As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Just bought an ACR.

I told my wife six months ago I'd only buy it if it's brand new, in Coyote, with the folding 6 position stock, and only if it was under $1600, and the dealer didn't charge the garbage 3% CC fee on top of the sale price. Because I've never seen them come up in Coyote, and never for under $1600. They're always in black, or "about 1500 rounds through it", or the folding stock with but with the fixed LOP, or someone's spraypainted the barrel a non-matching tan color and it's flaking. So there was no no way I was going to actually buy one. I had successfully walled off my ability to spend that money on purpose by making it a unicorn.

And I look at Gunbroker today and someone has one listed brand new, Coyote, folding 6 position stock, no CC fees, $1600.

So I just bought an ACR.

nibXTE7.png
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Just bought an ACR.

I told my wife six months ago I'd only buy it if it's brand new, in Coyote, with the folding 6 position stock, and only if it was under $1600, and the dealer didn't charge the garbage 3% CC fee on top of the sale price. Because I've never seen them come up in Coyote, and never for under $1600. They're always in black, or "about 1500 rounds through it", or the folding stock with but with the fixed LOP, or someone's spraypainted the barrel a non-matching tan color and it's flaking. So there was no no way I was going to actually buy one. I had successfully walled off my ability to spend that money on purpose by making it a unicorn.

And I look at Gunbroker today and someone has one listed brand new, Coyote, folding 6 position stock, no CC fees, $1600.

So I just bought an ACR.

Not that you did anything wrong, and I don't own an AR at all, but what's your particular love for it? Why not a SCAR?

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Well, besides the price since the SCAR never seems to drop below $2400ish, I like the heavier barrel on the ACR, the stock is more well built, the folding release on the SCAR seems to break pretty frequently, the location of some of the features like the bolt release being at the trigger guard instead of on the left on the SCAR like a standard AR. I wouldn't turn down a SCAR, if they both came in at $1600 it would honestly be hard to choose, but at ~$800 cheaper I'll take the ACR any day.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited March 2017
    A lot of the hate the ACR gets seems to come from the fact Bushmaster/Remington kind of put it out to pasture, people who bought it at release for $2200 with the promise of coming features like caliber swap kits so it could be converted to 7.62 that never materialized were pissed, and justifiably.

Demolition Ranch liked it a lot though, and the Military Arms Channel guy did like, a 4 part side-by-side review going over pretty much every possible thing between the ACR and SCAR and still preferred the ACR. So it got the goofy vote and the gung-ho vote.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Good deal, I didn't know there was that much of a price difference

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I love my Savage Axis in .308 so much that I think I'm going to double down on the cartridge. I've started looking around for a good deal on an FAL. So far most of the good condition rifles I've seen are around $1k. I might go with a parts kit if I can find one in good condition with all the bits I need.

That ACR is damn sexy but it looks like it doesn't come in .308.

That_Guy on
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    I got a cheap police surplus 6946 and it even came with a rad 15 round extended mag (which I'm guessing is just a 59 series mag with an aftermarket grip extension).

AYSOXSi.jpg

I now have a brace of gimmick Smiths

85iEmfZ.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    If you're not committed to the FAL platform I would recommend the PTR91/HK91. It's a lot of fun to shoot and I think the GI model can still be had for around $900. Mags are pretty cheap too and should range between $2and $7 depending on who is selling them and how "new" they are.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Called a guy in Eastern PA that does muzzleloader work and he's going to re-bore that Hawken .50 cal into a .54 and then I'll have two .54 hawkens.

are YOU on the beer list?
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    If you're not committed to the FAL platform I would recommend the PTR91/HK91. It's a lot of fun to shoot and I think the GI model can still be had for around $900. Mags are pretty cheap too and should range between $2and $7 depending on who is selling them and how "new" they are.

I'm not really a fan of delayed roller blowback and the G3 pattern in general. I really do want me a "right arm". The gas system on the FAL is more reliable, it has better accuracy and less recoil. I can deal with more expensive mags.

