As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV:Stormblood] The solution to the MSQ block was so simple. Delete Balmung

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Millage may vary. RNG gonna RNG. Red Cat and I get much less than 1/5.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    You can boost your yields by grouping on using your leves, but yeah otherwise it's a long process. I spent 50 leves trying to get vilekin then just decided to use the rest to help level miner for scrips.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Apparently, the hamsters are getting new digs in May - they're moving Aether to a new location.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    On the 3rd Anima weapon quest, this is where I should spend the poetics I would probably never use right?

• TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Poetics if you're going to cap. Otherwise better off doing the beast tribe dailies for the unidentifiable items. Poetics are in heavy demand for the next big stage unless you have other means to generate a lot of crystal sands.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Hjorvarthr wrote: »
    On the 3rd Anima weapon quest, this is where I should spend the poetics I would probably never use right?

Start running crystal tower now, by the way.

You'll get a weekly quest after you complete all three. The reward is an item you need for the 4th step, and you can save yourself time by saving them up now.

• HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    Poetics if you're going to cap. Otherwise better off doing the beast tribe dailies for the unidentifiable items. Poetics are in heavy demand for the next big stage unless you have other means to generate a lot of crystal sands.

I'm about 500 or so from maxing out poetics, but I've got plenty of trials and such for extra bonuses

that's what I'll be planning do for a bit anyway

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Got seven out of ten runes down.

I can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Its warm. Inviting. Tranquil.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    edited March 2017
    Just remember, the Anima gets off on suffering so allowing a tank to die or pushing a lalafell into the fire is perfectly alright. Encouraged even since I tend to notice Sturdy bonuses when either or both happen.

Takel on
    edited March 2017
    Takel wrote: »
    Just remember, the Anima gets off on suffering so allowing a tank to die or pushing a lalafell into the fire is perfectly alright. Encouraged even since I tend to notice Sturdy bonuses when either or both happen.
    Lalafell sacrifices? That sounds like a waste of good food.

Dr. Chaos on
  • SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Well, they gotta be cooked, right?

• MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Please don't cook mounts.

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    We have Ishgardian Fried Chocobo, we can cook the Lalafel

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Is Diadem DF friendly? The idea of jumping in as a tank with no clue what to do is kind of terrifying.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    Is Diadem DF friendly? The idea of jumping in as a tank with no clue what to do is kind of terrifying.

Yeah. It's just fate grinding, so don't be intimidated. The huge boss monsters that spawn are so swarmed with other players that there's nothing to that either.

Haven't seen an emergency mission, or whatever it's called yet.

• OatsOats Registered User regular
    Dragging a WAR up through the MSQ. Think I'm around level 38 now?

I'm digging the dungeons so far.

Oats wrote: »
    Dragging a WAR up through the MSQ. Think I'm around level 38 now?

I'm digging the dungeons so far.

It's good to axe questions.

I think I need more action bars on screen.

The UI is pretty, and functional but it doesn't do a great job on the UX end.

Oats wrote: »
    I think I need more action bars on screen.

The UI is pretty, and functional but it doesn't do a great job on the UX end.

Are you on KBAM or controller?

KBAM.

There are I think 12 hotbars total? Maybe more. Just go into HUD layout to enable them.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    Yeah, and the 2.5s GCD means clicking stuff is more viable than say WoW.

Having >2 bars with buttons I use reasonably often on is less than ideal, mostly.

They said they're overhauling the ui come 4.0, so that should be interesting.

Job specific ui's has me intrigued.

I'm excited for 4.0, it sounds like there's feedback that's being acted upon intelligently thus far.

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    The MSQ is defeating me.

When you do nothing but MSQ it becomes apparent that 95% of it is fetch quests and long sequences of exposition. At this point I'm just shelling out thousands on constantly teleporting between cities to talk to one person then teleport back again. I'm just trying to unlock the last two dungeons and get to HW.

ugh

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    Rami wrote: »
    The MSQ is defeating me.

When you do nothing but MSQ it becomes apparent that 95% of it is fetch quests and long sequences of exposition. At this point I'm just shelling out thousands on constantly teleporting between cities to talk to one person then teleport back again. I'm just trying to unlock the last two dungeons and get to HW.

ugh
    Hang in there.

Heavensward is worth it.

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    I wish I had a heat map of my last two hours playing.

It is nothing but me running between revenants toll, camp dragonhead, whitebrim front, Gridania, Ul'dah and Limsa Lominsa being everyone's errand bitch.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

It is nothing but me running between revenants toll, camp dragonhead, whitebrim front, Gridania, Ul'dah and Limsa Lominsa being everyone's errand bitch.

My fiancee likes to call FFXIV "Errands: The Game"

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

My fiancee likes to call FFXIV "Errands: The Game"

I mean, that's basically how 90% of RPGs work :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile

Here's some therapy advice: as soon as you get to Ishgard, level DRK. Trust me.

• ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular

My PLD kinda stalled at 40. Haven't tried DRK for real yet.

My PLD kinda stalled at 40. Haven't tried DRK for real yet.

You should. The DRK 30-50 story is...cathartic.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Serve, save, slave, slay

Just imagine if they kept the teleportation costs from 1.0.

Nobody would even be done with the MSQ yet.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    Just imagine if they kept the teleportation costs from 1.0.

Nobody would even be done with the MSQ yet.

Oh fuck no.

