As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars: X-wing Miniatures Game] Finish What You Start! (Your collection.)

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Wait. Rockets are immune to ypur opponent screwing with your dice.

Thats huge.

is it, though

most mitigation comes from defense die manipulation

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head that this would affect is R7 Astromech.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    The Aggressor looks like a Defender and Fighter crashed together and kept flying.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    The Aggressor looks like a Defender and Fighter crashed together and kept flying.
    How so?
    l960lgjv0at0.jpg

To me the Defender looks like an Interceptor with the two wing-pylons shifted down maybe twenty or thirty degrees to make room for a third on top. Oh, and the wing panels' are inside-out.
    bwswx67jax94.jpg
    sxav2uaophcl.png

Whereas the Aggressor is straight-up a Tie Advanced with a turret on the back of the extended fuselage, and the wing panels cut into a rearwards taper to give the turret a clear field of view.
    04k6jfwipi47.png
    f83zic9ykm82.jpg

I mean comparing the Aggressor to either the Fighter or Defender, the fuselage is shaped differently, the pylons are shaped differently, the panels don't look like either's... Neither the fighter nor the Defender have a turret... there's no third pylon & wing panel to suggest a Defender's influence... I'm seriously wondering if you're thinking of a different TIE altogether?
    vaax25xg4il6.jpg
    Maybe the Oppressor (third row, second from the left)?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    TIE Advance and the TIE Defender look like they are named wrong. The TIE Advance looks beefer to me than the Defender, which looks more striker like.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    TIE Advance and the TIE Defender look like they are named wrong. The TIE Advance looks beefer to me than the Defender, which looks more striker like.

Now that I definitely agree with.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    At least we can agree that they all look better than the TIE Raptor.
    Right? We can agree on that much?

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    At least we can agree that they all look better than the TIE Raptor.
    Right? We can agree on that much?

The TIE Raptor is what you get when designers turn on noclip.

If it was just the droid, it would be fine, but as a piloted craft, fuck no.

I still think they should add the Chiss Clawcraft...
    6qgfa4g5jwrk.jpg

...and Chir'daki.
    ox91y9cxyyo3.jpg

Also, the X-83 Twintail...
    bdidhjwcehrm.jpg

and TIE Predator from the Star Wars Legacy comics.
    3hk60tb9873s.jpg

camo_sig2-400.png
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    really I just want a single small-base imperial ship that isn't a tie fighter

edited March 2017

w92xjgqb8spd.png
    So the Starwing Assault Gunboat or the Cygnus Missile Boat from TIE Fighter? I'm not sure if they'd be a small base or not, I think they're smaller than the shuttle.
    zb9vbw2k53tf.jpg

Only other Imp I can think of is the A-9 Vigilance interceptor.
    ofmrn86cz426.jpg

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Your wish is granted.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    edited March 2017
    Huh, didn't know the Imps used the V-Wing. That's originally a clone-wars era Republic fighter though, right?

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited March 2017
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Huh, didn't know the Imps used the V-Wing. That's originally a clone-wars era Republic fighter though, right?

Yeah. They probably did that since it was pretty much the Emperor's Republic when they first showed the V-Wing on screen.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

yeah, after the republic became the empire they just repainted a lot of their military hardware until it was replaced with stuff like tie fighters and star destroyers

w92xjgqb8spd.png
    So the Starwing Assault Gunboat or the Cygnus Missile Boat from TIE Fighter? I'm not sure if they'd be a small base or not, I think they're smaller than the shuttle.

*snip*

yeah that's the one I'd like to see more than any other

size-wise it's 10 by 15 meters, which puts it about on par with other small-base ships

Shorty on
    edited March 2017
    You know, I tend to forget about the Starwing, but it's actually pretty cool. Dunno how well it'd work in this game, but it would be neat to see it show up as a mini.

I think part of the compulsion behind making the Empire's stuff look so same-y is to tie into the whole fascist conformity narrative theme they have going on. Just like how all the troopers' armor and other servicemen uniforms look so similar.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    You know, I tend to forget about the Starwing, but it's actually pretty cool. Dunno how well it'd work in this game, but it would be neat to see it show up as a mini.
    I'd guess it's be pretty much the same as a Y-wing, only with a cannon slot instead of a turret. Seem to recall it had really similar stats to the Y-wings in the TIE fighter game.

