As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Someone really needs to start a new thread

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    So, Drape of Shame is getting a nerf:

Is going to make it less mandatory, specially with M+ Lower Karazhan? Nope. The effect has to go entirely.

I know it sucks when you get bad luck with it dropping, but I really like the idea of super-powerful item that everyone wants. I don't know if the +10% auto attack damage is as good for other specs as it is for fury warrior, but it's nice to have something to go for other than 'whatever item level upgrade happens to drop.'

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have not done a mythic because people don't want affliction warlocks or rogues in general
    Or I deal with a language problem

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    the val'kyr pet is much more plentiful after they nerfed it.

Also it got its penchant for being impossible to find back in the days before you could upgrade pets where they were farmed to hell with people trying to get a rare.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    haha mythic star augur ahahahha

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

Is going to make it less mandatory, specially with M+ Lower Karazhan? Nope. The effect has to go entirely.

I know it sucks when you get bad luck with it dropping, but I really like the idea of super-powerful item that everyone wants. I don't know if the +10% auto attack damage is as good for other specs as it is for fury warrior, but it's nice to have something to go for other than 'whatever item level upgrade happens to drop.'

The problem is that they aren't making new items in the same slot with similar effects, so that item will ALWAYS be the best, and it's going to get continually harder to get it at higher and higher ilvls as the titanforge cap gets lifted. That +crit effect is worth way more than ilvls, so as long as it exists then a titanforged DoS will always be BiS for every healer spec. A 10%>5% nerf isn't going to change that.

They've mentioned before that they also enjoy making those effects on item, but before they've generally waited until the last tier before adding them so they don't have to go back and change them. This time the problem is worse because titanforging means the item will always be at the relevant ilvl, just increasingly harder to get.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

The problem is that they aren't making new items in the same slot with similar effects, so that item will ALWAYS be the best, and it's going to get continually harder to get it at higher and higher ilvls as the titanforge cap gets lifted. That +crit effect is worth way more than ilvls, so as long as it exists then a titanforged DoS will always be BiS. A 10%>5% nerf isn't going to change that.

They've mentioned before that they also enjoy making those effects on item, but before they've generally waited until the last tier before adding them so they don't have to go back and change them. This time the problem is worse because titanforging means the item will always be at the relevant ilvl, just increasingly harder to get.

Titanforging? Hah! M+ Lower Karazhan and the raise of M+ ilvl gear that is coming with 7.2 pretty much guarantees that every Holy Paladin (and probably most other healers) is going to have to get into as many Lower Karazhan runs as he can.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Oh shit I forgot that Karazhan is getting a M+ version. Guess we know what key you'll never struggle to find healers for.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    Oh shit I forgot that Karazhan is getting a M+ version. Guess we know what key you'll never struggle to find healers for.

Yup. Which is why, if they are serious about this, the effect has to go entirely.

• Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    They could do "your critical heals heal as if they had $flat_amount (not percentage) more spellpower". That wouldn't scale unfairly.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    If there's a lesson of this is that percentage bonuses are vastly overpowered since they have ridiculous scaling compared to everything else. See: Paragon Traits.

Last night, went to H Tich, got him to 10%. Had to pug some melee though. The 10% attempt was pretty much us healers doing as much as we can until we got dry.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Heroic Gul'dan is awfully similar to Heroic Archimonde, in that the first 60% quickly becomes a snoozefest, but the last 40% is where the REAL fight starts. Not a fan of that general flow, but it's a pretty good fight. Glad to get the kill before the inevitable 7.2 power bump

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Heroic Gul'dan is awfully similar to Heroic Archimonde, in that the first 60% quickly becomes a snoozefest, but the last 40% is where the REAL fight starts. Not a fan of that general flow, but it's a pretty good fight. Glad to get the kill before the inevitable 7.2 power bump

But, unlike Heroic Archi, there are still plenty of places in p1 or p2 where someone being inattentive costs a death. Couple of those and you're starting again.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Okay, that's kind of neat. Popped onto the PTR to check out the PvP vendors. They look to be up where the Wintergrasp portals in Dalaran used to be... how to explain it, in the Alliance quarter, where the Paladin portal is? Up the stairs, back by the tanks. That area.

The gear vendor is selling tokens for each gear slot that cost Echoes of Battle for the non-elite gear, and Echoes of Domination for the Elite gear, which comes from ashing your PvP gear. Season 1 and 2 gear don't seem to be able to be ashed, it's gotta be new stuff. Each costs 75 echoes, havn't had a chance to get a queue to pop to see possibly how many echoes you get from each item, or what the item level on the new gear is.

Another vendor sells the ensembles from Season 1 & 2. Each costs 12 Marks of Honor. The Elite Ensemble requires having gotten 2k rating in either season to buy, along with a weapon illusion.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Oh that's awesome. They do that in FFXIV and I always thought it's a really nice little touch.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    It'll be super cool then when I'm fighting something and try to tab target and my characters neck breaks while turning 180 degrees behind me

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    It'll be super cool then when I'm fighting something and try to tab target and my characters neck breaks while turning 180 degrees behind me

At which point it is staring directly at the camera. IE, you.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Worth the raid tier it no doubt cost, nyuk nyuk.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Yay. DH campaign done.