Imagine paying three leve allowances every teleport, for those who don't know how it worked.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    edited March 2017
    DRK story is such a cool commentary on the nature of "quests" and "heroes" in JRPGs.

lionheart_m on
    @AngelHedgie Yeah, you've been strongly suggesting I try out DRK.

ponders

• CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    We're so close to reaching Ishgard! So excited to pick up our new classes, finally!

... Like 3 months before even more classes come out >.<

So... How are Astrologians compared with Scholar or White Mage? Because I still greatly prefer Scholar, even if I don't have quite as many powerful spells...

工事中
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    We're so close to reaching Ishgard! So excited to pick up our new classes, finally!

... Like 3 months before even more classes come out >.<

So... How are Astrologians compared with Scholar or White Mage? Because I still greatly prefer Scholar, even if I don't have quite as many powerful spells...

I'm level 51(I think) with my AST, and I still feel overwhelmed at times. I haven't figured out how to get into a groove where I can heal, DPS, and use my cards without panicking when I see an HP bar dropping. Not that that's a fault of the job, mind. I probably just need a ton more practice and advice/tips. But, I do like it, and when I do get into a comfortable rotation I really enjoy it.

SCH for me didn't really click, but I haven't tried it as much. Can't say about WHM, either, I've never used mine.

ASTs..... are healers.... there's really not that much to say about it....

You're better off taking a look and seeing how their toolkit differs from the other two healers.

ASTs have two basic heals which have no barrier component. 400 potency and 650, the same as WHMs
    Their 400 potency heal has a proc, similar to WHMs and unlike SCHs. The proc turns the next 650 potency heal a guaranteed crit, effectively turning it into a guaranteed ~975 potency heal
    They have a 300 potency AoE heal with no barrier effect, which means it can be used to top off health bars similar to Medica, and unlike Succor which cannot be spammed due to the barrier accounting for half its potency.
    The instant heal is a 45s CD and has a value of 400-800 potency, depending on the target's health percentage. Lower = more potency. WHMs have a 700 potency on a 60s CD and SCHs have 600 potency that uses their Aetherflow mechanic

They have 2 primary throughput CDs
    Synastry is a targeted buff on a 90s CD that heals the target for 40% of the value of any single target directed heal you cast during the buff duration in addition to increasing the healing potency of your healing spells by 20%.
    The secondary CD is Lightspeed, a 150s CD that reduces cast time of all spells by 2.5s, reduces their MP cost by 25% and reduces the potency of offensive spells by 25%. This buff does not affect the GCD timer, however, it does allow for the VERY useful benefit of being able to spam Helios WHILE MOVING. Never Ever underestimate the utility of being able to spam AoE heals while moving.

In terms of mitigation CDs, ASTs have two:
    Disable, which is a 60s CD that reduces all damage done by the target by 10% for 6s. There is no analogue to this ability. Traited Virus comes close, but that doesn't affect Darkness typed damage which Disable does.
    Collective Unconscious is a 2min CD, 10% damage reduction buff to anyone affected by its channelled effect. Similar to Sacred Soil, but required the AST to channel the ability and hence can fall foul of the server tick system.

For HoT healing, ASTs have one by default which is appended to their Collective Unconscious ability which has a potency of 150 and lasts for 15s from the last application of the buff. This gives it a maximum duration of 33s or a total potency of 1650 potency if fully channelled.

Diurnal Sect gives the AST two more HoTs:
    Aspected Benefic - 190 initial potency with a 140 potency HoT for 18s. Instant cast. This is similar to Regen which is 150 potency for 21s with no initial potency.
    Aspected Helios - 200 potency AoE heal with a 40 potency HoT for 30s. Similar to Medica II which is also 200 potency initial but 50 potency for 30s.

Nocturne Sect gives two barrier heals in place of the HoT heals.
    Aspected Benefic - 250 potency with a 425 potency barrier/shield. Instant cast. Contrasted to the SCH's Adloquium which is 300 potency heal + barrier effect with a double valued barrier on crit. Yes, Noct Aspected Benefic has 675 potency which gives it a higher base total potency than Benefic II and is instant cast. No it isn't overpowered.
    Aspected Helios - 150 potency AoE heal with a 225 potency barrier. Contrasted with a SCH who has Succor, 150 potency heal and barrier.

Key thing to note: Nocturne Sect grants a +10% bonus to all healing potencies. This means that the barriers on Aspected Benefic and Helios are actually ~468 and ~248 respectively. Synastry and Aspected Helios will grant a 297 potency shield, which is the virtually the same strength as a non-crit deployed Adloquium. The barrier heals on a Noct AST are extremely powerful if you know how to use them.

tldr;
    ASTs have the same raw healing toolkit as a WHM. It gives up Cure III, Benediction, a faster reuse timer on its primary throughput cooldown, Asylum and Eye for an Eye in exchange for a unique mitigation debuff, virtually the same raw HoT performance or a superior shielding performance than a SCH and the best MP regeneration of all the healers.
    Offensively, the AST has the best 2 GCD damage potential of all the healers and has superior AoE DPS to the SCH
    Cards are a whole different beast however it's very easy for a novice AST to perform poorly because they're too busy trying to deal with their cards. At the very least, when a healer is forced to focus on healing 100% of the time, an AST will still be able to provide a greater DPS benefit to the group than any other healer due to the cards and can capitalise best on any short period of time where they don't need to heal.

This discussion has been closed.