As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Borderlands] Sorry, your Vault is on another planet...

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    I appreciate a range of characters with different levels of dedication to play well. The idea of a character for casual players to experience the same content is healthy for this game.

Calling them a girlfriend character, even if that is technically the biggest demographic that would play her, is difficult to defend. Such a comment is a disservice to girlfriends who can play just fine, and to players who can't play as well that they must be girlfriends. It's unaware of the reality of the players.

I didn't even know what a girlfriend character was until you just explained it. The idea that my wife would need an ez-mode character just to play with me is so alien.

Plenty of men out there who would just nod along at that idea like it was the most obvious thing in the world,unfortunately .

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    It should be noted that only the one guy ever used the term Gearbox was pretty quick to clarify that was not their intent

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Speaking of Tediore, does anyone else like using Tediore weapons? I always try to keep one on all my characters. They're an interesting "OH SHIT" kind of button.

On Gaige I never get their full effect since 'reloading' even a Tediore weapon blows all the anarchy stacks away. But aesthetically it's hilarious to throw exploding weapons on empty clips.

I'm the type of player that habitually reloads even if there are 99% rounds remaining in the magazine. This made me extremely incompatible with Tediore's gimmick.
    If you drop your weapon and then pick it back up, its magazine will be reloaded.
    This is also a really handy trick for any weapon with a long reload time.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Why the hate on Ellie? She's sweet!

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    As for easy characters bl2 is an easy game . Almost every character can break the game with the right weapon . Salvador in particular will just not give a fuck once he hits max level and starts to get geared.

Regarding TPS , were the lasers any good? Was thinking it would be neat to have a mad scientist character with lasers as a focus. Would also appreciate a shock tree that wasn't terrible Gaige's little big trouble tree is all over the place and doesn't provide much benefit unless you just go whole hog. And even then you go anarchy because she is terrible without it. I love her but her design is incoherent and messy.

• Options
    Why the hate on Ellie? She's sweet!

She's Body positive and badass.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    As for easy characters bl2 is an easy game . Almost every character can break the game with the right weapon . Salvador in particular will just not give a fuck once he hits max level and starts to get geared.

Regarding TPS , were the lasers any good? Was thinking it would be neat to have a mad scientist character with lasers as a focus. Would also appreciate a shock tree that wasn't terrible Gaige's little big trouble tree is all over the place and doesn't provide much benefit unless you just go whole hog. And even then you go anarchy because she is terrible without it. I love her but her design is incoherent and messy.

Lasers are quite good. If you go as Wilhelm he has some laser specialization skills and can be specced to get a laser cannon built onto his shoulder that fires at the same target as your gun anytime his shield drops. The same tree also gives you cyborg legs (allows you to run and gun) and an explosive cyborg punch (use this to finish off enemies frozen with a cryo-laser). It gives him a very aggressive playstyle.

For bonus points at higher levels you can also grab those and a skill that makes it so anytime you would go into fight for your life, you can instead continue walking and shooting while you surge with electricity. If time runs out you detonate in a nuclear explosion, and any kills with it revive you. You get to be a horrifying terminator vomiting lasers everywhere.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I didn't get far enough in TPS to really get laser weapons. What exactly was different about them? Like functionally. SMGs shoot really fast, shotguns are burst damage up close, sniper rifles are slow heavy shots from afar, etc. But what was the thing behind lasers?

• Options
    I didn't get far enough in TPS to really get laser weapons. What exactly was different about them? Like functionally. SMGs shoot really fast, shotguns are burst damage up close, sniper rifles are slow heavy shots from afar, etc. But what was the thing behind lasers?
    There were a couple different types. There were star wars-ish blasters, which filled a rifle sort of role and weren't hitscan, scatter lasers which were pretty much non-hitscan shotguns with the damage spread over fewer pellets, continuous beam lasers that were hitscan and, as far as I could tell, perfectly accurate at all times, with the downside being that the accumulated recoil really quickly and could accumulate a lot of it. And I think lastly there were railguns, because I'm not sure game designers know what those are, which had really low rof but high damage.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I may have read "girlfriend character" and retranslated it into "waifu" in my head.
    Well whatever, Gaige is awesome. "ALLEN, WRITE SOME DIALOGUE IN HERE!".

