As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ralph Nader Appreciation Thread [Cars]

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Hey speaking of Deloreans what ever happened to the dude that bought the old factory and said he had enough parts to build like 1000 new production models?

Did that go anywhere?

Yea I believe they are in business. I looked into it a few months ago. A factory spec one runs about 40k-50k dollars. Ones with upgraded motors/brakes/suspension can clear 65k.

Something to be said to have a real Delorean with zero miles on the odometer.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    For a long time the plan to replace my wife's old carrola once we got student loans paid off was a FRS/BRZ, but I'm gonna be hella tempted to go for the MX-5 RF. We don't have space for a 3rd car so it'd be a daily driver, and Wisconsin is too shitty weather wise for a soft-top 70% of the year. Giving up a back seat, and about 45HP. But not having to feed it premium gas would be nice.

Plus I think it just looks like pure fucking sex.

02.2_OVERVIEW_Feature_RHD_960x470px.jpg

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/mazda-mx-5-rf-vs-toyota-gt86-ps25k-sports-car-battle#1

BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Hey speaking of Deloreans what ever happened to the dude that bought the old factory and said he had enough parts to build like 1000 new production models?

Did that go anywhere?

A little bit. The guy runs his company out of Humble TX, and the cars were a mixture of old, new and used parts and were basically on 1980's titles. Supposedly this year he is going start doing complete new build DMC-12s. But it's dependant on him finding a company that will sell him engines and gearboxes.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So we're moving in a couple of months and it will mean we need to get a second car. The D isn't going anywhere so the wife needs a car and she's a rare deepwater tree hugger and likes the idea of a Subaru. I think I can maneuver this into our second car being a WRX pretty easily, which I think is just grand.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    They bring the Levorg to the US yet?

No?

Carry on.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »

No?

Carry on.

Oh my God is that a WRX wagon!?

What the fuck do I have to do to make that thing come stateside?

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »

No?

Carry on.

Or even give us back a damn STI hatch /weep

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    emp123 wrote: »

No?

Carry on.

Subaru, in their infinite wisdom Japanese-ness, say it stands for "LEgacy, reVOlution, touRinG". So still technically a Legacy Wagon?

Wish the STI version came with a stick, though.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    THAT'S the Miata now?

Wow.

It's the retractable hardtop version. I think its the better version of the two, even if it adds 100lbs.

HOW DARE YOU. One does not simply ADD weight to a miata. Plus it is an extra $4k

Overall the car is pretty damn sexy.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    The FR-S/BRZ is such a beautiful car.

If only it had an AWD option.

It does, it's called the Subaru Impreza. Even comes with two extra doors!

Look, man, I HAVE an Impreza, 2009, bought it new.

But the current Impreza and WRX are both not that great looking. Subaru isn't known for making cars with striking looks (Save that 2014 WRX Concept, which was the most amazing thing I've ever seen from Subaru), but the BRZ is just so pretty.

If i remember correctly the body design/looks of the car was done mostly by toyota

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    THAT'S the Miata now?

Wow.

It's the retractable hardtop version. I think its the better version of the two, even if it adds 100lbs.

HOW DARE YOU. One does not simply ADD weight to a miata. Plus it is an extra $4k

Overall the car is pretty damn sexy.

Yea, in either version it is a looker this generation. If I got one though it would have to be in red. Whatever shade of red Mazda uses is just beautiful on the Miata.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Maybe it's a sign that I've grown as a man, but I've come to like the look of the front of the NA Miata. It's just looks so happy. It's a perfect look for bombing around a track. Basically the car is just going "wheeeeeeee."

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Decius wrote: »
    Maybe it's a sign that I've grown as a man, but I've come to like the look of the front of the NA Miata. It's just looks so happy. It's a perfect look for bombing around a track. Basically the car is just going "wheeeeeeee."

mazda-mx-5-miata-happy-car-teeth-grille-insert-1.gif

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    hUo4f91.gifv

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I had an NA Miata when I was in the States, a '92 car. Absolutely brilliant little vehicle, so much fun to drive and always put a smile on people's faces - but mine most of all.

I've often considered getting another one; probably an NC, but yeah, the ND is a real looker in both variants.

I always loved pop-up headlights, and the NA not only has some of the best looking ones Of any car, IMO, but the mechanism (IIRC) was bulletproof.

Awesome, awesome car.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Decius wrote: »

It certainly stands out as more and more car designs try to go for aggressive looks and vehicles in general get fatter.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    For a long time the plan to replace my wife's old carrola once we got student loans paid off was a FRS/BRZ, but I'm gonna be hella tempted to go for the MX-5 RF. We don't have space for a 3rd car so it'd be a daily driver, and Wisconsin is too shitty weather wise for a soft-top 70% of the year. Giving up a back seat, and about 45HP. But not having to feed it premium gas would be nice.

Plus I think it just looks like pure fucking sex.

02.2_OVERVIEW_Feature_RHD_960x470px.jpg

Wait, the RF has 45 less horsepower?

So like 12.5 horsepower in total?

• Options
    edited March 2017
    I think he means 45 less HP than the BRZ/FRS.

