out to kids and as such we ask all brigadiers to remain family friendly with their cookies (sorry no dickerdoodles) and distributing activities!
  • Have fun and enjoy PAX!

HI3789R.png

• Canderson1989Canderson1989 Registered User regular
    You guys of the Cookie Brigade are the true heroes of PAX. Congrats on 10 years. Thanks for providing us delicious cookies and doing this for a wonderful cause.

• SolanalesSolanales CMYKMatter Registered User regular
    I've never actually had a cookie brigade cookie but seeing you all around doing this for the community is a welcome sight. Thanks for all the effort.

P0P7S6y.png
  • craiolacraiola MARegistered User regular
    I'll be baking just like the past few years. I've gotten a lot better with royal icing so I hope to bring more decorated cookies for everyone to enjoy :)

DXLJjjr.png
    craiola wrote: »
    I'll be baking just like the past few years. I've gotten a lot better with royal icing so I hope to bring more decorated cookies for everyone to enjoy :)

I'll have to track one down while I'm there

P0P7S6y.png
    Solanales wrote: »

For the curious these are a sampling of what I baked last year:https://instagram.com/p/BEXSX_rLS2l/

DXLJjjr.png
    Solanales wrote: »

For the curious these are a sampling of what I baked last year:https://instagram.com/p/BEXSX_rLS2l/

Very cute. That's pretty cool. I'm excited to see what you come up with for this year.

P0P7S6y.png
    Hoping to get something overwatch themed in there, maybe even some civ 6 "tiles", and the zelda cookies are definitely coming back :)

DXLJjjr.png
    Hoping to get something overwatch themed in there, maybe even some civ 6 "tiles", and the zelda cookies are definitely coming back :)

I feel like little VR headsets or something would be cool considering how much people are talking about it these days.

P0P7S6y.png
  • nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    Excited for cookie brigade every year but even more excited with it not falling on passover this year.

• randy_wreckedrandy_wrecked Gunslinger Harrisburg, PARegistered User regular
    For those of you who travel from far off lands - how do you safely transport your cookies to Boston? I'm flying from PA to MA this year and I'd love to participate.

Video Game Hangover is a podcast for gamers who overindulge.
    Put it in your ear holes.
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    For those of you who travel from far off lands - how do you safely transport your cookies to Boston? I'm flying from PA to MA this year and I'd love to participate.

If you have more fragile cookies (like sugar cookies you made a special themed cookie cutter), pack those in your carry-on. You'll know when/if it gets jostled and be able to prevent it getting thrown around.
    Other than that, you generally want to make a thicker, sturdier, not crumbly cookie anyway so it can survive in distributors' bags. Putting them in tupperware (after individually wrapping them) can help keep them from crushing each other. You can put them in your suitcase (I always fly with cookies), but keep your weight limits in mind. Cookies are heavier than you think. We also will have a local who people can ship their cookies to. And then you get to take advantage of the flat-rate boxes.

But after all that, the easiest thing is to just make rice krispie (or other cereal) treats. They're easy to make, light weight, and don't crumble.

Also, learn from my mistakes. Don't be like me:

and

HI3789R.png
  • divisiontendivisionten Registered User regular

Heeeey! Philadelphian here flying in! Hope to see you at PAX! I'd also love to bake but I have my Ratchet and Clank cosplay so fitting stuff in luggage is a challenge.

I made a survey! Let us know what kind of cookies you want us to bring to East: https://goo.gl/forms/tJkUqWnMazAK6GyE3

HI3789R.png
    You know what surprised me about that survey? Brownies are the second most popular thing on there. Chocolate chip is obviously number 1.
    Someone suggested a banana oatmeal chocolate chip recipe. I made some and they are delicious ^_^

We used to really only need to say this in Seattle, but now we have to say it in Boston too: we will NOT have any weed cookies. Much like we don't give out booze, we aren't going to get you high either.

HI3789R.png
    We're sharing a bunch of cookie pics over on the twitter this weekend and probably everyday now through pax. Come get your drool on: @cookie_brigade

HI3789R.png
  • lauren0rzlauren0rz Registered User regular
    ran is my MVP
    3qD5jfN.jpg

qtjvjrS.png
    can't wait for cookie brigade!

• kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    I cannot wait to eat those cookies! Bring them to the pre-game board night I will have the monies!

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    cookies approach!!

I did it y'all! I've been trying to reach our brigade achievement of making a dozen dozen dozen (1728) cookies for a single pax and this time I finally did it. I canz sleep nao?

HI3789R.png
  • divisiontendivisionten Registered User regular
    Holy moly I don't even like snickerdoodles and I want one.

• TemigTemig East [E] North Shore - MARegistered User regular
    punzie wrote: »
    I did it y'all! I've been trying to reach our brigade achievement of making a dozen dozen dozen (1728) cookies for a single pax and this time I finally did it. I canz sleep nao?

If you weren't running the MMT you could be sleeping right now!

JQ1qRPt.png
    It's cool. I got 3 hrs of sleep before I had to get up for mmt :p Still have to label some of those cookies tonight after mmt.

No, YOURE busy

HI3789R.png
  • robirexrobirex BostonRegistered User regular

Incredible

6pq9je4.png
    The cookie bakers are champs. Also the distributors are champs.

Also the people making donations are champs!

• robirexrobirex BostonRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »

cookie chomping champs

Always looking for ways in my day to use alliteration.

6pq9je4.png
  • KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular

You're a machine! Way to go!!!!

Ln5yLL7.png

So what you're saying is everybody is champs.

HI3789R.png

So what you're saying is everybody is champs.
    Hmmm.... that sounds like weird logic...

• SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    @punzie Thanks for letting me throw money at Child's Play for all those cookies yesterday evening.

