As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Camp Comic] Friday, March 10, 2017 - Camp Contest

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited March 2017 in Camp Weedonwantcha

image[Camp Comic] Friday, March 10, 2017 - Camp Contest

Camp Contest

Camp Contest

http://campcomic.com/comic/409

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• zethololozethololo Registered User regular
    for U.S. only?! damn it. still gonna apply though! don't really need the book, have a kickstarter one :) when's the second coming btw? :))

• briguybriguy Registered User regular
    zethololo wrote: »
    for U.S. only?! damn it. still gonna apply though! don't really need the book, have a kickstarter one :) when's the second coming btw? :))

http://campcomic.com/news/post/some-things

That doesn't say when, but volume 2 is close to ending. It sounds like it'll be a while, though.

This sounds fun! I look forward to seeing the winner! Will we get to see the runner-ups too? There are some wickedly funny and obersevent readers and I bet you get a lot of good ones.

Don't feel bad for Adam. It's only because he's getting promoted to Lead Writer.

• xUsakoxUsako Registered User regular
    *screeching forever, because Europe*
    ;__________;

I mean, unless it's because of some kind of law problem and not the crazy shipping costs, maybe they could let non-U.S. residents win a digital copy?
    Or they could just win the praise of their peers.

• DublinDublin Registered User regular
    Well.... Canada for the win, I guess!

• AdamRWAdamRW Registered User regular
    briguy wrote: »
    I mean, unless it's because of some kind of law problem and not the crazy shipping costs, maybe they could let non-U.S. residents win a digital copy?

I cannot tell a lie... It was because of the crazy shipping costs. I'm sorry that we're so stingy!

We would absolutely let non-US people have a digital copy! Y'know, if they were into it.

• Christian LeBlancChristian LeBlanc Registered User regular
    Shipping costs *have* gotten crazy. And if they went with UPS, then the recipient would probably have to pay at *least* $25 to UPS to claim their prize (I'm in Canada and working around this right now; someone sent me a gift valued at $25 US and UPS wants $24.76 from me for brokerage fees...it's nuts!)

• ccrashhccrashh Registered User new member
    That's too bad. Didn't see that about non-US until I finished some rough drafts of a couple of ideas. That was a waste of 1/2 hour or so. Sigh.

• CryptkickerCryptkicker Registered User regular
    Anyone else remember Dysfunctional Family Circus...?

• PirateTruckPirateTruck Registered User regular
    For non-artist types, what's the best way to submit something without photo-shopping the new text in? Some MS Paint copy/paste work over the speech bubbles?

• OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular

PirateTruck, look up the program "Paint.net", it is is freeware and can handle making "layers" that allow you to set the image as the background, and then you can set up a transparent overlay to put the text on.

• Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    Aww... stupid UK residency :'(

• luposlupos Registered User regular
    @piratetruck ( and other non artsy folks) I whipped this up real quick http://codepen.io/lupos/full/GWWzXx/

Text boxes are editable. just click in them and type what you want. its not perfect and the font size may be a bit big for some of them. you can go to "change view" in the corner and switch to "Editor view" and tweak the css for individual text boxes to have bigger/smaller text or bold or whatever. I used vh (vertical height units ) so it scales nicely. you can make the window whatever size you want or zoom in and screen shot and should look decent.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]ALTEIL.com GM | XBL: lupos | My ALTEIL GM Blog
  • hajenhajen Registered User regular
    Comic wrote: »
    *Contest only open to US residents. Sorry!*
    oh noes! stupid Washington State residency*
    how 'bout mailing it to a relative in Idaho or Florida, if I win?
    :D

* yes, I am implying that Washington is not a part of the US; it's a member state of the "Left Coast Nation" and shall probably have seceded by the time a winner is selected.

• PirateTruckPirateTruck Registered User regular
    Thank you both for the help and suggestions!

• CalebCaleb Registered User regular
    Man that pose in the first panel! Top notch stuff.

For non-artist types, what's the best way to submit something without photo-shopping the new text in? Some MS Paint copy/paste work over the speech bubbles?

It's also totally cool to just send in a script. Something like:

PANEL 1
    Heya Malachi!

PANEL 2
    Hello Seventeen.

And so on.

(By the way. Any entries that plagiarize the awesome dialogue I used in this example will be immediately disqualified!)

• Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    Here's my entry, just for funzies, since... British.

P1: Hey Malachi!

P2: Quiet Seventeen, I'm thinking!

P3: What ya thinking about?

P4: Nothing...

P5: Hehehe, I do that all the time, it's fun!

P6: The yawning abyss of nothing that is our lives...

P7: Huh?

P8: The grinding realization that all we are is sacks of meat controlled by electrical impulses, that morality is a modern construct and that in the end, all our hopes and dreams are just that... Nothing.

Did I do it right?

AdamRW wrote: »
    briguy wrote: »

I cannot tell a lie... It was because of the crazy shipping costs. I'm sorry that we're so stingy!

We would absolutely let non-US people have a digital copy! Y'know, if they were into it.

I know. I measure costs in how many boxes of ramen it costs. Last time I shipped to the U.K. it was like 2 1/2 boxes! That's more than a month of food!

• generaputinholegeneraputinhole Registered User regular
    bonus points to anyone who submits their entry entirely in Klingon or Elvish.

• CardboardPizzasCardboardPizzas Registered User regular
    Stupid British citizenship... didn't even want to be in the stupid contest anyway.