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Tales From the Borderlands has been on my wishlist for a while, I've heard nothing but positive feedback about that game. Which is generally the reputation Telltale has anyway.

Out of the TT games I've played thus far it is my favorite. Your choices play, slightly more, effect on your story. And as a whole some of the events in the game will have an impact on Borderlands moving forward. Its side story for sure. But its an important side story. Like one of those side comics to a bigger story arch.

Tales from the Borderlands is incredibly good. Easily my favorite Telltale game and one of my just plain favorite games overall. I mean, it doesn't have the replaybility or 100s of hours potential of other favorite games like Borderlands (or Civ games or Etrian Odyssey or Puzzle Quest...), but as a single playthrough experience it is sublime.

Loaderbot/Gortys for president 2020!
    Tales from the Borderlands has the best gunfight in the franchise BAR NONE.

sig.gif
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    They weren't exactly great in BL1 either.
    cB557 wrote: »
    There were a couple different types. There were star wars-ish blasters, which filled a rifle sort of role and weren't hitscan, scatter lasers which were pretty much non-hitscan shotguns with the damage spread over fewer pellets, continuous beam lasers that were hitscan and, as far as I could tell, perfectly accurate at all times, with the downside being that the accumulated recoil really quickly and could accumulate a lot of it. And I think lastly there were railguns, because I'm not sure game designers know what those are, which had really low rof but high damage.

And then there was Moxxi's laser that was basically the Chain Lighting spell. Ludicrously awesome, I think I used that for 10 or 15 levels.

I love Mr. Torgue, but his thoughts on lasers are just plain wrong.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    So maya is quite fun , don't know if I will take her to op8 or anything but I'm having fun so far.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    So maya is quite fun , don't know if I will take her to op8 or anything but I'm having fun so far.
    Usually in the game I forget to use the active "woo hoo" ability on characters or save it for specific situations. Maya I use as often as possible because it's just too good and doesn't have a long cooldown.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Playing BL2 again, this time with Gaige. Turns out I miss sniper rifles! Guess I have to make do with Rocket Launchers.

If I want Deathtrap strictly as a meat shield (I want to do the killings), and want to move around a lot like a 5 year old on a sugared cocaine high, what sorta build would you guys recommend? Anarchy optional - I favor aiming rather than going crazy - but if Anarchy's as hilarious and effective as they say, I can take it.

• Options
    Anarchy with bff then. Once you get sharing is caring and can give dt a shield he becomes able to survive more the three hits. Anarchy also gives you insane damage and has Gaige screaming crazy at higher stacks.

• Options
    Playing BL2 again, this time with Gaige. Turns out I miss sniper rifles! Guess I have to make do with Rocket Launchers.

If I want Deathtrap strictly as a meat shield (I want to do the killings), and want to move around a lot like a 5 year old on a sugared cocaine high, what sorta build would you guys recommend? Anarchy optional - I favor aiming rather than going crazy - but if Anarchy's as hilarious and effective as they say, I can take it.
    I was still using sniper rifles with Gaige once in a while. If you miss a shot, if there's anything else around something is gonna get hit and die.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    What builds do people use for Maya on UVHM OP difficulties? I was able to enjoy playing both Gaige and Maya in TVHM, but once I got to UVHM all the enemies got so bullet spongey and the health gate became the entire combat system that only Salvatore seems able to stand up to things and able to complete all the content.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I used this for Maya, along with a few different gear setups depending on what I was doing.

The only thing I usually had on me regardless was a Florentine and a BotA Relic that boosted cooldown and shock damage. Reason for those is that the Florentine shocks and slags, and then Immolate gives you an additional 50% fire damage on top of that. Between those and the additional boost from the relic, there's a good chance I'm getting back up again if I hit FFYL.

sig.gif
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I picked up a headset for the XB1 today and I feel like properly breaking it in. Would anyone like to play the Handsome Collection versions of either BL2 or TPS with me?

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Could you guys help me out?

I'm hoping to get into Borderlands 1 again but there was a necessary .exe that fixed the FOV, toggle crouching, etc since the PC port didn't fix those

I googled and a ton of the links are expired now - anyone know of a fresh one or still have it?

ED: Found it, I think https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/534-borderlands-configuration-editor/

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Hello Undead Borderlands Thread. Oh hey, Humble Bundle has a Borderlands bundle going:
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    New Humble Bundle:
    aTamtax.jpg

$1:
    BorderlandsGame of the Year Edition
    The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut
    Wurm Unlimited

BTA:
    Endless Legend™ - Classic Edition
    Borderlands 2 (+Psycho Character Pack, Mechromancer Character Pack, Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack, Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack 2)
    Guild of Dungeoneering

$10
    Borderlands:The Pre-Sequel

I assume most folks here have 1 or 2. If you never picked up TPS, $10 is a good value and you get some other solid games like Van Helsing and Endless Legend in the deal.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Hell, while this is around, one other thing which folks might not have read but would be interested in.

https://quarterly.camposanto.com/tales-from-the-borderlands-the-oral-history-d33bb5f146e6

Interviews/history of how Tales from the Borderlands came to be made/growing pains it had. It's interesting.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    The thread title captures the entire plot perfectly. A great journey with no destination and a cockblock ending at all times forever.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »
    Hello Undead Borderlands Thread. Oh hey, Humble Bundle has a Borderlands bundle going:
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    New Humble Bundle:
    aTamtax.jpg

$1:
    BorderlandsGame of the Year Edition
    The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut
    Wurm Unlimited

BTA:
    Endless Legend™ - Classic Edition
    Borderlands 2 (+Psycho Character Pack, Mechromancer Character Pack, Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack, Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack 2)
    Guild of Dungeoneering

$10
    Borderlands:The Pre-Sequel

I assume most folks here have 1 or 2. If you never picked up TPS, $10 is a good value and you get some other solid games like Van Helsing and Endless Legend in the deal.

Sounds nice! I can still gift stuff partially, right? Gonna give away Borderlands 1+2 to a buddy.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I've flirted with these games a lot but never had much luck getting into them. Grabbed the first game on PS3 but just never got into it. Got the second on Vita and didn't like how it played in a handheld.

So I'm having a third go at getting into it. Grabbed that bundle for my new PC.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    @Wearingglasses, yep the bundle is separate keys. So you can gift the ones you have or don't want. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Really wish gearbox would say something about 3 , even if it’s just screen shots or design goals or something.

• Options
    Really wish gearbox would say something about 3 , even if it’s just screen shots or design goals or something.

I'm curious because it's fairly clear they just got rid of everyone that made 2 such a fun game and kept the guys that made it a slog.

I'm 70 percent sure the trailer is gonna start with Jack. Is. Back. Awkward 30 second pause ...Again.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    What 2 demonstrated to me, mostly, was that 1 was a lucky accident.
    I no longer trust Gearbox to make a 3 that's not awful. Which is a lousy way to end a trilogy.

• Options
    I no longer trust Gearbox to make a 3 that's not awful. Which is a lousy way to end a trilogy.

I’m conflicted, gameplay in 2 was fantastic but the turning the story into one giant meme was super annoying. So narrative style of one gameplay of two would my ideal borderlands game.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The writing for the first game was barely more than a technicality, but 2 has plenty of points that got a good laugh out of me (in side missions, the main story is only marginally better than the first game). The skills in the second game are far, far better though.

