As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Expanse] You know a lot about how people die.

• SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    I'm only around halfway into book 2. It this shit goes to zombies I'm so fucking out.

Book 2 Ending and other book spoilers, if you want them:
    The end of Book 2 is probably the last thing that can be called a "zombie". Everything after that is something else. No more "infection" or taking over the host type thing. The protomolecule does what it's supposed to do, and it's basically finished at that point. There's one bit, in I think book 3?, where the protomolecule eats some people. But it basically just uses them as raw materials to do some other stuff after they make it angry. The protomolecule is not really the "bad guy" for most of the books. The "bad guy" is always a human or group of humans. There are hints about something else... and hopefully that will be explored in the book after Babylon's Ashes.

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Some neat changes to the show intro I didn't catch between season 1 and season 2.

Spoilers if you haven't seen up to S2E05 yet.
    When it shows Mars, Deimos is replaced with debris.

At the very end, the planet in front is Venus, and there is blue crinkly protomolecule stuff coming out of it for a second.

5gsowHm.png
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Ha! I am totally going to be watching for that now :D

steam_sig.png
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    New episode!
    It is interesting, the changes between book and show. Book 2 Caliban's War stuff
    Book!Naomi would have come clean to Holden the moment they had their first protomolecule conversation in this episode. "You didn't tell me about Cortazar, that's okay, because I didn't tell you about the missile full of protomolecule that I told you I destroyed."

Show!Naomi is way more dodgy than her book counterpart, which is okay, insofar as the show probably needs moment-to-moment drama instead of just snappy writing. At least it isn't a CW show, with HIDDEN! SECRETS! MUCH DRAMA! SO BETRAYAL!

In the book, Prax never left Ganymede after the incident. He spends a week looking for Mei before Holden & Co. show up at Fred's behest to investigate (they weren't involved with any Tycho intrigue or a hostage situation).

Drummer is way more of a character in the show vs. the book. Makes me wonder if they're just going to not develop Sam at all and have Drummer take her parts.

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    New episode!
    It is interesting, the changes between book and show. Book 2 Caliban's War stuff
    Book!Naomi would have come clean to Holden the moment they had their first protomolecule conversation in this episode. "You didn't tell me about Cortazar, that's okay, because I didn't tell you about the missile full of protomolecule that I told you I destroyed."

Show!Naomi is way more dodgy than her book counterpart, which is okay, insofar as the show probably needs moment-to-moment drama instead of just snappy writing. At least it isn't a CW show, with HIDDEN! SECRETS! MUCH DRAMA! SO BETRAYAL!

In the book, Prax never left Ganymede after the incident. He spends a week looking for Mei before Holden & Co. show up at Fred's behest to investigate (they weren't involved with any Tycho intrigue or a hostage situation).

Drummer is way more of a character in the show vs. the book. Makes me wonder if they're just going to not develop Sam at all and have Drummer take her parts.

Discussion of Sam (book character/spoilers):
    I'm about 95% sure Show!Sam isn't going to exist. I mean, a large part of the emotional impact her death on the Behemoth was that she had built up a strong relationship between her and the Roci crew (particularly Holden and Naomi), and I feel like when they gave that "letting off steam"/racquetball scene to Drummer and Naomi and not Sam and Naomi, it was signaling that Drummer was going to be the emotional connection that the crew (or at least Naomi) has to Tycho station.

They could introduce a plucky female engineer at the beginning of season three that is helping to retrofit Nauvoo to become Behemoth, and develop Sam's character from there.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    edited March 2017
    New episode!

I'm about 95% sure Show!Sam isn't going to exist. I mean, a large part of the emotional impact her death on the Behemoth was that she had built up a strong relationship between her and the Roci crew (particularly Holden and Naomi), and I feel like when they gave that "letting off steam"/racquetball scene to Drummer and Naomi and not Sam and Naomi, it was signaling that Drummer was going to be the emotional connection that the crew (or at least Naomi) has to Tycho station.

They could introduce a plucky female engineer at the beginning of season three that is helping to retrofit Nauvoo to become Behemoth, and develop Sam's character from there.

Continued book/show spoilers
    On reddit word is the writers are saying Alli Chung is going to be back as Sam next season.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    New episode!

Continued book/show spoilers
    On reddit word is the writers are saying Alli Chung is going to be back as Sam next season.

Not really a spoiler, but related to the spoiler
    Huh! After a bit of IMDB digging, I didn't even realize that Sam was in an episode. I feel kinda silly. :(

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    Not really a spoiler, but related to the spoiler
    Huh! After a bit of IMDB digging, I didn't even realize that Sam was in an episode. I feel kinda silly. :(

Book spoiler comments, books 2 and 3...
    There was a bit of discussion about the actress a couple of pages back, mainly over the fact that her hair is not red.
    If they do bring her in as a real character, they are going to have to beef up her role considerably in order for her fate to have the appropriate emotional punch

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Man I knew something bad was going to happen.
    (show only)
    But then jesusfuck they make it a million times worse because they went through and perfectly modelled all the physics of mass-murdering a bunch of people by spacing them. Like, notice they show the ship using manoeuvering thrusters to get them out of the bay because there's just not enough air to actually "blow you" out into space?

And then the episode just keeps going.

Man I knew something bad was going to happen.
    (show only)
    But then jesusfuck they make it a million times worse because they went through and perfectly modelled all the physics of mass-murdering a bunch of people by spacing them. Like, notice they show the ship using manoeuvering thrusters to get them out of the bay because there's just not enough air to actually "blow you" out into space?

And then the episode just keeps going.

Yeah, that was some bad business.

5gsowHm.png
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Have they confirmed that Season 3 is happening?

Also: my wife plopped down on the couch last night to see what the fuss was about. We get to the scene on the refugee ship (you know the one) ...

Wife: Did they just- ?
    Me: Yeah, they did.
    Wife: What the fuck is this show?!
    Me: It's complicated.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
    For the refugee ship, a minor quibble:
    This would have been more meaningful to me if there were people other than just Meng not being spaced. Like actually show them separating the Inners form the Belters.
    As soon as the Belter started saying "All Inners this way, we have nice ship for you." I knew they were all dead.

As it was, it looked like they spaced everyone except for Meng. I assume there were other people, but it's not shown well.

Book 2 vs show spoiler, differences:
    Not sure I'm a big fan of refugees being sent to Tycho in the first place. The bit about the Ganymede system collapsing was done very well in the book I though, but I guess they couldn't show that on the show well?
    And no "mystery" about who took Mei. They get to Strickland pretty quick. I wonder if next week's episode will end with his brother's son? I really really hope we get the scene where Meng barges in and starts a firefight, that was hysterical in the book and should play well on the screen I think.

And it does kind of crack me up that Crisjen was not in Book 1, but was all over Season 1. She's actually in Book 2, but her parts of early Book 2 are given to Holden/Naomi (the proto shout bit).

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    I'm just hoping the have the private conversation between Amos and Meng. Because it's such an Amos conversation, I would love to see how it plays out in the show.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Selner wrote: »
    For the refugee ship, a minor quibble:
    This would have been more meaningful to me if there were people other than just Meng not being spaced. Like actually show them separating the Inners form the Belters.
    As soon as the Belter started saying "All Inners this way, we have nice ship for you." I knew they were all dead.

As it was, it looked like they spaced everyone except for Meng. I assume there were other people, but it's not shown well.

Book 2 vs show spoiler, differences:
    Not sure I'm a big fan of refugees being sent to Tycho in the first place. The bit about the Ganymede system collapsing was done very well in the book I though, but I guess they couldn't show that on the show well?
    And no "mystery" about who took Mei. They get to Strickland pretty quick. I wonder if next week's episode will end with his brother's son? I really really hope we get the scene where Meng barges in and starts a firefight, that was hysterical in the book and should play well on the screen I think.

And it does kind of crack me up that Crisjen was not in Book 1, but was all over Season 1. She's actually in Book 2, but her parts of early Book 2 are given to Holden/Naomi (the proto shout bit).
    My sense was they wanted to get Prax with the Roci as quickly as possible and that was the easiest way to do it. In the book you can spend a lot of time on one character even if they are new. In a show with an ensemble cast that's hard to do and keep the audience's interest.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Latest episode:
    I like show!Prax. book!Prax was a panicked bundle of nerves, show Prax feels more real.

I always took Book!Prax as high functioning autistic or something. It is very good writing; he's an interesting character, but so much about him is internal that it's hard to translate for a show.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Funny you should ask. Guess what got announced today?

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/blog/this-is-not-a-drill-the-expanse-is-renewed-for-season-3

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Poor Amos. So broken. :(
    Jragghen wrote: »

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/blog/this-is-not-a-drill-the-expanse-is-renewed-for-season-3
    YES!

https://media.giphy.com/media/26gsmzPuLMItneRIA/giphy.gif :D

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️

I wonder if the ratings are good, or if they just realize that this is their prestige show and history will dump on them for cancelling it.

• WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular

I wonder if the ratings are good, or if they just realize that this is their prestige show and history will dump on them for cancelling it.

We don't know the Netflix numbers. I'd say they've got at least as many viewers on streaming services as they do on TV.

• CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular

*looks over at his DVD set*

I hope that has something to do with it, I don't know about you guys, but I am kinda careful about which tv shows I get the seasons of, because once I start, I tend to want to make sure its a complete set - a show has to dip considerably for me to no longer want to continue to patronize it once I've picked it up as something to sit on the shelf for when it becomes the thing I marathon, True Blood comes to mind.

steam_sig.png
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    They definitely ramped up the marketing of The Expanse. Found out my supervisor has read all the books and is slowly watching the show. Now I definitely need to get reading again to get caught up to him. I know some of the die hards don't like it, but I do feel like selling the "Game of Thrones in Space" meme is helping it gain attention. If it gets people to give it a chance, that is what matters.

