As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DCEU] launched a streaming service which has Young Justice S3

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Holy shit a joke.

It looks alright so far. Though I'm worried it's going to be some excellent action interspersed with incredibly tedious drama akin to BvS.

The DCEU does make good trailers occasionally RE: Man of Steel. Unfortunately they have proven very little that they can back that up.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    They seem to be leaning pretty hard on Chris Pine. They're showing him talk a lot in the trailers and he's got the best lines.

They haven't shown Gal Gadot speak as much. I have a hunch that Chris Pine is a much better actor than Gal Gadot.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Both Wonder Woman and her mother have horrible accents.

sig.gif
  • Options
    They seem to be leaning pretty hard on Chris Pine. They're showing him talk a lot in the trailers and he's got the best lines.

They haven't shown Gal Gadot speak as much. I have a hunch that Chris Pine is a much better actor than Gal Gadot.

While that's true it's wise for the movie to surround her with accomplished actors to cover her weak spots. That said, it's still a big gamble since this is her first lead role.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    The few brief seconds where there was no blue filter smeared all over it visually looked quite good. I have a feeling this is going to be yet another DC movie where everyone says "There was potential there, but then they let Zach Snyder near it." I'm also rather worried that Chris Pine is going to overshadow Gadot, and not because he's stealing the scenes but just because Gadot is not that good.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Yeah, at last the trailer had colors. I was almost shocked when I saw the trailer and it wasn't a hundred different shades of dark blue and black.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The new reliance on flashbacks is hilarious. And not surprising in the least. This is what results when you try to build the foundation after you already built the penthouse. I guess the nicest thing to say is that at least they realize they have to address said foundation. But good god this is going to be a train wreck.

Meanwhile Marvel can do effectively the same thing with just 2 lines of dialog.

Ant-Man: Hey, about last time...
    Falcon: It was a great audition, and it'll never happen again.

And they can get away with it because you know exactly what that refers to if you saw Ant-Man. No need at all to force a flashback that would otherwise kill the narrative.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    The new reliance on flashbacks is hilarious. And not surprising in the least. This is what results when you try to build the foundation after you already built the penthouse. I guess the nicest thing to say is that at least they realize they have to address said foundation. But good god this is going to be a train wreck.

With their flash forwards (how does this work?) they'd be having a very difficult task ahead of themselves under the best of circumstances. It'd be a big job if Marvel did it, with DC/WB it's destined to be a disaster because they're not very good at this stuff. They have no institutional memory to get it right, they'd need someone like Christopher Nolan to do the heavy lifting on that and he's noped out pretty quick post-Dark Knight saga.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

With their flash forwards (how does this work?) they'd be having a very difficult task ahead of themselves under the best of circumstances. It'd be a big job if Marvel did it, with DC/WB it's destined to be a disaster because they're not very good at this stuff. They have no institutional memory to get it right, they'd need someone like Christopher Nolan to do the heavy lifting on that and he's noped out pretty quick post-Dark Knight saga.

Nolan couldn't even manage a competent third film in his own trilogy, I don't see him as someone to usher in a series of films about different characters.

• Options
    edited March 2017

Nolan couldn't even manage a competent third film in his own trilogy, I don't see him as someone to usher in a series of films about different characters.

His first two films were excellent, and he's got a skill level higher than what DC has access to. He also has his brother, Jonathan Nolan, and when they worked together they made TDK and by himself he's made Person of Interest, the short story Momento was based on, and Westworld.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    The real issue with the DCEU is that they don't have their own Feige, that is someone who both knows how to put the pieces in place to make make a good film AND loves the DC universe that he's working with. That's really been the MCU's key, Marvel found the guy with the right mix of movie skill and comic love and Disney kept giving that guy more power to do things the right way.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

While that's true it's wise for the movie to surround her with accomplished actors to cover her weak spots. That said, it's still a big gamble since this is her first lead role.

On the other hand, you need actors that are not too much better (or can act that way), or else they won't shore up the weak spots--they'll highlight them.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    The real issue with the DCEU is that they don't have their own Feige, that is someone who both knows how to put the pieces in place to make make a good film AND loves the DC universe that he's working with. That's really been the MCU's key, Marvel found the guy with the right mix of movie skill and comic love and Disney kept giving that guy more power to do things the right way.

Beyond that though, is the simple inability to grasp basic film making; SS's incompetence went beyond simply poor characterization and into the fundamentals including
    • Bad color
    • Bad acting
    • Pointless plot threads
    • Pointless characters
    • Bad lighting
    • Bad editing

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    But that makeup was Oscar-worthy!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    And it made like a billion dollars, so it can't be all that bad!
    I saw it in theatres, believe me, I know it was that bad.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Forar wrote: »
    And it made like a billion dollars, so it can't be all that bad!
    I saw it in theatres, believe me, I know it was that bad.