So apparently I didn't buy an ACR. Two hours after I paid I got an email saying the status had switched to "backordered". Emailed asking for an ETA and they said they can't give me one. Checked their Gunbroker feedback and apparently this is a thing with the seller, despite showing "A+" and having more than 28,000 good reviews there's almost 700 where they pulled the same garbage, list a gun as buy it now, take payment, "sorry backordered, no ETA."

The unicorn still eludes me...

nibXTE7.png
    Seriously this is the email I got.
    Unfortunately we don’t really receive ETA’s on when to expect items back in. We only know when we start unloading the truck and we see what we’ve got.

Man I wish a truck full of guns would just show up and start unloading things I didn't ask for.

Avoid wholesalehunter.com

nibXTE7.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Oh if I had the money for one of these bad boys.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/627197533

Yeah...that's how I feel about this beastie:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/628524898

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    What the goose is the point of putting up auction listings for items you aren't planning to sell? Do they just list a bunch of guns and get hopeful for the rare days a winning bid and a truck delivery are in alignment?

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I sold my XD mod.2 Subcompact today. It was a pretty emotional thing even though I've only had it for a couple of years. It was my first real EDC, what I did my 1st and 2nd Armed Security qual and requal with (2nd time the instructor asked me "where's the rest of it"), and it was what I carried to my first ever firearms instruction course, Pistolcraft I at Valor Ridge.

A lot of history in a short period of time, but now my new 19C is taking up the mantle of my do everything and do it well gun.

Fire on you crazy little bastard.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Dadgummit I bought a hand stop for my Scorpion and I need to get some picatinny rails to attach to it before the handstop can go on. Thought I was getting an MLOK handstop at the store

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So, after what seems like months I was finally able to make it to the local gunshot & range to try out a few different handguns before buying one. They actually have a pretty nice deal as they charge per caliber, not per firearm, and they include a 50 rd box of ammo. That way if you want you can try out as many different guns of the same caliber as you want at no extra charge. I put 2 magazines apiece through the Glock 19 and the Walter PPQ before trying the one I decided to go with, the Sig P320. I got what's called the Carry model, which has the shorter barrel of the Compact but the long handgrip of the Full sized, which fit great in my big hands.

wqq0zc.jpg

vpfg9z.jpg

m4nx1.jpg

They where running a deal got you a free box of Sig ammo with the purchase of any Sig, which along with the other assorted boxes of ammo I bought means so far I've put about 300 rounds through it. (I can already tell that next time I go to the range I'm gonna need to buy more cause that 300 lasted like 20 minutes).

The gun worked great without any issues, and all the ammo ran perfectly so it seems I don't have to be to picky about that. All I tried this time was 115g, next time I'll get some 124g and see if I can tell the difference.

Snake Gandhi on
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    So, after what seems like months I was finally able to make it to the local gunshot & range to try out a few different handguns before buying one. They actually have a pretty nice deal as they charge per caliber, not per firearm, and they include a 50 red box of ammo. That way if you want you can try out as many different guns of the same caliber as you want at no extra charge. I put 2 magazines apiece through the Glock 19 and the Walter PPQ before trying the one I decided to go with, the Sig P320. I got what's called the Carry model, which has the shorter barrel of the Compact but the long handgrip of the Full sized, which fit great in my big hands.

[sblock=Pics]
    wqq0zc.jpg

vpfg9z.jpg

m4nx1.jpg
    [/sblock]

They where running a deal got you a free box of Sig ammo with the purchase of any Sig, which along with the other assorted boxes of ammo I bought means so far I've put about 300 rounds through it. (I can already tell that next time I go to the range I'm gonna need to buy more cause that 300 lasted like 20 minutes).

The gun worked great without any issues, and all the ammo ran perfectly so it seems I don't have to be to picky about that. All I tried this time was 115g, next time I'll get some 124g and see if I can tell the difference.

That's a sexy gun and I will trade you my Glock 26 for it :P

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Good choice. If I hadn't just bought a new car, I'd be ordering my own SIG P320 right about now, most likely the same version as you-- Compact with Full-size grip in 9mm, convertible to .357 Sig.

