As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Skaven eat cheese (when they are given it).

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    So I've got the Stormcast Battletome - very pretty!

It has the pitched battle points in the back, it give you the minimum and maximum numbers of models per unit and one points cost. For example it says Liberators min = 5 models and max = 20 models and the points value = 100.

So does that mean regardless of the size of the unit the points value stays the same? In this case it's a 100 points for 5 liberators or 20?

SharpyVII on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    So I've got the Stormcast Battletome - very pretty!

It has the pitched battle points in the back, it give you the minimum and maximum numbers of models per unit and one points cost. For example it says Liberators min = 5 models and max = 20 models and the points value = 100.

So does that mean regardless of the size of the unit the points value stays the same? In this case it's a 100 points for 5 liberators or 20?

No. It's 100 per every 1-5 models. The General's Handbook clarifies it pretty succinctly, it's a good idea to grab a copy (it's cheap) if you're interested in Matched Play.

EDIT: Also there's scrollbuilder to help slap together army lists. It's not 100% complete but it's being actively developed and he's reasonably quick to add new stuff. The new Stormcast points were added when they leaked.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    @Arch This is strictly hypothetical, but how viable would it be to just attach two of those 1,000 point armies that are part of the same 'grand alliance' together for a 2,000 point army?

Also, what's a typical game's point size for AoS? Last time I looked at that for 40K I was seeing people say 2,000-2,500.

It depends. If it's legal, it wouldn't be too bad. That is, if there are enough faction-agnostic battleline choices (so like , clanrats or something for chaos).

Also, re:points I guess it depends. I think most tournaments are 2k, but I've seen 1k tournaments.

My local game store does "escalation weekends" where the first Saturday a month is 500 points and then it goes up from there each week.

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    So I threw a ton of dusty models on eBay to clear some space and unfortunately saw too good a deal to pass up with my freshly fattened PayPal account. Bought about 70 painted skeletons, skeleton Knights and skeleton kings, so now I apparently have a death rattle army.

Which makes me wonder, what are everyone's thoughts on buying painted models? Personally, I love painting and modeling, my favorite part of the hobby. But batch painting a horde army just kills me inside, and I will never be able to field a large fully painted army without filling in the blanks with someone else's work on the grunts. A smaller elite army that you can personalize individually, yeah that's all me. But there's only so much you can do with a skeleton.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • ManOHokutoManOHokuto Knight of the Bloody Fist Registered User regular
    I recently bought a painted goblin shaman for about 10 bucks but it's mostly because they only seem to have been made in metal or resin which i don't have the patience to work with otherwise I usually look for assembled and primed stuff on ebay. I like putting stuff together and painting but priming is my least favorite part of the hobby mostly because I'm bad at it.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Personally I find a lot of the fun in the hobby in the painting side over the gaming, but I'm never going to begrudge anyone preferring to just pick up models already painted.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Got demolished by a beautifully painted Ironjaws force over the weekend.

C6u2NaKU0AA-762.jpg
    C6u2m2jV4AA5rra.jpg
    C6u2h8XV0AEYPI8.jpg
    C6u2poZV4AA-0Vo.jpg:large

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    Kharadron Overlords

GAMA-KO-BrokkGrungsson-Content.jpg
    GAMA-KO-ArkanautFrigate-Content.jpg
    GAMA-KO-ArkanautCompany-Content.jpg
    GAMA-KO-Endrinmaster-Content.jpg

More pics at the link

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhh I guess I'm redoing my two 40K squat armies now....

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Wait... are they clockwork dwarves? Their beards and faces look metal, or are those supposed to be bizarrely form-fitting masks?

Edit: went back and skimmed the linked article; still flesh-and-blood dwarves, just wearing full-body protective outfits to avoid exposure-effects of magic.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Ah geez those would make amazing counts-as guys for any number of 40k armies.
    Steampunk is kind of unfair, it's this sort of nebulous fake technology that can fit in almost any point in time.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    def getting those guys to pair with my fyreslayers

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Badablack wrote: »
    Ah geez those would make amazing counts-as guys for any number of 40k armies.
    Steampunk is kind of unfair, it's this sort of nebulous fake technology that can fit in almost any point in time.

I could definitely see using them as counts-as space marine armies (especially with that chainsword the guy with the balloon backpack is holding), but what else would you use them for?

Edit:
    Arch wrote: »
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhh I guess I'm redoing my two 40K squat armies now....

Nah, man. Your counts-as Space Wolves themed 40K dwarves look awesome. This just gives you something in the queue for later. They can be the Iron Hands or Ad-Mech to your Space Wolves (and I think you said you'd done a counts-as Salamanders one previously?). It'd be like a dwarf empire with different armies from different regions/sub-cultures.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    They look like good proxies and conversion material for inquisition and admech.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Haha, I'm not sure they could have designed an army that appeals less to my particular aesthetic tastes!
    Still, a few of my friends are into them, and I'm sure they're not alone, so fair's fair I guess. Looks like they may have an interesting play-style in any case.

edited March 2017
    I just realized, in a WH40K context, those steampunk dwarves become short, stout aliens in full-body atmospheric suits with gasmasks...
    p5aqy8yoqu6m.jpg
    :P

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Bought some the new stormcast stuff, the big crossbow guys and the griffin riders.

