As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Elder Scrolls Online] It's the 2nd Era, so is this Oblivion 2, or Oblivion -1?

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Aw man, I am super disappointed. Becoming a vampire somehow erased my Khajiit's facial markings.

Before:
    CCUDOuw.png

After:
    O9C7HPk.png

I REALLY want that speed bonus to stealth, and I don't want to get it from armor because I have other plans for my armor, but honestly it looks SO bad that I'm considering just giving up and being slow when sneaking. Because like... yeah.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • mccartmccart Registered User regular
    Ah dang I didn't even know being a Vampire changes how you look. I was considering becoming one on my dark-elf magsorc, I bet she would look pretty weird with a white face.

mccart wrote: »
    Ah dang I didn't even know being a Vampire changes how you look. I was considering becoming one on my dark-elf magsorc, I bet she would look pretty weird with a white face.

Yeahhh, I'm going to cure my dark-elf DK soon because she looks super bizarre with a white face.

• GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I have that 2 trait armor that gives you running speed with 5 pieces. It is so nice to have!

I am a stamblade, so that gives me sufficient bonuses for battling too (crits and stuff). I have also a full Hunding's with my dual wield, so that further gives me some fighting power.

I like to sneak past most enemies so I don't need the most efficient set for me. That works pretty good, even though sometimes things get rough. I also changed my rotation so if I do that well I kill delve bosses pretty easily. Sometimes I don't get enough crits and boss kills me, but that's part of the process... And now there is always players doing the same delves so I rarely have to fight alone against bosses.

Oh, that vanish spell from the Nighblade skills helps too. So nice to pop that every once in a while.

I really like that I can avoid most battles in this game if I want, I am a thief and a gentleman and not a thug or even worse, a blasted assassin!

EDIT. I don't do group content or anything, can't be bothered with them. Not for me, that kind of content. And I don't need the items from them, fooling around and taking people's valuables is a lot more fun to me.

And now I am so skilled with pickpocketing that I am concentrating on rich people or soldiers, I leave the poor folk alone. I have fond memories from Oblivion, beggars and I go way back...

Grebnu on
    Grebnu wrote: »
    I have that 2 trait armor that gives you running speed with 5 pieces. It is so nice to have!

I want to combine these two sets together:

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Night_Mother's_Embrace

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Night_Terror_(set)

My goal is to be literally the sneakiest. The explanation is a little TL;DR but here you go...
    As far as I am aware, "stealth detection radius" refers to the range at which enemies can detect you. I have HEARD baseline for this is 15 meters (50 feet) in front of them, 3 meters (10ft) behind them, but I don't think this is true/accurate since 10ft behind a character seems like a lot more than they actually have? It may also vary by monster type; I think guards and player characters, for instance, have a much larger detection radius. But, for the sake of this calculation, let's use those numbers.

Khajiit & Bosmer racial trait gives -3

Night Mother's Embrace is -2

Night Terror is -2

Medium Armor is -7% per piece of medium armor, so if you're in full medium that's 49%

I don't know if that 49% is applied BEFORE or AFTER the other subtractions are applied.

If the 49% is applied to the baseline 15 meters, then with all these bonuses your radius is 0. As in, NOTHING CAN SEE YOU, even if you're literally on top of them.

If it's after, their front detection is 3.6 meters, and they can't see you at all when you're behind them. I suspect it's the latter, though obviously I'll have to test it.

With that said, I COULD use Night's Silence + Night Terror, and have an effective detection radius of 5.6 meters in front, about 0 behind... but if I'm a vampire, I mean, seriously. 3.6 meters IN FRONT!

Finally, if you have Thieves Guild, you can reduce that amount by another 10% for Guards and Witnesses.

So tl;dr -- I could use armor to Go Fast while Sneaking, but if I use all my armor for Being Sneakier, I am WAY harder to detect. Basically once this character hits 50 I'm going to do allll the quests, dolmens, and bosses in Deshaan and Stormhaven to get full sets and then be super invisible.