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »
    So, after what seems like months I was finally able to make it to the local gunshot & range to try out a few different handguns before buying one. They actually have a pretty nice deal as they charge per caliber, not per firearm, and they include a 50 red box of ammo. That way if you want you can try out as many different guns of the same caliber as you want at no extra charge. I put 2 magazines apiece through the Glock 19 and the Walter PPQ before trying the one I decided to go with, the Sig P320. I got what's called the Carry model, which has the shorter barrel of the Compact but the long handgrip of the Full sized, which fit great in my big hands.

[sblock=Pics]
    wqq0zc.jpg

vpfg9z.jpg

m4nx1.jpg
    [/sblock]

That's a sexy gun and I will trade you my Glock 26 for it :P

I was pondering a 26 for a while for maximum concealability, but a 19 was almost too small so I didn't even try to shoot one.

The unicorn reappeared.

I searched Gunbroker about an hour ago, "ACR Military Law Enforcement Edition". Coyote brown.

Except the military version is full auto so that can't be real... which it isn't, it's the regular semi version and the seller is just trying to attract attention. It shows $1150 as the starting price, which it won't go for of course because even used they're going for $1500+ but I click anyway to read the listing.

"$1150 buy it now"

Madre de Dios

I've never clicked something faster in my life.

The guy actually called me to verify everything, and at the end of the call he goes "So... you got a sssssmokin' deal on this. We have a new guy doing listings, I told him to put it up as '$1150 no reserve' and he put it up as '$1150 no reserve, buy it now'."

And I was waiting for the other shoe to drop and for him to back out on it but he said they'll just beat it out of the new guy.

XMI8HiD.jpg

nibXTE7.png
  • RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    The one time I held an ACR it balanced really well. It was expensive at the time, but $1150 would be really hard to pass up. Hope it works out for you. Love the color.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    "Peope often miss opportunities because they come dressed in overalls and look like work". -- Thomas Edison.

A well-executed opportunity on that rifle.

Fairchild on
    Midway had a deal on BX-25 magazines for the 10/22 last week so I bought two, I didn't realize how comically huge they are. They're a single stack but I swear they're fatter than a standard 5.56 magazine. If the gun jams I can just use one as a club and bludgeon people.

nibXTE7.png
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    After looking at how damn much my roommates all spend on their guns I've deemed purchasing my own to be pretty fiscally irresponsible in the short term, but I'm definitely chipping in on helping my roommate blow through a bucket of cheapass Tula 5.56 when the free outdoor range up in the GW National Forest, on Route 33, opens up in the next couple weeks

Any gun I ever plan to purchase would basically have to be 50 state and DC legal (and preferably even transportable through Canada, because Alaska), be very versatile, and shoot a round that I could practice with affordably. I'm thinking a short-ish barreled bolt action in .308 or comparable caliber, something like the Ruger Gunsite Scout or the Tikka T3 CTR.

Pistols don't interest me too terribly, beyond perhaps a .22 or even .177 target pistol. Like, in order to get one any time soon I would have to feel a proper need to own one, and have the financial means to afford regular practice with it. I do enjoy the ergonomics on CZs, Sigs, and 1911s, though.

Mortal Sky wrote: »
    After looking at how damn much my roommates all spend on their guns I've deemed purchasing my own to be pretty fiscally irresponsible in the short term, but I'm definitely chipping in on helping my roommate blow through a bucket of cheapass Tula 5.56 when the free outdoor range up in the GW National Forest, on Route 33, opens up in the next couple weeks

Any gun I ever plan to purchase would basically have to be 50 state and DC legal (and preferably even transportable through Canada, because Alaska), be very versatile, and shoot a round that I could practice with affordably. I'm thinking a short-ish barreled bolt action in .308 or comparable caliber, something like the Ruger Gunsite Scout or the Tikka T3 CTR.

Pistols don't interest me too terribly, beyond perhaps a .22 or even .177 target pistol. Like, in order to get one any time soon I would have to feel a proper need to own one, and have the financial means to afford regular practice with it. I do enjoy the ergonomics on CZs, Sigs, and 1911s, though.