Looking at HP per ton the BRZ does squeak it out with 148hp/ton versus the Miatas 124hp/ton

The Miata really needs a turbo charger to get it up to around 225hp, or about 180hp/ton. Bet it would go like greased lightning then.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    My '94 miata that I turboed was ridiculously fun. Great little autoX car.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    My '94 miata that I turboed was ridiculously fun. Great little autoX car.

Yea my buddy has one of the few Mazda Speed NB Miatas an that fucker scoots. Holy hell. It's so small and you're so low to the ground.

• Options
    Wait there's no WRX hatchback? That's disappointing.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Mazda should just buy a run of LS engines from GM and bolt them into like 500 Miatas from the factory. Charge 50k and watch them fly off the lot.

Shit would be bonkers.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »

Don't get me started. I had an OG WRX wagon (saabaru version) and it was the perfect vehicle short of a meh interior. The fact that they killed it stateside is nuts, as there are SO MANY wagon buyers for subarus and there's currently no performance wagon from them.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »

Don't get me started. I had an OG WRX wagon (saabaru version) and it was the perfect vehicle short of a meh interior. The fact that they killed it stateside is nuts, as there are SO MANY wagon buyers for subarus and there's currently no performance wagon from them.

Well, yeah. We are going to end up with an Outback now, I guess. Which is fine, but come on.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Mazda should just buy a run of LS engines from GM and bolt them into like 500 Miatas from the factory. Charge 50k and watch them fly off the lot.

Shit would be bonkers.

I found out that someone made an LS Delorean. But they are using the stock Renault UN-1 transmission. Admittedly it's the one they made for Lotus which is a bit beefier but it just seems like there is a ticking clock till the transmission explodes.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Shit would be bonkers.

I found out that someone made an LS Delorean. But they are using the stock Renault UN-1 transmission. Admittedly it's the one they made for Lotus which is a bit beefier but it just seems like there is a ticking clock till the transmission explodes.

I posted that video last page.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options

Well, yeah. We are going to end up with an Outback now, I guess. Which is fine, but come on.

CPO Volvo wagon?

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    desc wrote: »
    The S3 is such a cool little car although my GTI got pretty maintenance heavy around 95,000+ miles

What did you get hit with from it? I had to do the normal 100k service on mine, and I had rear wheel bearings go bad and replaced those, I had a "very small evap leak" code at one point that cost me $175 at the dealer to diagnose and fix, and the smaller radiator fan failed and had to be replaced. Oh, and two valve cover gasket failures in its lifetime so far. Because apparently they're made out of paper mache. I'm almost to 160k on mine now, hoping to get to 200k without anything major.

@matt has a problem it wasn't anything big or catastrophic with the drivetrain, just this rapid accumulation of stuff -- the in dash screen would blink on and off and glitch out any time the air outside was hotter than 88 degrees; the sun roof would open itself a few times every drive; the air heater had some problem and would only work for ten minutes or so; I was either burning or leaking oil but none of the mechanics or a dealership could agree; etc

After the second coil failed I got tired of constantly getting stuff worked on with all these constant quality of life problems persisting and costing more than the car's KBB resale value if I really wanted to tackle everything

I absolutely loved the car overall and I will happily point out that it was ten years old but like, around 95k it just felt like problems stared multiplying but I still racked another 60k miles onto it after that anyway -- but for the exorbitant fees they charge for Audi badges anything, I would not want a TT or an S3 popping the sunroof up and down while I topped off the oil yet again

desc on
  • Options
    So I've taken the mustang up to the canyons in north Malibu area every weekend the last three weeks since I bought it

Fuckin' A

I like this car

Ford Performance street springs and their own ECU tune are definitely coming

• Options
    My car has developed it's first (maybe) significant problem.

There is a whine coming from the engine that goes up and down in pitch and volume with the RPM.

It seems that it could be:
    A) A belt (Better not be, I just had them replaced in September)
    B) Low power steering fluid
    C) A bearing

sonofabitch

• Options
    B would only occur under steering pressure, not RPM.

• Options

CPO Volvo wagon?

Or a new one, assuming Volvo still makes wagons over here.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular

CPO Volvo wagon?

They do, and their R Sport seats are super comfortable.

• Options
    Oh no.

Someone around here got an AZ-1. Now I get a constant reminder of my desire for one.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Shit would be bonkers.

I posted that video last page.

Shit, I missed that.

• Options

CPO Volvo wagon?

Depreciation on volvo wagons is still dumb, so unless you need a new v90, there's zero reason not to buy one with 15-20k on the clock for a huge discount.

• Options
    My car has developed it's first (maybe) significant problem.

There is a whine coming from the engine that goes up and down in pitch and volume with the RPM.

It seems that it could be:
    A) A belt (Better not be, I just had them replaced in September)
    B) Low power steering fluid
    C) A bearing

sonofabitch

Dollars to donuts its the belt auto tensioner. Every time I've had a squeal under the hood and it wasn't the belt, it was the tensioner. I've never had a pully fail on the A/C or Alternator or anything like that.

• Options
    I just dropped my car off at the mechanic, so we'll see.

• Options
    Technology is dumb

One of my two USB ports stopped working which is apparently super common

Rather than unplugging the battery and wiping all the logged data and so on I will try pulling and then reseating the fuse that covers the SYNC system per the internet's advice

This discussion has been closed.