Another note -- This build should work super well for being a scout in Cyrodiil. You won't have best of the best damage, but you could probably sneak right up to a zerg and if they don't currently have Magelight active, they won't see you.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I need to see this in action.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

DaMoonRulz wrote: »

I still need to get the character in question to 50 so I can get the armor I need, but once I do, I'm planning to try to figure out nVidia Shadow Play so I can take some video. It'll be without the Thieves Guild perk tho since I don't have that DLC yet and I'm not sure if I want to buy the DLC and then ALSO have to level that skill line to 10 before taking the vid (because that'll take a while)

I gotta knock out a few more gigs before I have the cash for DLC anyway.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

I still need to get the character in question to 50 so I can get the armor I need, but once I do, I'm planning to try to figure out nVidia Shadow Play so I can take some video. It'll be without the Thieves Guild perk tho since I don't have that DLC yet and I'm not sure if I want to buy the DLC and then ALSO have to level that skill line to 10 before taking the vid (because that'll take a while)

You could always sub for a month and have free access to that DLC, get it all squared away in a month and get the benefit of some crowns and the craft bag along with it. You don't lose your rank or abilities when you lose access to the DLC, you just can't level it anymore.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky

You could always sub for a month and have free access to that DLC, get it all squared away in a month and get the benefit of some crowns and the craft bag along with it. You don't lose your rank or abilities when you lose access to the DLC, you just can't level it anymore.

but what if I want permanent access to that DLC

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Oh, gosh. The brotherhood does the best job of keeping the streets awash in blood.

I made a murder chap sorc: eAcf4cL.png?1

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

but what if I want permanent access to that DLC

For me personally I've decided that the crafting bag is just so damn good that if I'm playing I'm going to be subscribed, so I don't ever see myself actually "owning" the dlc.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Yeah, the crafting bag has become absolutely essential to my playing of the game.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    edited March 2017
    I like my murder chap, and One Tammyreel is the best!

If I wanna do a thing, I can do a thing, and if I get eaten alive by giant cats in the attempt, it is my damned fault for getting eaten by giant cats, as I had every opportunity to murder them to death.

Everything about this game has been improved from my point of view through the addition of resource refunding delayed lightning burst execution sorcerer bullshit. Murdering innocent civilians with my killing dagger is good, too.

That lightning bullshit, though.

@Corriganx knew what I'd appreciate. hi5.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    Look, the crafting bag is one reason I don't want to subscribe, ever. Once I get that I'll never be able to go back. That's how they get you. I've muddled along since launch with slick inventory management and guild bank abuse (and I have A WHOLE GUILD BANK to abuse now if I want!) and I'll damn well keep doing that.

My goal is to be literally the sneakiest. The explanation is a little TL;DR but here you go...

So tl;dr -- I could use armor to Go Fast while Sneaking, but if I use all my armor for Being Sneakier, I am WAY harder to detect. Basically once this character hits 50 I'm going to do allll the quests, dolmens, and bosses in Deshaan and Stormhaven to get full sets and then be super invisible.

Another note -- This build should work super well for being a scout in Cyrodiil. You won't have best of the best damage, but you could probably sneak right up to a zerg and if they don't currently have Magelight active, they won't see you.

That sounds interesting!

But to be honest I prefer quickly in, quickly out -method, is has served me well over the years. Makes exploring easier and more convenient, I run stealthed always when i'm not on my horse. I got also that PvP skill that makes you go fast. Oh, and bow passive that makes you faster when dodging.

I want to be the Usain Bolt of Tamriel!

I was going to un-sub from ESO for the month since I've resumed playing Black Desert Online and then there's ME:Andromeda hitting in a few weeks. But I mis-remembered the renewal date on my account so hey, I guess now I have 1500 more crowns to play with. :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    I've been using this calculator for Alchemy master writs, it eliminates a bit of trial and error. Just pick the three traits needed by the writ and hit find, and it'll show you valid combinations for the output you need.

On that note I really hope this game has some kind of cataclysm event at some point, I hate Elden Root so much. Having to run up three sections of that damn tree to get to the alchemy station drives me insane.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @mccart

Just use this add-on: http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info405-PotionMakerforAlchemyCrafting.html

That'll do it for you in-game.

edited March 2017
    Ah nice thanks! I had assumed since the lazy-writ crafter mod doesn't do alchemy writs that there was some technical limitation preventing mods from doing alchemy crafts.

mccart on
    edited March 2017
    The repeatable Brotherhood fedex quests, (the package is murder) really sell me on this whole post-Skyrim elder scrolls thing.

Bodies litter the streets. Players lurch from npc to npc, pausing only to stare into their eyes and/or butcher them, and guards regularly beat clown suited travelers to death when they manage to catch them during a footrace to a conspicuous trap door.

