As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fitness and Weight Management

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    The past tow days has shown me how much my appetite for greasy or sweet food has diminished since I've improved my eating habits.

We've been entertaining guests all weekend and we feel so horrible after all the food we've had.

Hopefully we can have a few good days at the gym and eating less before my wife's surgery.

I have a sweet tooth and can never truly get rid of those cravings.

For three month's I've been really good, but on Monday I just had to have a donut, and I wanted more than one, so I bought a dozen donuts and brought them in to work where I had 3 donuts total and shared my misery/donuts with my co-workers.

Woke up the next day and saw that I had still lost weight, so I cheered and started the day new and back on track.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I took like 3 months off from the gym.

First, the holiday were busy as shit. Just started seeing a new lady, plus usual holiday stuff. Then at the end of December I got notice they weren't renewing my apartment lease. So, January and February were spent looking for apartments and packing.

Saturday was my first day back. Leg day! My legs are still sore!

Today was chest. Hoooboy my chest dips suck.

Glad to be back at it though.

• Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    pots+pans wrote: »
    Has anyone got any tips on how to exercise without moving one arm? I fractured my elbow pretty badly last month. Before that, all I did was run a few times a week & lift some of my housemate’s weights. Unfortunately, running's not possible currently (moving my arm hurts too much) and I can’t even lift a cup at the moment, let alone anything heavier!

I’d like to do something though - 6 weeks of doing nothing has me feeling a little glum. All I can think of is maybe buying a cheap exercise bike? I have another physiotherapy appointment tomorrow so I’m going to ask them for some suggestions but if anyone here has any ideas I’d love to hear them!

Assuming you don't have access to a gym, if it were me, it'd be six weeks of bodyweight squats, split squats and lunges, a lot of walking and stretching. You could probably chuck a few bricks in a backpack and make it a bit harder.

Or, you know, Netflix and lasagne for six weeks. How great would that be.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Had my first leg day just now

went pretty well

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Have you met my friend DOMS? He's here to make sure you don't walk cool anymore.

• Options
    All these DOMS are going to make me strong

• Options
    STRONK.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Rode 100km and then ate a pizza

Good Sunday

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Bought and extra large belt because large felt too small.

However I'm now having to put an extra hole in the belt because extra large is too big!

Worse problems to have i guess.

Hoping that by the end of April I'll be able to comfortably fit in the next size down jeans. Which means I'll be the average Jean size for the UK. Not worn that size comfortably for years.

Problem i have with comparing myself to now and six years ago when i was really skinny is that my body shape has changed. I'm much broader now but when i look in the mirror I'm still looking for the skinny beanpole i was six years ago and I'll never be happy if i keep comparing myself to a time when i was under weight.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Man, nothing like seeing pictures of yourself to realize what those extra 20 lbs look like. Back on the wagon it is its for me! The annoying thing is that it's not the first time. I lost tons of weight and went from 270 to 185. Then every so often I'll decide that I really need to lose some more and get down to 160ish, but end up gaining back to 185.

The problem is that I had gotten too comfortable and those lbs slowly sneaked back in. I have absolutely zero problem remaining active and working out, but its my nutrition that's killing me. I don't watch what I eat nearly enough and I'm way too lazy when it comes to cooking at home.

Logged back into my fitness pal, since counting calories always helps, and hoping that I can finally nail this aspect down.

• Options
    hey so i'm looking at my diet stuff, and i'm not eating a lot of protein (i do eat meat, just not super regularly, i guess. Normally not necessarily every day). My breakfasts are normally one fried egg on two pieces of toast, but that's only a bit, i guess. I've been looking up a few of those "protein ball" recipies, where you blend up dates and nuts and seeds etc, but for the most part they don't seem to contain much by the end of it.

Are there many good ways to get protein that aren't:
    - eat a steak every meal
    - buy protein powder
    - so full of kilojoules/calories that you end up not eating much for the rest of the day?

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Chicken is the big one. One chicken breast a day of about 300 cal gets me more than half my protein intake.

Greek yogurt. My favorite is Dannon Light and Fit. 80 cal, 12 p, 8-9 carb

Kashi Go Lean cereal. I eat it dry, essentially a cup of crackers. 180 cal, 12 protein, lots of fiber for satiety. Cinnamon variety has slightly less of both, but good for variety.

If you need a treat, go for Halo Top, Enlightened ice cream, or a Quest bar. Or more yogurt

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Is there a particular issue you have with protein powder? It really is great for getting your macros where you want them. Cost effective too

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Is there a particular issue you have with protein powder? It really is great for getting your macros where you want them. Cost effective too

i haven't quite committed to that life yet and i fear the shame and ridicule that will come from my housemates

also, those goddamn plastic tubs of them are huge and i don't have anywhere to put them in our kitchen

mostly i'm just looking at other options yet before i go down that route

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    hey so i'm looking at my diet stuff, and i'm not eating a lot of protein (i do eat meat, just not super regularly, i guess. Normally not necessarily every day). My breakfasts are normally one fried egg on two pieces of toast, but that's only a bit, i guess. I've been looking up a few of those "protein ball" recipies, where you blend up dates and nuts and seeds etc, but for the most part they don't seem to contain much by the end of it.

- eat a steak every meal
    - buy protein powder
    - so full of kilojoules/calories that you end up not eating much for the rest of the day?

Seasoned grilled chicken thighs.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

- eat a steak every meal
    - buy protein powder
    • Chicken breast (no skin)
    • Lean seafood (cod, shrimp, scallops are my faves)
    • Canned tuna
    • Egg whites
    • Quest bars seem to be some of the best in regards to protein amounts for the lowest number of calories and sugar...but they taste like death to me
    • Greek yogurt (lowest sugar versions you can find...I like Siggi's....Oikos makes a "Triple Zero" branded yogurt, which tastes fine but has a very strong artificial sugar aftertaste. Might not bother you as much)
    • Swiss cheese is one of the best cheeses for protein. If you get Jarlsberg Lite, it's got one of the best protein grams to calories percentage that I've found.
    • Cottage cheese
    • Tofu
    • Jerky (check to make sure it's not over-sugared)

You can also try to get your protein in by selecting high-protein choices for your carbs/fats....like nuts (fats + protein), and beans/lentils/quinoa (carbs + protein). I also like to add in ground turkey breast into my pasta sauces, and use Barilla pasta that comes in the yellow box.

You can get small containers of protein powder. I've got a tiny container of unflavored soy protein powder that I use when I don't want to add chocolate malt flavor to something (which is the other protein powder I have, in whey).

NightDragon on
  • Options
    If you're going to get protein from eggs, go whole hog and just eat the whole thing. The cholesterol paranoia about whole eggs is, in general, bunk unless you already have a high risk factor. And you can use those calories for building muscle.

• Options
    i enjoy eggs

i normally have at least one every morning

i do one day want to try making an egg white omlette myself just to see what the fuss is about, but for the most part they are good

I learned how to make Onsen eggs which are cooked for about 15 minutes at 70 degrees which does all kinds of great stuff to the insides and they go fantastically with noodles

• Options
    If you're going to get protein from eggs, go whole hog and just eat the whole thing. The cholesterol paranoia about whole eggs is, in general, bunk unless you already have a high risk factor. And you can use those calories for building muscle.

The cholesterol paranoia is deffo false, but I mentioned the "egg whites only" because they're a better source of "protein without the calories", which seemed to be the question raised. I personally only eat eggs with the yolks because the yolks are the best parts and I'm also not sure I could stomach just egg white.

That being said though, adding in the yolk is where you get a lot of fat, and therefore calories. Egg whites have a higher protein-to-calorie ratio than the yolk.

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Quest bars seem to be some of the best in regards to protein amounts for the lowest number of calories and sugar...but they taste like death to me

I imagine they're an acquired taste, but I actually find them too tasty, it's too easy to lose control-- it's more cost effective to buy a box of twelve, but I have to buy them individually or I'll eat half the box in a day.

You can also try to get your protein in by selecting high-protein choices for your carbs/fats....like nuts (fats + protein),

Nuts are great, but be careful-- very calorie-dense, so easy to overdo it. Before I started counting calories, I would eat a jar of peanuts over the course of a few days, now I realize that's kind of insane (I realize peanuts are actually legumes, and real nuts are a better alternative, but shush). Either be sure to measure accurately, or spring for the individual packages (you'll find boxes of 10 100-calorie or 170-calorie packs, depending on the nut). More expensive, but worth it if you have trouble controlling your appetite.

Speaking of fat + protein, big fan of string cheese-- each one is only 80 cal

Jimothy on
  • Options

The cholesterol paranoia is deffo false, but I mentioned the "egg whites only" because they're a better source of "protein without the calories", which seemed to be the question raised. I personally only eat eggs with the yolks because the yolks are the best parts and I'm also not sure I could stomach just egg white.

That being said though, adding in the yolk is where you get a lot of fat, and therefore calories. Egg whites have a higher protein-to-calorie ratio than the yolk.

cheers, that's also good to know

and yeah, i was looking at the protein without calories to find things that i can generally eat in addition to what I normally eat on days where i'm not eating meat for lunch or dinner

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

i haven't quite committed to that life yet and i fear the shame and ridicule that will come from my housemates

also, those goddamn plastic tubs of them are huge and i don't have anywhere to put them in our kitchen

One thing I noticed when starting on protein powder, and the reason I stopped with it, is that if you are not using that protein, your body will pass it, and it becomes some extremely large and extremely solid turds.

It's a bad time.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I have never heard of that ever.

• Options
    BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I did notice some initial constipation after upping my protein intake a lot, and I never messed with protein powders at all.

At first I started taking a fiber supplement (benefiber) and it helped somewhat. But including more fruits and veggies in my diet helped a lot more, so I dropped the Benefiber.

Boozer on
    Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • Options
    Whey protein, at least the quality I got, does horrible things to my stomach, and I can handle dairy like a champ. Cramps, bloating, etc. I dropped it totally, now I use organic protein powder and it works great, and still tastes good in shakes.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    In the little time I tried supplementing with some cheap ass cvs whey protein....I...well I thought I was going to tear my asshole apart. I was legit afraid while on that oilet. But then again, while I can seemingly do regular milk fine, if I eat just a little bit too much rich ice cream I'm in for rather the opposite problem, so I think my body has some funk going on with dairy products.

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    I'm lactose intolerant so I usually take a synthetic protein with almond milk, mixed with some berries and a bit of oatmeal. On low carb days, I'll take a spoonfull of Benefiber with a drink.

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    [*] Quest bars seem to be some of the best in regards to protein amounts for the lowest number of calories and sugar...but they taste like death to me.
    Don't go too crazy with Quest bars though.

The sugar alcohols in them can turn you into a horrifying fart factory.

• Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular

- eat a steak every meal
    - buy protein powder

I'd flip your egg and bread ratio - I'm currently having one slice of toast (with a bit of bovril spread because yum) and three scrambled eggs on top. Which comes to about the same calories as your breakfast but with three eggs of protein rather than one (for reference my bread is 126kcal a slice and my eggs 66 apiece).

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    They put some strange shit in protein shakes/bars sometimes. When I was a teenager I was eating them on the regular trying to get swole the first time and my mother sat me down and said if I don't stop eating them she would put me up for adoption because my farts were just that rank.

Ones I'm eating now are fine though.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I'm not a big meat eater and the I find the normal mass produced chicken to be pretty gross so I get protein from milk, yogurt, beans, and whole grains. down a glass of 2% milk after a workout and you're good.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

One thing I noticed when starting on protein powder, and the reason I stopped with it, is that if you are not using that protein, your body will pass it, and it becomes some extremely large and extremely solid turds.

It's a bad time.

If that's a thing that happens to you then you should see a doctor about it. That's not a normal thing. Also I don't think the intestine is capable of selective absorption based on blood levels.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Brogey wrote: »
    I'm lactose intolerant so I usually take a synthetic protein with almond milk, mixed with some berries and a bit of oatmeal. On low carb days, I'll take a spoonfull of Benefiber with a drink.

Have you tried muscle milk? They market themselves as lactose free. Might be cheaper than the synthetic.

Edit: Just checked their site. They must have changed it recently. It now lists that some of their items may have a bit of lactose in them.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

It's a bad time.

If that's a thing that happens to you then you should see a doctor about it. That's not a normal thing. Also I don't think the intestine is capable of selective absorption based on blood levels.

No, this checks out.

Eat more, take bigger shits. Pretty standard

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I need to be better about keeping track of my shoe mileage.

Runners/joggers of the thread - don't be like me where you remember you haven't done the math in awhile and add it up and realize that you should've rolled to new shoes about 150 miles ago. Maybe take a sec and run the numbers.

On the plus side: new shoes!

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    All of my suggestions could come with the addendum "don't binge on any of this obviously". Generally a good healthy-eating habit anyhow.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

It's a bad time.

No, this checks out.

Is that what they meant? I mean, it's not purposefully filtering out protein, that's just more stuff = more shit.

Anyway, I'm getting better at long boarding. Just went 2.6 miles and wasn't killed in the process.

edit: or I'm dumb and don't know when you're joking

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Sick today, but I got some grip strength training at a gun range today. Got to play with a few 9s and 45s, and was hitting center mass at 30 40 feet. The standouts were the Glock 17, P226, and 1911. Kick wasn't nearly as bad as I remember from a few years ago before I started training again.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular

It's a bad time.

No, this checks out.

Is that what they meant? I mean, it's not purposefully filtering out protein, that's just more stuff = more shit.

Anyway, I'm getting better at long boarding. Just went 2.6 miles and wasn't killed in the process.

edit: or I'm dumb and don't know when you're joking

kinda joking, but in agreement with body can't actively filter it out.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Wait, I'm confused. I upped my protein intake by [a lot, not sure how much]. My workouts and activity didn't need that much protein, so my body didn't need it and passed it on. This led to large, extremely solid poops.

All this makes sense to me. Should I ask my doc about it? Coincidentally I have a doc appt next week. Am I dying?

This discussion has been closed.