As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Battle Over Voting Rights (also Gerrymandering)

• enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    According to WaPo, Jeff Sessions spoke to the Russian ambassador twice last year, didn't disclose it during confirmation hearings.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Yeah we're talking about that in the Russia thread

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    Oh security surveilance for everything was on my list.

But YOUR flimsy reality-based evidence is merely doctored.

The concerned citizen tackling voter fraud and investigating you has the real tapes, not the stuff you extended through witchcraft to deceive these good white Christian people and rabble rouse undesirables.

Fact-immunity is a thing in this time. The accusations do not need to even make logical sense and still they will have legs and shamble forth to infect with their noxious bite. Innocence proves nothing, like a certain franchise likes to say.

Insane, but our path forward on this unfortunately has to trek through the winds of madness toward the shining goal of... what we really ought to have already by now, damn these obstructors.

But as a private organization, I don't give a monkeys if 55% of the country think I'm a bag of demons. All I care about is the people I'm paying to get ID's and the politicians I'm making massive campaign contributions to to shut up about it. Even if say I somehow manage to enable a non-citizen to get registered to vote, then who cares. It's the GOVERNMENTS job to prevent voter fraud, not mine. I just paid for their forms and dropped them off, the government let them register improperly.

It's why it can't be public. Because it needs to be immune to what Republicans think of it and purely partisan.

It's also why it's past time that we stop 'Rocking the Vote' and start 'Rocking the Democratic Vote'. Celebs need to stop saying "Go out and have your voices heard". They need to say, "I'm going to go and vote Democrat, I'm cool, go vote Democrat and be cool like me."

Sadly that wont work, because the conservatives vote republican for the same reasons you vote democrat.

Not saying the two are the same, functionally, far from it. Democrats give a shit about the people, Republicans only give a shit about the rich, but that " I believe my side is the good side! " is not something you overcome with liberal celebrities sticking their noses in politics, or angry internet people yelling at them for being wrong and evil.

You have to do it in degrees, Little fights in the long war to get them to open their eyes and learn to question and not believe what they are told without researching it and verifying it via reputable sources, all without sinking to their level and having loads of irrefutable proof.

It takes time, and effort, and can be soul crushing..but its the only true way to win. Remember, you arent trying to convince someone that your approach to general relativity is better than their general relativity, you are trying to get people who have spend potentially decades knee deep in indoctrination, to accept that their way isnt entirely the right way.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    It doesn't really take that much finesse.

We have already done the job of getting people to believe that Democrats have their best interests in mind. They're out there, their minds are made up.

They just don't vote. Republicans do.

"Get out the vote" is functionally the same as "Get out the Democratic vote" because Democrats are the ones not voting.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    ElJeffe wrote: »

We have already done the job of getting people to believe that Democrats have their best interests in mind. They're out there, their minds are made up.

"Get out the vote" is functionally the same as "Get out the Democratic vote" because Democrats are the ones not voting.

I will agree with that, apathy tends to run super high on the democratic side of voters.

I'm starting to realize i was a bit of an anomaly when it comes to young voters, too, considering i registered the second I was of age and have voted in every election since.

Buttcleft on
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Buttcleft wrote: »

I will agree with that, apathy tends to run super high on the democratic side of voters.

I'm starting to realize i was a bit of an anomaly when it comes to young voters, too, considering i registered the second I was of age and have voted in every election since.

The only reason I didn't is because voting Democrat in Massachusetts is like pissing into an ocean of piss, I started voting with Barack in 08 because, in addition to liking him more, I wanted to be able to say I voted for the first black president. I've been voting ever since. Though not enough locally. That's changing this year.

Sleep on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

We need 18-25 year olds. People in my age group wont change, alot of them still feel the Bush hurt and have heavy apathy towards the system. We can convince these kids their lifestyles threatens the gop and they are in danger. That Trump is likely gonna reinstitute the draft if he finds a good target and will start shoving them in camps if they even sneeze gay. That your 4 years in college are just for a debt youll carry into your 60s. They need a reason to organize beyond us asking politely

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »
    Veevee wrote: »
    Are there any organisations in the US that help people who struggle to afford it to get their passports and/or driver's licenses?

There's a few, but it's generally more of a "Help you fill out paperwork and get where you need to go" thing than a financial assistance thing. And they can't really help when "where you need to go" is thousands of miles away because you have to get a special piece of paper in person because America, fuck you, that's why.

