As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[System Shock] REMAKE IS OUT NOW ( May 30 2023)

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    They switched to the Unreal Engine,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPcFU6kXeZ4

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I might just be remembering it wrong but it seems like whoever is in charge of distorting SHODAN's voice is really going fucking overboard. It's like, she doesn't have to stutter eighteen times every third word and shift her pitch wildly every fourth word. Maybe that's how it was in the original though. It's been a while.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I might just be remembering it wrong but it seems like whoever is in charge of distorting SHODAN's voice is really going fucking overboard. It's like, she doesn't have to stutter eighteen times every third word and shift her pitch wildly every fourth word. Maybe that's how it was in the original though. It's been a while.
    SHODAN is pretty close to what I remember, but this version is a bit more stuttery.

sig.gif
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I haven't played through much of SS1, but someone was claiming that SHODAN's vocal distortion was different between 1 and 2. I'm more familiar with 2's myself and it's definitely a bit different than that.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Eh, the stutter does not bother me, and i think its more because you are hearing her speak more in a small amount of time compared to the rare moments you got to hear her in the game. I do think some of the high tones are a bit off from the original, but its early.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iZMD_eCpEo

Not terrible dissimilar.

edited March 2017
    I mean, that's got a lot less stuttering, pitch shifting, etc. to my ears. But maybe I am odd. Like, compare this to the latest thing: it still has pitch shifting and stuff but it doesn't sound like she's gulped helium for half of the VO session.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I think it is the time frame thing

That clip is only 21 seconds long and there's a lot more in the demo video.

Which reminds me I convinced some friends who have never played System Shock to watch that youtube complilation video of SHODANs face that strings together all of the messages from SS2 in the dark on a 70" tv

They started off kinda laughing about haha this is so dumb

But that stopped gradually and before the video was over one of them literally said "fuck this shit", turned it off and left the room.

SHODAN confirmed as still super screepy

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    You wouldn't happen to have a link to that video, would you?

sig.gif
    I think it is the time frame thing

That clip is only 21 seconds long and there's a lot more in the demo video.

Which reminds me I convinced some friends who have never played System Shock to watch that youtube complilation video of SHODANs face that strings together all of the messages from SS2 in the dark on a 70" tv

They started off kinda laughing about haha this is so dumb

But that stopped gradually and before the video was over one of them literally said "fuck this shit", turned it off and left the room.

SHODAN confirmed as still super screepy

See, this. This is how you get someone to play an old game.

In other AWESOME NEWS:

Starbreeze Publishing signs OtherSide Entertainment’s System Shock 3

Starbreeze, an independent creator, publisher and distributor of high quality entertainment products, has signed a publishing agreement with Otherside Entertainment regarding the game System Shock 3. Starbreeze will invest $12 million to bring the game to PC and other platforms.

System Shock 3 – The latest in the series of landmark, award-winning games from Otherside Entertainment is in development under the direction of industry legend Warren Spector and a dream team behind such ground breaking games including the original System Shock & System Shock 2, as well as Thief: The Dark Project and Deus Ex.

“System Shock is one of those iconic franchises in the history of games that still gets my blood going and Mr. Spector is one of the founding fathers of the modern action RPG” said Bo Andersson-Klint, Starbreeze CEO. “We’re greatly looking forward to bringing System Shock 3 to players world wide in our collaboration with Otherside Entertainment and Warren Spector’s team. I’ll be first in line to play”.

“We are thrilled to be partnering with Starbreeze for System Shock 3,” said OtherSide’s CEO Paul Neurath. They truly get games and gamers, and have been able to translate that understanding into a robust publishing business, and build thriving gaming communities around their franchises.”

Starbreeze will be able to recoup 120% of its full investment including marketing costs. Starbreeze share of revenues will become 50% after the investment is recouped. Otherside Entertainement will retain 100% of the intellectual property relating to System Shock 3.

System Shock 3 is currently in the early concept stages of development. Fans can go to the game site to receive updates as they become available.

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I mean, that's got a lot less stuttering, pitch shifting, etc. to my ears. But maybe I am odd. Like, compare this to the latest thing: it still has pitch shifting and stuff but it doesn't sound like she's gulped helium for half of the VO session.

Terri Brosius, the original voice actress, also did all yhe processing for SHODAN's voice in that video.

5gsowHm.png
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    I think the new trailer IS going overboard with it. I'm very familiar with SHODAN's voice, and the trailer has a LOT more post-processing. I think part of it is higher audio quality in general makes the stuttering more jarring, but it's been pumped up.

HOWEVER

I think the pumping-up may just be for the trailer's sake to make her even more menacing.

I really like the new artwork they've used for her in the trailer, incidentally.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    @Lucid_Seraph
    Could you change the title to refer to SS3? this story needs more traffic.

Syngyne wrote: »

Terri Brosius, the original voice actress, also did all yhe processing for SHODAN's voice in that video.
    And she didn't do a particularly restrained job, if you ask me!

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

And she didn't do a particularly restrained job, if you ask me!

The hacker's work is finished, but hers is only just beginning.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    edited March 2017
    azith28 wrote: »
    @Lucid_Seraph
    Could you change the title to refer to SS3? this story needs more traffic.

Done. Thanks to @NEO|Phyte for the inspiration.

*edit* Also, SS3 relevant news and link to SS3 website added to OP.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    More like "here comes the wrencheoning".

Cuz seriously, Imma hit things with a wrench.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Hmm. A little too much gory body-horror for me, if this is all supposed to be Shodan's doing.

Shodan wouldn't hook you up to a robot exoskeleton and leave your entrails dangling. She would excise all that wasteful, useless flesh and leave you a pristine, seamless, cyborg monstrosity. Perfect and clean.

Leave all that blood and organs and dilating sphincter stuff to the pathetic worms. They don't know any better because they can't. How could they? Their minds are just meat, after all.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Gosh I love Shodan. The only thing that really sold me in that trailer was hearing that character, and that was pretty much all I needed.

• XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Yeah, there's some scary ass corpse robots and zombie action in there. Sheesh

edited September 2019
    Gosh I love Shodan. The only thing that really sold me in that trailer was hearing that character, and that was pretty much all I needed.

I am extremely ready for my Goddess and Queen to just step on me for the entire game

(I'm not exaggerating when I say SS1 & 2 were part of my bisexual awakening to "holy fuck, girls are HOT")

Lucid_Seraph on
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    "You are a remarkable example of a pathetic species." was always my fav. I remember saving/reloading and playing so hard to save those people from that cortex reaver on that one level in SS1 before accepting it wasn't possible.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    Hmm. A little too much gory body-horror for me, if this is all supposed to be Shodan's doing.

Shodan wouldn't hook you up to a robot exoskeleton and leave your entrails dangling. She would excise all that wasteful, useless flesh and leave you a pristine, seamless, cyborg monstrosity. Perfect and clean.

Leave all that blood and organs and dilating sphincter stuff to the pathetic worms. They don't know any better because they can't. How could they? Their minds are just meat, after all.

But that was literally a cortex reaver.

Like, straight up.

latest?cb=20151011125931

She's already done that kind of thing before.

Looks like there's going to be a playable demo of System Shock (remake) going live on the 12th (tomorrow) at 10 am PST and will be up for 48 hours.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular

I am extremely ready for my Goddess and Queen to just step on me for the entire game

(I'm not exaggerating when I say SS1 & 2 were part of my bisexual awakening to "holy fuck, girls are HOT")

It helps that Terri Brosius was the singer in a 90's band and looked very cool and hot while doing that.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Looks like there's going to be a playable demo of System Shock (remake) going live on the 12th (tomorrow) at 10 am PST and will be up for 48 hours.

Has anyone tried it yet? I’m not sure I’ll have time to before it expires.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I played it for about 10 minutes before shutting it off. It feels very much like System Shock... I just didn't want to put any more time into an Alpha of a game I'm really looking forward to sinking my teeth in.

Marty81 wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Has anyone tried it yet? I’m not sure I’ll have time to before it expires.
    This is going to sound a little weird, but it plays exactly like a modern recreation of a game from 1994. Everything's, like, authentically overbusy? The textures and stuff. It's kind of like the Classic levels in Doom (2016), in a way? It's a modern recreation of something old.

Like, the levels and the enemy placement. They don't feel like what I've come to expect as "organic." The rooms feel very blocky, very angular. And the enemy placement is... very, "Hm, an enemy should be here on a slightly raised platform" because that's where enemies went in the early 90s. I kicked off Doom 2 (same year), and, yeah. It's an apt comparison. It's both new and old in a way that seems pretty interesting.

i mean it's SS1, not 3, it should have the same layout and enemy placement

camo_sig2.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Yehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh they could've done a Resident Evil 2 Remake remake, but instead they did a Resident Evil 1 Remake remake. I would've preferred the RE2R treatment, based on what I played of this alpha.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    God damn it, too many really cool things I want to play came out just now, and I have to work all weekend, why

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    If you've backed the game apparently you'll be able to play the demo longer than the 48 hours. I'm not sure if that means they'll send out a code for you to install it or what.

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019

I was under the impression that System Shock relied on random spawns rather than pre-placed enemies, other than maybe two or three set fights. Why bother meticulously placing Hoppers when the level's going to be flooded with them in 10 minutes?

Orogogus on
    The cyborgs and mutants are definitely hand placed.
    I just finished the Medlevel in the demo, here's my opinions:

The level is exactly what I remember, at least the geometry, the mutants are scarier than ever, srsly.

now, there are some serious signs of an actual Alpha: The game is far too absurdly dark, there are several places where you're just blind; the lighting is clearly not really done at all. It's a lot darker than the original, and there are so many light sources in the textures and map that don't actually light anything. Item placement is also clearly VERY incomplete, you should really find a ton more stuff. Also, it seems there's no Cyberspace yet.

Keybindings are weird, and changing some of very few options made doors uninteractable.

It's very clearly an alpha, and I don't really mind the issues. It's impressive how you can play the entire level and get to the end at this stage.

camo_sig2.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Keybindings are weird

So it's System Shock

Donnicton wrote: »
    Keybindings are weird

So it's System Shock

Well yeah I've beaten both games, SS2 more than once, before there were these adapted to current paradigms versions.
    i mean they're rejiggered to be modern but still kinda random. R is not reload, i think it's V or G or something.

And regarding a RE2-like remastar, that's exactly where they were going, and then had to trash it and go back to basics.

camo_sig2.png
  • MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Welp
    System Shock 3’s writer & director, lead programmer, design director and more have all confirmed their exit from OtherSide in the past 5 months, following the company’s year-long search for a new publisher.

But according to one anonymous developer, the entire team is now “no longer employed” by OtherSide.

Monwyn on
    uH3IcEi.png