As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

BYOC Information Mega-Thread

2»

• Merlin_KMMerlin_KM The Gentleman Wookie Western MARegistered User regular
    Don't know if there's an official Discord server. But here's one to get us started: https://discord.gg/ePQxYTr

"Coincidence? The Universe is rarely so lazy."
  • hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    Is there hope for getting the internet more stable? Getting 600 ping in Rocket League right now.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • thorkonthorkon Registered User regular
    Yeah, my wired connect is rough. Was getting 22kbp/s

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Is there hope for getting the internet more stable? Getting 600 ping in Rocket League right now.
    I would check with the byoc managers for something like that. They usually do a pretty good job of handling traffic for games themselves, although general internet traffic is throttled.

• RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    :(

2013 Prime Omeganaut
  • TaichanTaichan Registered User regular
    I have a license for Artemis: Spaceship Bridge Simulator if anyone is interested in playing it tomorrow. The license would cover all members of the ship so no need to buy anything.

• David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular

Have things improved for you? If not, like Zerzhul said, please alert the BYOC Enforcers, specifically someone in the admin area next to the stage.

• Ulfver Ulfver Registered User regular
    We spoke with the enforcers all day about the internet. The network in the BYOC is so bad that no online games can be used. Web pages take about two min to load. The only way to play is to use the free WiFi and many people do not have a WiFi adapter on their desktop. I am very disappointed having waited years to finally have enough money to go to pax with my friends and the year I go we can't actually play games together. Speaking with people who have attended previous years the internet has not been like this in years past. It was frustrating sitting there all day looking at each other and hoping it would be fixed soon only to have a Pax official tell us the internet was for playing games not downloading..... The speeds we saw were on average 0.50 Mbps down.... This is not fast enough to play games on.

The free Wi-Fi connection was averaging 20 Mbps down and 20 Mbs UP (at its best I saw 30 Mbps down and 45 Mbps up). Compare this to the BYOC 0.50 Mbps down and 1.0 Mbps up (I saw 0.83 down and 1.25 up as a high in BYOC). I would expect the needed 5 Mbps at least for the BYOC.

edited March 2017
    njcz5aix64rh.png

Ulfver on
  • mayapplemayapple TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Ditto. It got better at the end of the day, but still not functional for basic game play. And "sigh" at pax statement. Gameplay requires some constant dl.
    I've been to many a byoc and never had this issue. There is usually a Friday morning error. Some box routed wrong, someone using all bandwith cause something and then it's fixed by lunch and the weekends fine.

I'm disappointed and frustrated as well. Could you link the Twitter so additional comments can be added.

e6txb8m8cavf.png

Also is the side entrance open this morning?

e6txb8m8cavf.png

• cpc197ccpc197c Registered User regular
    At the end of the day the internet was good enough to play overwatch, but there still were either lag spikes or packet drops for ~2 seconds every 30-60 seconds. So no competitive mode :(. Getting better though.

BP8CyRA.png
    The internet seems to be working great so far this morning.

Instead of bitching about the internet (Yes it sucks a lot) lets work around it. Start playing some older games that we can do local servers. A saw a bunch of people playing Day of Defeat. There a lot of good older games we don't need internet to play. Pretty sure TF2 can be played local. As I said before I have a copy of Artamis (Though i've never played it before.) COD4? All the WW2 shoots of my teens.

Taichan wrote: »
    Instead of bitching about the internet (Yes it sucks a lot) lets work around it. Start playing some older games that we can do local servers. A saw a bunch of people playing Day of Defeat. There a lot of good older games we don't need internet to play. Pretty sure TF2 can be played local. As I said before I have a copy of Artamis (Though i've never played it before.) COD4? All the WW2 shoots of my teens.
    oh we did, but still need to let people know there is an issue. Actually it's recommended to do so, because it makes it a priority so we can actually do tournies and whatnot and have byoc game time.

e6txb8m8cavf.png

mayapple wrote: »
    oh we did, but still need to let people know there is an issue. Actually it's recommended to do so, because it makes it a priority so we can actually do tournies and whatnot and have byoc game time.

I agree let people know. But from what I got from the admins is there was a cap put on the network that wasn't there last year and thats what causing the problem. So they didn't know there would be an issue. I'm just trying to support the idea of work with what we've got. Not dread on what we haven't.

• RhileyRhiley Registered User regular

That only works if people knew to install those beforehand.

2013 Prime Omeganaut
    Please disregard my comment about the internet working great this morning. There is a lot of lag and packet loss still. Most of the multiplayer games we were hoping to play together like dota, league of legends, for honor, rainbow six siege etc.... are still unplayable.

mayapple wrote: »

I agree let people know. But from what I got from the admins is there was a cap put on the network that wasn't there last year and thats what causing the problem. So they didn't know there would be an issue. I'm just trying to support the idea of work with what we've got. Not dread on what we haven't.