It seems fitting, somehow.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    I love it when I stumble upon an assassin killing someone in a house. It's always this awkward feeling, "oh damn, nevermind me, just looting these drawers!". It's like going into bathroom when someone's already there. I've never had that awkwardness in a game before, and it's just wonderful!

And I love that too when assassins don't loot their victims, easy money for me without risk (it doesn't count as stealing).

Basil wrote: »
    The repeatable Brotherhood fedex quests, (the package is murder) really sell me on this whole post-Skyrim elder scrolls thing.

Bodies litter the streets. Players lurch from npc to npc, pausing only to stare into their eyes and/or butcher them, and guards regularly beat clown suited travelers to death when they manage to catch them during a footrace to a conspicuous trap door.

I am of the opinion that this game became a real Elder Scrolls game when they added the Justice system and opened up One Tamriel. Prior to that, it was just another generic MMO that happened to have an Elder Scrolls theme. Now, a new player can bungle their way into wherever they want by just sort of walking in a random direction, everyone's stealing everything that isn't nailed down, and murderhobos practice their craft in the open. And actually now we have murder-homeowners in addition to murderhobos.

My favorite recent story about a player new to this game was a guy who ignored Razum-Dar, tried to kill every Khajiit on Khenarthi's Roost, and ended up with a 1 million bounty. At level 3. If that's not Elder Scrolls, I don't know what is.

edited March 2017
    Sharing a nod with a fellow murder-hobo as you both slink away from your latest kills in an alley before rejoining polite society is something unique.

I can relate to that million bounty guy. I was on the lam in that very spot on account of murder within thirty seconds of launching my character.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    After several missteps crafting 3 pieces of heavy armor and weapons for a pvp kit (first I made a CP 150 cuirass, then I made armor pieces without clicking the set armor icon, then I made set armor pieces without traits . . .), I took advantage of the double AP week last night and pushed my stamblade through enough Alliance Points to open up rank 6 of the pvp skill lines to unlock Caltrops. I'd fun veteran Fungal Grotto 1 so many times in an attempt to get a medium divines Kragh's helmet to drop that I had 3 viper jewelry pieces and 2 small Impenetrable Viper pieces to combine with 3 heavy Impenetrable Hunding's Rage pieces and 2 swords and a bow to make a quick cookie cutter pvp gear set.

I've only done one serious attempt at pvp before with most other times quickly fizzling out because no one was doing anything or AD was just not really doing anything that time of day/night. I spent 4 hours following around various groups and mostly just punishing opposing players that were out of position or thought they had an easy gank on an ally they thought was alone and occasionally sneaking around to heal people retreating after I unlocked Vigor. My one attempt at siege ended in a seconds as someone snuck up on me while no one was watching our backline and my catapult was quickly destroyed within seconds of the next person who tried to use it stepping up to it. All in all it took about 3 and a half hours to go from rank 3 in Assault/Support to what I needed to unlock Caltrops with the amount of activity going on during the pvp stress test and the double AP gains with the pace slowing down towards the end as people went to bed.

I now have two very useful stamina skills and can now gladly never do that again on that character until I get desperate for skill points or decide I really want the motifs bought with AP.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »

I am of the opinion that this game became a real Elder Scrolls game when they added the Justice system and opened up One Tamriel. Prior to that, it was just another generic MMO that happened to have an Elder Scrolls theme. Now, a new player can bungle their way into wherever they want by just sort of walking in a random direction, everyone's stealing everything that isn't nailed down, and murderhobos practice their craft in the open. And actually now we have murder-homeowners in addition to murderhobos.

My favorite recent story about a player new to this game was a guy who ignored Razum-Dar, tried to kill every Khajiit on Khenarthi's Roost, and ended up with a 1 million bounty. At level 3. If that's not Elder Scrolls, I don't know what is.

Wow. That's roughly three months of bounty decay, if my napkin math is right. One heck of a start to the game.

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    @DaMoonRulz I installed using these instructions and could open the game correctly, but as soon as I try to Play it from Steam I get the error 'An error occured while updating The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited (content file locked) : D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\Zenimax Online\_CommonRedist\vcredist\2010\installscript.vdf'

I'm googling as hard as I can.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    @Stilts Any advice?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

The Pax Arcadia guild bank is starting to get full again. Some of it is due to materials not stacking in it unless you take them out to stack it in your own inventory first but a lot of it is due to Intricate gear piling up and with the Thieves Guild anniversary event doubling drops in Hew's Bane, me trying to get Outlaw motifs from the delve bosses, and the bosses not cooperating but spitting out a lot of Intricate items we're going to have even more soon.