While it did make a lot of money did SS really cross the billion dollar mark?

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »
    AspectVoid wrote: »

Beyond that though, is the simple inability to grasp basic film making; SS's incompetence went beyond simply poor characterization and into the fundamentals including
    • Bad color
    • Bad acting
    • Pointless plot threads
    • Pointless characters
    • Bad lighting
    • Bad editing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDclQowcE9I

Folding Ideas did a RLM on the film, and the review gets into the details of what was off.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Did you just attribute film analysis to RLM?

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

When they're on their game they're insightful. Watch their Star Wars prequel reviews.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

When they're on their game they're insightful. Watch their Star Wars prequel reviews.

Rape jokes annoy me, and lack of self awareness doubly so. So no, I think I'll examine analysis of people who know what the fuck they're talking about, and aren't douchebags. It's like if you had said that analyzing films was the FCH approach.

• Options

Rape jokes annoy me, and lack of self awareness doubly so. So no, I think I'll examine analysis of people who know what the fuck they're talking about, and aren't douchebags. It's like if you had said that analyzing films was the FCH approach.

They do know what they're talking about, but I do agree the narrative/persona surrounding it can be irritating.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Yeah, the Plinkette reviews aren't exactly for everyone, but to dismiss them out of hand if you are looking for insightful film analysis is a bit of a weird position to take.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Aw man, that's really sad. Affleck seems like such a good guy.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    So...BvS and Justice League knocked him off the wagon?

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Good, now they have extra time to perfect the script! :rotate:

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

You saw the same interviews I did. He looked pretty trashed at most of his press events.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I wonder if they move some films around or WB had an insurance policy on him, although this isn't during actual production.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

You saw the same interviews I did. He looked pretty trashed at most of his press events.

Gives a whole new meaning to that hello darkness video from the BvS press interview :/

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

The fact that his passion project bombed was probably a big deal.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    It's like if you had said that analyzing films was the FCH approach.
    Just to clarify: are you saying that FCH *isn't* doing film analysis?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    It's like if you had said that analyzing films was the FCH approach.
    Just to clarify: are you saying that FCH *isn't* doing film analysis?

The point is that saying "x did a RLM on this movie" is a bit like saying "I did an Ebert on the new Marvel movie" to mean "I wrote a review."

FCH does film analysis but it's a very specific kind. Same for RLM--if I was gonna verb that in this context I would probably mean it as "made a feature length review/anlysis video" (or in a different context, "reviewed a movie while drunk,") because that's what I specifically associate with RLM. But they certainly didn't invent the video essay.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I agree with what you're saying, Astaereth, but Fencingsax's post struck me as saying something more/different than that:
    I think I'll examine analysis of people who know what the fuck they're talking about, and aren't douchebags. It's like if you had said that analyzing films was the FCH approach.
    To me that sounds like he's saying, "There are people who know what the fuck they're talking about and aren't douchebags. RLM ain't that, and by association FCH isn't either (i.e. RLM and FCH are douchebags and/or they don't know what they're talking about)." But it's not entirely clear to me, which is why I was asking for clarification.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I'm coming to greatly appreciate that most writing standards mandate writing out acronyms the first time they're mentioned. The fuck are RLM and FCH?

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I'm coming to greatly appreciate that most writing standards mandate writing out acronyms the first time they're mentioned. The fuck are RLM and FCH?

Red Letter Media (i.e. the Mister Plinkett guys) and Film Crit Hulk

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Just because you have something insightful to say, doesn't mean you can't absolutely fuck up in saying it. Those Red Letter Media videos on the prequels have some amazing things to say. They way they chose to say them was the most fucking cringeworthy thing I've ever seen. If they just had fucking said it normally it would have been great.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Just because you have something insightful to say, doesn't mean you can't absolutely fuck up in saying it. Those Red Letter Media videos on the prequels have some amazing things to say. They way they chose to say them was the most fucking cringeworthy thing I've ever seen. If they just had fucking said it normally it would have been great.

If they said it with no gimmick, few would have watched it. There must have been grounded video essays on the prequel trilogy before the Plinkett character came along in 2012 - no one talks about them today.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

If they said it with no gimmick, few would have watched it. There must have been grounded video essays on the prequel trilogy before the Plinkett character came along in 2012 - no one talks about them today.

Nah, there's a ton of succesful critics on youtube who speak normally and don't make rape jokes

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »

Gives a whole new meaning to that hello darkness video from the BvS press interview :/

As someone who teeters on having a drinking habit turn into a problem, this makes me unconscionably sad.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
This discussion has been closed.