I was actually thinking it'd be more like a b-wing

torpedo slots, a cannon, something like 3/2/4/4 stats, a slow dial on the stiff side but with red turns so they're there in a pinch

but at this point it seems like the designers are done exploring that kind of basic design space so if it gets made I'd expect it has a title and some weirdness to go along with it

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    So they're totally going to fix this in a FAQ, but...

The TIE Aggressor can equip the IG-2000 title?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    zceptor.jpg

edited March 2017
    Brainleech wrote: »
    zceptor.jpg

I'm honestly kind of surprised they haven't added any uglies for the Scum & Villainy faction. It seems like one of the more memorable additions from the Star Wars EU; a collection of varying franken-fighters.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    The one thing that annoys me is that for the Synched turret art they chose the one turret that cannot possibly synch with the primary armament in any meaningful way because the hull blocks its field of fire.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    I will point out that the last two issues of Poe Dameron's comic run have included "Uglies" in service of a crime lord. So, they are "real" in universe now.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Chrysis wrote: »
    The one thing that annoys me is that for the Synched turret art they chose the one turret that cannot possibly synch with the primary armament in any meaningful way because the hull blocks its field of fire.

You would think someone would have pointed that out and modified the design to be slightly elevated.

4dm3dwuxq302.png

It may need a FAQ because people are going to try to pull it off, but it's very obvious that it's not supposed to.

It may need a FAQ because people are going to try to pull it off, but it's very obvious that it's not supposed to.

It works under the rules written to support TIE mods and Youngster. Without a FAQ it's technically following the rules.

I agree its clearly not intended.

It works under the rules written to support TIE mods and Youngster. Without a FAQ it's technically following the rules.

I agree its clearly not intended.

Actually a very easy fix would be to abbreviate the "Aggressor" on the TIE Aggressor Pilot cards to something like "Aggr." or something, then there's precedent with TIE/x1 not working on the TAP.

Brainleech wrote: »
    zceptor.jpg

I'm honestly kind of surprised they haven't added any uglies for the Scum & Villainy faction. It seems like one of the more memorable additions from the Star Wars EU; a collection of varying franken-fighters.

I don't know how they would work in the rules of the game and still have the uniqueness of uglies where you could have two ships using roughly the same base components but being radically different in flight profile/weapon load.
    Do you give them a low initial cost with a bunch of upgrade slots/unique titles? Seems like the possibility of an insanely broken combination goes up exponentially the more customization options you give the player.
    Do you just make a basic X-TIE fighter (or other ugly of your choice) and treat it like it was a production model? Where they all have the same basic flight profile/stats with a couple unique pilots/titles?
    Do you sell a blister pack of random bits and let the players build their own uglies that all have the same base profile?

I don't know much about game design, so I'm curious how you'd fit something like an ugly into this ruleset without risking it becoming utterly broken while still maintaining the flavor of a cobbled together fighter made of whatever bits you could get your hands on.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The whole point of uglies is that no two of them look alike. Having four identical minis flying around on the table would pretty much ruin that.

And yeah, mechanically you can't add that much variance to a single ship in an X-Wing game.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    The whole point of uglies is that no two of them look alike. Having four identical minis flying around on the table would pretty much ruin that.

For purposes of having them represented, I'd be fine with suspending my disbelief for that.

Also, some of them do look alike, like when you've got a small pirate squadron running several DYE-wings because that's what they had available.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Sure, but in that case they'd just want to release a DYE-wing kit to represent that particular build.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Heads up, wave 10 tuckboxes from SirWilli are ready!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Jabba preview is up. Someone not on a phone want to link it?

Extra munitions for illicits on every ship you field.

Seems good.

edited March 2017
    that might be what cloaking device needs to hit the table, though the crew slots are usually what makes a yv-666 worth using

e: I forgot, it has three, not two

seems pretty good

Shorty on
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    jabba takes up two crew slots, okay. a squad of wookie commandos takes up two, sure

what's going on with palpatine that he takes two? does he drag his enormous evil swivel chair everywhere, what is he doing
    i understand it's probably his guards, i just wanted to make this post

Daypigeon wrote: »
    jabba takes up two crew slots, okay. a squad of wookie commandos takes up two, sure

what's going on with palpatine that he takes two? does he drag his enormous evil swivel chair everywhere, what is he doing

He likes to put his feet up.

His cloak hides it really well.

People got uncomfortable when he asked if his robes make him look fat.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    That other slot if because Palps needs the seat beside him empty. You think the Emperor of the galaxy is going to ride around with some rando sitting in coach right next to him?

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork