As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Old One Eye's done. On to the rest of the diorama. Lots of blue airbrushing to be done tomorrow.6smodyupf86i.jpg

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I did a thing.

URlrnqgm.jpgyLcOOwzm.jpg

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Keen, how do you get those edge highlights to be so fine? And straight, and clean?

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    TacoForceTacoForce Registered User regular
    I did a thing.
    URlrnqgm.jpgyLcOOwzm.jpg

lvuri02o816i.jpeg

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I don't have pictures of the thing I worked on this weekend, but that's because that thing is 30+ skeletons.

I am tired of working on skeletons.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I don't have pictures of the thing I worked on this weekend, but that's because that thing is 30+ skeletons.

I am tired of working on skeletons.

I feel you. It reminds me of the time I had to paint 1000 uruk-hai. Even just using three colors and an ink that was... that was just something. That was a month of my life I'll never have back...

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Also yesterday I assembled and (half-assed) painted this:

Bic7J9yl.jpg

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I have a mini whose base I want to be pristine beach sand. I already glued a lot of fine-grained sand to the base. Any suggestions on how to paint it?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I have a mini whose base I want to be pristine beach sand. I already glued a lot of fine-grained sand to the base. Any suggestions on how to paint it?

Define "pristine."

lz4zqe1pl0of.jpg
    ccijjcwbchz9.jpg
    pxldp7ewxlto.jpg

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    C6qCzYZV0AA49QD.jpg

Not done much painting recently but here's something from a few days ago

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    white basecoat and light brown wash?

or a light yellowish brown basecoat with an even lighter drybrushed colour (basecoat mixed with white for example)?

honovere on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Define "pristine."

Like the first or last.
    honovere wrote: »
    white basecoat and light brown wash?

or a light yellowish brown basecoat with an even lighter drybrushed colour (basecoat mixed with white for example)?

My original thought was ulthuan grey (much easier to paint than a true white) with army painter soft tone (sepia).

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    GW Zandri Dust (which will be even easier to paint then Ulthuan Grey) then drybrush GW Tyrant Skull. GW also makes 2 texture paints that are that same base color if you're like me and loathe gluing and painting sand.

• Options
    Ultramarines hoooop6p88dtyuibz.jpg

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Fix those seam lines! D:

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Oh goddamnit, the arm.

I'll figure something out.

EDIT and the launchers

Kneel on
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Fixed with PVA.

Panic avoided.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Your gradients are too nice. Stop making me feel bad.

Otherwise, I took some pictures. They're decent, but the trick is Gundams are big and my backdrop is small, so I can only do so much here. :P
    Ef30xwN.jpg
    0UWkWjB.jpg
    zFJzTTw.jpg
    dTPfGel.jpg
    PVgjZrd.jpg
    hGZr6Lh.jpg

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Ugh that Gundam is so nice. Wish I had the skill for that.

• Options
    Ugh that Gundam is so nice. Wish I had the skill for that.
    There is great potential in us all. How will you know you do not until you have tried? <3
    (Seriously, I got mostly lucky in just how well the colours I picked worked out. Everything else about this is sanding things that need sanding, and be patient building it and letting things dry properly. If you can use an airbrush, you can do this.)

• Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    has anyone here used heroforge and can tell me if the quality is any good?

pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    Yay gunpla! It looks amazing

My Nu is still in the box!

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    i'm not a gundam man (gunman?) but that is sexy

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    When I picked up the AoS starter, I also got the matching starter paint set. I have to admit I was disappointed. The paints are in smaller cups than in the past, and a majority of them were clumped up or dried out. The games-workshop manager where I got it replaced the dried ones and mixed extra paint and water into the chunky ones (as he kept opening new boxes with the same issues and no proper replacements).

It reminded me that citedal paints always tended to dry up quickly. I've gotten used to using reaper paints for bones minis - I like their range and price, and they don't tend to dry or need much water. Would they work well with warhammer minis, primer, and topcoat?

I may pick up some Vallejo paints if people can recommend them, though I've never used them. I'll stick to citadel washes though. As a novice, my main goal in painting minis is getting to the agrax earthshade stage. Always agrax. It'll all be okay after that.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    How'd you do the panel lining on that robutt? Did you use a marker?

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    How'd you do the panel lining on that robutt? Did you use a marker?

@Dr_Keenbean shared these a fair while ago and I picked some up shortly thereafter.
    If you're on a budget, try looking up "sludge wash" or similar on youtube for some tutorials on making similar products. I don't think it's an ideal product for Gunpla because of the shit-loads of depth they tend to have and how you remove it, but the effect is definitely still good.

• Options
    @J howbowdah?

8u1v9p20jmuz.jpg

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    That there dunnit.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Is that all glazing/blending on your dread?

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    Is that all glazing/blending on your dread?

Not this time. It's masked airbrushing, a slight all-over glaze of blue, then edging, distressed transfers and sponged-on brown that's then highlighted.

I'll probably do oil weathering too.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Posting in the correct thread.

I'm still slowly working on my army commander. Any suggestions on how to paint his holster?

20170314_022126_zpswzcmbmq5.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Looks like he could use some warm accents, the holster seems as good a place for that as any - gold and red?
    On the other hand Valhallans seem like a likely subject for a non-contrasting cold scheme, so more blue and silver will give you that.

Certainly nothing green or purple...
    Oh shit, Dayspring's coming, gotta hide!

• Options
    @Mayday's suggestion is spot on. Doombull brown (or VMC cavalry brown) is a nice, muted, dark red-brown that would look great on the holster then just pick the trim and the lions out in gold.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Thank you both. I was thinking about a worn leather look. That sounds perfect.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    When I picked up the AoS starter, I also got the matching starter paint set. I have to admit I was disappointed. The paints are in smaller cups than in the past, and a majority of them were clumped up or dried out. The games-workshop manager where I got it replaced the dried ones and mixed extra paint and water into the chunky ones (as he kept opening new boxes with the same issues and no proper replacements).

It reminded me that citedal paints always tended to dry up quickly. I've gotten used to using reaper paints for bones minis - I like their range and price, and they don't tend to dry or need much water. Would they work well with warhammer minis, primer, and topcoat?

I may pick up some Vallejo paints if people can recommend them, though I've never used them. I'll stick to citadel washes though. As a novice, my main goal in painting minis is getting to the agrax earthshade stage. Always agrax. It'll all be okay after that.

I use reaper paints and I feel like my results are chalky, but I think thats just technique issue/not thining enough. I generally like their line of paints as well, I actually cherry pick which shades I like from different brands, and just have to remember how to get them all to match consistency as I use them. Don't limit yourself to one paint series if it doesnt do what you want.

The only actual issue with reaper paints is the tips getting clogged, but a wire to poke and clear it fixes it right up. I prefer dropper bottles because I feel like I have a lot more control on how I am mixing/portioning my paint.

I like warpainter metalics. Their bronze is so good that I basically started a ton of models for my pestilens army over so I could use it over silver. Their soft/medium tones are great washes too.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    What is "masked airbrushing"? It's so smooth. I want to eat it like a cake.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    What is "masked airbrushing"? It's so smooth. I want to eat it like a cake.

Masking parts of the model so you can spray gradients on individual armour plates.

• Options
    Much betterer @Kneel

I got a shot of a diffirent lens, trying to work out how to do the staff. Not sure if same as the other metals, or a deeper gold

WxqcIdY.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Dread done! This diorama is on the final lap!

zoadme3dcwhg.jpg

Kneel on
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular

I use reaper paints and I feel like my results are chalky, but I think thats just technique issue/not thining enough. I generally like their line of paints as well, I actually cherry pick which shades I like from different brands, and just have to remember how to get them all to match consistency as I use them. Don't limit yourself to one paint series if it doesnt do what you want.

The only actual issue with reaper paints is the tips getting clogged, but a wire to poke and clear it fixes it right up. I prefer dropper bottles because I feel like I have a lot more control on how I am mixing/portioning my paint.

I like warpainter metalics. Their bronze is so good that I basically started a ton of models for my pestilens army over so I could use it over silver. Their soft/medium tones are great washes too.

Interesting, I've found I rarely have to thin my reaper paints, as they end almost like a wash when I add water. It my be environmental or due to the minis - I first used them with bones minis.

Any recommended sealer/topcoat? I'm hesitant of sprays like the citadel purity seal due to reports of fogging and white splotches.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
This discussion has been closed.