As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BattleTech] The Clan Wait-vasion

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I might be persuaded to run something this Thursday, yeah :D

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    To my knowledge, no. One ton and crit for every four (or five) tons of compatible weaponry, or fraction thereof.
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    That's what I thought. Shoot, gonna be a pain having to remember to leave 1 crit/1 ton open since it's not making them as big as they're supposed to be.

It gets even weirder. I haven't tested it enough to reverse-engineer how it's figuring the tons/crits out, but sometimes it rounds up correctly, and other times it doesn't. Any time it should be 4/4 it's correct, it seems. But I've had it go 1/1 or 2/2 when it should be +1 to each on a number of different designs I was trying to put together.

I still really like Remlab as a free browser-based tabletop rules unit garage, but it's worth noting that you'll want to watch its calculations.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Nips wrote: »
    I might be persuaded to run something this Thursday, yeah :D

But it will be the last chance for us to run under the old MWO rules...

Edit: Didn't read the MWO news. MM away!

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    I think I'm going to push a MM game off to next week, to put some time into creating a decent scenario (and install MM on my laptop). Plus there seems to be a push to murder dudes with missiles in MWO this week, which is hard to pass up.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    What's more interesting to me is initially there were 17 extant Clans when they were introduced, and there are 17 weight classes (20-100) in traditional gameplay. I'm surprised the initial line-up of Omnis weren't just totems for each Clan.

So I was thinking about the above post I made in the MWO thread. Here's the Clans that existed by the mid-31st century:
    1. Blood Spirit: Crusader, extreme isolationists with few resources but top-notch warriors
    2. Burrock: Crusader, expert bandit hunters (with extensive ties to the Dark Caste), periodically shifted tactical doctrine to surprise foes
    3. Cloud Cobra: Warden, Aerospace Fighter focused warrior-monks with a cosmopolitan mixture of different religious sects
    4. Coyote: Warden, created omnis, native (North) American-themed, former leading power. Prefer big slow heavily armed mechs
    5. Diamond Shark: Warden, formerly (and eventually) known as Sea Fox; mercantile space fleets.
    6. Fire Mandrill: Crusader, fragmented into many 'kindraa', that spent more time fighting eachother than anyone else
    7. Ghost Bear: Crusader (initially, shifted later), conservatives who are big on family and community
    8. Goliath Scorpion: Warden, Wandering seekers of Star League artifacts who used drugs to induce prophetic visions, strict adherents of zellbrigen
    9. Hell's Horses: mixed (Crusader leadership, Warden majority), Combined arms with conventional vehicles, believe in caste & ____born equality, invented Elementals
    10. Ice Hellion: Crusader, reckless aggressors prone to biting off more than they can chew, prefer light mechs & fast mediums
    11. Jade Falcon: Crusader, rigid traditionalists who see themselves as the Wolves' rival, very belligerent, favor blitzkrieg attacks on enemy command or main forces
    12. Nova Cat: Crusader (initially, shifted later), aloof mystics prone to sudden and perplexing shifts in policy and allegiance
    13. Smoke Jaguar: Crusader, Oppressive warmongers who brutally suppressed the lower castes and conquered Inner Sphere civilians
    14. Snow Raven: neutral (later Warden), cagey mercenary expert space navy & aerospace force
    15. Star Adder: Crusader, pragmatic conservatives known for strong strategic planning but blunt tactics
    16. Steel Viper: mixed (Warden leadership, Crusader majority), less extreme version of Blood Spirits, sensible tactics but rigid & inflexible command structure
    17. Wolf: Warden, pragmatic liberals known for cautiously probing situations initially, but taking quick decisive action once a plan was formed, invented Elemental armor
    For curiosity's sake, the remaining three clans which were long gone by the time of the invasion were:
    1. Mongoose: absorbed (destroyed really) by the Smoke Jaguars long before the political divisions of the invasion question when the other clans got tired of their constant mugging attacks and political manipulations
    2. Widowmaker: absorbed (destroyed really) by the Wolves long before the political divisions of the invasion question when their sakhan (Vice President) accidentally headshot Nicholas Kerensky's mech during a trial he was refereeing, instantly killing the Clans' founder. Implied to have been running an extensive black ops organization for Nicholas during the early years (among other things, potentially even framing the Wolverines for the incident that led to their annihilation).
    3. Wolverine: Annihilated by a joint force of clans shortly after their conquest of the Pentagon Worlds due to the use of a nuclear device to destroy a genetic repository of Clan Snow Raven following disputes over the distribution of war materiel formerly belonging to commands whose personnel had primarily become Wolverines.
    Some of the original omnimechs kind of are totems, but not all of them, and others are kind of muddled as to who they are supposed to represent. Here's that list:
    Clan mech: IS reporting name
    • Fire Moth: Dasher, 20 tons - self-explanatory
    • Mist Lynx: Koshi, 25 tons - little death in Japanese
    • Kit Fox: Uller, 30 tons - a germanic god of hunting; a scout mech with a big long range gun
    • Adder: Puma, 35 tons - ?
    • Viper: Dragonfly, 40 tons - for the way it darts around the battlefield
    • Ice Ferret: Fenris, 45 tons - a wolf of significance in Norse myths
    • Nova: Blackhawk, 50 tons - ?
    • Storm Crow: Ryoken, 55 tons - 'hunting dog' in Japanese
    • Mad Dog: Vulture, 60 tons - hunched shoulders appearance
    • Hellbringer: Loki, 65 tons - partnered to the Thor, uses electronics warfare
    • Summoner: Thor, 70 tons - obviously inspired by the Thunderbolt
    • Timberwolf: Mad Cat, 75 tons - Catapault (CAT) with Marauder (MAD) arms and tonnage
    • Gargoyle: Man o War, 80 tons - ?
    • Warhawk: Masakari, 85 tons - named after a kind of Japanese battle axe
    • Executioner: Gladiator, 95 tons - IS boggled by purpose for an assault with MASC
    • Dire Wolf: Daishi, 100 tons - great death in Japanese
    As far as I know, there was no 90 ton omni in the original Clan line-up.

