As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] 8th ed Incoming! New Profiles, new rules new stats quo.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Chrysis wrote: »
    So my first Heresy Era Thousand Sons Vet is done-ish. He needs decals on the pauldrons, but I'm fairly happy with how it turned out. My one concern is that the white may be a little bright, and also needs some touch-ups where wash get on it. Also Mk3 armour looks great until you realise how many rivets there are that need to be painted.
    hsm0jfsm7j0z.jpg

Looking good!
    I think the white definitely needs something. I did white weapons on a few of my marines in the past (my Emperor's Children actually) and tbh I could never quite get it to work, so i'm not quite sure what exactly that something is.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Chrysis wrote: »
    So my first Heresy Era Thousand Sons Vet is done-ish. He needs decals on the pauldrons, but I'm fairly happy with how it turned out. My one concern is that the white may be a little bright, and also needs some touch-ups where wash get on it. Also Mk3 armour looks great until you realise how many rivets there are that need to be painted.
    hsm0jfsm7j0z.jpg

Looking good!
    I think the white definitely needs something. I did white weapons on a few of my marines in the past (my Emperor's Children actually) and tbh I could never quite get it to work, so i'm not quite sure what exactly that something is.

Maybe take a cue from Gunpla and try panel lining the gun? Get a very fine tip black pen and outline the details on the white part so they stand out instead of being a solid white piece with little definition to the detail bits.
    Spoiled Gundam Head, pre and post lining (with a touch of paint on the vulcans) as an example that gets the idea across better than I'm managing.
    xryq5e3s8j6v.jpg
    Maybe a wash and then going over it to bring the details back up to a clean white would work as well. Don't know if it would be any faster though. Sure sounds like a load of fiddly detail work though.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    A wash was what I was going to suggest. Maybe blue, because as it is, the plain white lacks definition or detail. So a wash, then clean up the white so you get a final effect much like panel lines See317 showed in his post.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I mean, are you counting non-codex chapters?

Blood Angels, Black Templars, Dark Angels (& all their successor chapters), & Space Wolves, if so.

Yeah I knew about the big dogs, was looking for lesser known Chapters.

I miss the little story arc they had going with the Relictors during the last black crusade campaign.

Did anything come out of those giant sized space marine rumours/pic?
    I heard a couple of people say it was a kitbash, and none of the rumour sites seemed to follow up on it so I guess it was a fake?

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I've come to realize that I love Space Marine chapters that openly reject Imperial rules yet still remain loyal, like the Celestial Lions. Any one got some other examples of these?

Soul Drinkers are an extreme example, I suppose, but they're more loyal to the Emperor than the Imperium. Also, lorewise I think there's currently only 3 of them left.

H9f4bVe.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    @JusticeforPluto The Iron Snakes (can't remember who they're a successor of) spend most of their time traveling individually to lend aid to systems facing issues that normally wouldn't warrant Space Marine intervention. Sort of like knights errant (but not the Knights Errant chapter). They don't have companies, but are just organized into semi-autonomous squads when operating in groups. They have excessive numbers of Apothecaries.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Did anything come out of those giant sized space marine rumours/pic?
    I heard a couple of people say it was a kitbash, and none of the rumour sites seemed to follow up on it so I guess it was a fake?

What I've seen following the Dakka thread on it is that it's a bit of both. The rumour mongers with decent reputation (in this case Hastings) have said that the general rumour of bigger marines is true, but that the pic is not.

And as for my marine, I agree on the white. But the bolter itself doesn't actually have many details on the white. I'll need to pick out the iron sights and the two weird little boxes, but that's it. The shoulder pads have the nubs, so I'll probably try and go back and shade the underside of those delicately. I'm not good at delicate though.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Just saw that a new GW box game was announced at the GAMA trade show and got excited at the word Armageddon!

...but then read the WHC article and now I don't care.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I mean, it could be something like Necromunda lite which could be fun?

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Could be, but losing the Necromunda gang flavor would suck. Scouts vs Boyz makes it just sound like more Kill Team style stuff. Give me my Cawdor and Goliath and Delaque!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    GW's boxed games (aside from Warhammer Quest) are generally an excuse for them to sell minis at a steep discount while still telling their investors that they:
    1. Never have "sales"
    2. Never drop prices
    That they are also generally pretty fun games is icing on the cake.

See also: "Start Collecting" sets.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It's why I got back into it
    Still I would rather see a steel legion vs orks

• TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    I wager it'll be like the scouts vs genestealer game

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I wager it'll be like the scouts vs genestealer game

This has actual terrain, if this isn't an elaborate fake.

OcIRD06.jpg

• LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    I can see myself buying that just for the terrain, if it isn't hilariously expensive (and the scouts will probably become Wolf Scouts...)

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I'm still slowly working on my army commander. Any suggestions on how to paint his holster?

20170314_022126_zpswzcmbmq5.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Word is this is our new Necromunda.

Fucking sold.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    My big wager would be;

Kill team rules with 1-2 AoS style datasheets each for the 16-17 factions or whatever they're advertising it for.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Here’s the basics from our BoLS reporter on site at the GAMA trade show:
    • Necromunda will re-released in a new reimagined edition.
    • Titled Armageddon Shadow Wars
    • Rules will be almost identical to the original.
    • Organized Play support will accompany the new game.
    • Unlike Killteam, there is a point-based system for buying your gang.
    • The game does NOT use the 40K rules, stats, etc at all.
    • The game will ship with 12 factions.
    • The core box will contain Blood Angels Marine Scouts and Orks

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

This seems contradictory seeing as necromunda uses 40k stats.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Rereleasing Necromunda without actually titling the damn thing Necromunda seems like a misfire.

