As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:Stormblood] The solution to the MSQ block was so simple. Delete Balmung

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    We're so close to reaching Ishgard! So excited to pick up our new classes, finally!

... Like 3 months before even more classes come out >.<

So... How are Astrologians compared with Scholar or White Mage? Because I still greatly prefer Scholar, even if I don't have quite as many powerful spells...

Takel made a great post, so I'll just say that I like AST a lot more than WHM. The two Sects give lots of versatility - if the other healer is a WHM or SCH you pick the one that complements them. Nocturnal if it's a WHM so you can hand out shields, Diurnal if a SCH for some hots.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    TBH, if a fight prefers barrier healing (eg: A11/12) I'd still go Noct and stomp over a SCH because of the level of trust I have in the average SCH ie: close to zero. That's not to say it's because of the job, it's a very powerful job with very unique advantages; but rather the quality of players that I often find playing SCHs.

It's similar to my prejudice against random WARs and DRKs. I prepare myself for the worst because that's what normally happens and I'll be prepared to enact my countermeasures for shit hitting the fan other than duck and running.

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    One caveat - Succor can be used up to twice in a row when there's no incoming damage in that window, but you need to pop Emergency Tactics to make the second one count properly.

SCH's AoE healing is somewhat limited - Whispering Dawn gives 100 potency regen on a 60s cooldown (and is boosted by Rouse, on the same cooldown), and then Indomitability is 400 potency on a 30s cooldown and Aetherflow (so it's competing with Lustrate and possibly Energy Drain for resources).

Edit: SCH is also lacking in CC, since their only interrupt is on Selene and she's never out because Eos has so much more healing output. They also can't use their only damage buff (3% AoE haste, 50% uptime) a lot of the time (you'll see it during easy stuff like hunts maybe). And then they have the only (I think?) AoE cleanse in the game. On Selene.

Selene needs some love. Eos is so much better at the primary job of "not letting the party die", with AoE regen, AoE magic defense, and AoE healing buff.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    To be fair though, there's very rare situations that require you to push out 150 + 300 + 400 = 850 potency of AoE healing to top off health bars that you wouldn't have a co-healer to handle it as well or you wouldn't be able to mitigate beforehand with a pre-shield or other defensive measure like Sacred Soil and fairy CDs. 850 potency is close to 10,200 HP with current max level gear.

AoE healing is what kills healer MP. Not single target healing, not DPS'ing but AoE *something* whether it be DPS or healing so working as a team, using the tools available to both healers is optimum not only to push out the required healing but also to support each other's MP consumption. There is no 'main' healer or 'off' healer. You have co-healers. Each is just as important and needs to contribute equally to the encounter using their tools as effectively as possible.

Fairy potencies are misleading. The fairy works off a different scale to the player and what reads as 300 potency is closer to 220. Rouse puts the fairy's potency closer to what the tooltip reads when compared to the player.

Edit:
    Only WHMs have CC amongst the healers, which is why they are somewhat dangerous in Feast and PvP in general. You leave a WHM alone and not only will they be able to heal freely, but they'll CC the living daylights out of you. AST doesn't have CC either.

Placing more utility abilities on the fairies would be.... dangerous for encounter design or at the very least increase job complexity when the current focus is to reduce the gap between sub-standard and average play. You shouldn't rely on gimmicks to force people to play a particular job. It's partially this reason why WHMs are feeling a little lacking as no encounter can ever be designed that required their maximum healing output in addition to their co-healer, not unless they want to force a particular job in all compositions (Hai thar WAR!). Personally I feel that the only avenue that they can take to improve WHMs would be to give them something that adds utility or extra capabilities without touching their direct healing potential. I saw a suggestion which was to add a proc chance on the Stone series that made the next Stoneskin cast both instant and zero MP cost, which would be interesting to say the least.

Takel on
  • Options
    AST has a stun I thought.

I mainly mean that Selene feels like it lacks incentive to bring it out right now. No content calls for the clease or silence (sometimes nice in potd), and Fey Wind isnt powerful enough to be a draw compared to just cleric stancing more.

Eos is fine.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    AST has a stub on a long cooldown.

WHM has holy and repose which aren't limited by cooldown. They also have fluid aura.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    Oh yeah, there's CO's 4s stun... which I suppose can save a tank's bacon if you swap into CS, go "Oh crap too soon" and buy yourself enough time to swap out and toss out the Essential Dignity.

The AoE cleanse can help when you screw up a tower mechanic in Thordan EX with the AoE paralyze but yeah, Selene is generally for solo use, or in the opener where the extra bit of haste can enable slightly better openers or make them a bit smoother.

