As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Borderlands] Sorry, your Vault is on another planet...

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I know I'm getting flak for this but you know what I'm really tired of? People getting offended by everything . I need video games to preach to me like I need political advice from movie stars .

I'm very happy people get offended by things. There's so much to be offended by and it's super important to call that stuff out.

People who are "tired of people getting offended" are most likely speaking from a place of privilege where the issue being spoken of has zero affect on them

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I know I'm getting flak for this but you know what I'm really tired of? People getting offended by everything . I need video games to preach to me like I need political advice from movie stars .
    Omission of culturally toxic things is the opposite of preaching.

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I'm very happy people get offended by things. There's so much to be offended by and it's super important to call that stuff out.

People who are "tired of people getting offended" are most likely speaking from a place of privilege where the issue being spoken of has zero affect on them

Things spoken on video games has zero effect on anything outside the internet. That's the equivalent of assigning real world importance to message board arguments.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Things spoken on video games has zero effect on anything outside the internet. That's the equivalent of assigning real world importance to message board arguments.
    You may wish for it to be, but video games, the internet, and forums aren't things that exist in vacuums. They exist in our reality, informed by it as much as they inform it (via cultural influence).

edited March 2017

You are wrong. Like, ridiculously so.

Magic Pink on

Things spoken on video games has zero effect on anything outside the internet.

Okie dokie going to go find something to be outraged by.

Things spoken on video games has zero effect on anything outside the internet.

Okie dokie going to go find something to be outraged by.

Please do.

• MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Yay! politicize ALL THE THINGS! Outrage for everyone!

Ahem... anyways, back to Borderlands.

Was that Telltale thing any good? It came up on my steam suggestions and I thought about it, but it's Telltale, so you know, didn't seem to be about the shooting and the looting....

It's good fun the writing has some shaky spots but for the most part I enjoyed it.

Tales From the Borderlands has been on my wishlist for a while, I've heard nothing but positive feedback about that game. Which is generally the reputation Telltale has anyway.

If you like tell tale game you will enjoy it . There are some cringy spots which I imagine is more the fact that Burch was a guest writer but like I said above its pretty solid . Plus the music is good.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Massena wrote: »

Ahem... anyways, back to Borderlands.

Was that Telltale thing any good? It came up on my steam suggestions and I thought about it, but it's Telltale, so you know, didn't seem to be about the shooting and the looting....

it was the first Borderlands game i played and completely sold me on a series that i'd had very little interest in previously. i'd say it's well worth a play through.

Massena wrote: »

It has nothing to do with politics. It's about basic human decency and not treating the people that you aren't like shit.

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Tales From the Borderlands has been on my wishlist for a while, I've heard nothing but positive feedback about that game. Which is generally the reputation Telltale has anyway.

Out of the TT games I've played thus far it is my favorite. Your choices play, slightly more, effect on your story. And as a whole some of the events in the game will have an impact on Borderlands moving forward. Its side story for sure. But its an important side story. Like one of those side comics to a bigger story arch.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    BL2 came out riiiiight before awareness / accountability(?) really started to pick up in the industry about that sort of thing. So I'm actually curious to see how they handle BL3 in that regard, like if any lessons were learned and get applied.

I haven't gotten very far into TPS but wouldn't that tell you what you need to know? I know that Torque has that "Friendzone" thing in TPS in which he apologizes for afterward.
    TPS was an outsourced title though, not reflective of Gearbox. So we'll see.

I'm hoping that we see a lot more Torgue, he's a pretty spot-on representation of what gaming culture has been going through.

jothki wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    BL2 came out riiiiight before awareness / accountability(?) really started to pick up in the industry about that sort of thing. So I'm actually curious to see how they handle BL3 in that regard, like if any lessons were learned and get applied.

I haven't gotten very far into TPS but wouldn't that tell you what you need to know? I know that Torque has that "Friendzone" thing in TPS in which he apologizes for afterward.
    TPS was an outsourced title though, not reflective of Gearbox. So we'll see.

I'm hoping that we see a lot more Torgue, he's a pretty spot-on representation of what gaming culture has been going through.
    I'd be happy with that. Though it also has me curious to see representatives of the other weapons manufacturers. Shit's ripe for great characters.

Hoping maliwan or tediore are the next villains . Also hoping rocket launchers are a weapon you can actually use for more then 5 seconds unless you are using a sham. Hell I can go for a rocket launcher based character, all the good explosive builds in 2 focused on grenade damage because of how it double dipped with torgue guns.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Out of the TT games I've played thus far it is my favorite. Your choices play, slightly more, effect on your story. And as a whole some of the events in the game will have an impact on Borderlands moving forward. Its side story for sure. But its an important side story. Like one of those side comics to a bigger story arch.

Tales from the Borderlands is incredibly good. Easily my favorite Telltale game and one of my just plain favorite games overall. I mean, it doesn't have the replaybility or 100s of hours potential of other favorite games like Borderlands (or Civ games or Etrian Odyssey or Puzzle Quest...), but as a single playthrough experience it is sublime.

Loaderbot/Gortys for president 2020!