That said, I'm very interested.

• KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    So for us newbs what is Necromunda?

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    As long as I can assemble, paint and play my Adeptus Arbites, it'll be okay.

I've been wanting to since 1999.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Koreg wrote: »
    So for us newbs what is Necromunda?

It was a really small scale game (typically less than ten models per side) released way back during 2nd edition. The neat part was that your gang persisted across a campaign, and there were rules for giving them new skills, new equipment and new injuries between games.

It also wore the 2000 AD influence on its sleeve just a little bit more blatantly than the rest of 40k was doing at the time; the factions for it were very specific and didn't crossover with the rest of 40k at all, barring bonus rules for stuff like Genestealer Cults and Imperial Guard.

It's memorable mostly because some absolutely ridiculous shit could happen during campaigns, and it was also pretty much the perfect scale for the complexity of 2nd edition's ruleset.

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    It was the 40k version of Mordheim, kind of.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I don't have any Scouts, have been thinking of picking up some Orks, and that terrain looks neat.

I guess as that means that as long as the price isn't ridiculous I'm gonna have to pick that box up. Hopefully we get some info on pricing/a release date soon.

Echo wrote: »

"BOLS reporter" is about as reliable as Faeit.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    @JusticeforPluto The Iron Snakes (can't remember who they're a successor of) spend most of their time traveling individually to lend aid to systems facing issues that normally wouldn't warrant Space Marine intervention. Sort of like knights errant (but not the Knights Errant chapter). They don't have companies, but are just organized into semi-autonomous squads when operating in groups. They have excessive numbers of Apothecaries.

These dudes seem pretty cool. Thanks!

You know what kills me? The mispronunciation of their fake Latin. It kills me to hear people pronounce "cuss-toads."

It should be "cus-to-deez."

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    cus-to-deez nutz

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Did Black Library do their annual writing contest this year and I didn't notice?

• Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    As a long time Necromunda player... launching a new box with scouts and orks sounds... bad.

Necro was always about the smaller guys in the 40k universe. It's a bunch of human sized dudes scraching and crawling their way to survive. Even something like Arbites was impossible to work into the game beyond a GM tool as they have things necro wasn't designed for - reliable equipment and skilled gang members. They just end up rolling over anyone else because they play a different game.

I'm sure the rules are changing - but pushing marines and orks in your new "starter" either sends the wrong impression of what the game is or the game is vastly different. Maybe that's why they renamed it.

I'll wait for more information before I make a real judgement but my immediate reaction to "Necomunda with orks and marines!" is not a good one. I really hope necro stays necro and this new game is something separate.

Sharp101 on
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Eh, in the current day and age I can certainly see why they would do Necromunda but with real factions. Aside from some of us old grognards, I'm not sure what proportion of the current audience the underhive would resonate with. I still hope that Forgeworld does a "proper" new edition of Necromunda, but Necro-lite with 40k factions could be a good bit of fun.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Really one of the unresolved problems I had in Nercomunda was my gang leader was killed my heavy had the highest leadership
    But did this mean I lost all my heavy skills and weapons for a leaders?
    An argument that went on for years

• Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Asher wrote: »
    Eh, in the current day and age I can certainly see why they would do Necromunda but with real factions. Aside from some of us old grognards, I'm not sure what proportion of the current audience the underhive would resonate with. I still hope that Forgeworld does a "proper" new edition of Necromunda, but Necro-lite with 40k factions could be a good bit of fun.

It's more the rules.

How do you balance a squad of scouts with 10 gangers? One side hits on 5's, wears no armour at all and dies from tripping over a rock. The other are highly trained superhumans that can punch through torsos and wear light power armour. How does that game work? Necomunda worked because everyone started on the same level - shit. The game is more about who fails less, not who was better. It was a place to play games with parts of the 40k universe that didn't fit into a war game. Adding in factions that are super-human, trained/skilled, or have access to reliable equipment is a quick way to make the game not fun (see arbites, redemptionists, spyers, etc)

Necro has been out for decades and no one can get Arbites to work. I don't have faith GW figured out how to balance Delaques, Orks, Marines and Cawdor against eachother in the same game. That is unless they aren't in the same game, then they avoid the problem by keeping factions close in power level and not mixing chuds with demi-gods.

Sharp101 on
    Wait, what was wrong with Redemptionists balance-wise?

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    You know what kills me? The mispronunciation of their fake Latin. It kills me to hear people pronounce "cuss-toads."

...it's actually coos - toh- des.

EDIT: The Squats are back! Eh... kinda?

Mayday on
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Wouldn't it be continental vowel sounds, like "cuss-toe-dace"? Or to put it another way; wouldn't that last syllable be pronounced like 'deus' without the u?

"Cus-to-deez" sounds Greek to me, not Latin. Like Socrates.

Edit: Nevermind, posted before I read Mayday's response.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    The video to it confirms that there's going to be 12 factions; Orcs, Space Marine Scouts, Tau, Necrons, Dark Eldar, Chaos Marines are shown in the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMwIsQQEa4o

It also shows off the terrain which looks rad.

PSN Fleety2009
This discussion has been closed.