As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[No Man's Sky] this is now the old thread!

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I assume there are planets where your life support doesn't constantly drain?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I assume there are planets where your life support doesn't constantly drain?

Life support is for every planet, but planets with less hostile atmospheres will be less of a drain.

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    For anyone who has played both, how does the base building compare to Subnautica? I had a crazy fun time building my underwater complex in that game, and would consider going in on this one if it's on that level.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    A 2GB patch just started downloading on PS4. Version 1.22. Is this the vehicles anywhere patch already?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Ok, yup. You can build vehicle pads anywhere now!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    For anyone who has played both, how does the base building compare to Subnautica? I had a crazy fun time building my underwater complex in that game, and would consider going in on this one if it's on that level.
    I haven't played Subnautica but I've watched Markiplier play a whole bunch.

I think the base building in NMS is significantly more rudimentary: parts snap together, you have to find a preset starting location, there's no power involved.

I've had a good time with it but it's definitely less robust than most.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Jedi_Boi wrote: »
    Ug. I'm going to be pulled back into this game again. But Mass Effect.
    Well, it is more than just a coincidence this is called the 'Pathfinder' update, and one of the rovers looks very much like the Nomad, IMO...

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So I wouldn't usually have even been tempted by a risky planetfall, but it was beautiful. That means it was also infested with hostile sentinels... I had a full tank of plutonium. I could afford to check it out. The best option is always a landing pad, but I spotted a beacon which could direct me to an outpost. I'd be out of plutonium, but there'd be a trade terminal, at least, and a safe base.

The beacon showed me the way. On the ground it was raining, but not hazardous. Even the sentinels didn't seem too bad! It was late. I'd seen enough that day. I lazily cruised towards the landing pad, over what, from the air, was one of the most beautiful, Earth-like planets I'd ever seen. I was about a minute away when my hand slipped and, somehow above the one clear spot in a dense, craggy forest, the ship immediately came down again.

It didn't seem so bad, at first. I saw a great beast on a ridge, silhouetted in the misty rain. This was trouble, but it was worth it. Right?

Then the sentinels noticed me. Right about the same time the first of the storms hit, actually...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlHVfNmNce4
    abHatKD.jpg

It was worth it.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    This "vehicles anywhere" thing is probably real bad news for the wildlife of the galaxy. Because I'm not not going to take my hovercraft off some sweet mountain jumps for sick airtime! You have no control over the vehicle in the air though, which has led to some... casualties...

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    I haven't played Subnautica but I've watched Markiplier play a whole bunch.

I think the base building in NMS is significantly more rudimentary: parts snap together, you have to find a preset starting location, there's no power involved.

I've had a good time with it but it's definitely less robust than most.

Gotcha, thank you. I won't be buying it any time soon regardless - way too much amazing gaming on my plate as it is - but will keep my eye out on it. Exploring a bunch of proc gen planets doesn't appeal to me much, but playing house in space is right in my wheelhouse, so fingers crossed they keep improving on that aspect a bit.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    @bsjezz that's a magnificent shot, deserving of an appearance in Space National Geographic.

Also, Hot Combat Tip: do the Sentinel Jig. If you mash left and right you can usually dodge most or all of a single Sentinel's shots. Because each one is (roughly?) aimed at your current position + movement vector, if you're constantly changing direction you can game the tracking system.

Serpentine!

Thanks to pressing R2 instead of L2 while renaming a star system, I'm currently exploring The.

"Set a course for The System!"

Abbott & Costello in Spaaaaaaaace

Well now I'm going to be naming systems Next, Previous and Other

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Well now I'm going to be naming systems Next, Previous and Other

Dammit now I want to name some Mofar, Monday, and Moinbetween

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Photo mode is way cooler than I was expecting. My only regret is that all of these beautiful planets have aggressive sentinels:
    ?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside

CBF940746BE4CBB3318E0898176228FE36373BDB

530BB7F8F8E26936F202CBFD386D66BC6B03539B
    I also found this giant guy with an anvil head:
    30555616F9F3DB308AD89D171EB67B8D93A98425

edited March 2017
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Photo mode is way cooler than I was expecting. My only regret is that all of these beautiful planets have aggressive sentinels:

Yeah. I searched high and low for a verdant planet with relaxed sentinels in survival mode, but my early evidence suggests they're hard-coded to not exist. I understand why from a difficulty mode standpoint, but man, it'd be nice to just have a glimmer of hope that they're out there - however rare.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    edited March 2017
    bsjezz wrote: »

Yeah. I searched high and low for a verdant planet with relaxed sentinels in survival mode, but my early evidence suggests they're hard-coded to not exist. I understand why from a difficulty mode standpoint, but man, it'd be nice to just have a glimmer of hope that they're out there - however rare.

