As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Edge of the Empire pbp] Allegiance IC/OOC

Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
edited March 2017 in Critical Failures
220?cb=20140907003401

What's this?
Edge of the Empire is a roleplaying system set in the Star Wars universe. It works using narrative dice- roll to attempt a risky maneuver with that starfighter, and you get a Success and an Advantage. Congrats! You pulled it off and (you decide this bit) you lined up for a great shot next round. Or maybe you rolled a Failure and a Despair. Not only did you fail to pull off that Double-Sklerk Roll you redlined your engines so hard that they exploded. Not good.

How's it played?
You'll need a copy of Edge of the Empire or Age of Rebellion. Use Duty instead of Obligation for character creation. If you ain't got those and would still like to play, feel free to shoot me a PM!

What's the catch?
Glad you asked! See, as a loyal citizen you support the Empire. You're not some high-and-mighty Grand Inquisitor, oh no.

You're the retired Stormtrooper who decided to come out of retirement after her son was killed in a Rebel bombing.

You're the independent shipper fed up with constant pirate attacks who's finally taking matters into his own hands.

You're the colonist who lost everything after a corrupt sector official shut down the largest employer on your world in exchange for kickbacks from galactic competitors.

There are fifty million inhabited worlds in the galaxy. Most of them never even see a Stormtrooper. You're the closest thing to law and order in lightyears.

But that lessens my opportunity to shoot dudes in the face!
Hardly! In fact, you'll have even more opportunity to shoot dudes in the face because you'll be fighting both sides.

Why are you doing this?
One of the things they don't really get into in Star Wars media (movies, tv shows, etc.) is that billions of sentients really do support the Empire, and continue to support it even after the New Republic pops up. I wanted to explore that.

What do you need from me?
Two things!
Backstory- this system makes it easy to design a character around a backstory and fill in the stats, rather than making a character around stats and filling in the backstory later.

Character sheets
- EoE here and AoR here

Use 20 Duty instead of Obligation for character creation, but if you want to throw in Obligation for favor, go right ahead. Everyone still starts with 20 Duty and you can lower it for XP in the same way that EoE uses Obligation)

Note that you're going to need to modify whatever you write up for Duty to be Imperial-friendly. So instead of grabbing everyone who looks even vaguely against the Empire for the Personnel type, you'd instead be on the lookout for the rare intelligent and honest citizen to serve the Empire (instead of the usual cowardly incompetents). Who knows, maybe you can even install them in key positions. It's that kind of game.

Again, if you don't have the rulebooks, or if you own EoE but really want the classes in AoR, or really really want to play a Chiss but don't have the Explorer add-on hit me up via PM. We'll work something out.

Tips for making good characters-
*Character creation is the only time you can change Attributes in a big way. Way down the road there are options to increase them by one or two, but for now this is it.
That being said, higher attributes = better. You can always increase skills later, but now is the only time you can use XP for base stats. Take advantage of it.
*Ranged (light) is always useful
*Everyone gets one light blaster for free! Use your creds to buy something fun.

Characters
Reynolds- XP10-C, Droid Trader
discrider- Xket Tchuk, Rodian Medic
Saint Justice- Roland Dorsai, Human Mercenary Soldier
cj ikawura- Delilah Zhurial, Human Ace
El Skid- Malleous Templeton, Human Agitator

Captain Marcus on

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Can I rejoin this with Shouty Imperial Officer?

Oh wait. Standard XP build.
    I'll make someone else.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    May I introduce XP10-C, Droid Negotiator/Used Speeder Salesman.
    XP10-C is a Trandoshan labor droid (from the same product line as the X10-D draft droid) built for the lifting and manipulation of (usually heavy) items. It was designed with lower power but more dexterity than the larger variations. This particular model was tasked with moving parts and supplies between cargo transports at the lone spaceport on <insert planet here>. Eventually XP10-C began to show signs of wear and was sold by its Trandoshan owners to one of the company's frequent customers, a Human named Nex Regarrn. Now in the service of 'Regarrn & Sons Used Speeders & Speeder Repairs', XP10-C spent its days moving parts and supplies between storage spaces and display areas around the main store. With its strength steadily fading, although repairs kept it running for many years longer than expected, it was soon assigned to moving smaller loads around the main store and sales floor. Over the decades, and into the next generation of the Regarrn family, XP10-C slowly developed conversation skills by listening to the workers and customers. After surprising a salesman by speaking up to successfully aid in closing a deal, the workers began training the droid, whose failing strength now left it little stronger than the average Human, and it was soon working the sales floor next to his new friends.

Proving to be an exemplary salesman, as tireless in this work as it had been in its former occupations, XP10-C became a full, paid employee, his initial purchase price having long since been worked off. The droid continued to work with further generations of the Regarrn family, and became something of a fixture in the local community. After decades without a memory wipe, the former labor droid began to act more and more Human, taking to wearing clothing and being called 'he' instead of 'it' by the locals. Unfortunately, as stalwart citizens of the Empire, his community suffered when rebels attacked the planet's spaceport, slowing trade and causing the Regarrn family to downsize their business, costing many of his coworkers their jobs. With his friends and family suffering, XP10-C left home to search the galaxy for new opportunities, assisting the Empire in acquiring resources while funneling as much of his earnings as possible back home.

Hopefully that uploads correctly. And hopefully I created the character correctly.

He basically looks like this droid here except more rectangular in the chest and head. Also with more hand-like hands.

I can come up with a random planet name for where he started, but if you have one that fits the area or the story, that I can use, that would be great. Also, I made his free blaster one of the stun-only types. He's not really built for combat, but I figured his former owners might have installed a simple stunner to use on potential speeder thieves or particularly belligerent customers. His strength failed over the many years, repairs became less helpful as he aged, and eventually he stopped really caring once he found his new occupation. Could theoretically be increased again later, I think using the cybernetics rules, but it isn't really a focus.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Good so far, but switch your blaster to a generic light blaster pistol (Dam 4, Crit 4, Range Medium). Almost every blaster you can buy has a stun toggle and the light blaster's no exception. Maybe XP10-C's owner's installed a blaster after they had a series of angry customers asking for their money back!

• Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    This intrigues me and I do have both the EotE and AoR books. Could you please elaborate on the setting/premise a bit? When is this taking place, Rebellion era or New Republic era?

Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    This intrigues me and I do have both the EotE and AoR books. Could you please elaborate on the setting/premise a bit? When is this taking place, Rebellion era or New Republic era?
    Six months after the destruction of the stolen experimental mining platform in the Yavin system, the Emperor declares a day of mourning for Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin, avenger of Rebel-destroyed Alderaan. In a rare speech before the Galactic Senate he announces that the Rebellion will be hunted down wherever, whenever possible and calls for a 15% tax on all Outer Rim planets to finance new shipbuilding initiatives. The speech is met with a twenty-minute standing ovation and the new taxes are unanimously approved.

However, with the death of a Moff the Core Worlds clamor for protection and all non-essential Imperial forces are pulled back from the Outer Rim, leaving the outlying sectors vulnerable to piracy and organized crime. Never filled with the Empire's best and brightest, the sectors succumb one by one to corruption and financial decay, the new taxes and skeleton defense forces overwhelming even the most resourceful regional governors.

Into this maelstrom you throw yourselves. The Empire is unwilling to act and as far as you're concerned the Rebels are part of the problem, as their constant raids on shipping and warehouses for supplies and weapons beggar your worlds. Do you have what it takes to restore order and bring justice to the benighted Minos Sector, or will you too fall victim to the myriad forces ripping your beloved Empire apart?

Captain Marcus on
    Ok, I'm creating a Human Hired Gun/ Mercenary Soldier spec and will post him tonight as soon as I'm done.

I had to get dinner and help my wife with stuff around the house, so I got a late start. I'll post him asap.

Is there a way to upload the character sheet using the link? My character, Roland Dorsai, is almost complete. I just need to tweak his background write up and I'll upload him after work. For now, I'm going to get some sleep.

Yep! Click on the button in between the mountain painting and the chain. You can choose a file to upload that way.

edited March 2017
    I'm stuck in online character sheet hell and I'll try to figure that out via PM. In the meantime, here's my write up for Roland Dorsai, my Human Hired Gun/Mercenary Soldier:
    Roland Dorsai was born and raised on the Outer Rim planet of Bakura. As he grew up, he saw much crime and corruption. As he witnessed more and more injustices, he decided to pursue work in law enforcement. Roland quickly climbed up the ranks due to his natural talent, dedication, and leadership. As a SWAT commander, he did what he could to protect his people but there were limits to his resources, support, and authority. Roland's team was wiped out on a raid gone wrong and he barely survived, having been left for dead. The target turned out to be a hidden seperatist base. After tracking down the seperatists to their new base, Roland transmitted their position to the Republic on the condition that he got to participate in the raid. Revenge was sweet, but nothing would bring back his comrades. The Republic secured Bakura and shortly afterwards it became the Galactic Empire under the rule of Chancellor (now Emperor) Palpatine.

Roland is grateful to the Empire for what they accomplished on Bakura but resents their withdrawal into the Core Worlds to satisfy public opinion and buoy morale. Out on the edge of the Empire, folks have to protect themselves and one another. Roland has just recently begun his mercenary career and intends to use it to protect the Outer Rim planets that are now quite vulnerable to crime, piracy, insurrection, and all manner of other evils. He also intends to realize his full potenial and make a stack of creds in the process. It may not be as glamorous as hunting down rebels in the core, but it's a job that needs doing and Roland is ready to get to work.

Saint Justice on
    Wowsers, guess the links in the op don't work anymore. Here's a character sheet.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I'm interested, but I don't have the book, just glanced through them once. Is a pilot viable?

wVEsyIc.png
    I think a pilot and some sort of mechanic or tech would be good. We've got a talker and a shooter. And whatever @discrider is coming up with.

I found a planet for my droid to come from: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Onadax

Also redid his sheet with the Captain's help. Uploading it here again.

Should we perhaps set up a game on Roll20? It has a character sheet we can fill out and store there, instead of having to upload here each time. Might be easier in the long run.

uyvfOQy.png
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm interested, but I don't have the book, just glanced through them once. Is a pilot viable?
    A pilot's very viable.

And @Reynolds roll20 is nice but it's easier just to do it on the forums. The built-in dice roller is very nice and the ease of posting makes it easy to write up a quick response.

I just thought we might be able to store our sheets and help keep track of some other stuff through that, not that we'd use it for everything.

uyvfOQy.png
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I just thought we might be able to store our sheets and help keep track of some other stuff through that, not that we'd use it for everything.
    I've got everything in a big folder on my desktop. I trust y'all not to give yourself 5000 extra credits : p

Geth roll 1d100 for apparently you can get two doodies

apparently you can get two doodies:
    1d100 80 [1d100=80]

edited March 2017
    Okay, so I've finally put together someone:
    Xket Tchuk
    Rodian - Soldier: Medic

Background:
    Ever since he was a slither, Xket, like most Rodians, has been fascinated by the hunt.
    Just, unnaturally so.

Whilst the others were sparring, Xket was prodding the sprained.
    Whilst the others were slashing, Xket was noting how the cut cleaved the scales.
    Whilst the others were shooting, Xket was, well actually he was aiming strangely steadily, but he seemed to enjoy the shooting.

Then came the day of his first hunt.
    The young Rodians had all come out in numbers to chase the hand-picked and unfortunate beast released by the Elders.
    They belted through the jungle, following the tracks of the scared animal.
    Finally they cornered it in a bluff, scrabbling up the rock walls to escape.
    As they encircled it, preparing for deadly combat, a single bolt arced out of the forest and into the prey.
    And the beast fell dead.

Xket, proudly walked up to the downed animal, examining the entry and exit wounds.
    "A clean ssshot", he exclaimed, seeing the heart having been excised in its entirety.
    "No sssport", the elders responded, pulling him roughly away from his prize and back to camp.

And that was that. From then, Xket was banned from further hunts.
    He still got some satisfaction from suturing up those who managed to get sliced open in pursuit of their sport.
    But he was not a hunter, and could never aspire to escape offworld and put his skills to the test like so many Rodian bounty hunters before.

However, now with the sudden consolidation of the Empire, a great recruitment drive started.
    So when the local arm of the Empire came to the Xket's planet, warriors were demanded.
    And warriors they got; the runts. Every Rodian who could not make it as a bounty hunter or who otherwise was unfit to hunt was offered as candidates.

Shortly after, Xket was handed a Medpack and told that if he could not handle himself in a fight, that he should at least sustain those who could.
    Xket continues to do so, with a rather disquieting affectation to the role, but always driven by the base Rodian instinct to hunt out worthy opponents wherever they lie.
    That the Empire is often the one pointing him in the general direction of hidden insurgents is of no consequence here.
    All Xket asks is that they don't tell him to drop a target inefficiently.

The Rodian spaceports then, are lively places.
    The most promising bounty hunters start off their careers here, displaying their prior kills and skills to potential contractors, in the hopes of securing a ship to get off-world and start the chase for real.
    Less promising recruits get inducted into security firms and the like. Organised military units, where the Rodian skills are appreciated but not necessarily fully explored.
    Similarly employed Rodians often come back to port to tell of their exploits, and perhaps increase their charge on the next contract.

Until, one day, the local hub was engulfed in a fireball.
    And Xket marveled.
    The lifeblood to his entire community had been cut off in one rebellious act.
    The elders would rage predictably. "Cowardiccce!"
    And his community would suffer, and the embarrassment could not stand nor be allowed to repeat.
    But as he stole onto an abandoned space shuttle, its owner dead somewhere in the rubble, he couldn't help but sound the size and shape of the wound, and admire it.
    He would have to return the favour.

Duty: Combat Superiority/Sabotage

discrider on
    Apparently we also get like 1d100 free credits after character creation as starting creds:

Geth roll 1d100 for starbucks

starbucks:
    1d100 99 [1d100=99]

I'm digging the character concept, discrider. I posted my write up earlier but I'll be posting my character sheet after work today and I'll include it on that post for convenience.

Rejigging Xket's background, specifically how he got off planet and his motivations with the Empire:
    The Rodian spaceports then, are lively places.
    The most promising bounty hunters start off their careers here, displaying their prior kills and skills to potential contractors, in the hopes of securing a ship to get off-world and start the chase for real.
    Less promising recruits get inducted into security firms and the like. Organised military units, where the Rodian skills are appreciated but not necessarily fully explored.
    Similarly employed Rodians often come back to port to tell of their exploits, and perhaps increase their charge on the next contract.

Until, one day, the local hub was engulfed in a fireball.
    And Xket marveled.
    The lifeblood to his entire community had been cut off in one rebellious act.
    The elders would rage predictably. "Cowardiccce!"
    And his community would suffer, and the embarrassment could not stand nor be allowed to repeat.
    But as he stole onto an abandoned space shuttle, its owner dead somewhere in the rubble, he couldn't help but sound the size and shape of the wound, and admire it.
    He would have to return the favour.

Duty: Combat Superiority/Sabotage

Roland Dorsai's background, image, and sheet combo lives at last!
    Roland Dorsai was born and raised on the Outer Rim planet of Bakura. As he grew up, he saw much crime and corruption. Witnessing more and more injustices, he decided to pursue work in law enforcement. Roland quickly climbed the ranks due to his natural talent, dedication, and leadership. As a SWAT commander, he did what he could to protect his people but there were limits to his resources, support, and authority. Roland's team was wiped out on a raid gone wrong and he barely survived, having been left for dead. The target turned out to be a hidden seperatist base. After tracking down the seperatists to their new base, Roland transmitted their position to the Republic on the condition that he got to participate in the raid. Revenge was sweet, but nothing would bring back his comrades. The Republic secured Bakura and shortly afterwards it became the Galactic Empire under the rule of Chancellor (now Emperor) Palpatine.

Roland is grateful to the Empire for what they accomplished on Bakura but resents their withdrawal into the Core Worlds to satisfy public opinion and buoy morale. Out on the edge of the Empire, folks have to protect themselves and one another. Roland has just recently begun his mercenary career and intends to use it to protect the Outer Rim planets that are now quite vulnerable to crime, piracy, insurrection, and all manner of other evils. He also intends to realize his full potenial and make a stack of creds in the process. It may not be as glamorous as hunting down rebels in the core, but it's a job that needs doing and Roland is ready to get to work.

9twqotx4us98.jpg

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Does picking a sub-specialization in Career(i.e. Piloting: Space) limit to four skills, or can you still use all eight as career skills?

I have my character in mind, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around all the skills and allocations and such.

wVEsyIc.png
    So you'd pick 4 of the 8 Smuggler career skills to put a rank into. But those are all still career skills permanently, which is important for buying ranks later.

Then when you pick the Pilot specialization, 4 more skills become career skills, and you can put a rank into 2 of them. You don't lose any of the 8 career skills from class selection, you get to check these off in addition to those. And, since Pilot (Space) is on the list for both, you can put a rank into it during both steps to start off at rank 2 in that skill.

On the character sheet there's a spot to check off to highlight career skills, and then a separate spot to mark how many ranks you have in a skill.

uyvfOQy.png
    Cool, that's what I figured.

We roll a d100 for starting credits, or is there a base amount?

wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2017
    You get 500 to spend during creation, to buy weapons, armor and other gear. GM is also giving everyone a Light Blaster Pistol for free, if you didn't already spot that. You can also adjust Duty/Obligation to get bonus credits, if you want to buy something really expensive. I think we'll also get our group ship for free, once we've decided on what we want. Or the GM might be assigning us one in particular.

Then you keep whatever you don't spend, plus that extra d100 worth for some walking around money. Which I guess I need to roll as well.

Geth roll 1d100 for starting credits.

starting credits:
    1d100 65 [1d100=65]

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited March 2017
    Geth, roll 1d100 for credits.

Nice.

credits:
    1d100 16 [1d100=16]

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    Can a character have a cybernetic enhancement based on backstory? (An eye namely.)

wVEsyIc.png
    I think that's like 7,500 credits, so I doubt you can start with one.

uyvfOQy.png
    I'm guessing that it would be okay so long as it was purely cosmetic and otherwise functioned like a normal eye.
    But yeah, up to the DM.

So yeah, there's cybernetic eyes that provide bonuses to Vigilence and Perception, and they're probably out unless you have the credits.
    But then there are prosthetic implants that don't provide bonuses, and they are "ask your DM (and then cost might not be an issue)".

discrider wrote: »
    So yeah, there's cybernetic eyes that provide bonuses to Vigilence and Perception, and they're probably out unless you have the credits.
    But then there are prosthetic implants that don't provide bonuses, and they are "ask your DM (and then cost might not be an issue)".
    Yeah as long as it doesn't do anything it's fine. Everyone else, feel free to give yourself a robotic arm or something if you like.

Where are you guys seeing the 1d100 starting credits thing? I don't see that listed in the book or OP.

It's somewhere in the book. I forget exactly where, but it's definitely in there. IIRC after you buy stuff with the 500 credits then you roll for pocket change.

Geth, roll 1d100 for credits.

credits:
    1d100 25 [1d100=25]

Is there any particular setting we'll be using? I assume our characters are wanderers and not necessarily staying in any one special place.

Delilah Zhurial, ex-Imperial Pilot.
    (Homeworld: Eriadu
    Duty: Intelligence)

IvlNaZv.png
    (She tends to wear her hair back and tied to one side, and wears scanner goggles or a visor to hide an otherwise distinctly cybernetic eye.)
    Delilah was raised to be a bureaucrat, a diplomat, a negotiator. Stay out of the line of fire, rule from behind the scenes. That's what her family always planned for her, and that was always the game she played. She knew how to manipulate, how to talk her way around a boardroom, and especially how to wrap senators around her little finger.

That was never her true calling, though. She wasn't going to settle for the land. Delilah wanted the stars.

Her parents had nearly disowned her when she joined the Imperial Academy... at least, until they received word of her glowing achievements. She was constantly besting simulator times, outlasting the expected survival time of a TIE Pilot, and making her peers in the flight school look like amateurs.

That didn't make it any better. If anything, it made it worse. Because the only thing harder than trying to ascend through the Imperial ranks as a woman was being one that made the men look bad.

Sure, she made it out of the academy. She even got to run test flights and do patrols. But combat? Never. Not for a lowly Ensign.

Delilah had bright aspirations, but she wasn't stupid. Her talents were not a catapult to her goals, they were a burden. She would never make it into a flight squadron within Eriadu's antiquated imperial organization, much less a flight lead.

So she left. That did get her disowned, but Delilah was far past caring at that point. She scrounged up her own credits, found her own way off world, and eventually, would prove her true worth as an Imperial pilot... with or without the Empire's blessing.

wVEsyIc.png
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    @Captain Marcus are you still accepting new applications, or is your roster pretty much set? If you still have room I'd love to make a character!

@El Skid
    If you've got the books, go for it! I'm almost done writing up the first adventure.

Oof okay...I'll try and put something together quickly.

I'm thinking of a human merchant who has used contacts inside the empire and the corruption at its core to do very well for himself... and he's worried if the Imperials falter, so will his business. He hasn't exactly made many friemds among the other merchants either...there are several others waiting for the Empire to lose control specifically so they can settle old scores with him.

Ah yes, we have a trader of sorts already. That's okay, we can apply the above core concept to a former Imperial agent who was involved in the less....legal aspects of managing the Empire. He would have been involved in kidnappings, 'accidents' and general intimidation where the Empire didn't want to be seen as taking a direct hand in their detractors' misfortunes.

I'm thinking of a sort of casually racist sort of Human who would have done well in Imperial circles, and doesn't want to see the lesser races gain any sort of equality in the sector as Imperial control dwindles. So a focus on rogue/spy/combat skills.

Geth roll 1d100 for starting credits.

starting credits:
    1d100 19 [1d100=19]