As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wildstar] Everybody's dead, Dave.

• CrewMember169CrewMember169 Registered User regular
    A couple questions:

1) Will I feel lonely on the Dominion?

2) How much world PvP is there?

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    They allow the factions to play with each other now, so hard to say. I haven't been in a newbie zone in a while. World pvp isn't really a thing.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    They allow the factions to play with each other now, so hard to say. I haven't been in a newbie zone in a while. World pvp isn't really a thing.

They do? Glorious. I loathe being cut off from people by faction. At least give me a way to work on changing sides or SOMEthing.

Yeah, we have a few squirrels in our guild now and one rock person.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Actually, who had control over the Nexus Zoning Committee (man, such a good name.) nowadays anyway?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    No, just the one I've been in for the last two years after the PA guild disintegrated.

As a reminder, the new patch is implemented tomorrow, so if the Primal Matrix renewed anyone's interest in the game, it'll be available.

On a personal note, my guild cleared RMT for the first time tonight. Feels good to finish progression before a paradigm change goes into effect.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Oh, so everyone who logs in is getting a free level 50 boost. Comes with an instant level 50, plus gear for your roles, path stuff, a mount, and housing teleports.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Oh, so everyone who logs in is getting a free level 50 boost. Comes with an instant level 50, plus gear for your roles, path stuff, a mount, and housing teleports.

Wow, how long is this going on?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    The boost is only until the 12th or so.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I might be able to get my gaming pc working again in time for that. Fingers crossed!

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Man, I forgot how overwhelming things could be if you havn't played in a while. Would be nice if there were some "refresher" guides out there to tell you what's been changed or just to get you back up to speed again.

persona4celestia.jpg
    The subreddit has been trying to do something like that, but considering how often major systems were changed as Carbine tried to find its place, things can vary drastically based on when you decided to quit originally,

• Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Reinstalled and grabbed a 50 warrior. Will pick into this again when I get more time.
    I recall feeling out of my depth in the group content

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    installed and made a 50 warrior because why not. I ran around for a bit getting a feel for it and tried to do an adventure but I guess queue times are immense even if you are not dpsing? because I couldn't get in. I doubt I'll play much but I did want to try that out

edited March 2017
    I installed and made a 50 Engineer. I actually want to try playing through the level process to learn the game before trying to play with others, but figured I might as well grab the offer while it's there.

...and I've still got a bunch of stuff I need to do before my desktop's fully up and running again, and I still need to save up cash for a graphics card upgrade if I want to play newer releases, but after 2 to 2 & 1/2 years I'm finally at a point where I can get back to playing PC games. *sniff* I'm so happy... :P

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Adventures aren't very common because they've kind of lost their niche. Dungeons are pretty easy to get into right at 50 now and give better gear.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I totally forgot to download the game for the free 50 and I won't have it done before the offer ends :rotate:

I'm not sure I can queue for them, my gear level is 70

edited March 2017
    You shouldn't need a specific gear level for normal dungeons. Primes are... well... nice to know that they actually put a recommended item level requirement on them now, because historically they can kick your ass eight ways to Sunday if you're under-geared.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Arcterra is also a pretty decent place for loot, I think, if you haven't set foot there yet.

regular dungeons? those only go up to level 40. it looks like my only options are adventures, which no one runs, prime dungeons, which I can't run, and grinding crap in arcterra. not exactly appealing

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    There are veteran dungeons. They are basically the equivilent of heroics in WoW.

Well... Mythics now. They are max level versions of dungeons.

• Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    I remember spending... 90 minutes to 2 hours in the original stormtalon dungeon when the game first came out? It was daunting and hard and ultimately didn't feel worth the piddly reward we got for it. My big fear is that I'll step into a 50 dungeon, and it'll be that again

I was likely a warrior in that group at some point.

It is nowhere near that. Gearing literally didn't exist back then. You either made some sweet crafted stuff that beat out the current raids gear or you were undergeared for dungeons. They WERE hard but we all had shit stats for them as well.

The game is much more balanced now at least. Like gear has actual progression, I think they fixed the fact only like 2 runes were good and the rest garbage etc.