I agree that we need to work with what we've got... which is why we setup the Day Of Defeat Source to play yesterday and we figured out how to use our phones as mobile hot spots to tether the convention center free WiFi to our desktops. I just want to make sure that PAX knows how dissapointed I am to have come all the way from Phoenix AZ to play with my buddies and they games we love most have been rendered unplayable. It's frustrating to know that this hasn't been a problem in years past and that the internet is working fine in the freeplay and discord areas. We are being told by the enforcers that PAX decided not to work with LANFest to host the BYOC this year and that the PAX Organizers decided that a .5 Mbps cap was all that was needed for the BYOC. I'm not sure exactly what happend but it is really disappointing to pay extra for the BYOC and then we have to go wait in line for the 45 min time capped freeplay area to be able to play together.

• Paulwalls45Paulwalls45 Registered User new member
    .5 Mbps is unacceptable, how many people would have agreed to purchase this extra badge had we known before hand how restricted our connection would be? I was here last year when LANFest hosted it all around was a much more enjoyable experience, I would not recommend to my friends as this is not worth the extra money anymore.

• TheYimTheYim Registered User regular
    BYOC... you tried, you failed. Bring back @Vapok

• cpc197ccpc197c Registered User regular
    In the end I was able to play overwatch well enough for non competitive mode. It worked, albeit with horrible ping spikes.

All I can do is hope it is better for years to come.

BP8CyRA.png
  • thorkonthorkon Registered User regular
    We had this issue about 4 years ago too. It was 1mb down by Sunday morning which was usable for LoL but it's unfortunate it took so long to get handled. I understand it's out of a lot of people's hands and its hard to get things done. I did miss the Lanfest support. I've come to know the guys from the years.

• mariomaster777mariomaster777 Registered User regular
    I have a license for Artemis: Spaceship Bridge Simulator if anyone is interested in playing it tomorrow. The license would cover all members of the ship so no need to buy anything.

Darn! I wish I saw this post at the convention. I would have done it in a heartbeat! Going to be there next year?

• RooslinRooslin Registered User regular
    This has been my 6th PAX East and each year I've attended the BYOC. The last few years I have been going mostly for the BYOC. This year has been an absolutely terrible experience. couldn't play anything online and had to just play couch games and day of defeat source.

In the end I think we as a group are just going to switch to Dreamhack instead of PAX East.

• GamerFatcatGamerFatcat Registered User new member
    This was my 3rd PAX EAST. I've attended BYOC every year, 2015, 2016 was great. The idea of BYOC is great. A group of friends and I love this as a venue to hang out in person, since we can only play games online because of distance. The Enforcers are genuinely nice people. 2015 and 2016 there was even a raffle. Perhaps I'm spoiled in this regard but it was a bit disappointing not having a raffle this year. Not a deal breaker.

The network/internet was awful. Previous years we had next to no issues (aside from maybe a small issue that was resolved early Friday morning). 2017 PAX BYOC was incredibly disappointing. I convinced friends to save up money and attend this event because my experience the past years was excellent. I figured they would come to PAX / BYOC this year and really enjoy themselves. With a lack of connection for games that are largely internet required nowadays... we were left with couch games or old Lan games. We managed to enjoy ourselves to an extent playing Gangbeasts and Day of Defeat Source. We would've loved to have played For Honor or any number of online games. Essentially forcing us to plug our phones into our desktop in order to utilize the public WIFI is really quite sad.

My only hope is that maybe someone at PAX with some kind of influence will see my post and other posts here on the thread and strive to make PAX EAST BYOC 2018 better. As it stands, myself and a number of my friends that attended, are likely going to go to a different convention altogether. A shame really since the staff and past experiences have been great.

Hard drive shuffleboard is still good. The community of gamers in BYOC is good. The volunteers/enforcers are nice people. BYOC itself can be wonderful. Having a place to hang out and play games makes BYOC valuable. Hell, even having a place to bring your food to eat, since the tables upstairs can fill up quickly, makes BYOC nice.

A network that works, including internet, is essential for BYOC to be what we need/want it to be. Most games need DL/UL to work nowadays. We don't need much, just enough for services like UPLAY or Battlenet etc.

My shuffleboard partner and I reached second place. I was also able to win the hearthstone tournament. A couple of the few highlights I had this year. While this is mostly a rant... I will say this; Thank you enforcers for your time and effort making BYOC a pleasant experience (besides the glaring network issues).