These are some fantastic models , I'm tempted to pick up the vanguard hunters too, the models are so much more dynamic than the first wave of stormcasts (though I've come to really like those too).

In general the stormcasts as a range have really grown on me.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Awesome. I like the gyro-levisphere dealing aesthetic, and how it works with airships and jumppacks.

And yeah, I'm thinking it will not be hard to convert these guys to squat/demiurg, so some 40K players will probably be happy. That was probably intentional. Well played, GW.

H9f4bVe.png
    edited March 2017
    Honestly? For 40K I think it would maybe be fun to roleplay them as a civilization of hand-crafted robots, their first generations having been the sole remnants of an alien race that was destroyed. They continue to build and develop, both for their own sake and to preserve what they can of their creators in a galaxy hostile to reason, hope, or natural life. That's why they are big on tradition, and their aesthetics are throwbacks to their creator's culture.

Basically dwarves as robots. The idea of dwarves as intelligently designed servitors is kinda from Warcraft.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Honestly? For 40K I think it would maybe be fun to roleplay them as a civilization of hand-crafted robots, their first generations having been the sole remnants of an alien race that was destroyed. They continue to build and develop, both for their own sake and to preserve what they can of their creators in a galaxy hostile to reason, hope, or natural life. That's why they are big on tradition, and their aesthetics are throwbacks to their creator's culture.

Basically dwarves as robots. This may be a Warcraft influence.

With the top hats and monacles, this just makes me think of:
    banner.jpg

website_header.jpg
    edited March 2017
    I have no idea what that is from?

Nevermind, looked it up. Didn't know that was a game.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »

banner.jpg

Has anyone actually played this game? I remember when it crazy out but never heard anything else.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

Basically dwarves as robots. The idea of dwarves as intelligently designed servitors is kinda from Warcraft.

40K is lacking a good true AI race.

Huh. Wonder if the Black Crusade stuff might convince some rogue magos to bust out some Men of Iron in an effort to fight Chaos.

H9f4bVe.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Koreg wrote: »
    McGibs wrote: »

banner.jpg

Has anyone actually played this game? I remember when it crazy out but never heard anything else.

I have for a few but I really put away my steam account for various reasons and have not looked at it since

• ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    So I finished putting together the storm of Sigmar set (no paint yet), and decided to play though the included battle plans solo.

First, the rules seem to lend themselves well for solo play when you want to relax by yourself. Second, are the Stormcast supposed to be obliterating the chaos guys this much? I've only played the first two plans, but both Retributors and Liberators tear through the Bloodreavers like paper!

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
    edited March 2017
    wrong thread

honovere on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Bloodreavers are completely useless on their own in small numbers. In larger packs with heroes to buff them they get real nasty real quick.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    Ah like zerglings heh

Looking forward to digging into the full starter set, should be interesting. I wish they included the battle scroll cards there as well, but it looks like the only full set is the Stormcast one so far.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Speaking of, I tripped and fell into the FLGS.

1jxCuUal.jpg

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2017
    So they've mentioned "Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire".
    This is a new game, set in the Mortal Realms during the Age of Sigmar. It has been designed specifically for competitive, organised play, to support our growing community of gamers out there. For the moment, pretty much all we have in terms of detail is the cryptic video above, but you’ll be hearing much more about this new game, and seeing some of the new miniatures, very soon…

I have no idea what any of that means. My first guess based on the name alone would something like the AoS version of Mordheim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20NpoQtr9n8

Echo on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    esports is my guess

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    The name sounds Mordheim-y, the blurb sounds like the opposite of Mordheim.

40K just announced Shadow War: Armageddon and refers to it as a sort of Necromunda-ish game - the similar name with Shadowspire makes me wonder if it will be an AoS counter-part to Shadow War. Could also be another adventure title, like Silver Tower.

H9f4bVe.png
    I think the adventure style games would all be bundled under the Warhammer Quest title probably?

Some sort of skirmish-level play rules would be my guess.

Makes sense. If it's related to the Realm of Shadows portrayed in AoS, the place is supposedly big on shadowy undercities run by criminal enterprises, so the 'Underworlds' title might fit in well with that.

H9f4bVe.png
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Interestingly, its also called "Warhammer" instead of "Age of Sigmar"

website_header.jpg
    AoS is still called Warhammer. It was the "Fantasy Battles" part that changed

But it is odd that it doesn't have the AoS subtitle.

I'm sure this isn't the case, but wouldn't it be weird if they were to add a third concurrent WH universe? Because the logo looks like it's "Warhammer Underworlds: Shadowspire" and not "Warhammer: Underworlds Shadowspire".

camo_sig2-400.png
    Warhammer Quest is still AoS tho, and doesn't use the AoS name anywhere in the title.
    I'll bet GW just made up a cool name, rather than leaving any clues to the lore in their branding.

We'll find out I guess! It sounds interesting, whatever it turns out to be.

You can't always throw in the full title of things or you get the messy colon explosion of stuff like World of Darkness: Vampire: the Masquerade: Bloodlines: Remastered.

This discussion has been closed.