Might be time to start dipping my toes in Mythic waters.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Dear lord, heroic Spellblade is a mess.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Dear lord, heroic Spellblade is a mess.

If you're anything like my guikd, the majority of your deaths will likely be coming from two situations

1) People half-committing to colliding their frost marks and taking a bunch of ticks, instead of quickly colliding then being done with it

2) people who already popped their frost marks, running back into the raid over the top of freshly marked people. For whatever reason, people forget about the increased Frost damage taken debuff.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Heroic mode is where adhering to the mechanics of the fight becomes more important to your success than how much damage or healing you do.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Kruite wrote: »
    Heroic mode is where adhering to the mechanics of the fight becomes more important to your success than how much damage or healing you do.

Yes and no.

Decent raiders sacrifice their damage or healing to do mechanics correctly. Good raiders don't have to.

Someone who can do 600k DPS while ignoring mechanics, or 400k DPS while doing them correctly, does not deserve praise if they choose the 400k DPS option. They should be working on doing mechanics without needing to sacrifice a chunk of DPS.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    They should be working on doing them without needing to sacrifice DPS, yes, but on a fight like spellblade if you don't do them right you'll probably die or wipe the raid. So, proper execution comes first, then you smooth it out to get your dps back up, which is their core point I think.

• Options
    Ranlin wrote: »
    They should be working on doing them without needing to sacrifice DPS, yes, but on a fight like spellblade if you don't do them right you'll probably die or wipe the raid. So, proper execution comes first, then you smooth it out to get your dps back up, which is their core point I think.

That's true, doing mechanics and less DPS is by far the preferable of the two options.

• Options
    I find it really annoying people are GO GO GO in dungeons
    My brother and I were doing Maw of Souls on our warriors for the class hall the warrior tank was blazing through the dungeon as fast as he could so I missed out on getting King Ymiron as a follower because he started the boat before anyone got to loot

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    So, Unborn Valkyr isn't that common, spent all weekend looking for one and no dice.

That being said, got a more favorable lineup of pet dailies (the two beasts one in Stormheim and the forest fires one in Valsharah) which allowed me to win via old school howl bombing.

So now I'm down to just one Falcosaur mount to finish out.

Also went and tried ToT Heroic solo (10 man). Discovered two things:

*Durumu's eyebeam phase will absolutely murder you if you aren't fast enough.
    *I needed to do Animus as Prot because all of the little guys hitting at the same time are absolute murder on ret (as in, I was going from 100% to 0 on health in the blink of an eye).

So now I just need 3 more achievements to finish out for my Armored Skycreamer mount, unfortunately I think all 3 require a group to do (the smashing lightning orbs together one on the first boss, the egg one on Ji-kun, and the crossing the streams one on Durumu).

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    The Durumu one is soloable but it's a bitch. I haven't attempted it yet. You need to do it on Normal since, as you noticed, the Heroic version of the fight has a stacking healing debuff (though I have unconfirmed info that you can bubble and use other Pally ability shenanigans to clear it).

The others, I can't remember but I'll look into them.

Animus is a giant douche. Also the baby animuses (if you didn't know) get a stacking damage buff when they have others nearby (I think within 5 yards). I got through it with my Enh by burning down the boss via Lust + cooldowns before I got overwhelmed.

Sorry about the Val'kyrs. I guess I just managed to have very good experiences any time I went looking for them (it also helps that I was doing Northrend Safari with my daughter when I wanted to start looking for two additional Valks as backup). What's interesting is I haven't tried Howl Bomb like....at all, because they changed the ability lineups for the Water Spirit. For the Stormheim "partners," I just used all-mechanical teams to blow up the beasts.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Remember poking 10 man H ToT, it went mostly fine until Dark "fuck you that's why" Animus rekt me. But that was with a lot lower ilvl.

On stuff, did a quicky Nightbane run before reset (first time that I bother) and nailed the mount. Want to do the +15 in time push, but got distracted during the weekend by rushing through almost all the Glory archies except a Violet Hold one (sigh) and the Vault ones, so only got up to +13. That was really exhausting.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Update: Manned up, did my own group and knocked up all 3 Vault archies. Met a Fury Warrior with a Corrupted Asbringer mog, never have seen that in live.

On Violet Hold, bosses up this week are Anub'esset, Blood-Princess Thal'ena and Sael'orn. Blizz, if you are going to have a weekly rotation, could you at least make sure than an archie boss is up every week? This is annoying since I'm only missing the Festerface one.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Update: Manned up, did my own group and knocked up all 3 Vault archies. Met a Fury Warrior with a Corrupted Asbringer mog, never have seen that in live.

I think it's awesome to see players who were hitting that level of content when it was fresh still in the game.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

I think it's awesome to see players who were hitting that level of content when it was fresh still in the game.

I was legit startled a couple years back when someone ran in front of me with the original scarab mount.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Log on to quick knock out the Kirin Tor emissary bag... fly to Azsuna... I start doing the floaty orb one.... look off to the side.... Holy crap it's an Ephemeral Crystal!!! Very quickly NOPE out of that bubble to grab it... start circling the island like mad....

In the end?

Edit: Aaaaand I just turned in the emissary quest and there was a friggin' legendary in the bag... WTF is up with my luck tonight?

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

I was legit startled a couple years back when someone ran in front of me with the original scarab mount.

There's a guy in our small super-casual guild who's been using the Hand of A'dal title for a while. Everyone has been properly impressed, but then one evening we got talking about titles so he decided to switch.. to his Death's Demise title.

I mean, I used to be a pretty hardcore raider. But it still feels weird to see people like that in our ambition-free guild where people mostly just run old raids for mounts.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I was sat on the bench for my guild's Yogg0 realm first. Didn't bother me too much at the time, but at the start of Legion I reached out to my old raid leader from those days and recruited him into our now one-night-a-week casual heroic raiding guild.

I've already promised him that he's getting benched for something in retaliation, if I can find the opportunity.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I mean, I've been playing WoW for about that long, but that's because I've played it so casually that it was basically impossible for me to burn out. I'm sort of impressed by the (current & former) hardcore raiders who've kept that love alive.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »

There's a guy in our small super-casual guild who's been using the Hand of A'dal title for a while. Everyone has been properly impressed, but then one evening we got talking about titles so he decided to switch.. to his Death's Demise title.

I mean, I used to be a pretty hardcore raider. But it still feels weird to see people like that in our ambition-free guild where people mostly just run old raids for mounts.

I refuse to change out my Immortal title :P Ah those were good times... that said, I don't know if I can stand that anymore. Been through too many expansions of disappointments largely due to hard-core raiding.

I mean, the list off the top of my head:
    -That guild I got Immortal in broke up because the raid leaders were sick of trying to down Yogg. That was basically my end of raiding for Wrath :( (I mean, you could pug ICC but it was rare you got beyond Deathbringer Saurfang). I did try to join another guild but they really just sat me the whole time (like literally I never got to go), so I quit that one...
    -I was supposed to get the legendary daggers in Cataclysm, but then most guild members decided they'd rather play Star Wars:TOR and the guild died. *sigh*
    -We were getting some awesome mythic kills in SoO, but after taking "too long" (i.e. a couple weeks) to down Malkorok (because people are dumb and can't stop standing in things, not because we didn't have the DPS or whatever), our ass of a raid leader started becoming even more of a jerk and tried to force me to switch specs to Combat, which I hate. I refused and sat out the rest of it. Actually felt good. I quit that guild in Warlords when right at the start he was bitching that I wasn't running enough Heroics and instead was working on my Garrison. Surprise, that guild folded shortly after! :P

After the Warlords guild server transferred due to lack of attendance, I kind of burnt out on trying to care. That said, some friends on another server were running Emerald Nightmare so I was running it with them. It was pretty fun. They were trying to get me to server transfer over. I was almost about to do it.... then they broke up due to loot drama.

So yeah.... I think reasons like these are why former hard-core raiders sometimes don't mind non-hard-core guilds :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    The thing that keeps me out of the really casual guilds is that I absolutely can't stand playing with people who don't try to be the best they can be.

I have absolutely no expectations of anyone spending 40 hours a week playing the game, but I do have the expectation that they'll do everything they can to play the best they can for the hours they do play. That means putting in the effort into knowing how to play your class, putting in the effort to learn proper keybindings, and other similar things.

Casual guilds tend to be full of people who actually aren't casual at all, and end up spending 2-3 hours a night farming old raids and pets, but who put absolutely no effort into being good at the game when they do play.

More power to them, play the game the way you want, but I just can't play with those people. I've been in guilds like that before, and the moment you bring up that maybe someone shouldn't be keyboard turning, or that maybe the rogue should use more abilities instead of sitting at 100 energy autoattacking for 10 seconds at a time, suddenly you're the asshole.

I'll happily play with the guy who can only log in for a few hours on a Saturday afternoon because he works hard and has kids, but actually cares about doing well, over the guy who claims to be casual to justify never bothering to learn to play, but instead plays for 3 hours every night sitting in Dalaran and doing old raids.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    I do try my best but because of the hours I work and the lack of time I can play I guess I am casual but then I really don't raid

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I actually want to organize something one night a week for NA Horde, but the last time we tried to do that via Discord, it all sort of crumbled. The problem when you say, "we'll take anyone who wants to come," is that everyone has this one more thing they are working on and therefore can't make it. And since it's entirely cross-server, you can't toss out any sort of calendar invite (I'm not sure how you'd do it, but I'd love to see something like this added to group finder).

For example, there are some annoying achievements that I know multiple people need (there's about 2-3 in ToT; there's *always* the Only The Penitent achieve in Firelands); I know people are working on old school legendary progress (Shadowmourne, Daggers, Tarecgosa staff...); and there's always mount farms that can go that much faster with a group.

This discussion has been closed.