Maybe someone should look into starting such an organization...

I'm pretty sure several Democrats, some prominent and some up and coming, have been talking about this exact thing.

Jason Kander has started Let America Vote.

I still love that ad so very much. Shame he lost his Senate bid, but glad to see he remains (as the Pod Save America gents call him) a "card carrying badass".

I have already sent them money to get set up. It looks like right now they're more interested on focusing on the 'prevent bad laws' side instead of the 'mitigate bad laws already there' side but if the organization gets established enough it can do both.

And, bluntly, because this horribleness is what the country is back to being, this organization may have a better shot than ACORN and others because it's being started and run by a white male veteran. I hate saying this, but it's true now.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    Oh security surveilance for everything was on my list.

But YOUR flimsy reality-based evidence is merely doctored.

The concerned citizen tackling voter fraud and investigating you has the real tapes, not the stuff you extended through witchcraft to deceive these good white Christian people and rabble rouse undesirables.

Fact-immunity is a thing in this time. The accusations do not need to even make logical sense and still they will have legs and shamble forth to infect with their noxious bite. Innocence proves nothing, like a certain franchise likes to say.

Insane, but our path forward on this unfortunately has to trek through the winds of madness toward the shining goal of... what we really ought to have already by now, damn these obstructors.

But as a private organization, I don't give a monkeys if 55% of the country think I'm a bag of demons. All I care about is the people I'm paying to get ID's and the politicians I'm making massive campaign contributions to to shut up about it. Even if say I somehow manage to enable a non-citizen to get registered to vote, then who cares. It's the GOVERNMENTS job to prevent voter fraud, not mine. I just paid for their forms and dropped them off, the government let them register improperly.

It's why it can't be public. Because it needs to be immune to what Republicans think of it and purely partisan.

It's also why it's past time that we stop 'Rocking the Vote' and start 'Rocking the Democratic Vote'. Celebs need to stop saying "Go out and have your voices heard". They need to say, "I'm going to go and vote Democrat, I'm cool, go vote Democrat and be cool like me."

Sadly that wont work, because the conservatives vote republican for the same reasons you vote democrat.

Not saying the two are the same, functionally, far from it. Democrats give a shit about the people, Republicans only give a shit about the rich, but that " I believe my side is the good side! " is not something you overcome with liberal celebrities sticking their noses in politics, or angry internet people yelling at them for being wrong and evil.

You have to do it in degrees, Little fights in the long war to get them to open their eyes and learn to question and not believe what they are told without researching it and verifying it via reputable sources, all without sinking to their level and having loads of irrefutable proof.

It takes time, and effort, and can be soul crushing..but its the only true way to win. Remember, you arent trying to convince someone that your approach to general relativity is better than their general relativity, you are trying to get people who have spend potentially decades knee deep in indoctrination, to accept that their way isnt entirely the right way.

What I'm suggesting is that the only effective response to Republican partisan voter suppression from the federal government, is Democratic voter enhancement from the private sector. The Republicans aren't going to stop themselves from passing their own laws, and if we try to use any federal or state money, they will use their power to stop us. There is little to nothing we can do to oppose them effectively, because even though their laws are illegal, and will eventually be overturned they just need to work for long enough to cause annoyance and confusion. So, voter suppression must be opposed by active voter enhancement from the Private sector. The republicans advantage is that they can make systems contrived and annoying, because their backers are well documented old people with lots of time. If we can even the playing field, and effectively give Democratic voters time, money and documents to get into the system then it makes it much harder to disenfranchise them in a way that can be spun as 'just good sensible precautions'.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • PriestPriest Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    @So It Goes Would election laws, with regards to campaign finance, be germane to this thread? Specifically, I'm wondering where the best place to discuss this would be, if there is such a place. Thanks.

Edit: Link removed. Thanks SIG.

Priest on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    That's outside the scope of this thread.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Texas' map was struck down tonight.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    One thing I should note about these legal victories is they highlight the importance of pre-clearance. They're coming in 2016/2017 after redistricting happened in 2011. So for three federal elections black and Hispanic voters were not represented the way they should be.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

We need 18-25 year olds. People in my age group wont change, alot of them still feel the Bush hurt and have heavy apathy towards the system. We can convince these kids their lifestyles threatens the gop and they are in danger. That Trump is likely gonna reinstitute the draft if he finds a good target and will start shoving them in camps if they even sneeze gay. That your 4 years in college are just for a debt youll carry into your 60s. They need a reason to organize beyond us asking politely

18 to 25 year olds don't even know who Bush is

wbBv3fj.png
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    One thing I should note about these legal victories is they highlight the importance of pre-clearance. They're coming in 2016/2017 after redistricting happened in 2011. So for three federal elections black and Hispanic voters were not represented the way they should be.