You won't believe how hard it is to convince that Eos is a higher DPS enabler than Selene due to her cooldowns though... people get hung up way too much on that 3% haste with a 50% uptime.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Man...I've played too much Zelda. I tried to glide off a cliff in Mor Dhona....it wasn't pretty.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Man...I've played too much Zelda. I tried to glide off a cliff in Mor Dhona....it wasn't pretty.

I have the same issue if I've been playing GW2 for some length of time.

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    I gotta say fall damage taking you down to 1hp is a lot nicer than just cratering.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Oats wrote: »
    I gotta say fall damage taking you down to 1hp is a lot nicer than just cratering.

Except when you get aggro'd right as you take the leap.

:(

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Oats wrote: »

Except when you get aggro'd right as you take the leap.

:(

There was one time the CWH A rank with the charge spawned at the top of a cliff. That was...fun.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Oh, last night, there was this bit of discourse in sprout chat:
    "What's a coven weapon?"

"A weaponized pillar of salt."

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Wow, thanks for all the info about healing!

I think part of why I didn't really enjoy WHM is that trying to bounce between heal/dps had me constantly running out of MP (I need to try with my 50 poetic gear though). It feels like SCH is better equipped for MP recovery. I like having the bigger heals on WHM, but I can usually do alright digging myself out of a hold on SCH. I probably just need more practice...

I'll just have to see how AST goes!

工事中
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    AST is awesome at low levels because if you got WHM leveled enough to learn Stone Skin, you can use it as your first cross class skill on AST.

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    AST is awesome at low levels because if you got WHM leveled enough to learn Stone Skin, you can use it as your first cross class skill on AST.

Except that you're better served by slotting Protect or Cleric Stance there.

• Options
    NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    So, the crystal sand part of the anima quest is still a long drawn out pain it seems? I was hoping I could just grind through this part real fast, but it seems collecting a ton of poetics, and other mats is the way to go?

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Noizlanif wrote: »
    So, the crystal sand part of the anima quest is still a long drawn out pain it seems? I was hoping I could just grind through this part real fast, but it seems collecting a ton of poetics, and other mats is the way to go?

If you have a gatherer levelled, it's almost stupidly easy to grind out crystal sands via the Diadem and blue scrips.

Otherwise, vilekin is one of the easier methods, or moonstones via seals.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Moonstones are terrible efficiency. 20k GC seals per sand
    You'll almost be better served levelling mining or botany from scratch then farming blue scrips and you'll probably pull ahead. Otherwise, lore grinding and beast tribe dailies are your other options.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Depends on whether or not you spend your seals.

I bought a few moonstones because I'm always at my 80k cap. If it wasn't for cordials I'd never spend any.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    You don't do ventures?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Nah.

That's one of the things that I've never gotten into. Too many damn systems in this game for me to fool with all of them.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    You have to grind out a bunch of lore no matter what. It'll average somewhere around 11,250 lore for all the umbrite you need. Beyond that, you can get all the sands in a variety of ways and it's really about figuring out what's the least effort for you to do. I've gotten sands from 6 of the 13 possible ways so far and will probably end up using 9/13 or so by the time I finish the step. Here's some of the things I look at from time to time:
    -If I've got 450 poetics, I buy the set of stuff to get a sand. This feels like a pretty inefficient way to get sands, so I don't go out of my way aside from occasionally doing the lower roulettes.
    -I'm keeping up with Beast Tribe quests as a very slow source of sands. It'd be faster if I had my ARR tribe reputations leveled, but I don't, so it's 1 sand every 4 days for just doing some super easy quests.
    -The blue scrips are probably the easiest way to get them, so I've been leveling Miner. That's what I poke around with when I'm done with beast tribe quests and other daily tasks.
    -Once Miner is all leveled, I'll spend my remaining levequests allowances on trying to find Amber-encased Vilekins. The chest appearance rate is somewhere around 1 in 6 levequests, so 100 allowances hopefully will get you 1/5 of the sands you need.
    -I occasionally check the market board for cheap materia. Usually I can put together a couple sets of the umbral/astral materia for around ~50k gil a set. I definitely don't want to drop 3.75M gil to get all my sands, but it's an easy way to supplement things.
    -Moonstones exist, but honestly feel really poor for the investment. Feels better to spend far fewer GC seals on Cordials to help level Miner faster.
    -For both of the EX primal turn-ins, it seems like each set has 2 very cheap pieces and one very expensive piece. Getting into a PF group to try to farm the expensive one could yield a lot of easy progress.
    -The remaining three options -- desynthesis, BSM/GSM/LTW crafted items, and 24-man drops -- honestly just take so much gil/time invested for the return that I don't see them as particularly viable.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    now I see why people say Diadem is cancer

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Fighting, maybe. But gathering Diadem is wonderful.

Man in the Mists on
  • Options
    Gathering Diadem is the light. If only you could do aetherial reduction and gold ore was in there, then there'll almost be no reason not to do all your gathering in there.

You can get a monsterous amount of darksteel ore in there, which is all fine and well because airship construction takes a stupid amount of that stuff. You can gather virtually all the materials required to pump out cordials, blue scrips rain down from above and you can also do your red scrips quite well but I feel that outside red scrip gathering is better if you have the gear to hit the 2* nodes effectively. I managed to cap out my red scrips for the week in about 36-42 mins.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    You'll almost be better served levelling mining or botany from scratch then farming blue scrips and you'll probably pull ahead. Otherwise, lore grinding and beast tribe dailies are your other options.

Wow, really? For some reason, I had it in my head that Moonstones were 4K seals.

Nevermind. Don't do Moonstones.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    failedninjafailedninja Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »
    Takel wrote: »

Wow, really? For some reason, I had it in my head that Moonstones were 4K seals.

Nevermind. Don't do Moonstones.

They are 4k, but you need 5 of them I think.

• Options
    Yeap, you need 5. You can passively accumulate the moonstones by doing crafting leves in Mor Dhona or the item hand-in daily from the Ixal beast tribe. Can be a bit pricey in the end regardless

By the way, the OP posts does contain a write-up for the relic stages up to the i270 stage. It's only missing the change in Umbrite costs down to 150 lore and the i275 stage which is just a primal world trip plus 1k lore/poetics. When 3.6 comes out which I believe will be within the next few weeks I'll revise it as there's rumours of a final-final stage that may push the relic to i280 based on icon graphics that were data mined.

• Options
    Is there any way to determine progress on the 270 step?

It's been a week, and admittedly I haven't been doing much more than an EX/60/Trial roulette per night, but I still only have one flashing thingy when I check my glass.

Am I missing something, or is this going to take me 3 months?

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Maximum wrote: »

It's been a week, and admittedly I haven't been doing much more than an EX/60/Trial roulette per night, but I still only have one flashing thingy when I check my glass.

Edit: You can tell to some degree how close you are to completing a rune by how fast the light flashes.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular

If you're only doing 3-4 things a day it will take you a very long time to complete.

I've completed 2 by grinding A1S over and over and I'd say I've done around 250 runs to max 2 out.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    Yeah, I read that the preferred method was running A1S like 100 times, but I'd rather drive a rusty nail through my eyeball.

• Options
    Yeah, I read that the preferred method was running A1S like 100 times, but I'd rather drive a rusty nail through my eyeball.

A decent group can tear through it in a few minutes a run, and it's useful for getting the 60k company seals you need for the other part of this step.

• Options
    The only other thing you need is Pneumite, right?

I already have those. So glad I don't need to hoard lore tomestones any longer. Buying components every day and listing them on the MB instead.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Just wait for the bonus, like whenever you are on check to see if the bonus for A1S is up. I believe it cycles through different bonuses every two hours.

If a new window is up and is unconfirmed you can usually tell if you run A1S back-to-back and it's Sturdy both times.
    Yes! That means even without the bonus there is a chance A1S can give you Sturdy during Normal times. It's usually Robust.

AND just like that the bonus is up for A1S. Now everyone is rushing to Party Finder to get into/make a group to run it for 2 hours. A1S usually lasts 4-5 min. assuming no one leaves and the group runs it back-to-back you can rack up to 576 points per bonus hours. Thats almost three full runes right there. :0

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    So I've been gathering everything I need to get my LW from 30 to 50. I have all the mats but I need some maxed out peeps who can HQ the stuff for me.

This is my list: http://ffxivcrafting.com/list/saved/4022,12:3616,14:3426,14:4051,15

Anyone who can help me out? I can always mail you the stuff and you craft it in your own time.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Yeah, my game plan for light is to put in half an hour or so of A1S whenever the bonus aligns, and otherwise get chunks from roulettes and shit.

I cannot do it for the full bonus window, I'd go mad.

Edit: The finalists were posted for the latest gear design contest. One of the mage proposals is a carbuncle mascot outfit.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    What is the emote used at 1:15?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0UZvZQq9-o

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    That's tataru, and NPC. NPC's are not limited only to the emotes used by the players.

In other words, you can't do it.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
This discussion has been closed.