*looks over at his DVD set*

I hope that has something to do with it, I don't know about you guys, but I am kinda careful about which tv shows I get the seasons of, because once I start, I tend to want to make sure its a complete set - a show has to dip considerably for me to no longer want to continue to patronize it once I've picked it up as something to sit on the shelf for when it becomes the thing I marathon, True Blood comes to mind.

I don't have cable, but I bought season 2 on Amazon, which is something I've never done before. Gotta think that I'm not the only one.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I feel like I've said this like, 5 times this season, but I really am impressed with how structurally sound this season has been.

Season 1 was very much in that Netflix / binge-watching model, where each episode might have minor plotlines introduced and concluded in the space of an hour, but really it's all servicing the larger serial story. And because of the spread out storylines that only eventually came together at the end of the season, for large parts of the season we the audience knew more about what was going on than any particular character. There was still a puzzle to figure out - who's Julie, what happened to her, how's she tied up with this other shit going on - but it was the audience figuring things out first, and the characters catching up later.

In Season 2 the showrunners have plainly made an effort to restructure the over-arcing story in a way that also lets each individual episode have its own narratively satisfying arc. Every episode there's an interesting problem or puzzle, and the Roci or some other group has to puzzle their way through it. And instead of already knowing the solution (Julie's the person calling for help from the hotel) pretty much every good-guy is working on the same set of info, and the audience almost always gets the clues at the same time as the characters. This really gives a nice payoff in every episode as we watch watch the crew figure shit out in clever ways. For all of Season 1's strengths, it did often feel like we were waiting for characters to find out what we already knew, or to move where we knew they needed to be, especially in the first half, so this has really been a positive change I think.

The only storyline that has been really split apart has been Bobbie's. That's why why the early Mars Marines scenes felt so awkward, because they were still in that Season 1 mode of "This doesn't really have any payoff right now, but don't worry you'll need to know it later" style of serial storytelling. Getting away from that is why the showrunners are cheating a bit with her memory loss and not letting us know exactly what happened to kick off fighting. Because we're going to find out once the other characters find out, and have to respond to that info along with them, instead of waiting half the season for Holden to finally put things together.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    With only a couple exceptions, I've always shied away from purchasing TV shows because the price of even a single season of a popular show back in the late 90s and 2000s was ridiculous in my view. Even though prices have dropped considerably and it seems I can get a complete series of, say, Babylon 5, for the same price as it was for just one season back then. I still get a little gun shy.

Not so with The Expanse. S1 and 2 on Google Play :)

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Renewed for Season 3

Trace wrote: »
    Renewed for Season 3

Yep, that's what we're talking about.

My guess is that they will cliffhanger the climax of book 2/Caliban's War after putting the pieces in place for the events of book 3/Abaddon's Gate to start in S3E3 or so.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I know we're a ways from it yet, but I wouldn't mind if they skipped Cibola Burn.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    knitdan wrote: »
    I know we're a ways from it yet, but I wouldn't mind if they skipped Cibola Burn.

They really shouldn't.

It has a lot of super important stuff in it that has to be done before Nemesis Games.

What they can do, though, is relegate it to a three or four episode arc.

Also (don't read, show only people)
    It's Ghost Miller's final fate. They're going to want to let Thomas Jane go out with a badass setpiece, which Cibola Burn provides.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Oh brilliant
    I think it's agreed upon that the last line of S2 will be...
    ...Hey, we gotta talk.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    I think it's agreed upon that the last line of S2 will be...
    ...Hey, we gotta talk.

Riots if not.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    A minor (maybe silly?) thing... But... How can a pseudonym address itself as 'I', in the singular participle? This is breaking the grammatical part of my brain. :o

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I think it's just one of the guys writing from that account.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

So will their be a ship named after Mark Watney or a statue of Matt Damon tucked into a Mars background shot?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    GONG-00 wrote: »

So will their be a ship named after Mark Watney or a statue of Matt Damon tucked into a Mars background shot?

There is a ship called the Mark Watney in the latest book.

5gsowHm.png
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    GONG-00 wrote: »

There is a ship called the Mark Watney in the latest book.

I noticed that when I read it. Wasn't sure if it was named after an in-continuity Mark Watney, or if someone naming ships just liked old sci-fi movies. But now we know!

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure Naomi has said "work the problem" at some point too. While not an exclusively patented line, it is Watney's mantra...

Oh brilliant
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I think it's just one of the guys writing from that account.
    Yeah, Ty Franck uses the JSA Corey account; Daniel Abraham tweets under his own name.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
This discussion has been closed.