And thanks to the Brigadier who then dropped the Giant box of cookies off 10 feet behind me by the Sauciety, I spent the rest of the evening going around the Westin lobby handing out cookies from a luggage trolley, with a new EMT buddy who decided to join my quest.
    It was fun!

Would you like to know more?
    We told everyone repeatedly that no, we were not taking any money, and stressed very hard that we were not part of the Cookie Brigade, nor Enforcers, just random do-gooders who wanted to share the cookie goodness of the Cookie Brigade dropping off so many cookies in the lobby.

We did a thing with the last quarter of the giant box of cookies that Enforcer Spooky claims to have informed the Brigade about. Not sure if I should share exactly what that is here. But it was awesome.

Thanks for taking charge of that box! We had so many bakers who went above and beyond this pax, that we had probably around 500 left at the end of pax. Everyone took some and the rest ended up in that box.

HI3789R.png
  • kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    What was the final amount made? I also thought for a minute on Sat you guys were in trouble based on Twitter. But everything worked out! You guys were organized and I was happy to give money for cookies!

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
  • InfiniteNuLLInfiniteNuLL Registered User regular
    kube00 wrote: »
    What was the final amount made? I also thought for a minute on Sat you guys were in trouble based on Twitter. But everything worked out! You guys were organized and I was happy to give money for cookies!

I'm interested in this as well. I know on Saturday a guy near the Ff14 panel said they had managed to get $10,000 in donations on Friday alone.

FF14 - Failia Zebonaiza, Behemoth Server, FC: 404 Guild Not Found
    PAX East Attendee - 2015, 2016
    I know the total announced with bar crawl exceeded 28,000 don't know exact numbers for each.

The total given at closing ceremonies was $28,125. The bar crawl accounted for $1,704 of that so cookie brigade had $26,something at that time. We are STILL getting money (people using the donation widget on the site, brigadiers finding another envelope of $ when they unpack, or taking extra cookies to work and getting donations from coworkers) so I don't have a final total yet. I'll probably call it on Friday or Saturday.

HI3789R.png
  • miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    Seriously though amazing job to everyone in the CB. You all did an incredible job as always. Glad to see it raised so much money. And as always it was fun hanging out with all y'all friendly faces as well. Who knows maybe next year I'll even be officially in CB ;)

weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    Total for the Cookie Brigade is $27,620, with maybe some money still trickling in, but I'm pretty comfortable with announcing it now. It also represents a new record, the previously held highest amount for any single event was $27,500 at PAX West in 2014, so huzzah to the east coast crew.

We're still taking donations through the website if anyone wants to contribute, but we had an amazing run at East with some great distributors and as always enthusiastic cookie eaters.

That's a lot of cookies!

• Canderson1989Canderson1989 Registered User regular
    That's a lot of cookies!

A lot of damn good, tasty cookies. I agree.

Awesome job to the crew of the Cookie Brigade. Til next PAX.

• Jeeves_The_ButlerJeeves_The_Butler Registered User new member
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    @punzie Thanks for letting me throw money at Child's Play for all those cookies yesterday evening.

And thanks to the Brigadier who then dropped the Giant box of cookies off 10 feet behind me by the Sauciety, I spent the rest of the evening going around the Westin lobby handing out cookies from a luggage trolley, with a new EMT buddy who decided to join my quest.
    It was fun!

Would you like to know more?
    We told everyone repeatedly that no, we were not taking any money, and stressed very hard that we were not part of the Cookie Brigade, nor Enforcers, just random do-gooders who wanted to share the cookie goodness of the Cookie Brigade dropping off so many cookies in the lobby.

We did a thing with the last quarter of the giant box of cookies that Enforcer Spooky claims to have informed the Brigade about. Not sure if I should share exactly what that is here. But it was awesome.

Oh, my sweet, crumbly goodness! I never even saw SutibunRi's post!! I happened to be that new EMT buddy! OMG that was fun. We were in the Westin Lobby, playing board games at the very end of the con, and SutibunRi happens to have a like a 5lbs box of of cookies from the Cookie Brigade. He was telling us all about all the awesome work that the CB does and that how he had donated a ton of money earlier in the con and was given a 5lbs box of deliciousness. And the guy started sharing them with all of us (there were like 10-20 people in our gaming area), and just as we are getting excited over his glorious cookie generosity, someone else comes by with two gigantic boxes of unsold cookies, tells us to enjoy, and then walks away. Well, everyone goes crazy and helps themselves, and SutibunRi and I get to talking. There were tons of other people around the lobby, and there were sooo many cookies, that we start plotting theoretical (or so I thought) ways of ensuring that all of the remaining cookies get enjoyed.

A short while later, I noticed SutibunRi at the check-in desk, talking to someone from the hotel; a minute later, he's walking back to where the boxes of cookies are chilling out, now not getting much attention, with a luggage cart! He loads a box onto the cart and tells me we really should try and share the cookies with everyone else in the lobby. We then spent the next hour or two walking up to people from the con, and other guests chilling at the bar, pushing our cookie cart, and telling them about the Cookie Brigade, what they do, that we wanted to ensure that none of the cookies go to waste, and repeatedly saying "for the last time, no, we are not going to take any money from you! Donate that to 'Child's Play' or something!"

TLDW:
    Long story short, after trying to give away as many cookies as we could, a wonderful drunken business lady from the bar suggested that we donate the cookies to a food shelter. We made several calls, loaded the remaining 20lbs of cookies into the back of my car, and then following day, I dropped them off at a very grateful women's shelter (I've got pics!).
    I dunno who to talk to about this, but if the Cookie Brigade would like, I'll be at PAX East 2018, and I'd be happy to help get any remaining cookies donated to the women's shelter again. I can photograph the drop-off again too.

This discussion has been closed.