So, here's a fun thought exercise: if you were designing the initial Clan mech line-up for their introduction to the IP, and were told to make them all totems for the clans of that era, which would you change, which would you keep as is, and what would you do for the 90-ton mech?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I like your summary. I'd also modify Coyote to include something about the scientist caste conspiracy.

What is this I don't even.
    edited March 2017
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I like your summary. I'd also modify Coyote to include something about the scientist caste conspiracy.

Honestly, most of that was from memory with some quick spot-checking on Sarna. The scientist conspiracy was something that came in after I'd sort of fallen off the wagon for a while, so I really don't know much more than the early teases that cropped up in one of Robert Thurston's books were Horse (a freeborn Jade Falcon warrior) was sent to the Jade Falcon base on Huntress (pre-Task Force Serpent) where they were testing a LAM to investigate, and found clues that they were secretly trading gene samples with other Clans.

Edit: In point of fact, I greatly misremembered the little bit about the scientist caste conspiracy I did know when I originally made this post apparently.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    So a package showed up in the mail today!
    IMG_20170316_140837553.jpg

I wonder what this is?
    IMG_20170316_141000221.jpg

Hello, sailor.
    IMG_20170316_141217262.jpg

Unless I'm off my mark, that's an IK MWO-model Dragon. 'Tis a fine looking rig, one that @DaMoonRulz would be proud of!

Looking forward to putting this little bad-boy together (and finding him a spot in my rosters)! Thanks, @Betsuni!

Glad to see that the Clanners did not intercept the dropship on entry. Yep that the IK Dragon to add to your King Crab.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    So a package showed up in the mail today!
    IMG_20170316_140837553.jpg

I wonder what this is?
    IMG_20170316_141000221.jpg

Hello, sailor.
    IMG_20170316_141217262.jpg

Unless I'm off my mark, that's an IK MWO-model Dragon. 'Tis a fine looking rig, one that @DaMoonRulz would be proud of!

Looking forward to putting this little bad-boy together (and finding him a spot in my rosters)! Thanks, @Betsuni!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I really want to order some of those, but when I went to put together an order earlier it totaled out to like $100 so I had to walk back from the edge.

What is this I don't even.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I really want to order some of those, but when I went to put together an order earlier it totaled out to like $100 so I had to walk back from the edge.

I did a slow bleed ordering from him. The shipping is expensive since he has to toss it over a long distance.

So far I have assembled: Catapult, King Crab, Warhammer (new), and Timber Wolf (new). I posed photos of the Catapult and King Crab a while ago and need to take photos of the Warhammer and Timber Wolf. The Timber Wolf came with an insane amount of parts for multiple variants.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Friend Oosiks!

In just a few hours, I will once again be running a MegaMek game for the amusement and enjoyment of our master tacticians.

Tonight, we join Operation Bulldog, in the Smoke Jaguar Kicking-In-Of-Teeth.

See you in Vent at 7:30PM Central!

I'll be in Power Rangers :(

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Sorry I missed this earlier. Was having dinner, or I'd have asked what all I needed to know to watch. I don't wanna bother you while it's underway, but afterwards I'd be much obliged if you would let me know how to join in for the future.

camo_sig2-400.png
    Will do! The next time I will run MegaMek is probably two or three weeks from now. I'll write up a short primer post for next time.

edited March 2017
    Awesome. I had MegaMek on a different computer several years ago, but I only ever putzed around in matches vs AI. I'd need to install a Java Runtime Environment for it, right?

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Yeah, it runs on JRE.

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    My local group just started our new Wars of Reaving campaign today. We're a six-pack of Trueborn and just underwent our Trial of Position today.

Me and my Shadowhawk IIC (Standard) actually did fairly well, bringing down my first opponent within three turns while taking little damage. Didn't do so well against our next, a Stormcrow-B minus its AC-20 arm. Amusingly, the third pair's battle lasted well over thirty turns. The winner of that fight took off that Stormcrow's other arm within one more turn, taking the title of Star Commander for our campaign.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    So new update from HBS. Linked since I'm on my phone.

Notes: No update on beta date, but working is going smooth. New game screenshots to look at in the meantime.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech/posts/1838879?ref=backer_project_update

oosik_betsuni.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    So pretty!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Oh hey, they got stackpole writing some novelles. He's pretty much a fixture in battletech books, but he wrote the clan invasion books and Vlad's rise to ilkhan of the wolves so it'll be good I bet.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    Oh hey, they got stackpole writing some novelles. He's pretty much a fixture in battletech books, but he wrote the clan invasion books and Vlad's rise to ilkhan of the wolves so it'll be good I bet.

Yep, that was one reason I put in for that backer level. I remember reading his books long ago and enjoying them.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    HBS Battletech Story Trailer!!!

https://youtu.be/gJO-DkDfHZk

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »
    HBS Battletech Story Trailer!!!

https://youtu.be/gJO-DkDfHZk

You son of a...

You know what? I blame myself. I clicked the button and remembered the date too late.
    Pretty sure that's my fault.

What's even worse is that this isn't going to end with today. The shenanigans will continue through the weekend and probably well into Monday before the internet has had it's fill.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    So, there are three upcoming classic Battletech tournaments coming up at my local boardgame convention.

First tournament is Jihad Era tech, 5 mech maximum, 2000 points.

Second tournament is 3025 Era tech, 5 mech maximum, 2000 points.

Third tournament is Clan Invasion Era Tech, 5 mech maximum, 2000 points.

All point values to be based on http://www.masterunitlist.info

Who wants to help me make some broken ass lists?

Edit: Man, 2000 points is not a lot. I guess that explains how they want each tournament to be three games in three hours.

Inquisitor on
    Since I have no idea about the Jihad Era I can't help you there... But for the 3025 era you could be funny and run 5 Wasp 1As or 1Ks. I was going to say 4 Locust 3Vs but if you're in an Urban environment the Wasps would do better. Plus you can do some jump kicks or DFAs with them.

oosik_betsuni.png
    How many urbies can you cram into 2000 points?
    Because I'm pretty sure the correct answer is Urbanmechs.

see317 wrote: »
    How many urbies can you cram into 2000 points?
    Because I'm pretty sure the correct answer is Urbanmechs.

