As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SMT/Persona: My Neighbor Morgana (P5 out 4/4, if you hold on life will change)

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

Can confirm it is badass and stylish as fuck

does it actually have partial nudity like the listing says??

I don't see any. Maybe it's just related to the game?

99% sure the themes get the same ESRB rating as the game they are associated with

the bloodborne one for getting a plat trophy is the same

J3qcnBP.png
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    Jeez, Igor, so the guy got a bit excited, no need to put him in jizz jail.

ZD98Zka.png
  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Fffffff.

I downloaded that Persona 5 avatar/theme set and switched to it to see what it was like and i might have to keep it just for that music.

Sorry 100ft Robot Golf.

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    There are only two complaints I've read about Persona 5, really.

1) Lots of queer-baiting
    2) It doesn't do as much with its themes as it could.

on number two
    It turns into fairly standard "good vs evil" stuff after the second dungeon or so

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Yeah...it seems to me that...
    The Phantom Thieves are obviously the "good guys" which I don't mind but I was hoping they'd keep it murky for at least a little bit.

As for the queer bait-y stuff can't say I'm surprised. Japan still seems to overall treat queer stuff like the butt of a joke at least from what I've seen.

Dragkonias on
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah...it seems to me that...
    The Phantom Thieves are obviously the "good guys" which I don't mind but I was hoping they'd keep it murky for at least a little bit.

As for the queer bait-y stuff can't say I'm surprised. Japan still seems to overall treat queer stuff like the butt of a joke at least from what I've seen.
    It's never really "are they good guys" because the very first target you're up against is an absolutely despicable human being and taking him down is in everyone's best interest. It's more that they tease "do the ends justify the means" but very quickly answer that with "yes"

camo_sig2.png

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Blackjack wrote: »
    1) Lots of queer-baiting

what is this

Magic Pink on
  • Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Someone gives some examples of issues with the story:
    https://curiouscat.me/Moogy/post/119416947?t=1489446855

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr

dammit

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    1) Lots of queer-baiting

what is this

Queer baiting is basically when you put a lot of queer subtext into your product (as to attract queer consumers usually) but don't actually follow through.

And from what that guy says seems like the game bites off a little more than it can chew. Which...hopefully it isn't too heavy-handed.

Dragkonias on
    1) Lots of queer-baiting

what is this

Queerbaiting is when there's lots of homoerotic/queer subtext while maintaining character's heterosexuality. Sort of an attempt at drawing in a queer audience without alienating straight audiences.

camo_sig2.png

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

The okama stuff is basically what I've been bracing myself for the whole time but hoo boy, jeez louise, that's a bit much

dN0T6ur.png
    Oh...I didn't even catch that part.

Yeah...that's pretty bad.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    honestly, those complaints aren't particularly surprising to me

the strengths of persona 4 were the cast interacting with one another, not the larger metaplot. in addition the additions in golden leaned towards a more...in terms of the tone-deafness towards sexuality and sexualization, it was more what people would expect from a JRPG.

as long as the character interaction is on the quality of the previous games it should still resonate for me, and let me look past the either eyerolling or embarrassing parts within (kanji's not gay, he just likes a girl that dresses like a man (and doesn't identify as one no sir)!)

liEt3nH.png
    Well...my issue is that as far as Persona goes they actually address sexuality and gender in a more direct way than any Japanese game I've played.

They just fumble the ball like every time.

theres plot in persona?

J3qcnBP.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    theres plot in persona?

Uhh... yes?

idk im just here for dope ass jazz

J3qcnBP.png
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

YES!

I can replace Ryuji now!

Thank you!

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Well...my issue is that as far as Persona goes they actually address sexuality and gender in a more direct way than any Japanese game I've played.

They just fumble the ball like every time.

Yeah, them handling Kanji is some of the best aspects of Persona 4, at least in terms on his Social Link or when he really lashes back at Yosuke being an ass. But anytime Yosuke addresses it, it's very bad.

Japan's getting there, but they're still a bit behind in terms of addressing homosexuality.

I like kanji's arc and I don't think he needs to be gay at all for it to work. it's not about being gay or not, it's about how it's okay to like so called girly things even if you're a guy. same thing with naoto, pretending to be a man because you want to do something traditionally reserved for men is something that could have been taken straight from one of numerous historic figures.

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Oh definitely.

They just stand out compared to the rest of the game having Yosuke be an intolerant ass to Kanji because of his dungeon.

edited March 2017
    Jars wrote: »
    I like kanji's arc and I don't think he needs to be gay at all for it to work. it's not about being gay or not, it's about how it's okay to like so called girly things even if you're a guy. same thing with naoto, pretending to be a man because you want to do something traditionally reserved for men is something that could have been taken straight from one of numerous historic figures.

This is true.

Its very important to say you can like feminine things while being masculine and vice versa. And also have it be little more than that.

But at the same time, also to say that you know if you are those things and there is more to it than that, that's cool too.

And before folks start complaining around me bringing issues into the game. I'm only critiquing issues in which they seem to be incorporating themselves.

Dragkonias on
    I think some people wanted them to be about being gay/gender identity. but they just aren't.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    It's going to drive me crazy that one of the party members is apparently named "Yusuke"

That's waaaaaaay too close

6F32U1X.png
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i started playing shin megami tensei: nocturne recently and nobody warned me about matador

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    can't wait for your persona 6 buddy, Yesuke

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    nosuke

liEt3nH.png
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    gokuse

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    I think some people wanted them to be about being gay/gender identity. but they just aren't.

and it's awful that they toy around with being about homosexuality and gender identity but end up just making shitty jokes and establishing cisheteronormativity

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr

well that's the thing, they very well can be. they don't specify it in any way really so you can read a lot into the situation

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    i started playing shin megami tensei: nocturne recently and nobody warned me about matador

1397738518131.jpg

I guess that image broke but I am on a tablet so I can't fix it right now.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    the true message of Persona 4 is to just accept people for who they are

unless they're fat or old and then you should mock them mercilessly

YaYa wrote: »
    the true message of Persona 4 is to just accept people for who they are

unless they're fat or old and then you should mock them mercilessly

and "old" = over 25

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    If teenagers don't mercilessly mock their elders then they aren't teenaging right

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod

That guy beat me so badly the first time I played that I thought it was a scripted loss. When I got dumped back into the main menu I realized I was in for a different kind of game.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Is Matador about equivalent to the Minotaur in 4? Or possible Medusa?

dN0T6ur.png
    you know, I'm not sure matador HAS an equivalent in any game really.

It would be more like if a game automatically started you on Easy mode then switched it to Nightmare and you could never change it back.

This discussion has been closed.