As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stupid technology subforum verdict?

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    What about a juggling forum? They all seem to be pushed off the front of G&T, I never see them on the first page.

JAEF on
  • Options
    EggNogEggNog Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think you're on to something.

EggNog on
    sig-1.png
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I would've never thought that H/A was to be used for technical/computer issues until I actually looked at the forum. Then again, now it has DS and PSP game recommendation threads which seem kinda strange...

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    One problem is that with a tech forum H/A becomes basically a dating forum.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

What? I looked back one week and out of hundreds of threads, I counted less than 10 relationship threads.

MKR on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think the thing with H/A being seen as a "dating advice forum" is the fact that most of the people I know (myself included) skim the first page or two for threads that we feel concern questions that we have expertise in. Once those threads are checked, we skip to the dating/sex/etc questions for the unintentional comedy they produce.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    MKR wrote: »

What? I looked back one week and out of hundreds of threads, I counted less than 10 relationship threads.

Well I meant that if you take all of the tech questions out of it.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    MKR wrote: »

Well I meant that if you take all of the tech questions out of it.

The tech forum has been there for a month.

Did it turn H/A a dating forum?

No. It didn't.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Nibble wrote: »
    Well, it did way better than the MMO subforum ever has...

Actually the MMO has done very well.

Accualt on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2007
    Nibble wrote: »
    Well, it did way better than the MMO subforum ever has...

Oh, so you have access to accurate statistics on forum traffic? No? Maybe keep the old face a bit more on the shut side then?

Tube on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think I asked this before, but can't remember where/when -

Would it be possible to have one forum for games, one forum for tech, and one forum that displays threads from both. Basically like having a G&T forum, and allow threads to be tagged as either G or T, and give the user the option so see either Games, Tech, or G&T.

Best of both worlds right there.

LewieP on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My opinion matters naught, but I really enjoyed it. Now I'm not saying it was popular, or even needed-but it was much nicer to be able to go to a specific forum than wade through the crap of sonyolol versus wiinus olol shit.

Crayon on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    Azio wrote: »
    Andorien wrote: »
    I like it. We had some threads that would have been buried to page 2 in about four seconds in G&T.

G&T's speed really is pretty nuts. I only looked in the tech forum like once myself, but assuming they're topics that're gonna keep coming up, might as well have a place for them instead of making lots of redundant ones or having to spend forever searching for old ones. And given that H/A basically looks like "Help me with my girlfriend" half the time, I can see the want for a specific tech section.

Basically. I think when I looked threads were staying on the front page of the tech forum for like a day...whereas the oldest threads on the front page of G&T proper are often less than two hours old. Even high-volume tech-threads often fell off the front page, so some random-ass thread about graphing calculators would probably fall to page 3 before anybody ever noticed it existed, thus swiftly dying a silent death.

And H/A isn't just for "help me with my girlfriend." There's also "help me shave my junk." ;-)

In seriousness, though, there still seems to be plenty of traffic on H/A, so I think there seemed to be more than enough demand for the separate tech subforum.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I liked the technology subforum. It seemed to encourage tech discussion a lot more, and G&T wasn't nearly as busy. :^:

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's also cleaned the multitude of "Help my build my new rig" threads off the G&T front page. Well, it seemed like a multitude.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    steeefsteeef Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Another vote for a separate forum. Could we at least get those threads visible again, even if it means moving them back to the G&T forum?

steeef on
    steeef.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    "voting" for a separate forum outside of G&T will be considered a deliberate attempt to incur my displeasure

Tube on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    steeef wrote: »
    Another vote for a separate forum. Could we at least get those threads visible again, even if it means moving them back to the G&T forum?

At this point, if the threads were moved into G&T proper, they would be buried under 2 days worth of G&T threads and be effectively dead anyway.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    "voting" for a separate forum outside of G&T will be considered a deliberate attempt to incur my displeasure

Am I allowed to wonder what the logistical difference would be between having the Tech forum as a subforum of G&T and a separate forum outside of G&T?

Edit: And compare both of those to having things go back to the way that they were?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited December 2007
    Wonder all you want, as long as you keep it to yourself.

Ramius on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Scooter wrote: »
    Azio wrote: »
    Andorien wrote: »
    I like it. We had some threads that would have been buried to page 2 in about four seconds in G&T.

G&T's speed really is pretty nuts. I only looked in the tech forum like once myself, but assuming they're topics that're gonna keep coming up, might as well have a place for them instead of making lots of redundant ones or having to spend forever searching for old ones. And given that H/A basically looks like "Help me with my girlfriend" half the time, I can see the want for a specific tech section.

Basically. I think when I looked threads were staying on the front page of the tech forum for like a day...whereas the oldest threads on the front page of G&T proper are often less than two hours old. Even high-volume tech-threads often fell off the front page, so some random-ass thread about graphing calculators would probably fall to page 3 before anybody ever noticed it existed, thus swiftly dying a silent death.

And H/A isn't just for "help me with my girlfriend." There's also "help me shave my junk." ;-)

In seriousness, though, there still seems to be plenty of traffic on H/A, so I think there seemed to be more than enough demand for the separate tech subforum.

To be fair shaving your junk is pretty difficult.

I vote it stays, and not just because I don't really play games now but do still live a life of tech.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I never posted in it but lurking it was nice, a few times I had considered answering questions but decided to let it try and stand on its own I suppose. I can see the need for a separate tech forum because a lot of people (myself included) aren't hardcore gamers (anymore) but tech still interests us. For the first month of my uh, posting career, I've stayed my ass in D&D but I'd like to see it stay so the tech dorks can get off in their own right without dodging WoW threads and whatnot.

Satan. on
  • Options
    SnowconeSnowcone Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I gotta say that I quite enjoyed having it around. I mean, of course I dig games, but I find that I spend less time talking about them and more time talking tech. Having the tech threads in one place made me more active than I've been around here in quite a while. Well, aside from whoring out my site for the sake of giving you leeches free games. ;)

Snowcone on
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    As an individual user, I can only speak to my own preference, but as my interests could be said to lie more squarely in "tech" than "games", I'd like to see some form of parsing to this effect. The idea LewieP mentions (namely G, T, and G&T views) strikes me as an excellent idea, presuming it's something that could be implemented in a practical manner; if it isn't, I would love to see the return of the Stupid Tech Subforum.

As it stands, I do not really frequent the G&T forum. My life is not a vast wasteland because of this, but access to a Tech forum without Game noise would definitely improve my forum experience.

naporeon on
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I thought it was very useful. A couple of the threads, such as the advanced programming and vocaloid, would often go hours or days between posts. Because they weren't buried underneath game topics, they were still easy to find without pissing on a post to get a blue circle.

EDIT: Also, there are threads such as the cell phone thread that were moved from G&T to ST, and now cannot be posted in. If Stupid Technology is not to be, could those be moved back to G&T?

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I sorta dislike every time we have to subforum out another swath of conversation types.

Separating on and off topic is fruitful, as are forums for different purposes (other than discussion), but... well I've just said it.

Maybe it's necessary with large communities, I don't know.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Personally, I'd like to see threads get to stay on the first page for at least a day. When threads can't even stay an hour without getting pushed off, to me that says it's too busy and needs to be split up somehow.

Scooter on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I believe that said forum was pretty decent, and it has a lot of future potential if it becomes a permanent fixture.

I enjoyed being able to click on a link and see all my tech threads lined up in a row. It made them easier to track.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    I sorta dislike every time we have to subforum out another swath of conversation types.

Separating on and off topic is fruitful, as are forums for different purposes (other than discussion), but... well I've just said it.

This. And G&T (as well as the PA forums in general) is definitely large. Even with a separate tech forum, a separate MMO forum, and a separate tabletop forum you'd still see threads drop off the front page in as little as an hour there. Low-volume threads simply don't have a chance there.

If there's an interesting and beneficial subset of topics that can be split off so as to allow previously low-volume threads on the subject to flourish, I'd say it's beneficial.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I don't think vBulletin can do this, but it is similar to what lewiep says. What if instead of being in one forum or another, a thread was tagged with Games, Technology, or H/A. That way if someone is making an H/A thread about their cell phone or whatever, they could tick a box that would also list the thread in the technology subforum. Or if they were having problems with an old game, they could tick a box that would list the thread in the games section as well. That way people with tech expertise would still see relevent threads even if they don't specifically browse H/A. Obviously it doesn't make much sense to turn the other forums into tags, as nobody needs a thread to be listed in Technology and Of Dice and Men at the same time.

In before "that idea sucks"

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    That idea su-

No, really, I really, really hate the idea of links all over the place. There's certainly some logic to it, sure, but even those "MOVED ->" links that appear when a thread is moved from one subforum to another can be quite disconcerting. It's not a horrible idea, but it's something I would personally not like to see.

I'd rather Tube and the moderators just try to inspire more traffic in the other subforums, so that more technology-minded people go to H/A, or more gamers go to the Tech forum. Offer them candy or "other favors" perhaps. Or money, people always do stuff for money. In fact, if anyone would like to pay me to offer advice in H/A all day long, I'm more or less an expert on everything in existence, whether I've even heard of it or not.

In all seriousness, though, I've never been to the technology forum and I wouldn't mind seeing all those threads continue to be quarantined there but I didn't mind them in G&T either. People tend to get really antsy when it comes to technology and debates and arguments erupt, but then again what threads don't erupt into some argument or other.

In other words, I have nothing really relevant to say I suppose except that technology is cool and links to other subforums is a bad idea IMO. That'd be like...forum graffiti.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    What I envisioned was that someone in G&T seeing one of these "hybrid" threads would have no indication that the thread also existed in H/A. Maybe the idea wouldn't work so well in practice but since Tube isn't looking for ideas, yet people are still giving them, I thought I would throw it out there.

EDIT: Also I liked the Technology subform. Good move, mono.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Gihgehls approves

my life is complete

Monoxide on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »

Yes, generally it is. A quick look at G&T on the default threads per page setting shows about five tech threads on the first three pages of the forum. Now, this may have to do with some existing threads having been moved into the STSF, but it seems pretty clear that tech talk is being crowded out of G&T.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    I don't think vBulletin can do this, but it is similar to what lewiep says. What if instead of being in one forum or another, a thread was tagged with Games, Technology, or H/A. That way if someone is making an H/A thread about their cell phone or whatever, they could tick a box that would also list the thread in the technology subforum. Or if they were having problems with an old game, they could tick a box that would list the thread in the games section as well. That way people with tech expertise would still see relevent threads even if they don't specifically browse H/A. Obviously it doesn't make much sense to turn the other forums into tags, as nobody needs a thread to be listed in Technology and Of Dice and Men at the same time.

In before "that idea sucks"

That gave me the idea of having some sort of hybrid thread listings. It might work sort of like the subscribed threads in the user panel, except that you could blend in entire forums as well. For example, I might set it up so that I could see every thread in G&T, every thread in the hypothetical technology forum, every thread in D&D, as well as every thread in other forums that I've subscribed too, sorted in chronological order.

Would the current forum software support that kind of thing?

jothki on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    I would think Games And Technology being a .. forum-category of some sort and then it has two forums under it

"Games" and "Technology"

instead of Technology being a subforum of Games.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The best you're getting out of me is changing the name of G&T to Games and Stupid Technology

Tube on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Can we have a Luddite forum?

Drez on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The best you're getting out of me is changing the name of G&T to Games and Stupid Technology

Why? The forum was pretty well received, went to good use, and I think was a success.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    wunderbar wrote: »

Why? The forum was pretty well received, went to good use, and I think was a success.

Because then we would be referred to as "GAST" henceforth. And that would be awesome.

Drez on
This discussion has been closed.