I have a Savage Axis in .308 and it's a ton of fun to shoot. Mine came with a stainless steel barrel and a scope. There are a ton of upgrades and modifications you can do to it. I've found videos on Youtube highlighting DIY upgrades like polishing the trigger group that can turn it into a real sweet shooter. Plus, you can get surplus ammo super cheap. Just this past weekend I was at the gun show and found the german surplus (147 grain FMJ brass case MEN) ammo I like to shoot for 12 bucks for a box of 20 rounds. With a Bolt Action you get to savor every round.

I've been saving my brass when I go to the range. I'm going to get a reloading station eventually so I can start experimenting with different loads.

I've been saving brass as well! But only so I can send it in to Freedom Munitions for a discount on some of their pricier stuff like Boar Buster

I've been saving brass as well! But only so I can send it in to Freedom Munitions for a discount on some of their pricier stuff like Boar Buster

Oooh. I was unaware of this. I'm going to look into it.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Did ISPC for the first time today. It was a bit different, even from multigun.

That_Guy wrote: »

Oooh. I was unaware of this. I'm going to look into it.

I've got a kitty litter jug that I've got started, it's got a long way to go before it's filled up but if I get my friends to help we should be able to go blasting enough to give it a try

• musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Did ISPC for the first time today. It was a bit different, even from multigun.

I have not done IPSC but USPSA and it is really such a "game" compared to 3gun and especially idpa. It's a lot of fun though.

sic2sig.jpg
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    It's a lot more anarchic and also more rules. Like, we turned up, asked how we could help with set up and the guy there said, "just chuck some barrels around and pile them up into obstacles." "Uh, so I put this barrel... anywhere?" Which was quite off-putting at first. Usually for multigun you're setting up a specific course.

Gvzbgul on
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    It's a lot more anarchic and also more rules. Like, we turned up, asked how we could help with set up and the guy there said, "just chuck some barrels around piles them up into obstacles." "Uh, so I put this barrel... anywhere?" Which was quite off-putting at first. Usually for multigun you're setting up a specific course.

Anarchic is a good word. In IDPA it was always like: "stand here, shoot these, reload, move etc." 3gun at least has a sequence in which you're going to handle the guns. USPSA for me was like "uh hey there are some targets over there, do what you want." It's really fun walking the stage trying to figure out how best to do it, but then you watch somebody who is running a race gun and completely give up on your plan.

sic2sig.jpg
    Went and shot the AR and the 320 today.

The 64gr Boarbuster shot well, the 40gr Vmax surprised me with how well it grouped. The 69gr HPBT's from Freedom did not shoot as well as I thought they might. I didn't make any adjustments as I've got the scope sighted in for the boar busters. It puts XM193 on target pretty damn well too.

I attribute some of that to my shooting, as I'm pretty limited with a 2.5x scope, but for hog hunting purposes I am in business. I might try the 40's on turkey this spring if I ever get a chance to head down there.

Shot 150 rounds through the Sig and it ran flawlessly and I shot really well given how fast I was pulling the trigger.

Good day at the range, as usual! And I bought another raffle ticket for a Sig 1911 Texas Edition with fancy scroll work, so I'm currently in for 3. My plan is to buy one each time I make it out to the range.

