As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Science] A thread of good guesses, bad guesses and telling the difference.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Treat your employees well and fairly and you reap a magnitude in dividends?

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Treat your employees well and fairly and you don't get eaten by lions.

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Yeah I don't believe that 2018 target for a minute. That's next year and you don't even have a working rocket that can do that trip yet.

Isn't the largest rocket they currently have only capable of putting a satelite into a Geostationary orbit? Like, wouldn't this take the full Falcon Heavy to actually do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ca6x4QbpoM

However, if this does actually happen? I will fucking be there for that launch.

as scot manley pointed out, it takes less delta-v to do what they are suggesting than to get into geostationary orbit

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Yeah I don't believe that 2018 target for a minute. That's next year and you don't even have a working rocket that can do that trip yet.

Isn't the largest rocket they currently have only capable of putting a satelite into a Geostationary orbit? Like, wouldn't this take the full Falcon Heavy to actually do?

as scot manley pointed out, it takes less delta-v to do what they are suggesting than to get into geostationary orbit

Hmmmm....

*fires up KSP*

Checks out. Orbital mechanics is so counter-intuitive.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

Hmmmm....

*fires up KSP*

Checks out. Orbital mechanics is so counter-intuitive.

This is still my favorite map of the solar system.

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    What does "intercept" mean? I assume dot for the planet itself is landing, and orbit is self explanatory.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    A flyby basically. Getting to the point where you could begin to orbit it

edit: basically each segment is a burn (or atmospheric capture)

Say you go to mars:
    Burn #1 puts you in LEO
    Burn #2 puts you leaving Earth
    Burn #3 adjusts your trajectory to hit Mars at some point
    Burn #4 establishes orbit when you get there
    Burn #5 lets you land

It's basically the series of standard transfer orbits

In reality Burns 2 & 3 would be combined (possibly 1 as well depending) and 4 & 5 would likely be combined and partially helped by the atmosphere

Phyphor on
  • JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    They can skate now.

https://youtu.be/-7xvqQeoA8c

Thanks a lot, Boston Dynamics... :?
    :D:D:D

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gai8dMA19Sw

There ever-impressive Tim Blais put out a new hit

Jacoby wrote: »
    They can skate now.

I see no one there was brave enough to give it a kick

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    What does "intercept" mean? I assume dot for the planet itself is landing, and orbit is self explanatory.

It doesn't have a set meaning apparently but would generally be the point where gravity of the object generally dominates.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    It's pretty fantastic that they gave it a Johnny 5 style freeze frame ending

VRXwDW7.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

It doesn't have a set meaning apparently but would generally be the point where gravity of the object generally dominates.

Yeah, I think it just means "move to the relevant position around/on target body". To where you can say you're near it, I guess.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Within its sphere of influence would kinda work i guess but that's really fucking far away if you're talking about outer planets or pluto or whatever.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

In kerbal space (where that map originates) it's the point a which the game starts tracking the objects mechanics as a two body problem with respect to that body.

wbBv3fj.png
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    In kerbal space (where that map originates) it's the point a which the game starts tracking the objects mechanics as a two body problem with respect to that body.

Although that is based on a real approximation since patched conics are a solution that's actually used for orbital manoeuvers to allow you simplify a problem to a 2-body solution + correction factors.

But the centimeters! We will be off by them!

wbBv3fj.png
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    A flyby basically. Getting to the point where you could begin to orbit it

edit: basically each segment is a burn (or atmospheric capture)

Say you go to mars:
    Burn #1 puts you in LEO
    Burn #2 puts you leaving Earth
    Burn #3 adjusts your trajectory to hit Mars at some point
    Burn #4 establishes orbit when you get there
    Burn #5 lets you land

It's basically the series of standard transfer orbits

In reality Burns 2 & 3 would be combined (possibly 1 as well depending) and 4 & 5 would likely be combined and partially helped by the atmosphere

yeah but transfer orbits.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    They can skate now.
    Now we just add*... Living flesh over a metal endo-skeleton.
    *And a neural net processah.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    Reusing (word for word) an introduction or abstract from one of your own papers in a grant, research summary, or a fellowship application is (aside from being a bad idea) plagiarism, right? That's what I was taught.

That said, it is exceedingly annoying to write a new intro every time.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Reusing (word for word) an introduction or abstract from one of your own papers in a grant, research summary, or a fellowship application is (aside from being a bad idea) plagiarism, right? That's what I was taught.

Don't know about academically, but depending who owns the IP you can totally get in legal trouble for self plagiarism. I could see it being a potential issue best avoided.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Don't know about academically, but depending who owns the IP you can totally get in legal trouble for self plagiarism. I could see it being a potential issue best avoided.

It's a thing in academia too, p sure.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    They can skate now.

Can I get one of those with a chair on it's back? Just, let me ride around on it for a bit.

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    They can skate now.

Can I get one of those with a chair on it's back? Just, let me ride around on it for a bit.

390px-Rideback.jpg

I did not expect the mech-anime to get the future to be correct to be Rideback.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    That endpoint control will be very useful when it comes to projectile weapons.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular

Yep. I personally think the idea of self-plagiarism is pretty ridiculous, but at least in the case of papers, the publisher generally owns the copyright so there's that. Where it drives me crazy is methods sections, because I feel like they should be excluded from checking because if I did the same procedure/analysis as in a previous study, I want to describe it the same way, but I can't.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »

This made my day, thanks!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Daenris wrote: »

Yep. I personally think the idea of self-plagiarism is pretty ridiculous, but at least in the case of papers, the publisher generally owns the copyright so there's that. Where it drives me crazy is methods sections, because I feel like they should be excluded from checking because if I did the same procedure/analysis as in a previous study, I want to describe it the same way, but I can't.

I was reading more articles on this last night. There seems to be some consensus that methods sections are at least partially exempt. Or you can just cite it and be done. The issue is more with paper text. I've had like three people give me things to review, and then all of a sudden there's a section written in a totally different voice, and I start googling, then lo and behold its from their last paper.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Artereis wrote: »

This made my day, thanks!

Make sure to check out the rest of his videos if you haven't. There's some amazing stuff there.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

And as a related and practical science tip, if your can or bottle has been shaken, tapping on it causes the bubbles stuck on the inner surface to rise into the airspace above the liquid. Because the bubbles are no longer below the liquid, when you open it, you don't sprayed in the face.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.

And as a related and practical science tip, if your can or bottle has been shaken, tapping on it causes the bubbles stuck on the inner surface to rise into the airspace above the liquid. Because the bubbles are no longer below the liquid, when you open it, you don't sprayed in the face.

Yeah, but then you have a flat drink. If you just wait it will re-equilibrate.

edited March 2017

Yeah, but then you have a flat drink. If you just wait it will re-equilibrate.

Or you shake it some more, hand it to your buddy, and grab a new one out of the fridge.

Veevee on
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    So I thought this was pretty amazing. Scientists train bumblebees to move cotton balls to a goal in order to receive a reward. These bumblebees then go on to teach the skill to other bumblebees.
    Perry and colleagues built a platform with a porous ball sitting at the center of it. If a bee went up to the ball, it would find that it could access a reward, sugar water.

One by one, bumblebees walked onto the platform, explored a bit, and then slurped up the sugar water in the middle.

"Essentially, the first experiment was: Can bees learn to roll a ball?" says Perry.

Then, the researchers moved the ball to the edge of the platform.

"The bees came out, looked at the center, didn't have reward. They went to the ball, didn't have reward. They had to figure out that they needed to move the ball from the edge to the center, and then they'd get reward," says Perry.

The ball was a token, like the dollar bill you'd put in a vending machine. The sugar water was like a can of soda that could only be unlocked using the token.

If a bee couldn't figure out how to get the reward, a researcher would demonstrate using a puppet — a plastic bee on the end of a stick — to scoot the ball from the edge of the platform to the center.

"Bees that saw this demonstration learned very quickly how to solve the task. They started rolling the ball into the center; they got better over time," says Perry.

In a second experiment, the researchers found that bees that were able to watch a live bee do the trick first learned even faster. Some even found ways to get the sugar water more quickly by choosing a shorter route.

"It wasn't monkey see, monkey do. They improved on the strategy that they saw," says Perry. "This all shows an unprecedented level of cognitive flexibility, especially for a miniature brain."

Here's a nice short video of the experiment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exsrX6qsKkA

This is so far beyond my expectations of insect cognitive capabilities that I can't even.

MSL59.jpg
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    It's pretty cool, though honestly, it makes sense that bees could learn from watching other bees. They already have dance-language, so obtaining information from others is built in.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Yay! Another bit of evidence against "animals are robots."

Gvzbgul on
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I hear and obey my *quee~n*!

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    I'm imagining awesome soccer matches between two nests of bumblebees trained to take the ball to different goals.

There's a danger that such matches would turn violent though. I know wasps and many ants will fight other nests of the same species for resources, but a quick googling didn't turn up anything about bumblebees.

MSL59.jpg
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Bees from the same nest, but trained separately to bring the ball to different goals

bees convincing the other team they are correct is fair game

VRXwDW7.png
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Bees from the same nest, but trained separately to bring the ball to different goals

bees convincing the other team they are correct is fair game

Can't agree and awesome so just the awesome then.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
This discussion has been closed.