As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

START TIME UPDATED PLEASE READ! WestinWorld: Pre-Pax Boardgame Night Showdown Extravaganza

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    OP is updated with more details and the final event landing.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • robirexrobirex BostonRegistered User regular
    So freaking excited for this

6pq9je4.png
  • Rule of ThreeRule of Three Game Designer Registered User regular
    Thanks for running this!

I can't wait to attend.

• XenigmaXenigma Registered User regular
    Direwolf wrote: »
    Also, anyone planning on playing MTG @ Westin?
    I'm in the process of learning EDH if you have any interest in kicking my butt.

I'll be bringing 2-3 EDH decks this year so if anyone sets up a table Thursday I'll definitely join!

Pins? Pins!
    PAX East Attendee since 2011
  • GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    Is a volunteer still needed? If so I'll see if I can help muster someone.

• iltailta Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Hey all, I'm going to be there for first shift starting at or around 3:00 (confirmed with Lexi already), but another person is certainly always very welcome. Many hands, light work, etc.

ilta on
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Pumped this is happening again. I'll probably head down to the city for some quick gaming Thursday afternoon. I'll bring light games (and some magic decks) as I'll have to escape back up the commuter rail to catch a pre PAX event up in Salem later in the evening.

I hope the guy with joust shows again.

IT'S HAPPENING GAIS. It's almost here!

I'm bringing Fury of Dracula (fresh off Tabletop highlighting it this week), Betrayal at the House on the Hill w/ Widow's Walk expansion, Dead of Winter w/ The Long Night expansion, Karmaka, Mafia, Pandemic (just the base game), Exploding Kittens w/ Imploding Kittens expansion, and Resistance.

I have a bunch more games I would consider bringing if anyone wanted to play them. Let me know. Twilight Struggle, Through the Ages, Odious Censor, Truths Too Terrible, Japanese The Game, Joking Hazard, Bad Medicine, Cards Against Humanity (several expansions), Drunk Quest and Disturbed Friends.

6pq9je4.png
  • jbkjbk Registered User regular
    robirex wrote: »

I'm bringing Fury of Dracula (fresh off Tabletop highlighting it this week), Betrayal at the House on the Hill w/ Widow's Walk expansion, Dead of Winter w/ The Long Night expansion, Karmaka, Mafia, Pandemic (just the base game), Exploding Kittens w/ Imploding Kittens expansion, and Resistance.

Robirex - I want to play basically every one of those games. I'm bald, and will be carrying a sign saying "robirex, find me." (I shit you not). There at opening. I intend to bring Secret Hitler, and perhaps some smaller stuff.

jbk wrote: »

Robirex - I want to play basically every one of those games. I'm bald, and will be carrying a sign saying "robirex, find me." (I shit you not). There at opening. I intend to bring Secret Hitler, and perhaps some smaller stuff.

lmfao. I'll be there early too. I love Secret Hitler so I'm totally down.

6pq9je4.png
    IMPORTANT CHANGE!! PLEEEEEEEEASE READ!!!

Due to a room conflict this year, the event start time is changed to 5:00 pm . Tell your friends!!

IMPORTANT CHANGE!! PLEEEEEEEEASE READ!!!

Due to a room conflict this year, the event start time is changed to 5:00 pm . Tell your friends!!

Sounds good to me. More time exploring and settling in on Thursday.

6pq9je4.png
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I might wind up bringing a tiny dry erase board to ask for people to play with since I plan to consolidate and pack games into one box. Looking to maybe have Sushi Go Party, Loot Letter and possibly King of Tokyo and another game. Not sure because I need to see what I can fit while packing tomorrow.

It is looking more like I will bail on the Pokecrawl to come to the Westin earlier. We shall see!

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • ogbaogba Registered User regular
    First time attending this event so i have a few questions. How exactly does this work? Is it expected to just walk up to people and join in on games? I feel like i need an intro as to how this works.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    From my experience, I look for tables with vertical box tops displayed which indicate room for additional players. Upon finding a game that interests me, I overcome my inherent shyness to politely ask to join the table in their gaming. I then proceed to have a good time interacting with new folks despite getting falsely accused of being a Cylon.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • ogbaogba Registered User regular
    Vertical box tops?

Take the game's box top and stand it on its side so folks across the room can see what game is being played and that there is room for more.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
    ogba wrote: »
    First time attending this event so i have a few questions. How exactly does this work? Is it expected to just walk up to people and join in on games? I feel like i need an intro as to how this works.

I'll add to @GONG-00 . Last year was my first PAX and thus my first PAX board game night. I wasn't really sure what to expect either. I brought a bunch of games. You'll come downstairs to the Westin (there are signs telling you where to go, it's awesome) to this huge conference room. You'll find someone sitting at a table. They'll direct you to take a piece of paper and marker and write the names of all your games and your table number. Then take a second piece of paper and write your table number. You'll leave the paper with the name of all your games at the front so when others come in after you, they'll see a game they like and hunt for your table. They can either borrow your game if you don't mind or they'll sit down and start playing it with you. Alternatively, you can turn the top of the box on it's side and people know you're looking for people to play that game. There's so many people there man, you'll definitely have a blast. It's super easy too. Just come and enjoy yourself!

