As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Activision and Blizzard to merge

ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
Wow, this is really big.
BBC wrote:
The companies behind Call of Duty and World of Warcraft are merging in a deal which could shake up the global video games industry.

Activision and Blizzard have said they will form "the world's most profitable games business" in a deal worth $18.8bn (£9.15bn).

Activision were already closing the gap with EA - this surely makes them the biggest games publisher in the world?
BBC wrote:
As part of the merger plan, Blizzard will invest $2bn in the new company, while Activision is putting up $1bn.

The merged business will be called Activision Blizzard and its chief executive will be Activision's current CEO Bobby Kotick. Vivendi will be the biggest shareholder in the group.

Jean-Bernard Levy, Vivendi chief executive, said: "This alliance is a major strategic step for Vivendi and is another illustration of our drive to extend our presence in the entertainment sector. By combining Vivendi's games business with Activision, we are creating a worldwide leader in a high-growth industry."

The two firms are hoping that their different strengths will combine to form a business which is powerful on every gaming platform and in every territory. Blizzard is strong in Asia, where its Starcraft series has proved hugely popular. Starcraft, a strategy game first released in 1998, is played by millions of South Koreans in gaming cyber-cafes, and by professional gamers on television.

Activision has developed a presence on all three new generation game consoles - Microsoft's Xbox 360, Sony's PlayStation 3 and the Nintendo Wii - with franchises such as Spider-Man and X-Men. The games software industry has been through turbulent years, with companies changing ownership and going in and out of business in rapid succession.

Activision was formed in 1979 and went through bankruptcy and a series of alliances and mergers before becoming successful. Blizzard had been through a number of owners before ending up in the hands of Vivendi in 1998.

The biggest player in the industry remains Electronic Arts, the firm behind such titles as the Sims and the Fifa football games. But the emergence of a powerful well-funded rival in Activision Blizzard could trigger a new upheaval in the industry, with smaller players being gobbled up by the giants.

pokes: 1505 8032 8399
Æthelred on

• Options
    QuintileQuintile Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    uuhh.. woah.

Quintile on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Man, what?

SteevL on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well fuck-a-doodle-do.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well now...interesting.
    Kind of a surprising move on Bilzzards part.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    A_ccualt wrote: »
    Well now...interesting.
    Kind of a surprising move on Bilzzards part.

Yeah, I would have guessed they would have gone independent a long time ago.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    FrostozunaFrostozuna Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The merged business will be called Activision Blizzard
    Anyone else laugh a little at this?

Frostozuna on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I pray to god that activision does not fuck up blizzard

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ok, I will go ahead and say that I totally did not expect this to happen.

Why is it that the first thing that comes to my mind is World of Warcraft with the gibs of Soldier of Fortune?

The second thing however is Diablo 3...with more blood.

sonictk on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hubba Jubba WHA?!

Are they not making ENOUGH money as it is? What, are they planning on taking down EA in a bare handed wrestling match or something?

subedii on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Moer like Tony Hawkscraft lolz

LewieP on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Call of Duty 4craft?

yes please.

This is still weird as hell though.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    So which company is EA going to merge with now then?

Nintendo?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Well I'm happy: ATVI's my main stock of the Virtual Stock Exchange (fantasy investment).

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    Spacehog85Spacehog85 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    wow, not to be confused with world of warcraft. I mean the literal meaning of wow, shock and amazement.

Spacehog85 on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Man, what?

So Blizzard, being that they are rolling in €€€€€££$$$$$ decides to join a company that does not have the same money making machine? And they hand CEO over to them as well? And invest more.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Did not see this coming. Wow.

corin7 on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I hope this doesn't affect Blizzard's QA methods.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Man, what?

So Blizzard, being that they are rolling in €€€€€££$$$$$ decides to join a company that does not have the same money making machine? And they hand CEO over to them as well? And invest more.

Do you even know how much money Activision make?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Man, what?

Yes. But still. Even disregarding WoW, the Blizzard brand is undoubtedly one of the best brands to throw onto something. I'm not sure why they'd dilute it. Except moar money of course.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Man, what?