Spoilered for thoughts on gun control, because i just wrote a really long thing elsewhere and figured it was worth sharing here. I know this thread trends politically neutral so if anyone has any particular interesting responses then please respond in spoilers and if it turns into a longer conversation we can move to PMs I suppose?
    Somebody on another forum asked me what I meant by "gun moderate", after I joked that gun advocates often see gun moderates as anti-gun people with a good education. The answer started off short but got a little long. Copy and pasted it here:
    TL;DR - Guns are complicated, and the question of how to balance widespread access to guns with preventing an epidemic of violence is a tough one to answer, but I think it is an area in American politics where being a moderate is a genuine stand and not just being wishy washy.
    In case there is any question as to my own history with firearms, I’ve put several thousand rounds of ammo down range in multiple calibers, from initial experience with Ruger 10/22s and 12-ga shotguns at Boy Scout camps as a kid, to high school rifle team’s .177 target rifle pellets, to briefly handling fully auto WWII submachine guns, to backyard .308 plinking, to hunting with .375 Ruger in South Africa, to an NRA-accredited basic pistol course where I’ve handled multiple 9mm and .22 pistols. At the moment I do not personally own any guns, but I live in a house where every other roommate owns at least one gun, and I do go shooting with my roommates.
    First off, I really like bolt actions and so I’m glad that those are allowed in pretty much all jurisdictions in the country. Not that I’m inherently against semi-auto rifles, but bolt rifles are reliable, useful, and a bit more approachable for people not conditioned to being around guns. Lever actions, as well. If I buy a gun any time soon it will be a mid-sized bolt action.
    Secondly, if I were king of California (or any other state with hefty regulations on semi-auto rifles) I’d introduce hearty state tax stamps on things like pistol grips and folding stocks instead of blanket bans and the ludicrous “featureless rifle” laws. I’m also not a fan of the un-transferable “assault weapon” designation. In many states magazines over ten rounds could be more easily subjected to tax stamps than outright banned. These features are all going to exist and get smuggled around anyways so long as the AR platform is the American semi-auto of choice, so may as well pull a Colorado and make some dough off of it. On a similar note, I feel that suppressors should remain on the NFA. Simply not convinced that suppressors are something that should be viewed as standard equipment.
    Third, I think there need to be more consistent and unified background checks, and I am also a fan of closing the gun show loopholes (yes, I know they’re less black and white than the anti-gun crowd likes to insist, but if you’re pawning guns in any volume larger than the tiniest handful a year you should have some sort of mini-FFL licensing set up at least).
    Fourth, I think concealed carry permits should be federal - good in one state, good in all states. However, I also respect the right of individual states to have firearm holder’s IDs.
    [Writing this after the fact - At this point I mostly stopped listing by numbers. Fair warning: it also gets more openly political at points ahead]
    Open carry is something I have very mixed feelings on - I get why it makes sense in a lot of open places like federal lands, or even in public spaces in places with a strong gun culture, but I do also 100% get why it is seen as threatening in places with a less strong gun culture. Carrying an AR on ranch lands is very different from carrying that same gun to the mall in the suburbs. Private establishments and certain public gathering places such schools should have the right to ban firearms, if they feel it appropriate.
    I also strongly believe that the rights of all citizens to carry firearms should be upheld *equally* - there is a long history of minorities’ (be it racial, LGBT, or religious) rights to firearms being poorly respected by law enforcement and executive agencies, and I feel that the mainstream gun culture itself all too often trends toward excluding/”othering” those people (e.g., stereotyping black gun owners as having purchased their guns illegally/for illegal intent, or having entire gun stores full of Islamophobic merchandise) (see also: Jeff Cooper’s infamous statements on Los Angeles, where he derides the city as a third-world country not inhabited by Americans and sees giving guns freely to Black Americans as a measure of population control pretty much equal to ethnic cleansing) rather than vigorously defending their right to legally carry and openly advertising access to education for legal and safe use of firearms. (Disclaimer: I have known a good handful of minorities of various walks who are gun owners and users. Some were fond of mainstream gun culture, most had mixed feelings on the matter, some decidedly weren’t fans at all. All were fully compliant within the law and trained well.)
    Similarly, I think there needs to be more reaching across the aisle from the political divide - even in a vacuum I’ll bet that gun culture has an inherently conservative bent, but I do believe that integrating non-partisan gun education would be good for Americans of all walks of life. I also believe that there should be a better moderate lobbying organization - the NRA was once a moderate hunters’ lobby but now (much like too much of American politics) is driven by helping gun manufacturers build their profits/stocks by any means. I believe the NRA should be either brought back to its original state under new leadership, or someone should replace them. Someone with a similar approach to Project Appleseed (who I do feel does pretty decent work), but with a slightly louder national voice perhaps (for example, approaching the non-conservative media sphere with editorials on moderate gun policies), would hit the mark just right. Giving someone more moderate the reins would help gun owners feel less paranoid that the government is out to get their guns, and help people who have never seen guns before in their life to be a lot less skittish around them - remember, anti-gun folks often see them more as an abstract concept of death than actual machines, which allows them to hop on that slippery slope that gun owners are always on about. Also, returning to that word “othering”, making people on wither side of the divide “un-American” doesn’t exactly do anything other than stoke all too many of the cultural fires burning across the nation. Similarly, within gun culture, I feel that the term “fudd” (and I’ve seen far worse, too) has become a slur against moderates who don’t necessarily believe every American citizen is born with a god-given right to a tacticool full-auto Knights Armament Company rifle. In some degree of earnestness, I don't talk about this much I worry about exactly those slurs from gun advocates as well as being eyed as some sort of baby killer from the other side of the aisle.
    Long and short of it is, I think that the gun question in America is multi-faceted and complex in a way that far too few people want to talk about. It is my belief that good bipartisan education, responsible taxation, more consistent background checks, and a firm stand for *all* Americans’s rights to own and carry guns in a safe and appropriate manner would do a lot of good in helping answer the gun question in America.