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Speaking of Tediore, does anyone else like using Tediore weapons? I always try to keep one on all my characters. They're an interesting "OH SHIT" kind of button.

On Gaige I never get their full effect since 'reloading' even a Tediore weapon blows all the anarchy stacks away. But aesthetically it's hilarious to throw exploding weapons on empty clips.

Refuse to use them always have since bl1 where I vendors every Piece of tediore equipment I get. Kinda why I want them to be the bad guys so I can sate my irrational hatred for them by murdering them.

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Speaking of Tediore, does anyone else like using Tediore weapons? I always try to keep one on all my characters. They're an interesting "OH SHIT" kind of button.

On Gaige I never get their full effect since 'reloading' even a Tediore weapon blows all the anarchy stacks away. But aesthetically it's hilarious to throw exploding weapons on empty clips.

I had a T8 Refilling Baby Maker. Fire once and throw the whole gun at something to act as the games most insane cluster bomb. It did stupid damage and slowly reloaded its ammo supply.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

I'm guessing from how little they learned from bl1 to bl2...

That's highly unfair.

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I like Moxxi as a character.
    Is she a sexist joke of a rather unflattering stereotype?
    Yes.
    But, i think she is more than just that, she has depth (as much as anyone in the game has), she has her own character arc over BL 1 and 2.
    Sure she is a horrible person, just like pretty much everyone in Pandora, but she is a good character.
    The game does not judge her, nor do the characters (except Mordekai, but he's a drunken asshole still bitter over the divorce).
    And let's not forget BL2 also brought us Tiny Tina and Ellie, who were awesome characters in their own right.
    And Gaige, who while maybe intended as the "girlfriend" character, never felt like one to me (for one, i don't have the metal bits, or the mustache, to compete with Sir Havelock).

Moxxi has room to grow into more than what she was started as.

My Gaige has Tediore shotgun with acid effect, i get 3 shots and then it's reload time.
    But damn those 3 shots pack a punch at 400 stacks o.0

Tina and Ellie were cancer and the reason why there needs to be a kill everyone mode . Hmm I actually wonder how you would implement a mode like that in what amounts to a dungeon crawler. Gaige however was cool.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

I'm the type of player that habitually reloads even if there are 99% rounds remaining in the magazine. This made me extremely incompatible with Tediore's gimmick.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Tina and Ellie were cancer and the reason why there needs to be a kill everyone mode . Hmm I actually wonder how you would implement a mode like that in what amounts to a dungeon crawler. Gaige however was cool.

dis
    a
    gree

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    GONG-00 wrote: »

I'm the type of player that habitually reloads even if there are 99% rounds remaining in the magazine. This made me extremely incompatible with Tediore's gimmick.
    That fits in with the Tediore gimmick more than anything though. The more ammo remaining in the magazine, the stronger the explosion of the weapon.

Moxxi has room to grow into more than what she was started as.
    Agree.
    And she did grow between from what she was in 1 to what she became in 2, and i hope she comes back in 3, keeps on growing, and giving me quests.

Deadfall wrote: »

dis
    a
    gree

And that's fine but for me they are kind of the best examples of why I disliked most of the bl2 characters. More torgue and scarlet and Aubrey and less of that garbage. Unless you are disagree that Gaige is cool then I just don't know what to say.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

That fits in with the Tediore gimmick more than anything though. The more ammo remaining in the magazine, the stronger the explosion of the weapon.

Guessing you never played Anarchy builds then!

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

I'm a compulsive reloader as well, which I think is why I might have bounced off Gaige previously. This go around, though, I'm not having a problem with it. I think I've only accidentally pissed away a sweet stack of anarchy a couple of times through 22 levels so far.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    It's only a problem at the beginning after that discord prevents you from losing all your stacks . You could always just shoot the ground and reload that way.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

It consumes the remaining ammo for those stronger explosions...stronger explosions that eat ammo and tended to be aimed at nothing in particular due to my reload habits.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Tina was fantastic in her dlc.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Guessing you never played Anarchy builds then!
    I mentioned in an earlier post that I have and never reload but like the weapon being thrown away on empty clips.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Tina was fantastic in her dlc.

Absolutely. I hated Tina in the campaign, but her DLC seriously made me fall in love with her.

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I appreciate a range of characters with different levels of dedication to play well. The idea of a character for casual players to experience the same content is healthy for this game.

Calling them a girlfriend character, even if that is technically the biggest demographic that would play her, is difficult to defend. Such a comment is a disservice to girlfriends who can play just fine, and to players who can't play as well that they must be girlfriends. It's unaware of the reality of the players.

VRXwDW7.png
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    I appreciate a range of characters with different levels of dedication to play well. The idea of a character for casual players to experience the same content is healthy for this game.

Calling them a girlfriend character, even if that is technically the biggest demographic that would play her, is difficult to defend. Such a comment is a disservice to girlfriends who can play just fine, and to players who can't play as well that they must be girlfriends. It's unaware of the reality of the players.

I didn't even know what a girlfriend character was until you just explained it. The idea that my wife would need an ez-mode character just to play with me is so alien.

This discussion has been closed.