But man, "fuckawful" barely begins to describe some of the enemy design. A couple of the bosses from the Torgue DLC are obviously atrociously bad (just finished it for the first time and holy fuck, who was allowed to design the Badassasaurus fight?), but the rest of the game still really really suffers from having a tendency to leave you either overpowered or losing your shields and dying in a couple of shots from regular mooks. And then there's the massive overabundance of missions that having you running around picking shit up way too damn much to be any kind of entertaining.

It's kind of irrelevant in regards to a third game, though. The management of Gearbox has proven to be way too scummy for me to want to give their company any money, so they're pretty much a dead company as far as I'm concerned. Short of re-hiring everybody who put anything fun in the second game and a wholesale replacement of the Gearbox higher-ups, I can't see them being a worthwhile company to support.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The item tuning in 2 was also not as good, at least I didn't think so

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Okay what's a good tactic for beating Captain Flynt. I pretty much breezed through the starter area and he's just a huge brick wall.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I was okay with the item tuning because the weapon and skill variety was lot better. The weapons I'm focusing on with Gaige are enormously different than with the couple of other characters I've used, and the gameplay feels completely different as well (it's kinda weird being able to just spray shots everywhere and things just fall over dead even with horrible accuracy, but a lot of fun as well).

The enemy tuning needed massive work though. Enemies frequently have no trouble at all blowing right through your shields and health unless you're overlevelled, and Slag is very nearly the end-all status effect because that's the reliable way to overcome the absolutely absurd enemy health and shield increases after the first playthrough. The line between "murder everything instantly" and "get trashed immediately" is very thin, but not in an enjoyable way. You actually would have to expend a fair amount of effort to not over- or under-level.

• Options
    Also, the guns feel kinda terrible.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Also, the guns feel kinda terrible.

Yes exactly. There's a hidden stat on every Borderlands gun that is: this gun handles like a piece of shit (checked yes or no). It supersedes every other stat and you have to try each gun for a minute to check it.

• Options
    Whoever made those skeletons deserves a special place in hell.

I don't mind the story of 2. The humor felt right for the weird backwater hillbilly world they set up. The problem I had is always gonna be the rarity ratios and enemy tuning. Like they really want BL to be a mmo and nobody else does

• Options
    I think the problem lies in recoil/bloom/weapon sway. It takes too long for weapons to regain their accuracy/stop swaying, so if you wanna shoot accurately you have to spend most of your time not shooting, and if you want to be able to put out enough damage you have to just deal with having tons of weapon sway built up all the time. And there's no consistency to the recoil, your gun just judders all over the place, so you can't just manually manage it to any effective degree.
    There are some weapons that don't really have this problem. Hyperion or Dahl pistols, shotguns, snipers. Maybe a few others I'm forgetting, it's been a while. But anything else just kinda feels like crap unless you get a roll that has really high stability.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

I’m conflicted, gameplay in 2 was fantastic but the turning the story into one giant meme was super annoying. So narrative style of one gameplay of two would my ideal borderlands game.

See, that's where we're completely opposite. I found the story of 2 to be one of the better parts of it, meme-laden though it was; it was the gameplay that was a brutal slog, with slag being a necessity to cut the enemy down to "merely" bullet-spongy levels, and 90% of the guns (that you didn't get from the gold chest) being absolute crap not even worth picking up. I still fondly remember many of my BL1 quest rewards and even random drops. BL2 was a sea of vendor trash (see the above comments about MMO-style loot).

BL1 was fun to play through (for me), and then I went back and did it three more times, on each of the characters. BL2 was something I endured to finish the story (and Jack), with Turret doing most of the slagging for me; I tried starting once more, with Gaige, but... I just couldn't. I gather, from this thread, that they might have gone back later and done some tuning to make it not suck (as bad)... but by then, they'd already lost me.

Commander Zoom on
This discussion has been closed.