As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Phone Time!

JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
Title says it all. My old phone is getting very sluggish and beat up, and its been a while so I'm looking to upgrade.

I have a LG G3 currently. Affordable is a plus, I'm not in the market for a really expensive model.

Ideally, I want to spend between 200-300 dollars, with a max of 350.

Thoughts?

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Moto XT1644 G4 Plus (4th Gen), they're about $250, best make of middle-market android smart-phones IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/Moto-XT1644-Storage-Unlocked-Warranty/dp/B01DZJFWNC/

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I got my dad a G4 Plus for Christmas and it is eminently usable. Pretty clean version of Android is nice, too.

The G5 Plus is about to launch (by the end of the month) with a notably better CPU and similar price.

• Options
    Is there a reason to go with say, a brand new iPhone 7 Plus?

• Options
    If you can get one for $350, then go for it. We were trying to work with your budget, though :P

If you're looking at high-end phones I can't really recommend anything besides the Pixel XL or iPhone 7+

• Options
    I mean I am going to see a huge improvement between the a 200 dollar phone and a top of the line iPhone?

• Options
    There is definitely a difference, but if you've been OK with a LG G3 to this point I personally would have a hard time spending the extra money.

• Options
    That's what I thought. Thanks!

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    There are currently some really good deals on the galaxy s7, which is still a top tier phone.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    furlion wrote: »
    There are currently some really good deals on the galaxy s7, which is still a top tier phone.

Got any links? Or know where?

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    also look at the oneplus stuff

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    The Galaxy line is pretty good, though stay away from the Galaxy Edge, as their batteries kinda suck.

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    If you like the Lg brand then why not go up to an Lg g4? It's still a great phone in my opinion and I've been reading online that it's going to get nougat pretty soon so you won't get left too far behind on the software side of things. The only thing you would have to get used to is the rounded back.
    I'm seeing it go for $250 on Amazon.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

Got any links? Or know where?

You can check out Samsung's own site for most of the deals. Although it looks like only the t Mobile S7 is in your max price range.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    You could go about picking a phone in a different way. Why not make a list of "must have"-features, "should have"-features and then go from there.

For instance my list would go:
    Must have:
    - Good antenna
    - Great camera
    - Wireless charging(current one has and there is no going back).
    - Not fragile like iPhones
    - Big, but not huge

Should have:
    - Long battery life
    - Replaceable battery
    - Water and dust protected

With something like that you could maybe post it here and/or check out what is on offer at places you like to shop.

Bones heal, glory is forever.