• SargeSarge Registered User regular
    Nice contest but I already have a copy. And I'm in Canada. And I can't write fiction worth a dam. Other than that I am totally psyched about this contest! :D

• WenxioxWenxiox Registered User new member
    edited March 2017
    Ok, not being from the US, I just had to share my dialogue entry right here:

P1: Come Malachi, let's go look for sticks to fetch!

P2: Sorry, I can no longer be involved in anything that includes touching a stick.

P3: Why? What's wrong with sticks? We can play Boomerang if you want!

P4: Nope! I saw something today that changed me...

P5: Oh, you silly goose! I see things all the time! It's nothing bad.

P6: OK! I'll share it with you but you may never look at a stick the same way again...

P7: OK...?

P8: Today I followed Neiman... Did you know he likes spitting at sticks? Like, a lot! The things he did to those sticks were not pretty... I don't think there is a single stick in this entire forest that has been left un-spat on!

Wenxiox on
  • SIXytSIXyt Esq STLRegistered User regular
    Sarge wrote: »
    Nice contest but I already have a copy. And I'm in Canada. And I can't write fiction worth a dam. Other than that I am totally psyched about this contest! :D

The real prize is that sweet sweet co writer gig! Just think of all you could do while racking in those 10s of dollars. All you can eat pasta at Olive Garden is only 12 dollars, but maybe you have celiac disease to wit I say that deal is obliviously not for you. The point is that's the real prize, grueling deadline based daily humor that neatly needs to fit in less than ten panels.2xdo4d26lvj7.jpeg

• rlkingrlking Registered User new member
    16-Do you get discovery with those dishes you call ears
    M-Excuse me but my parents pay for me to have cable
    16-wait like you still watch TV
    M-my god
    16-yah Netflix bitch
    M-yeah but that cost money
    16-money?
    M-like stuff you get from working

• VowlVowl Registered User new member
    The bad news is that I live in Russia and can't participate in the contest. The good news is that I still would not be able to participate due to poor knowledge of English and inability to write stories. In any case, here's a little meta joke. https://yadi.sk/i/Q7sdz5YR3FcbcU Mad GIMP skills included.

@SIXyt 10s of dollars?!

...you must have a better agent than I do...

• SIXytSIXyt Esq STLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    AdamRW wrote: »
    @SIXyt 10s of dollars?!

...you must have a better agent than I do...

It's because I know people, close to the top people if ya know what I mean i.e. Someone who's initials are MK and JH...

I mean not Mike and Jerry of course

SIXyt on
    edited March 2017
    @Vowl ого, внезапненько. твой английский кстати далеко не так уж плох))

zethololo on
    I didn't realize how international the audience is!
    I guess childhood trauma is universal.

@briguy actually I never went to camp when I was a kid... but I was in the army, that's kind of the same thing, right? :D

I'll tell you, Russian summer camps are truly something special. my wife told me crazy stories.

@zethololo oh! You should get your wife to submit a campfire story to them. I bet it would be great.

• QuistieQuistie Registered User regular
    What a brilliant idea - from the UK so I can't enter but I am trying to think of a response anyway for fun! The camp versions of Katie and Adam are so cute, particularly deflated Adam at the end :-)

• TimAusTimAus Registered User regular
    Can you do a contest for the people from the other 194 countries in the world as well?

TimAus wrote: »
    Can you do a contest for the people from the other 194 countries in the world as well?

@AdamRW said he would be OK with rewarding a non-US winner with a digital copy of the book. Since he said he cannot tell a lie in that response, we must assume he isn't lying when said that. Unless this is like the two door, lying guard riddle.

But the digital copy is just like the book only digital! I've actually got like 2 digital copies myself (1 from Kickstarter and 1 from Patreon) and it has all of the exciting features of the book. Including the book only comics and sketches and other things. If only there was a way for it to give off that new book smell...

• xUsakoxUsako Registered User regular
    rlking wrote: »
    16-Do you get discovery with those dishes you call ears
    M-Excuse me but my parents pay for me to have cable
    16-wait like you still watch TV
    M-my god
    16-yah Netflix bitch
    M-yeah but that cost money
    16-money?
    M-like stuff you get from working

.............16?!?!?!?!
    how did you not catch this after writing it a second time? :D:D:D

• lokardolokardo Registered User regular
    17- HHHHiiiiYYYaaa Malachi!
    M- Call me Demon King Malachi...
    17 - Why would I ever want to do that?!
    M - Because I can see the damned.
    17 - Demon King Malachi it is.
    M - There's one behind you right now.
    17 - (meekly) What?
    M - He says to start eating your potatoes.

• hajenhajen Registered User regular
    already sent in my official entry (are we limited to only one?), so here's a fun one:

17: Malachi, did you hear that Katie and Adam are moving back to California?
    M: Pish! and Posh! and why are you breaking the fourth wall, Seventeen?
    17: I didn't break anything, I promise! and what do you mean?
    M: You're talking about Katie and Adam, our creators; we live in their minds... hmm, I guess it makes this conversation more meta than 4th wall actually.
    17: Oh, silly! We live at the camp, in cabin 5; I told you the number fell off before you got here, but the --
    M: Seventeen! We're not real. We're just foils they use to expose the problems in and of society.
    17: But Love Bug is real... and back at the cabin, which is real... and I'm real... and --
    M: Did you self-medicate with one of your special poll-tisses again?

• SeabSeab Registered User regular
    i'm not from the US :(

can i send you guys some edit of this just for fun?

• VowlVowl Registered User new member
    edited March 2017
    @zethololo мы живём в мире киберпанка, онлайн переводчики сильно пошатнули языковой барьер :). Жаль, онлайн сочинители историй пока не работают или не известны мне.

Vowl on