Yes. But still. Even disregarding WoW, the Blizzard brand is undoubtedly one of the best brands to throw onto something. I'm not sure why they'd dilute it. Except moar money of course.

I'd hardly say it was being diluted. Short of blizzard flat out buying Activision (they wouldnt and most certainly couldnt) the name Activision Blizzard is about as high profile as they could have asked for.

Especially considering Vivendi owns Blizzard and isnt even in the new name at all.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Man, what?

I'd hardly say it was being diluted. Short of blizzard flat out buying Activision (they wouldnt and most certainly couldnt) the name Activision Blizzard is about as high profile as they could have asked for.

Especially considering Vivendi owns Blizzard and isnt even in the new name at all.

Yes, but throwing the Blizzard name onto some of the things Activision publishes will dilute the perceived quality that Blizzard games automatically get saddled with.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    hooray for monolithic corporate entities!

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    As said above, I just hope this doesn't signal the downward spiral of Blizzard Quality. Blizzard has always been dependable for polished games that just click and are as easy to use as you can hope. The end of thatt would be a darn shame.

However, I do buy a lot of activision games as well, so maybe this is a good thing instead of Madden 2018471.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    World of Duty

or perhaps Call of Warcraft

Or Tony Hawk's Call of Warcraft

Zenitram on
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I can't see anything positive coming out of this.
    The again, Blizzard's actual contribution to gaming is pretty low (by which i mean the number of game releases).

I hope for all the Craft fans that those titles keep quality.
    Hopefully Activision games get better.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    *slaps head*

Have I slept for 4 months. Is it April 1st?

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well there you go, now Blizzard can NEVER start a new franchise.

Because in everyone's minds, when they publish a Craft/Diablo, it'll be a Blizzard game; but when they publish anything else, it'll be an Activision game.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ewww you got activision on my blizzard

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Does ATVI have a dedicated PC section, because that might be why they want Blizzard, a very skilled PC game maker?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    As long as they add skateboards to World of Warcraft as a promo, I win from this.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ...I read this twice before coming in, and it still makes little sense.

I mean, why would either of these companies want to merge? They're both making $Texas, they're both extremely profitable on their own. I see that the stated goal is to use Activision's console knowledge and Blizzard's PC knowledge to dominate the world, but even so.

The whole thing confuses me.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    What the fuck?
    This didn't come out of left field, it wasn't even in the fucking park.

YardGnome on
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I am calling it

US justice department and the british/eu equivalent will prevent them from merging

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Obviously this is a sign of a Starcraft MMOFPS. "Alright, we got MMO's down, and starcraft seems to be coming out pretty well too. We really don't want to fuck up this whole MMO thing though... idea's?"

"Merge with activision? I hear them call of duty games are good..."

"Hell, why not? We can afford it"

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I actually see this more as a corporate power-play than anything else. I'm sure Blizzard and Activision noticed a growing trend of EA gobbling up...well, everything in the gaming industry and merged to prevent that from happening to their companies.

I think the fears of Blizzard quality going down are unfounded, since Activision is a great game developer, and both companies will probably benefit from their designers bouncing ideas off each other.

I much prefer this to EA being able to force either company to merge with it 5-10 years down the line.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    galenblade wrote: »
    I mean, why would either of these companies want to merge?
    They're both making $Texas
    they're both extremely profitable on their own.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    YardGnome wrote: »
    What the fuck?
    This didn't come out of left field, it wasn't even in the fucking park.

This is one of those times when you know you're in one of the totally fucked alternate dimensions.

EDIT: Well we know what Monday's P-A comic will be about if they haven't made it yet.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ohtsam wrote: »
    I pray to god that activision fucks up blizzard

I hate Blizzard and wish them a horrible doom.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The goal of a company isn't to remain stagnant...it's to grow, either through revenue, free cash flow, or in market share. They want more of the market and are competing and the best way to do that sometimes is merge.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    The goal of a company isn't to remain stagnant...it's to grow, either through revenue, free cash flow, or in market share. They want more of the market and are competing and the best way to do that sometimes is merge.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker