As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bad Food "Thread": Things Man Was Not Meant To Digest

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    True Story

the Mac Tonight Moon Man is a symbol of the Alt Right now!

Please tell me you are kidding

I think the saddest part about #pipe's post is that I didn't stop to question it. Like, at all.
    I just shrugged, thought "Yeah, that sounds like something that could happen" and continued reading.

Oh goddamnit

http://www.salon.com/2016/10/25/meet-moon-man-the-alt-rights-new-racist-rap-sensation-borrowed-from-1980s-mcdonalds-ads/

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Well if it's white and always watching you so what's not to love?

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    True Story

the Mac Tonight Moon Man is a symbol of the Alt Right now!

Please tell me you are kidding

I think the saddest part about #pipe's post is that I didn't stop to question it. Like, at all.
    I just shrugged, thought "Yeah, that sounds like something that could happen" and continued reading.

Oh goddamnit

http://www.salon.com/2016/10/25/meet-moon-man-the-alt-rights-new-racist-rap-sensation-borrowed-from-1980s-mcdonalds-ads/

Wow, this really upsets me.

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

Some poor community manager is fighting for their job right now.

• RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    It's a day early but I'm getting my Irish on with corned beef and cabbage, roasted parsley potatoes and Irish soda bread.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I made bread last night. It was awesome, the first time bread turned out okay. (I think it was because the temperature in my house has improved as temperatures improve, and allows the dough to actually prove).

And I just had grilled cheese with it, and good god that's an unholy level of delicious.

Last night I went sort of healthy and made fish tacos with a fresh pineapple slaw.

Tonight I'm doing pork and bacon gravy over mashed potatoes.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I ruined some tomato + meat sauce tonight :(

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

What did you do?

Can it be salvaged?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

What did you do?

Can it be salvaged?

The house or the sauce? Probably not both.

Woof, this pork gravy turned out well. I'm surprised the bacon flavor didn't overpower the other seasonings. I cheated a little because I used pork gravy packets to provide the thickening and some flavor, but who cares, tastes good.

Recipe:
    1.5lbs trimmed and rough chopped pork meat (any roast or stew meat will do)
    1 ~8oz package of sliced bacon, diced
    2 pork gravy dry packets
    2tsp diced/crushed garlic
    1.5tsp black pepper
    1.5tsp paprika
    2tsp dried thyme (or 1tbls fresh)
    1/3 cup red wine
    2 cups water
    .5 cups milk

In a dutch oven, cook the diced bacon until it's crispy, remove from pot. In batches, add the chopped pork to the pot and cook until well browned, remove the pork from the pot and remove most of the drippings/bacon grease (leave like a tablespoon at most.) Return the bacon and pork to the pot with the garlic, add the red wine and deglaze the bottom of the pot. Add the gravy packets, dry seasonings, water, and milk. Stir to combine well, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and let cook for as many hours as you'd like (1.5hrs minimum I'd say), stirring occasionally and adding milk/water to maintain your desired consistency/to prevent scorching. Serve over mashed potatoes.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I HAD CHIPOTLE FOR DINNER

BUT THE KICKER IS I FRIED TWO EGGS AND PUT THEM ON MY BURRITO BOWL AND IT WAS THE BEST DECISION I EVER MADE

PINFELDORF OUT

What did you do?

Can it be salvaged?

My proportions are all off, my pot sizes were wrong, and the seasoning is bad. I can add salt to the individual bowls as I eat them, but the texture and ratio of pasts to sauce is irreparable.

Such is life.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I have been given a jar of bacon jam and I am at a loss what to do with it. I try to think of things that it would go with but I'm mostly coming up with cheese/crackers and nothing else.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I have been given a jar of bacon jam and I am at a loss what to do with it. I try to think of things that it would go with but I'm mostly coming up with cheese/crackers and nothing else.

it's good on an English muffin or biscuit with egg

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Put some in some grilled cheese, that would be good. Or you can use it in conjunction with some burgs.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

What did you do?

Can it be salvaged?

My proportions are all off, my pot sizes were wrong, and the seasoning is bad. I can add salt to the individual bowls as I eat them, but the texture and ratio of pasts to sauce is irreparable.

Such is life.

I'm just imagining you making 5 lbs of meat with like 1 can of tomato sauce and exclaiming "well heck!" and triple checking the math.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

I would try it with nutella on a cracker or slice of bread.*

But then again, I'm crazy and make bad choices.

*It worked with jalapeno jelly.

steam_sig.png
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Imagine a bacon jam not as jam, but as bacon. Use it where you think a strip of bacon would make something better.

Shorty wrote: »

it's good on an English muffin or biscuit with egg

I can give this a shot.

Straightzi wrote: »
    Put some in some grilled cheese, that would be good. Or you can use it in conjunction with some burgs.

My only concern is that the bacon flavor is more potent and will overpower the burger. I don't really do grilled cheese, they don't fill me up at all.

I would try it with nutella on a cracker or slice of bread.*

But then again, I'm crazy and make bad choices.

*It worked with jalapeno jelly.

I am retching.
    Imagine a bacon jam not as jam, but as bacon. Use it where you think a strip of bacon would make something better.

I guess, but the texture does matter when I comes to real bacon versus the jam. I'll try it on a sandwich this weekend, see how that goes.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular

Cheeseburger ?

• cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    I like it mixed into scrambled eggs and then put on toast, personally

I can think of a lot of things that would be better with bacon.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    First things first, I'll have to crack open the jar when I get home and taste it plain to get an idea of how strong the flavor is. Then comes the experimentation.

First things first, I'll have to crack open the jar when I get home and taste it plain to get an idea of how strong the flavor is. Then comes the experimentation.

"How much can I eat with a spoon without getting sick"

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I finally replaced my dead old crockpot and cooked a chuck roast. So this week I've mostly been eating roast beef on griddle toast with sharp cheddar and brown gravy. I think I'm nearing a threshold of bachelor food, below which lies nothing but Hungry Man dinners and meat in a can.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    A friend of mine is a pastry chef and makes jam

she made a chipotle onion jam a while ago that is sweet and smoky and sharp and spicy and rich and it is seriously amazing on sandwiches and with cheese and on burgers and a bunch of other stuff.

she made a chipotle onion jam a while ago that is sweet and smoky and sharp and spicy and rich and it is seriously amazing on sandwiches and with cheese and on burgers and a bunch of other stuff.

Could probably make a killing selling that stuff online.

I could see myself using chipotle onion jam on a burger no problem, ezpz

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I finally replaced my dead old crockpot and cooked a chuck roast. So this week I've mostly been eating roast beef on griddle toast with sharp cheddar and brown gravy. I think I'm nearing a threshold of bachelor food, below which lies nothing but Hungry Man dinners and meat in a can.

That sounds really good.

bowen wrote: »

It's like a tiny little side business she does mostly for fun. Sells a handful of jars at craft fairs and stuff.

It's like a tiny little side business she does mostly for fun. Sells a handful of jars at craft fairs and stuff.

I wish I lived in Australia(..?) sometimes

• LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Vancouver, BC.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »

That sounds really good.

It's pretty tasty and great comfort food! But by Friday I am feeling gravity significantly more.

GDdCWMm.jpg

I wish I lived in Australia(..?) sometimes

Me too! I live in Canada now!

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    You need to find yourselves a farmers market for that kind of stuff.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    LaOs wrote: »
    Vancouver, BC.

Oh snap that's kinda near me, how much to ship me a jar ?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    LaOs wrote: »
    Vancouver, BC.

Oh snap that's kinda near me, how much to ship me a jar ?

I will ask if she has any left!

What did you do?

Can it be salvaged?

Such is life.

I'm just imagining you making 5 lbs of meat with like 1 can of tomato sauce and exclaiming "well heck!" and triple checking the math.

It was one pound of meat, half an econo-sized jar of tomato sauce, and a box of pasta shells.
    With measurements like that, it was more like "Ah, motherfucker" every 5 minutes.

This discussion has been closed.