As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Shadow of Mordor: Like Hatoful Boyfriend, but with Orcs. Bright Lord DLC out now!

1424344454648»

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Weren't Orcs originally Elves?

Like, didn't Melkor nab a whole bunch of them at some point early on in history and corrupt them?

Or is my brain just making that up

That's one version
    Tolkien himself never even settled on one

It's the version most popularized, though, because in LotR Treebeard mentions that orcs were made in "mockery of elves." Which could mean orcs were made from elf stock or just made from something else in imitation of elves. It's a vague statement.

Yeah I bet it's the ears.

Melkor was all "oh man, this'll piss them right off"

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Told the girlfriend she should try Mordor. So this morning she boots it up and gets to where it first let's you roam the world. You know, like eight minutes in. She getting a hang of the controls and picks a fight with some orcs.

Three of them are captains. She dies relatively quickly. So she respawns and tries to find some easier prey. Gets surprised by a captain. During the fight two more walk up. She finally kills the first one and runs the fuck away from the other two. I dunno if she'll stick with it but those two immediate engagements were worth it.

Having to run the fuck away from some fights is part of the charm of SOM. Also makes it more satisfying when towards the end of the game you are a god and can seek vengeance

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Just started SOM and damn is it a fun game. I played just a bit when it came out on a friends XBOX. God does it control great on a PC though, especially a modern one. Pegged at 60fps @1080p. I'm able to handle pretty large groups. I can't wait to get more upgrades though.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I finally started playing this on PC

had a weird graphics issue (maybe??) with the lighting during a thunderstorm, every time lightning struck the area was lit up with rainbow coloring.

• FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I finally started playing this on PC

had a weird graphics issue (maybe??) with the lighting during a thunderstorm, every time lightning struck the area was lit up with rainbow coloring.

Sauron needs to stop experimenting with Mordor's weather.

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    I have been getting text messages at work updating me on her game. She falls silent for a while. Turns out she was in an hour and a half hit and run campaign against three captains.

• Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    When will I finally be able to eat a hobbit?

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I'm really spoiled for choice with all these damn orc captains.

Is it better to do some of the story stuff so I can get some more abilities before going full on orc huntin', or should I kill some orcs now and level up that way?

edited March 2017
    A lot of the games best powers are locked behind story stuff. It's up to you but I'd recommend keeping a balance between story progression and "grinding"

Prohass on
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    Shut up everyone and just give me that sweet sweet hobbit meat.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Shut up everyone and just give me that sweet sweet hobbit meat.

Short long pig

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Fuck, with Shadow of War coming out this summer, I want to go out and get a copy of Shadow of Mordor to play again. Something almost zen about tracking across the land, finding some Captain, and ruining his day. Especially if he tagged me a half hour or so prior. Damn shame about the last hour or so of the game.

Also, I miss Ratbag. He was a weasel and a sniveling sneak, but he had more character than a lot of sidekicks in recent memory, and the sinful little bastard grew on me over time.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Decided to replay the campaign in this, gives me something to keep me occupied until Mass Effect comes out. Not sure if I'm moving quickly or if it's just shorter than I remembered, but after a couple nights I've already finished the first area (story wise, not completionist wise).

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    The story is short, and only feels longer the first time because you probably spent a lot more time with thinning out the Army. Since that can he done any where at any time and even by total surprise, it kind of blues in to the story quests

I finally managed to kill a couple orc captains last night

But I also got killed by an Orc named Barfa, so I'm sorta breaking even here

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'd actually advise going straight for the story so you don't get overpowered.

At the moment I'm mostly doing story quests and occasionally doing side stuff. I met Gollum, which definitely feels kind of forced, but also whatever.

• Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    What got me was that you can install your bros as fortress-kings and they trick it out differently depending on their personalities. And you can upgrade those fortresses, and it sounds like there'll be siege defense battles and upgrading your craptastic starting orcs into uruk-hai-esque badasses, and and...

if they can actually pull all of this off it'll be something people still play twenty years from now

Man, Mordor is pretty fun

I did a Confrontation mission with an orc last night. He was a... Defender? So regular full-on attacks didn't work on him, plus two other orc captains showed up with him. So I had this trio of orc dickheads chasing after me along with a handful of mooks. Ended up losing them well enough to stealth attack the defender captain, killing him, then running to some wild caragors that were sitting around. One of the remaining captains was afraid of them so he ran away, and the other got enraged by them. As I chased after the one who ran away, almost immediately after killing him, the other captain was killed by caragors.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    the story is the worst part of the game. go kill orcs then maybe do some story once in a while

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Counterpoint: It can be better to rush the story because it's more fun when it's challenging and it's super easy to become overpowered

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Counterpoint: It can be better to rush the story because it's more fun when it's challenging and it's super easy to become overpowered

I dunno, there is a certain enjoyment in being an Orc slaughtering machine.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I also started playing this for the first time recently.

Personally I felt pretty ridiculously overpowered from the word go, so, throwing more and more power on top of myself hasn't changed much. It's pretty fun but silly being essentially death incarnate with a sword, and absolute shadow stealth master with a dagger, and a machinegun headshot machine with a bow.

I've mostly been following the main quest line and when it takes me to a new area I knock out the stuff in that area.

The moment to moment gameplay feels pretty solid but the story feels kinda undercooked and the presentation of it feels really disjointed.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I played this for like six hours straight when it first came out and then basically forgot about it

but a few days ago I was like "oh yeah" and I've been chipping away at it when I don't feel like playing Zelda or overwatch

not sure if I'll ever finish it but it's a fun game and I'm glad it's getting a sequel

overpowered for what? there aren't really any big story fights except the last one which you don't even need to do anything in to win. story is also how you get branding

edited March 2017
    yeah the story is serviceable but its very clear they were rushed when making it. Has some great armour designs for the bosses though.

This game is very strange in terms of how people experience the difficulty, ive heard a lot of people say its way too hard and a lot say its way too easy, and talking about different points in the game too.

For me there is enough variety that I always felt interested in combat, no matter how difficult or easy it was

Prohass on
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Very tempted to reinstall this and just skip all cut scenes and just have fun murdering orcs. Get me in the mood for Shadow war.

I'm bad enough at most videogames that I really don't mind when a game lets me get ludicrously overpowered

unlocking warchiefs is the most important story thing to do because warchief battles own

actually I'm going to go fight some warchiefs right now

thrak thrak thrak

• FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Man, it is absolutely impossible to find a good non-movie wallpaper of Minas Morgul. There's so little art of that place.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Pinterest is often better for those kinds of image searches than Google, which is going to give you tons of the most popular stuff.

a6a0ccf2b690a524c7458a7ad77f993e.jpg

Pinterest is often better for those kinds of image searches than Google, which is going to give you tons of the most popular stuff.

a6a0ccf2b690a524c7458a7ad77f993e.jpg

I've had trouble finding much even there. Nobody seems to capture how disturbingly verdant the Morgul vale is in Tolkien's descriptions. The fields of corpse-flowers, the great ranks of dark pines, the ominous vapors of the river, the almost Lovecraftian carvings of the bridge. Almost everything you see if a copy of Howe's design for the movie, with the rusty bits of iron clamped onto the battlements of a pale Minas Tirith imitation in a desolate, rocky valley.

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    So with Horizon and Mass Effect pulling at me to play them, I did the only logical thing and decided to play neither, and instead finish this game.

Turns out when I had last left it over a year ago I was right on the cusp of getting the Brand power and I only had a few weapon challenge missions left.

So, now that I've finished all the weapon stuff, and unlocked almost all the skills, the save slot thing reads something like 78% complete.

I have the DLC that came with the Season pass, so that's Bright Lord and the Hunting one?

Should I finish the main story, then do the DLC, or should I do the DLC, then finish the story?

The DLC are kind of their own things so you can do them after finishing the game no problem.