Maybe it's just my jaded nature, but I feel like it gives the GOP the complete opposite message. They got 5-8 years of free gerrymandering which allowed them to retake the House and implement all of their stupid obstructionism. Now, they have to go back and redraw them, likely only slightly different, or to a similar outcome, and reap the same benefits until the next round of lawsuits wind their way through court and they get struck down again.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »

Maybe it's just my jaded nature, but I feel like it gives the GOP the complete opposite message. They got 5-8 years of free gerrymandering which allowed them to retake the House and implement all of their stupid obstructionism. Now, they have to go back and redraw them, likely only slightly different, or to a similar outcome, and reap the same benefits until the next round of lawsuits wind their way through court and they get struck down again.

Certainly true, but unless they did a poor job gerrymandering the first time, it's going to be hard to gerrymander even further, and the whole thing relies on trading two losses for a slim win and an overwhelming loss. Since Americans reflexively hate whoever's in power, they're going to really need laser focus to double down on the gerrymandering to get the same effectiveness as they saw before. Much better and easier to focus on voter suppression, and also less likely to completely blow up in your face the moment proper districting is restored. Which is kind of why I'm both kind of happy and nervous about Trump and pals getting away from the "millions of illegal voters" story. While I have no doubt it's still in the back of their minds and some motion is being made amidst the smokescreen of the rest of their shit show, the closer they really kick off that shit to elections, the more awful it's going to look for them and the less courts will be willing to look the other way on it.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    If a state has its district lines rejected as predjudiced by the court, that should automatically require the state to get pre-approval for the next 10-15 years.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    If a state has its district lines rejected as predjudiced by the court, that should automatically require the state to get pre-approval for the next 10-15 years.

Again, not to sound jaded, but get pre-approval from the Sessions DOJ? sigh. There really needs to be an apolitical body that does this.
    ArcTangent wrote: »

Since Americans reflexively hate whoever's in power, they're going to really need laser focus to double down on the gerrymandering to get the same effectiveness as they saw before.

I think you're underestimating how much they have gerrymandered things in some districts. If I remember correctly, in the 2012 elections, statewide in Pennsylvania, every individual GOP vote for Rep counted for 5 Democrat votes. Meaning you needed to beat the GOP by more than 5-1, which is basically impossible. I get that not every state is gerrymandered as badly, but with The Base® you already get ~40% of the vote regardless, which means you only need to gerrymander a little bit in every district to swing things by a lot.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Goumindong wrote: »

18 to 25 year olds don't even know who Bush is

Thats my point we can get them to be regular voters if we try. Im 35 I was turning 18 when Bush crushed any idealism I had for our system and the internet wasnt at a point where a smart political party could rally my age range into doing something so we slid into apathy.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »

Again, not to sound jaded, but get pre-approval from the Sessions DOJ? sigh. There really needs to be an apolitical body that does this.
    ArcTangent wrote: »

Since Americans reflexively hate whoever's in power, they're going to really need laser focus to double down on the gerrymandering to get the same effectiveness as they saw before.

I think you're underestimating how much they have gerrymandered things in some districts. If I remember correctly, in the 2012 elections, statewide in Pennsylvania, every individual GOP vote for Rep counted for 5 Democrat votes. Meaning you needed to beat the GOP by more than 5-1, which is basically impossible. I get that not every state is gerrymandered as badly, but with The Base® you already get ~40% of the vote regardless, which means you only need to gerrymander a little bit in every district to swing things by a lot.

You need to cite that because the conclusion you draw and the ratio you give are from fantasy made up figure land and are the sort of things that are inversely proportional. It's not really how gerrymandering works at all.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The gerrymandering used today is more Cracking than it is Packing.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

And cracking is risky because it lowers margins across the board. All it takes is a slight uptick in opposition turnout to swamp you in multiple districts, instead of just the one seat that they should have gotten proportionally.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »

And cracking is risky because it lowers margins across the board. All it takes is a slight uptick in opposition turnout to swamp you in multiple districts, instead of just the one seat that they should have gotten proportionally.

Dems need to get their shit together and start recruiting for 2018 right fucking now.