6pq9je4.png
    ogba wrote: »

Mostly it's been answered above (thanks, gang!) but generally, the important takeaway is this: it's really simple. There's no complex organization or signup or anything, it's more like a giant board game night at your friends' house, only like if you had 300 friends. People bring games, share games, play games and we try to provide a person who can answer any questions when you get there.

For those who are socially nervous about the idea of injecting yourself into a stranger's game, this is a safe space with lots of other awkward people. We do try to make it easy to match people up but also encourage you to get out of your bubble a bit and meet new folks. You won't be alone.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Sadly, I most likely will not be able to make it. Caught a cold taking care of sick ones, so I'm trying to kick it in order to actually attend PAX. Hope all of you have a good time.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    I'm specifically working OT tomorrow to stay in Boston to come to game night. I can't wait!

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    Husband and myself will have Superfight! :D

UyhWici.png
  • MSUHitmanMSUHitman Checkmate Arcade Co-Host STLRegistered User regular
    A lot of games we would love to try. We usually have to stick to two player games.

Also, anyone planning on playing MTG @ Westin?

Sadly the train from Chicago doesn't arrive until 8 PM & then I have to check into hotel so I probably won't be able to attend.

• VermillionDeVermillionDe Registered User regular
    MIGHT be there with the Arkham Horror LCG, depends on when I get out of work.

• nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    I hope to stop by flight doesn't get in until just after 9 will people still be playing if i come at like 10:30?

I hope to stop by flight doesn't get in until just after 9 will people still be playing if i come at like 10:30?

I'll be there. I was one of the last ones last year. Someone else can confirm, but I think it wrapped up pretty late. After midnight.

6pq9je4.png
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular

I'll be there. I was one of the last ones last year. Someone else can confirm, but I think it wrapped up pretty late. After midnight.
    I remember leaving after 11:00 pm.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Jeeves_The_ButlerJeeves_The_Butler Registered User new member
    I am so incredibly excited to attend my very first PAX-event ever! I am jonesing for some Settlers of Catan! (Seriously, I want to play a real game of it, and not just another hundred or so online games of 'Catan Universe'... (prior to that, I've only played in-person with friends and new-friends about 5 times, at the max). I am ready to be severely disillusioned with my actual skill level, or confirm what I'm not afraid to face: "That I'm more awesome than I think I could even stand," (okay, Butler, time to stop channeling Vegeta)... I do not want to make any enemies. By the way, for funzies (if it's allowed), I'll even do a free food run for the victor of a Catan game I get to play in (and yes, it will have to be food supporting the Westin only).
    I would even settle for Kings of Tokyo, or Flux. Sadly I own none of these games, but I will be bringing my super-fancy Onyx edition Scrabble, Risk and Harry Potter playing cards. ^^ By the way, just wait til I bring out the Monocle. Then I Get Serious!! /s *mostly

• dbickomdbickom Registered User new member
    Staying at another hotel. Is there somewhere I can park at the Westin or area to join this game night?

• jayh0vajayh0va Registered User regular
    I have Codenames, Codenames: Deep Undercover, Exploding Kittens, Machi Koro (with Harbor), Boss Monster 2 and Hanabi.

SEE YOU SOON!!

npyymaqh3gup.png
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    dbickom wrote: »
    Staying at another hotel. Is there somewhere I can park at the Westin or area to join this game night?

I'd suggest taking the T or walking there.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    I got an unexpected ticket and came here with friends but for tonight I'm alone. I might come to this it sounds fun but im terrible at integrating myself in a group of strangers 0_o

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
    Fireflash wrote: »
    I got an unexpected ticket and came here with friends but for tonight I'm alone. I might come to this it sounds fun but im terrible at integrating myself in a group of strangers 0_o

Go. Tell the folks at the info table what you just said here. They'll find you a friendly group.

Thank god the bartender downstairs poured my drink before announcing the price. $11 for ONE beer? Yea, uh, no thanks.

I just had a jimmy johns meal for that much.

I'm not shocked, but damn.

bYf6vNQ.png
    edited March 2017
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Thank god the bartender downstairs poured my drink before announcing the price. $11 for ONE beer? Yea, uh, no thanks.

I just had a jimmy johns meal for that much.

I'm not shocked, but damn.

Yeah, it's kinda ridiculous. But it pays for the space so thanks for beering it up.

LexiconGrrl on
    I'd 100% be down for buying beer there. I was planning to have 2-3, but $11 a pop and pax hasn't even begun? One beer and cookie brigade donation is all I can offer.

Also, we totally ran into each other at the table and I didn't say anything. Ha. Plus, you were chatting cookies. Didn't want to interrupt.

Anyway, besides that, loved tonight. Played a bunch of games, played some joust, saw new games to check out later, AND got to play Switch (Snipperclips). And it is great playing games with strangers. Had a blast playing Mascarade.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • MagneticImageMagneticImage Registered User regular
    I had a great time! Thank you for organizing this!!!

For those still there, the short walk to the bar in the lobby has more selection and draft beers (Sam Adams, Harpoon) are $6-$6.50.

• LejicLejic Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    An enforcer left their card-holder thing at our table (we were playing secret hitler). Message me, I've got it :)

Lejic on
    I had a great time! Thank you for organizing this!!!

For those still there, the short walk to the bar in the lobby has more selection and draft beers (Sam Adams, Harpoon) are $6-$6.50.

Son of a....

Next year. Ha.

Also, I saw a TON of Secret Hitler being played.

bYf6vNQ.png