Thaaaat's kind of unfortunate. I really like survival but don't exactly want the worlds to be coded against me -- losing out on a pretty planet would be lame. Guess I've gotta explore more and see.

Fiatil on
    edited March 2017
    Wow, I just found a herd of Gyarados:
    6BED473C81CEC7ACDCA3CD3141E929352E85ACBC

Fiatil on
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

I have found a beautiful green planet with only slime-like aliens and no sentinels (in normal mode), but it's also a virtually useless planet with no helpful resources or buildings of any kind, from what I can remember.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    Kalnaur wrote: »

I have found a beautiful green planet with only slime-like aliens and no sentinels (in normal mode), but it's also a virtually useless planet with no helpful resources or buildings of any kind, from what I can remember.

Normal mode's different - hostile sentinels seem to be coded to coincide with highly valuable resources instead. Which makes more sense, unless in the game's lore the sentinels suddenly developed an aesthetic sensibility...

sC4Q4nq.jpg
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Normal mode's different - hostile sentinels seem to be coded to coincide with highly valuable resources instead. Which makes more sense, unless in the game's lore the sentinels suddenly developed an aesthetic sensibility...

Yeah, it makes more sense to me to have the Sentinels coded for rare/valuable resources. I was wondering if survival mode was different.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I know that relaxed sentinel/nice planets exists on normal mode.

My home world is a green (and purple) lush world with abundant flora, lovely weather, mostly peaceful animals, and super relaxed sentinels. The only hazards are the occasional rainstorm that makes things slightly chilly (just one down arrow of cold, less than most ice planets), a large aggressive whale like creature that is rare in the water, and some vicious little ewok motherfuckers.

It doesn't have many resources, just Nickel, Heridium, and Viridium, but it's also covered in Albumen Pearls. I was surprised the planet didn't have hostile sentinels due to the pearls, but they are completely non-hostile (unless you harvest one). It did take me a few days to the planet when I made it my goal to find just such a planet, but I did find it.

I read somewhere that there's a theory that the 'nicer' planets are either closer to the center, or on higher tier stars. My planet is in a green star system, which requires two hyperdrive upgrades to get to. So if all the systems you are searching for nice worlds are just plain yellow stars, that may be why you aren't finding them.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Have not played since launch... would start fresh.... question being- how does this run on pc these days? any improvements?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    Interestingly, it looks like the different modes share the same "map" but generate the planets differently; a lush planet on normal is a desert in survival, for example.

And yeah, the "niceness" of a planet definitely was tied to the star, while the original plan had variability increasing as you got closer to the center (allowing for wackier landscapes etc.). I dunno how much of the latter was implemented.

I haven't found any examples of a nice planet in survival mode after a few minutes on google, but they may just be rare.

Kinda sucks in creative mode that you still have to find blueprints for theta warp drives and whatnot. Fortunately, you can build infinite beacons to lead you to manufacturing plants.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Blue spectral systems have a higher chance of cold biomes and ocean planets.
    Reds have a higher chance of desert, hot and sometimes radioactive biomes.
    Greens have a higher chance of toxic, radioactive and sometimes desert biomes. They previously had more lush biomes, but I am not sure if this is still the case.
    Yellows are quite variable in what they have, but tend to have more dead planets.

Obviously, when you're scanning planets, if it comes with a biome-specific resource, it will have at least a minor occurance of that biome's hazard (e.g. Coryzagen detected means a planet will at least have ◄ snow environmental hazard during day (it may also have snowstorms, extreme night temperatures, and extreme water temperatures, all of which can be ◄◄◄)).

If no biome-specific resources are scanned, it can be either dead, lush, enhanced security, or (more often on Survival) extreme rainfall (◄◄◄).

Extremely rare resources showing up on scan aren't something I've been able to find a pattern for.

Low security lush planets do exist on Survival, but are rarer.

Finally, a small tip for Survival: you can make big jumps in ship capacity using distress beacons. It's now quite common to find crashed ships with high capacity but also huge number of broken slots (that require ~200k to fix). However, even if they only have say 4 useable slots and 18 broken, the game still increases the ship's value relative to the potential slots of the ship, rather than its current slots (though not to the full amount). So you can change to a ship with a lot of broken slots and then take it to either a trading post or space station. When you're offering to buy other ships, because your ship's artificially increased 'potential' value is higher than it would be if it only counted active slots, and because ship value is now deducted from offer cost, you can make big capacity jumps by trading broken-slot ships for ones with fewer but working slots.