I'll likely do an audit of the bits of gear people have thrown into the bank now that I have a better handle on what's useful and what's not to break down stuff and toss the raw materials into the bank (just about anything not CP160 is going to be broken down unless it's clearly a research piece since enough of us can craft stuff for lowbies that non-max level gear just takes up space) but I highly encourage anyone doing crafting on a character that has not yet maximized the skills to take and break down the Intricate stuff. There is going to be plenty, plenty more coming in with the way these drops are going.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    @Dubh plunder the intricacies

3basnids3lf9.jpg

I'm always game for stealing the intricates, too. I just try not to be too greedy. If there's any there this evening, I'll nab a few. :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    I haven't been playing much, but I usually use the roomba addon to autostack the materials in the guild bank, works pretty well, but it can take a minute or so while it is waiting for the transaction timer.

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Tried a few different things and got it working with this. Not bad.

UserID is @ Vehsleazy

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    I'm always game for stealing the intricates, too. I just try not to be too greedy. If there's any there this evening, I'll nab a few. :D

We currently have about 100 intricate items with more to come after my next deposit. You can take more than a few.

Steam Profile
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    excellent

should I shove any spare crafting motifs into the bank?

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    Dubh wrote: »
    excellent

If you want that's one avenue for them. Most of the ones in there are really common ones that don't sell for much. Though because of how common they are, very few people need them and we may not see them get used until new players come in again en masse.

Steam Profile
    edited March 2017
    excellent

Did I put you into Ash Housewares yet? I literally made that guild for shoving spare crafting motifs into. Though, go easy on the Blue motifs, those are stupid common /sighs.

*edit* Unless you somehow find an Imperial motif, which inexplicably seems to be the rarest motif in the fucking game now. I seem to recall that it WOULD sometimes drop if you didn't have the Imperial edition, but I have NEVER SEEN IT, either in a guild store or in the wild. Does it just not drop anymore?

Lucid_Seraph on
  • President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular

*edit* Unless you somehow find an Imperial motif, which inexplicably seems to be the rarest motif in the fucking game now. I seem to recall that it WOULD sometimes drop if you didn't have the Imperial edition, but I have NEVER SEEN IT, either in a guild store or in the wild. Does it just not drop anymore?

I've gotten it once, Imperial Edition as well. Found it in a backpack in the last room of City of Ash II. Haven't seen it since.

excellent

Did I put you into Ash Housewares yet? I literally made that guild for shoving spare crafting motifs into. Though, go easy on the Blue motifs, those are stupid common /sighs.

It's just really freaking rare. Now has a market value of 70-80k since it sometimes is needed for master writs.

Steam Profile
    @Lucid_Seraph Did you get your Carpet in the mail?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Official ESO Home Decoration Contest
    Fight Club: Build your own private arena for dueling against your friends. Or enemies.
    Hoarders of Tamriel: We won't judge you for your excessive love of round, edible objects.
    House Party: You're the life of the party, and your home is where all your friends want to hang out!
    Fantastical Constructs: We dare you to create something creative using furnishing items. Let your imagination run wild!

To enter, upload your screenshot directly to the ESO Home Decoration entry form on the official ESO Facebook page. Alternatively, you can also submit your entry via Twitter or Instagram using the official contest hashtag #ESOHomeDecoration. Please note that only one screenshot per category will be accepted.

After the contest period ends and all entries are reviewed, four grand prize winners plus four runners up – one for each category – will be awarded the following prize packs:

Four Grand Prize Winners

Your own private Nedic ruins in Tamriel - the Earthtear Cavern home
    One copy of The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind Digital Collector's Edition
    6000 crowns to spend in the ESO Crown Store
    One Elder Scrolls Online lithograph signed by the development team
    One Elder Scrolls Online t-shirt
    Four Runners-up

3000 crowns to spend in the ESO Crown Store
    One Elder Scrolls Online mini-poster
    One Elder Scrolls Online t-shirt

Battleground Basics

3basnids3lf9.jpg