• hsuhsu Registered User regular
    Free form shooting is the best part of IPSC. Because of that, you'll put far more rounds downrange than any other shooting sport, and proficiency is directly tied to practice time. IPSC is not my favorite shooting sport, but of all the shooting sports I've done, I definitely got the most out of IPSC, putting at least 3 times more lead downrange in an hour vs the others. And it's different than practicing alone, in that you can mimic better mechanics from the better shooters, and get feedback from those same shooters after your round.

iTNdmYl.png
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Spoilered for thoughts on gun control, because i just wrote a really long thing elsewhere and figured it was worth sharing here. I know this thread trends politically neutral so if anyone has any particular interesting responses then please respond in spoilers and if it turns into a longer conversation we can move to PMs I suppose?
    Somebody on another forum asked me what I meant by "gun moderate", after I joked that gun advocates often see gun moderates as anti-gun people with a good education. The answer started off short but got a little long. Copy and pasted it here:
    TL;DR - Guns are complicated, and the question of how to balance widespread access to guns with preventing an epidemic of violence is a tough one to answer, but I think it is an area in American politics where being a moderate is a genuine stand and not just being wishy washy.
    In case there is any question as to my own history with firearms, I’ve put several thousand rounds of ammo down range in multiple calibers, from initial experience with Ruger 10/22s and 12-ga shotguns at Boy Scout camps as a kid, to high school rifle team’s .177 target rifle pellets, to briefly handling fully auto WWII submachine guns, to backyard .308 plinking, to hunting with .375 Ruger in South Africa, to an NRA-accredited basic pistol course where I’ve handled multiple 9mm and .22 pistols. At the moment I do not personally own any guns, but I live in a house where every other roommate owns at least one gun, and I do go shooting with my roommates.
    First off, I really like bolt actions and so I’m glad that those are allowed in pretty much all jurisdictions in the country. Not that I’m inherently against semi-auto rifles, but bolt rifles are reliable, useful, and a bit more approachable for people not conditioned to being around guns. Lever actions, as well. If I buy a gun any time soon it will be a mid-sized bolt action.
    Secondly, if I were king of California (or any other state with hefty regulations on semi-auto rifles) I’d introduce hearty state tax stamps on things like pistol grips and folding stocks instead of blanket bans and the ludicrous “featureless rifle” laws. I’m also not a fan of the un-transferable “assault weapon” designation. In many states magazines over ten rounds could be more easily subjected to tax stamps than outright banned. These features are all going to exist and get smuggled around anyways so long as the AR platform is the American semi-auto of choice, so may as well pull a Colorado and make some dough off of it. On a similar note, I feel that suppressors should remain on the NFA. Simply not convinced that suppressors are something that should be viewed as standard equipment.
    Third, I think there need to be more consistent and unified background checks, and I am also a fan of closing the gun show loopholes (yes, I know they’re less black and white than the anti-gun crowd likes to insist, but if you’re pawning guns in any volume larger than the tiniest handful a year you should have some sort of mini-FFL licensing set up at least).
    Fourth, I think concealed carry permits should be federal - good in one state, good in all states. However, I also respect the right of individual states to have firearm holder’s IDs.
    [Writing this after the fact - At this point I mostly stopped listing by numbers. Fair warning: it also gets more openly political at points ahead]
    Open carry is something I have very mixed feelings on - I get why it makes sense in a lot of open places like federal lands, or even in public spaces in places with a strong gun culture, but I do also 100% get why it is seen as threatening in places with a less strong gun culture. Carrying an AR on ranch lands is very different from carrying that same gun to the mall in the suburbs. Private establishments and certain public gathering places such schools should have the right to ban firearms, if they feel it appropriate.
    I also strongly believe that the rights of all citizens to carry firearms should be upheld *equally* - there is a long history of minorities’ (be it racial, LGBT, or religious) rights to firearms being poorly respected by law enforcement and executive agencies, and I feel that the mainstream gun culture itself all too often trends toward excluding/”othering” those people (e.g., stereotyping black gun owners as having purchased their guns illegally/for illegal intent, or having entire gun stores full of Islamophobic merchandise) (see also: Jeff Cooper’s infamous statements on Los Angeles, where he derides the city as a third-world country not inhabited by Americans and sees giving guns freely to Black Americans as a measure of population control pretty much equal to ethnic cleansing) rather than vigorously defending their right to legally carry and openly advertising access to education for legal and safe use of firearms. (Disclaimer: I have known a good handful of minorities of various walks who are gun owners and users. Some were fond of mainstream gun culture, most had mixed feelings on the matter, some decidedly weren’t fans at all. All were fully compliant within the law and trained well.)
    Similarly, I think there needs to be more reaching across the aisle from the political divide - even in a vacuum I’ll bet that gun culture has an inherently conservative bent, but I do believe that integrating non-partisan gun education would be good for Americans of all walks of life. I also believe that there should be a better moderate lobbying organization - the NRA was once a moderate hunters’ lobby but now (much like too much of American politics) is driven by helping gun manufacturers build their profits/stocks by any means. I believe the NRA should be either brought back to its original state under new leadership, or someone should replace them. Someone with a similar approach to Project Appleseed (who I do feel does pretty decent work), but with a slightly louder national voice perhaps (for example, approaching the non-conservative media sphere with editorials on moderate gun policies), would hit the mark just right. Giving someone more moderate the reins would help gun owners feel less paranoid that the government is out to get their guns, and help people who have never seen guns before in their life to be a lot less skittish around them - remember, anti-gun folks often see them more as an abstract concept of death than actual machines, which allows them to hop on that slippery slope that gun owners are always on about. Also, returning to that word “othering”, making people on wither side of the divide “un-American” doesn’t exactly do anything other than stoke all too many of the cultural fires burning across the nation. Similarly, within gun culture, I feel that the term “fudd” (and I’ve seen far worse, too) has become a slur against moderates who don’t necessarily believe every American citizen is born with a god-given right to a tacticool full-auto Knights Armament Company rifle. In some degree of earnestness, I don't talk about this much I worry about exactly those slurs from gun advocates as well as being eyed as some sort of baby killer from the other side of the aisle.
    Long and short of it is, I think that the gun question in America is multi-faceted and complex in a way that far too few people want to talk about. It is my belief that good bipartisan education, responsible taxation, more consistent background checks, and a firm stand for *all* Americans’s rights to own and carry guns in a safe and appropriate manner would do a lot of good in helping answer the gun question in America.

No. The old rules found here: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/129950/guns-fire-everything/p1 specifically mention this isn't a gun control topic (it tends to get ugly), and I enjoy it so much more as a result.

sic2sig.jpg
    ah. perhaps there is an op in this thread that could be mentioned in? I am still basically new to DnD and the SE++ instinct towards bringing up anything and everything unless explicitly indicated otherwise in the forum rules as a whole is still strong

I think there is a Gun Control thread in D&D somewhere, did you do a search up top ?