So yes, in this game you can become a used-ship salesperson who dupes alien species into trading their perfectly good ships in for 'fixer-upper' lemons.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Wow, I just found a herd of Gyarados:
    6BED473C81CEC7ACDCA3CD3141E929352E85ACBC

Jesus Christ that thing is ugly. I hope you killed several of them.

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    I was telling @Fiatil that was basically the only flying creatures I encountered at release, other than the 'regular' birds. I saw variations of those things on dozens of planets. I wasn't aware that there were different flying creatures and was disappointed that the flying snakes were the only 'different' flying creature.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Interestingly, it looks like the different modes share the same "map" but generate the planets differently; a lush planet on normal is a desert in survival, for example.

And yeah, the "niceness" of a planet definitely was tied to the star, while the original plan had variability increasing as you got closer to the center (allowing for wackier landscapes etc.). I dunno how much of the latter was implemented.

I haven't found any examples of a nice planet in survival mode after a few minutes on google, but they may just be rare.

Well damn, thanks for confirming that at least. I think that may be enough for me to hop back to standard mode -- with all of the building and the new ship classes it seems like it will be different enough to still enjoy and get a nice power curve.

I can confirm there are nice planets in survival, but having them be much more rare or tied to sentinel activity is pretty lame with base building being a thing. I'm going to futilely email Hello Games to request a mode like what I dream of, as modding this game seems to break it really hard after every major patch, and I'm not awesome enough to sit down and learn where the values I want to tweak are. I took a crack at the modding tools and failed pretty hard.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Obviously, when you're scanning planets, if it comes with a biome-specific resource, it will have at least a minor occurance of that biome's hazard (e.g. Coryzagen detected means a planet will at least have ◄ snow environmental hazard during day (it may also have snowstorms, extreme night temperatures, and extreme water temperatures, all of which can be ◄◄◄)).

Whenever I see biome-specific resources, my brain immediately categorizes the planet accordingly.

Coryzagen: Frozen Wasteland.
    Candensium: Radioactive Shithole.
    Temerium: Toxic Cesspit.
    Fervidium: Actual Hell.
    Spadonium: Not So Bad Comparatively.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    Isn't Spadonium on Desert planets? Those are indeed comparatively lax environmentally speaking.

I just wish I had more room in my suit to constantly have all the environment shields . . .

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    As someone with all 3 of each installed, I don't think it's worth it (there's a tangent about Hello separating upgrades from inventory). It seems like it'd be better to just install the Theta upgrade of each type, and then top it up with Shielding Shards any time it runs out.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    Well I at least got a quick silver lining to abandoning survival mode for less sentinel-ey pastures. The planet I started on is some kind of beautiful Willy Wonka irradiated drug trip wonderland:

6BF922C7B46ECB2C0F49CBFF05896EDC0D656657

D4AA0C39FD8038BC5D923BAE072E41209EE557F3

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I found a nice, temperate, red-forested, blue grasslands tropical world that seems entirely inhabited by herbivores.
    Vvnmjgm.jpg

Keep getting the rover stuck in pits because of the camera, but otherwise, I'm having significantly more fun/relaxation with how it is now; versus the state of the game at launch.

Zilla360 on
    Ah man, the limit of vehicle pads per planet is only 5...

Also, this sparsely populated planet is giving me fits! I've got 6/7 species scanned... can't find that last dang species :x

I know I should just move on to another planet, but it would bother me to know I didn't get em all.

I purposefully didn't even scan one of the planets in my first system, so that I wouldn't get hung up on getting 100% completion at all times.

I'm a tourist, passing through, made of borrowed baryonic matter, and living on borrowed time. Not enough time before heat death to scan everything.

I, and the good capital ship, the Tempest, on our voyages, will marvel at the distant sunsets, take in that feeling, whilst listening to the voice of a man long dead. Carl Sagan.

On one moon, I left a message, buried deep:
    I will burn and rave at close of days. Rage, rage, against the cage, against the dying of the light.

Meanwhile, I will fully scan as many planets as I can. I'm an explorer, a chronicler, the one who comes before and charts, names, and designates even a small amount of what he has seen. I hope in vain hope that such information helps others who travel in the same path as me, across this vast expanse of endless digital starlight.