Dems need to get their shit together and start recruiting for 2018 right fucking now.

Recruiting is way up for this year's Virginia races. They're actually running someone for every seat!

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

Recruiting is way up for this year's Virginia races. They're actually running someone for every seat!

The key thing is to NOT GIVE UP when the first effort doesn't go well. I'm sure Virginia will be a dissapointment, but we have to keep bashing our heads into this damn wall till it falls down.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Absolutely.

The GOP has won a LOT of seats all over, which gives them immense power. It also gives them a lot to lose, and even token challenges across the board adds up to a lot of time, money, and manpower that has to be dedicated to defending those lines.

Like we're seeing with the Resistance Recess actions the Pod Save America gents keep talking about, congresspeople everywhere are feeling the brunt of these townhalls and the avalanche of phone calls and faxes and emails that are coming in.

Not every effort will be a win, but that has to be channeled into a drive to fight all that much harder.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Federal judge finds that Texas' voter ID law had discriminatory invent. Probably overturned when it gets to the newly Gorsuchified SCOTUS, but still.

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Trump to sign an executive order to start a commission to review voter fraud/suppression. VP Mike Pence and Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach will be head as chair/vice chair of the "Presidential Commission on Election Integrity".

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/president-trump-expected-launch-commission-election-integrity/story?id=47337222

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Trump to sign an executive order to start a commission to review voter fraud/suppression. VP Mike Pence and Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach will be head as chair/vice chair of the "Presidential Commission on Election Integrity".

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/president-trump-expected-launch-commission-election-integrity/story?id=47337222

Kris fucking Kobach?

*picks up pillow to scream into it*

*puff of feathers seen coming from the top of chimney*

AKA the commission to repeal the VRA entirely, not just the parts John Roberts thinks he can get away with.

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

I feel like this was planned to happen after they got that pesky FBI G-man out of the way. Now every small-minded grievance afflicting his addled mind about not winning the popular vote can be validated by a panel of stooges

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    And the DNC responds:

Good to see Perez getting in front of this.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Unusual and welcome news: looks like this is a positive story about voting rights from the Alabama legislature. Restoring voting rights to a significant number of people who have been disqualified due to a felony.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Today (last week) in Kris Kobach is a fucking piece of work:

A Federal Judge ordered Kobach to turn over documents relating to a brief he gave Trump on modifications to the motor-voter law. Kobach relents, stamps them with CONFIDENTIAL and says ACLU can't tell anyone about them. It is infuriatingly effective.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article149757479.html
    Dale Ho, the director of the ACLU’s Voting Rights Project, confirmed that the organization had received the documents that evening, but said Kobach’s office “erroneously stamped them as confidential documents that cannot be disclosed beyond the parties.”

Ho said the documents are not confidential under the court’s order, and that the ACLU will be seeking to have the confidential designation removed. The designation affects the ACLU’s ability to disclose the contents to news organizations and the broader public.
    Hopefully a preview of what that prick has been scheming will be forthcoming.

The ACLU, it will not surprise you to learn, is not a fan of Kris Kobach.

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular

A Federal Judge ordered Kobach to turn over documents relating to a brief he gave Trump on modifications to the motor-voter law. Kobach relents, stamps them with CONFIDENTIAL and says ACLU can't tell anyone about them. It is infuriatingly effective.

Dale Ho, the director of the ACLU’s Voting Rights Project, confirmed that the organization had received the documents that evening, but said Kobach’s office “erroneously stamped them as confidential documents that cannot be disclosed beyond the parties.”

Ho said the documents are not confidential under the court’s order, and that the ACLU will be seeking to have the confidential designation removed. The designation affects the ACLU’s ability to disclose the contents to news organizations and the broader public.

I wonder if the ACLU could just make it so that anyone who applies can be an honorary member of the legal team.

Kobach is like the second most dangerous man in America (to Sessions).

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Wouldn't this be a time for a mysterious anonymous leaker to get these papers somehow to the media?

Krieghund wrote: »
    Wouldn't this be a time for a mysterious anonymous leaker to get these papers somehow to the media?

No. Everyone would immediately point to the ACLU releasing the documents.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Does Kobach even have the authority to classify documents?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Does Kobach even have the authority to classify documents?

Sort of - lawyers can declare some work product that has to be handed over confidential, to prevent wider dissemination. This memo should not have been, but it requires a court to rule as such to remove the confidential status.

This discussion has been closed.