As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

For Sale: 2017 [Car thread] - No Rust! New Clutch! Blown Turbo!

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Anything can be driven, if you afford the insurance. There's nothing there that's that outrageously precious, really.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I think the Alpine, Lambo, Maserati and Jaguar are though.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's a tough choice. Some of those cars I'd sell immediately due to the market for them being at a peak, and then use the money to buy cars I'd actually drive (or save for retirement/future use). I think I'd end up keeping the 240z, 911 4s, but I'm having a very hard time choosing a third as a car I'd actually drive (as opposed to something I'd keep just for looks or as a future sale). I'd probably go for the Corvette as my third so I'd have something America, German, and Japanese.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    550, 240Z, 928S

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Espada, M3, 550 for me.

Espada as the weekend cruiser, M3 for a track toy, 550 for daily driving.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Some nice person decided the thing to do after scraping my car in a parking lot was drive right on off without any sort of anything.

Well, I do need to have the damned thing repainted anyway...

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    Here's a challenge: pick three of the cars on this list that you'd keep.

My first answer was Espada, M3 and 911 C4S before closing the tab because I was just going to keep second guessing myself.

240Z, Ferrari 550, and the Espada (to sell to finance keeping the other two in showroom condition).

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular

My first answer was Espada, M3 and 911 C4S before closing the tab because I was just going to keep second guessing myself.

The 550 was probably one of the first Ferraris that I really lusted after, so that's in. The Jag, because that is just sex on wheels. And the '77 Porsche Turbo, because that is what a Porsche should look like in my mind.

I think the Alpine, Lambo, Maserati and Jaguar are though.

They're not so stratospheric.. the Lambo is the 'wrong' one to be really expensive, people still race Alpines and make parts for them, and E-Types/XKEs aren't really that rare. The Maser is the only one I don't really know about.

Hagerty says that year of Ghibli averages ~$300k USD. I didn't realize they were that high in value, I figured they'd be roughly the same as the Espada.

jgeis wrote: »
    Hagerty says that year of Ghibli averages ~$300k USD. I didn't realize they were that high in value, I figured they'd be roughly the same as the Espada.

Damn. I thought I'd heard they'd gone up pretty significantly in the past few years, but I wasn't sure where they'd ended up.

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Hi car thread! Does anyone have experience using a dual action machine polisher for detailing work? I'm real close to pulling the trigger on a porter cable 7424, but am kind of at sea as far as which pads and compounds to buy. My plan is to wash, clay, do a light cut, polish, and then seal. I've kind of let my car get filthy - there are some swirls and clear coat scratches I'd love to get rid of if possible. It's a black car ('05 g35) and looks great when clean but that seldom lasts for more than five minutes or so.

Can anyone recommend product or share tips? There are a ton of videos out there, which is helpful, but many of them are veiled ads.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    You wash your car? That's what rain is for!

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    You wash your car? That's what rain is for!

Just coming out of the CA drought, so not recently, no :P

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

I'd have to sell most of the rare ones, because CASHMONEYDOLLARS, and I wouldn't be able to drive them like you should..

Personally I'd keep the 240Z and race/hoon it, the Jag - because HELLO, and though I'd be tempted to keep the 912, I'd rather have the '77 911 Turbo, because damn.

jwalk on
    In the last thread I posted a list of cars actually for sale by a local auto club/racer. Most are projects/in pieces, but it's pretty ridiculous.
    a 1940 Cadillac LaSalle
    or a 1951 Chrysler Town and Country... Ambulance
    1960 Dodge Dart Pioneer station wagon..
    1964 Ford Falcon Futura wagon
    or my favorite, a 1970 Opel Kadet T station wagon...
    or a 1972 Triumph GT6
    1984 Lotus Esprit..
    he's also got a Sunbeam Alpine, Triumph Spitire, a couple of MGB's
    like 60+ cars, guy is literally crazy for cars..

• msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    jwalk wrote: »
    In the last thread I posted a list of cars actually for sale by a local auto club/racer. Most are projects/in pieces, but it's pretty ridiculous.
    a 1940 Cadillac LaSalle
    or a 1951 Chrysler Town and Country... Ambulance
    1960 Dodge Dart Pioneer station wagon..
    1964 Ford Falcon Futura wagon
    or my favorite, a 1970 Opel Kadet T station wagon...
    or a 1972 Triumph GT6
    1984 Lotus Esprit..
    he's also got a Sunbeam Alpine, Triumph Spitire, a couple of MGB's
    like 60+ cars, guy is literally crazy for cars..

Grab me that GT6

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I currently have a lease to a honda accord coupe. It's a four year lease, and I'm a few months away from it being 3 years. My dealer is calling me in to see if they can get me to sign on to a new lease with a new car.

Now, I could really use a new car. The coupe was acquired when I was working a day job, and the only thing I'd ever need to transport is just myself, which it does with aplomb.

But now that I have my own business, I occasionally need to haul stuff around, and I need something with a trunk, and preferably with folding seats worth a damn (the coupe's trunk is poop).

I would not go bigger than a CRV, so my options if I agree to this would either be the HRV or the CRV. Does anyone have experience with either of those? I'm just not a fan of how the CRV looks, but the HRV doesn't look too bad?

Another car I was considering was the Subaru Crosstrek, which I think looks pretty cool, but I would have to wait until the lease on my coupe ends before going for that.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    These are worth a read if you're comparing the CRV to the HRV.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/02/2017-honda-cr-v-touring-awd-review-effective-efficient-not-effervescent/
    http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/02/2016-honda-hr-v-hondas-worst-current-product/
    http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/12/former-friend-says-want-honda-hr-v/

If you're open to buying something other than Honda (it's worth seeing what other dealerships can give you in trade in value) the Mazda CX-5 is apparently very good as are the Toyota RAV-4 and Ford Escape.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    I don't know what type of stuff you carry around for your business, but it's possible that despite being in a smaller class, the Civic hatchback could be the right fit for you. There's going to be a lot more room in the back hatch area than in an Accord coupe's trunk, that's for sure.

edited March 2017
    Well that's a pity. I'm not looking too seriously at other manufacturers atm, because if I wanted one of them I wouldn't be able to end the current lease until next summer, and will be looking at 2018 models instead and they could be totally different?
    jgeis wrote: »
    I don't know what type of stuff you carry around for your business, but it's possible that despite being in a smaller class, the Civic hatchback could be the right fit for you. There's going to be a lot more room in the back hatch area than in an Accord coupe's trunk, that's for sure.
    I'll def look at the civic hatchback and see what the trunk looks like.

Psykoma on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    but they're sooo ugly

Also canada's car import rules seem to be pretty damned restrictive

Psykoma on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Hi car thread! Does anyone have experience using a dual action machine polisher for detailing work? I'm real close to pulling the trigger on a porter cable 7424, but am kind of at sea as far as which pads and compounds to buy. My plan is to wash, clay, do a light cut, polish, and then seal. I've kind of let my car get filthy - there are some swirls and clear coat scratches I'd love to get rid of if possible. It's a black car ('05 g35) and looks great when clean but that seldom lasts for more than five minutes or so.

Can anyone recommend product or share tips? There are a ton of videos out there, which is helpful, but many of them are veiled ads.

I can't speak to the polisher, but my brother when he was starting his detailing business used Chemical Guys brand compounds, and he has spoken pretty highly of them for consumer grade stuff. I use some of their stuff for plastic and rubber restoration and it has worked really well.

Don't get their new car smell car spray though, it smells terrible.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    It's a little bigger class, but have you considered the Honda Ridgeline? I've read good things about the newest ones.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    I just, I can't do a pickup truck

hur dur but it's totes not a pickup cause not ladder frame

At least that the drum I get to hear beat by the local pickup faithful.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    It's tall, with a cab, and an open back bed.
    It's a pickup truck.

Do they even make non-unibody trucks?

Most pickup trucks are still ladder frame, with leaf springs on the rear. The Honda Ridgeline was and still is the only exception I know of, which ruffles the feathers of many a redneck around here.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    So truck technology has not yet left the 1970's. Good to know.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So truck technology has not yet left the 1970's. Good to know.

I mean for heavy duty use the ladder frame/leaf spring setup is the superior setup, just that most people don't need that kind of hardware, and for most truck manufacturers it is going to be way cheaper to share a ton of parts/manufacturing process between their commercial class vehicles and the standard trucks driving around. Not to say they couldn't do it if they wanted but the market wants big ass trucks.

I wish they had kept the unique styling of the first gen Ridgeline. I really like that thing. The new one just looks weird, and too much like a generic truck.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    1970's, more like 1070's... leaf springs date back to the middle ages..

• mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Yeah, if you're buying a pickup truck to do actual truck stuff with, ladder frame/leaf spring/solid rear axle is the way to go. I've seen a Ridgeline being used to haul, not sure what was in it but it's ass was dragging on the ground.

We've managed to get my dad's 2500HD diesel to squat noticeably under loads a few times, so while a unibody truck can do perfectly well as a replacement for the F150 poseur crowd, it's never going to be able to do the jobs a "real" truck can.

Edit: writing this on the tail end of a 48 hour road trip, so truck stuff is kinda fresh in my mind right now. My dad and I just drove the Tahoe from MI to Texas and back to pick up a boat he bought on eBay. 1,300 miles of towing a 5000 lb trailer, a good chunk of which was in the foothills of the Appalachians in Kentucky and Tennessee. Even with the 5.3L we dropped our speed to 50-55 mph for a few climbs, I wouldn't want to try that with anything lighter duty.

mRahmani on
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Yeah, if you're buying a pickup truck to do actual truck stuff with, ladder frame/leaf spring/solid rear axle is the way to go. I've seen a Ridgeline being used to haul, not sure what was in it but it's ass was dragging on the ground.

We've managed to get my dad's 2500HD diesel to squat noticeably under loads a few times, so while a unibody truck can do perfectly well as a replacement for the F150 poseur crowd, it's never going to be able to do the jobs a "real" truck can.

Edit: writing this on the tail end of a 48 hour road trip, so truck stuff is kinda fresh in my mind right now. My dad and I just drove the Tahoe from MI to Texas and back to pick up a boat he bought on eBay. 1,300 miles of towing a 5000 lb trailer, a good chunk of which was in the foothills of the Appalachians in Kentucky and Tennessee. Even with the 5.3L we dropped our speed to 50-55 mph for a few climbs, I wouldn't want to try that with anything lighter duty.

American's affinity for "trucks" over actual trucks boggles my mind. If I want to carry two metric tonnes of stuff in the back, I'm buying a fucking Isuzu N series, not an F(whatever) ute.

Psykoma wrote: »
    I just, I can't do a pickup truck

Instead of an SUV with the associated hike in running costs, how about an Odyssey? Pop the last row of seats out and it's practically a van back there.

We tend to need towing capacity more than payload capacity. Yeah, if you want to haul 4000 lbs of gravel you need a proper dually commercial truck. If your main use is a to pull a 10,000 lb camper to go on trips with, getting a luxury spec HD truck is really nice.

Man, when I worked with my dad we used to carry all of his tile installation tools, including a water saw, and a pallet of tile in his E-150, while towing a trailer with two additional pallets on it.

I mean, it's the same idea as that commercial where a Toyota Tundra was towing the space shuttle. Sure, you can physically move the load with pretty much anything. A Honda Civic will move a 10,000 trailer if you really want it to. Doing it safely and efficiently is a different story.

E series work vans are badass regardless.

mRahmani wrote: »
    We tend to need towing capacity more than payload capacity. Yeah, if you want to haul 4000 lbs of gravel you need a proper dually commercial truck. If your main use is a to pull a 10,000 lb camper to go on trips with, getting a luxury spec HD truck is really nice.

Gooseneck campers are pretty sweet, but in that case I woukd just buy a Winnebago-style all-in-one unit instead of a big ute and a camper. Obviously not an actual Winnie though, I don't shit gold.

This discussion has been closed.