As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] Thread: There Will Be No Overtime For This Thread.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    A clever ploy to change the rules of the game. Eliminate both the OL and DL and change the pass rush to Three Mississippi a la flag football.

And save money to splurge on overweight RBs!

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Heh so far the one I like that I see people saying is did they sign him at Half or Full back?....

Its only 3 mil if he inflates again.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Why spend money on the OL when you can blow it on overweight veteran RBs?!

/SeahawksGM

They're not mutually exclusive? The team is spending basically $0 on RBs right now and Lacy offers a different style of RB on a 1-year deal. They tried to throw money at OL and it fell through.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Not really comfortable with all the weight shaming of Lacy. Like I think we're better than that guys.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »
    Not really comfortable with all the weight shaming of Lacy. Like I think we're better than that guys.

Preach I agree. But also be prepared to hear Feastquake etc for about a year. And not just from here.

• JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Eh, usually weight shaming is pretty transparently just fat hating dickery. But for most people, getting fat doesn't actually remove their ability to do their job well.

I could not care any less if Lacey put on a few (dozen) pounds, if he was still the same player. But he won't be.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Packers now only have a former WR as RB...lovely. Anyone look like promising potential draft picks?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    It's supposed to be a deep draft for RBs, which is why there haven't been a lot of veteran signings.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I would agree with that, having watched a lot of college football. It's also just a low value position. Short longevity, relatively small variance, dependent on guys who are also super important for pass protection.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Patriots sign the most patriot sounding and patriot looking patriot to ever patriot, Rex burkhead

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Obviously excepting your once in a generation talents like Barry Sanders or Jim Brown or whatever. Fournette might be that, but durability is questionable with him already. McCaffrey might be more likely to be that kind of player just because RB seems to be moving more towards a Theo Riddick type of player than a traditional running back as the rules and style continue to emphasize passing.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Obviously excepting your once in a generation talents like Barry Sanders or Jim Brown or whatever. Fournette might be that, but durability is questionable with him already. McCaffrey might be more likely to be that kind of player just because RB seems to be moving more towards a Theo Riddick type of player than a traditional running back as the rules and style continue to emphasize passing.

i mean the patriots have punted the rb position for years to no ill effect. makes more sense to just grab a handful of cheap ones, play to their strengths, and make sure the bad ones can play special teams

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    Hightower remaining with the Pats for 4/43.5, 19 guaranteed

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    Based on Jamie Collins' (4/50, 26.5) and chandler jones' (5/83, 53) contracts, looks like he gave bill a discount

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Based on Jamie Collins' (4/50, 26.5) and chandler jones' (5/83, 53) contracts, looks like he gave bill a discount
    Supposedly the Steelers were close and the Jets offered more. Basically how we thought it'd go like 2 weeks ago.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I preferred, "We lost Beast Mode and gained Feast Mode" (Eddie can still kill me at any weight)

I don't think Lacy was a terrible signing. He probably won't be that good but he's not a cap burden or lockerroom cancer. Maybe you get some decent production from him, just don't think he's Lynch

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    He's likely gonna be part of a three-back committee with Rawls and Prosise, and his running style is different from both.

Obviously o-line is the bigger fish to fry, but there just aren't that many good FAs.

admanb on
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I think that it's more of how Hightower's worth is wrapped up in intangibles. His position isn't one that commands top dollar, he's not great in coverage, and he's not an elite pass rusher. His strengths are good versatility, very good pass rushing, and elite on-field leadership. Plus, a history of being clutch.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Not that much of a discount, I believe he's now the third highest payed at his position after Collins and Kuechly. I think the Browns just overpaid.

Ardol on
    In LB money, which he is right? not OLB?, he is now second in front of Wagner. And I wouldnt say he is as good as Wagner. Close. So yeah not much of a discount.

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Yeah Hightower is worth much more to the pats than he is to the other 31 teams

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    Well if the jets offered more, we got a discount

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    I lol at the thought of the jets having to pay a jets tax for free agents

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Masamune42Masamune42 Registered User regular

Those cupcakes weren't free.

There ya go that is more of the truth heh.

Like a few years ago when that guy hid in the bathroom to avoid signing with the Browns.

Its pretty amazing that Tom Brady and Mike Glennon have the same cap number in 2017. Or that Romo dead money, Sam Bradford, and Brock Osweiler will all have bigger cap hits than either.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    Remember he refit his contract because Deflategate.

Jubal77 wrote: »
    Remember he refit his contract because Deflategate.

He would've done it anyway. He does it all the time

The only difference in the deflategate thing was making it a bonus instead of salary so less would get docked

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    I'm not actually sure this restructure even had salary cap ramifications. It was mainly to get Brady more money

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    Sure he is comfortable and not in danger with the Pats but the length they went to protect his money if he were to miss games was unheard of. Being a "team player" was a part of it but so was the other thing. Not bashing it. It is extremely smart.

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Sure he is comfortable and not in danger with the Pats but the length they went to protect his money if he were to miss games was unheard of. Being a "team player" was a part of it but so was the other thing. Not bashing it. It is extremely smart.

Agreed, if they didn't pay him for keeping omerta, who knows what the next cheater might rat to the league about.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
    all charges dropped against revis, which i sort of expected

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Claiborne to NYJets.

And Dallas' suuuuuper deep secondary barely notices...

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I totally missed that the pats traded a second for Ealy and a 3rd. That's what, moving 6 spots back and picking up an end with multiple cost controlled years?

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

Makes him slightly more likely to get picked up by a team, although he still has the bigger issue of "is old and can't cover people anymore".

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    knitdan wrote: »

Makes him slightly more likely to get picked up by a team, although he still has the bigger issue of "is old and can't cover people anymore".

He's a safety now and he knows it. Remains to be seen whether he can be effective there

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    I totally missed that the pats traded a second for Ealy and a 3rd. That's what, moving 6 spots back and picking up an end with multiple cost controlled years?

This is what's known as "the rich getting richer."

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    edited March 2017
    Lynch reportedly considering coming out of retirement to play for Raiders

Or perhaps it's solely raiders contemplating acquiring lynch and then trying to convince him to unretire

Either way

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    No. Don't do this, Marshawn! I want to see more trips to Europe on a bicycle! More cameos in Conan videos!

This discussion has been closed.