I was going to suggest that (I think it is 4), but figured if he is at a tournament that the others would hate him for not being able to move into combat range till the next day.

oosik_betsuni.png
    As much as there's a bunch of joke suggestions up ^there^, there's actually a solid strategy behind some of those: Wolf Pack Light Swarms.

Find yourself some solid middle-speed Light 'Mechs with punchy loadouts and halfway decent armor, and just fucking Zerg swarm that shit. Unless there's a force-balancing modifier or requirement for number of individual units, I think you want to be spreading your BV out as much as possible to as many separate units as you can field.

This is actually an acknowledged problem with the Alpha Strike rules; Light Swarms are completely dominant over heavier-but-less-numerous formations, or even mixed-formation force builds. The same problem applies in Classic BT, but because of the extra level of detail and randomness on how damage is handled, the fatter units usually have a longer lifespan. Usually.

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    As much as there's a bunch of joke suggestions up ^there^, there's actually a solid strategy behind some of those: Wolf Pack Light Swarms.

Find yourself some solid middle-speed Light 'Mechs with punchy loadouts and halfway decent armor, and just fucking Zerg swarm that shit. Unless there's a force-balancing modifier or requirement for number of individual units, I think you want to be spreading your BV out as much as possible to as many separate units as you can field.

This is actually an acknowledged problem with the Alpha Strike rules; Light Swarms are completely dominant over heavier-but-less-numerous formations, or even mixed-formation force builds. The same problem applies in Classic BT, but because of the extra level of detail and randomness on how damage is handled, the fatter units usually have a longer lifespan. Usually.

It is really hard to find units with BV that low that are decent speed, punchy and any armor at all. Pick one. Two if you are lucky.

Even a Commando 1D runs 558 points. Which might not be a bad mech to consider. It has papermache armor and no jump jets but a hell of a punch for a 3025 era light mech. A Javelin costs a bit more (594) and gives up a little firepower in exchange for jump jets.

The Panther 9R is just about the creme of that bunch but costs 769.

At just 504 points I would seriously consider an Urbanmech as well.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    For 3025: Five Wasp WSP-1A's, using the 80 spare BV to bump up skills.

This gives you a spread of five Medium Lasers and five SRM-2s on a series of 6/9/6 chassis with 70% armor coverage each. It's a bit of a compromise, but I'd have no hard feelings rolling this out.

And yeah, 2k BV isn't much to work with. Disgustingly enough, you can get up to a hundred-tonner under that value; hell an AS7-D fits. Knowing that, I'm not sure how I'd feel about five Wasps versus a single fatty in this case. I think it comes down to what kind of battlefield conditions and mission requirements you're expecting to deal with.

edited May 2017
    A pair of Chargers.
    I'm guessing at that point value you're going to be fighting a lot of lighter mechs, so having an 80 ton punching bot or two could really play to your advantage. Assuming they can close range, anyway.

see317 on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Especially in an urban environment I'd wager an AS7-D against 5 wasps. Hell, probably a company of wasps. It has two weapons that will cripple one in a single hit (the AC20 and its foot), rear firing lasers so you can't try to stay behind the thing and an LRM20 if they try to stand off. And max armor for a 100 tonner.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    @Nips

Kickstarter

Beta Date! Gameplay Video! New Partnership! Exclamation Points!!!
    Posted by Harebrained Schemes LLC (Creator)
    Hey everyone, Mitch here.
    I’m happy to tell you that our Kickstarter Backer Beta is on track for release on June 1st. The game’s looking good, playing well, and the team is firing on all cylinders but we need to take some more time to further test and bugfix our multiplayer code before confidently releasing the beta into your hands - that way, we can minimize networking issues and everyone can have a good time on day one.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    A paradox battletech game that is a mix between CK2 and Stellaris is all I want.

If I'm not playing this game June 1, I'm going to be crying big fat man-baby tears

3basnids3lf9.jpg