The average playerbase massively outgears dungeons now. You can't compare it to release because the crafting and stat systems back then forced everyone to be glass cannons.

I basically only logged in and played with the skills and builds of the char I made. So is it actually possible to throw yourself at the games vet dungeons on the premade chars? I know I need to get runes somehow I guess. They do create you with zero money though so that kind of sucks.

my only options for dungeons are regular, and prime. no veterans

edited March 2017
    Prime 0 is the old veteran level. The first thing you'll want to do is rune out your gear, which is pretty cheap for the boosted gear you start with. After that, contracts, Arcterra and world bosses are a decent source of new loot, plus the prime dungeons when you can do them.

Artereis on
    How do you make money then? Runes could be cheap but we get 0 money.

expeditions are decent cash and fairly quick to solo for the shorter ones. Infestation is good, M-13 probably, too.

edited March 2017
    Finally went out and did Vault of the Archon... and got a pair of il100 boots out of the lockbox at the end from it. D:

Is there a rough guide to figuring out upgrades? As in, item level versus more sockets?

Also, I assume that Prime/Eldan Prime is basically like warforging?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    When equipment drops, it has a chance to roll additional ilevels in groups of 5. It can do this multiple times if you're lucky.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Wow so I'm doing research on the FTP vs Sub players... And it seems very reasonable. I bought the game at launch but stopped after my 30 day trial period expired... I may have to hop back on board.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I went ahead and reinstalled to make sure I got the free level 50. I think if I play, though, I might just go back to one of my lower level characters and finish leveling them up, since I don't remember much anyway.

What is this I don't even.
    edited March 2017
    Raiding: Yes, Wildstar loves the raid game. Like dungeons, this is very standard business, but Wildstar features 20 and 40 player raids in case you have some kind of sick longing for the old days of WoW raids.
    *snip*
    Dress-Up: Wildstar doesn't just feature costume slots for you, but also for your mounts. Get the fanciest hats for your lizard mount, or deck out your hoverboard. Wildstar is all about being the prettiest space princess.

*snip*

mw2OVul.pngjjrxjjh.png
    bltmcZz.pngPySLsaw.png3fObq2H.pngmA2sjbh.pngfpr3bci.pngQVAddm5.png
    Warriors believe that if swords were good enough for Conan, then they're good enough for them. These muscle-bound berserkers are not luddites, however, and they know Conan would have used arm-mounted cannons if he had them back in what historians call Barbarian Times. Your handy arm cannon can fire missiles, ropes that drag your victim back towards you, and just generally solve the problem that vexed Conan for years: people running away from you.

*snip*

57mx1ue.png
    Alright, fuck all that. You don't care about running around, clicking on shit, or dealing with people. You like grinding for bear asses and by god you're going to grind for bear asses like nobody else.

Decided I ought to read the first couple of posts before taking the plunge of actually trying to play the game again. OP's awesome, but these couple bits in particular had me laughing out loud, thanks.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited March 2017
    Wish I could take credit but a mod forced the thread onto me since I was the only person still playing, haha. If I ever have some time and think it might do some good, maybe I'll update it. It's woefully out of date.

Artereis on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I wrote that up around launch, so it's super out of date.

YL9WnCY.png
    edited March 2017
    Wish I could take credit but a mod forced the thread onto me since I was the only person still playing, haha. If I ever have some time and think it might do some good, maybe I'll update it. It's woefully out of date.
    I wrote that up around launch, so it's super out of date.

Interesting. How about @Beezel's beginner's FAQ in the second post? Worth reading or just skip it? For a frame of reference, I've only previously played this for about a couple hours during the pre-launch public beta. The rest of my MMO experience is:
    • a lot of time playing WoW super-casually
    • making tons of alts but only levelling one of them all the way to 50 in City of Heroes/Villains/[praetorian world]
    • maybe 20 hours in Ragnarok Online (before the US version first went pay-to-play there was a free period)
    • a couple nights of Planetside 2
    • a dozen hours in Spiral Knights (which I really liked, but just never get around to playing)
    ...Although I'm not sure that last one counts as an MMO. I've started characters in other games, but never really played them much.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png