As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

didn't get into grad school

CenoCeno pizza timeRegistered User regular
don't know where else to post this

didn't get into grad school again

I'm 36 and working some admin assistant job that i'm probably going to be in the rest of my life because my bachelor's is worthless

just kind of fucking done, no real hope for ever continuing school or having a meaningful career or retiring because I make peanuts for a salary

miserable in the state I live in, too poor to move, too poor to travel and visit friends and family

feel completely hopeless and done with everything

trying to stay upbeat for my wife and kids

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Are you able to consider switching to another job at another company that you are able to get with just your Bachelor's and x years of experience? It may not be super related to your current stuff, and may also be pretty low- or entry-level, but if you could find something that you could move up within, that may be an option. If you can get your foot into anything that has potential for upward mobility, your degree becomes a lot less important.

What field or degree were you wanting? What is your current degree?

You were considering grad school, which means you have some idea of how to fund this, yeah? Any chance you could go to evening classes or something for a second Bachelor's? Depending on what you wanted to do, that may not be super viable, I dunno.

There are a few careers that you can get started in by teaching yourself stuff (it may not be as easy as formal schooling, but it's not a blocker). Programming, for example, is something that often makes a nice amount of money and is possible to succeed in without even a high school diploma. Again, it'd be harder to study and to get your foot in the door without a related degree, but it's definitely doable.

And then, I guess, the obvious question I should have started with :P. In your current position & company, is there any chance for upward mobility? Or being able to transfer into something internally in your company that has it that you are still qualified for? Often the bar is a bit lower for positions if you're already within the company (and performing well), since the company has more confidence you aren't a serial killer/complete slacker/fake resume/etc.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Ceno,

Not getting into grad school the first time is not only common, it's more common than getting into grad school on the first application (or second, or third). I did a fairly lengthy writeup recently in the SE++ Work thread you should check out (its sort of a catch-all on how to plan for graduate school). It's pretty comprehensive:

Link is here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/37107557#Comment_37107557

I'd be happy to talk with you about your academic plans and how to reach them. It's important to understand that you are most certainly not trapped. You can make changes and go into different careers. I've seen an facilitated it for students in my cohorts many, many times.

It's also important for everyone in your life who loves you to understand that getting rejected from a graduate application is a soul-crushing experience and support and kindness are needed here. Doesn't matter how many times you applied, each is painful. Talk with your wife, hug your kids.

When you decide to apply again, or look at other ways to brush up on your credentials for when you do, let me know. I'll see what I can do to assist you in polishing up your credentials and finding a solid path to admittance.

Enc on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    There are a lot of options for getting a different B.S. degree online, and those options include reputable institutions like Arizona State University (for example, ASU offers several varieties of B.S.'s in different engineering disciplines).

Decide on what might be interesting to you, cross-check to see that the degree is in demand, and go for it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Enc wrote: »
    Ceno,

Not getting into grad school the first time is not only common, it's more common than getting into grad school on the first application (or second, or third). I did a fairly lengthy writeup recently in the SE++ Work thread you should check out (its sort of a catch-all on how to plan for graduate school). It's pretty comprehensive:

Link is here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/37107557#Comment_37107557

I'd be happy to talk with you about your academic plans and how to reach them. It's important to understand that you are most certainly not trapped. You can make changes and go into different careers. I've seen an facilitated it for students in my cohorts many, many times.

It's also important for everyone in your life who loves you to understand that getting rejected from a graduate application is a soul-crushing experience and support and kindness are needed here. Doesn't matter how many times you applied, each is painful. Talk with your wife, hug your kids.

When you decide to apply again, or look at other ways to brush up on your credentials for when you do, let me know. I'll see what I can do to assist you in polishing up your credentials and finding a solid path to admittance.

thank you

this is probably the third or fourth time i've been rejected from grad school and at least one of the reasons is because I'm trying to get into an acting program and they accept a very small number of people

but it's the only thing i'm actually passionate about so i'm kind of screwed

i'll take you up on your offer if I decide to give it another go, and greatly appreciate your kindness, but I think at this point trying to make the most of my admin job is the path forward

sometimes stuff just doesn't work out

Ceno on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Ceno,

thank you

this is probably the third or fourth time i've been rejected from grad school and at least one of the reasons is because I'm trying to get into an acting program and they accept a very small number of people

i'll take you up on your offer if I decide to give it another go, and greatly appreciate your kindness, but I think at this point trying to make the most of my admin job is the path forward

Just because you won't necessarily be able to make a career about it doesn't mean you can't pursue it, of course. Maybe look into some community theaters nearby or something similar? Then you can still do something you're passionate about even if your job sucks for the time being :)

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Ceno wrote: »
    Ceno,

thank you

Graduate programs for the arts do two things (exclusively to not doing an arts graduate program and instead just doing the art):
    • Equip you to teach the art in question.
    • Grants networking opportunities.

If you aren't really looking to teach acting, the degree is probably less useful than finding your local community theaters/film publications and start getting in plays and productions until you have a solid portfolio. Networking in your community will likely land you more opportunities to, in the long run, get roles that will actually pay. And then later on, roles that will pay well.

If teaching was your aim, you might want to cast a wider net. Usually for arts grad programs you apply to a dozen or more places and go where you get in. Often it will require relocating (which is pretty much the standard for graduate education).

Enc on
  • Options
    I've got a dozen years of professional acting experience so it was mostly to be able to have teaching as a viable decently-paying option and to get me back into my home state where my support system lives and the theatre I was involved with operates

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    I figure I'll ask; are there actually any jobs being an acting teacher? Because going tens of thousands of dollars into debt to try and get an arts teaching job in the current political-economic climate seems ill-advised, to my ignorant perspective. Not like education budgets are overflowing, and arts is always the first thing on the chopping block.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    I figure I'll ask; are there actually any jobs being an acting teacher? Because going tens of thousands of dollars into debt to try and get an arts teaching job in the current political-economic climate seems ill-advised, to my ignorant perspective. Not like education budgets are overflowing, and arts is always the first thing on the chopping block.

Moreso in high schools than in colleges, though if you get a college job, hang onto it until you die

• Options
    If you are wanting to teach drama or arts education in high school, you can do that with a bachelors degree and relevant experience in most* states.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Yeah, have you looked at alternative certification for teaching?

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    It was asked and not answered earlier in the thread: Are there no advancement opportunities in your current job? I have heard from employers that your education really only matters for your first 1-2 jobs. Even just being an admin at the company means you probably have most of the knowledge to take more advanced positions there. There are multiple people in my department at my office that have technical experience in lieu of a degree.

It doesn't sound like that's what you want to do, but it might help you find something you like better.

• Options
    Not much promotion from white collar into acting roles, sadly.

• Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    Ceno,

This and people like you are why I love these forums.

By the say, good luck Ceno.

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language