As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"[Obamacare] is the law of the land" - Paul Ryan; AHCA Round Two soon??

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    As soon as the Democrats loudly say "here's our solution," the politics get much easier for the GOP, who can say "hey at least the AHCA is better than that garbo Dem bill." This is some delicate judo here and just because your opponent says "Oh yeah? Gimme your best punch, right here," doesn't mean you should listen and start boxing instead. Because if they're asking for it it's because they know how to handle it.

I seriously wouldn't bet at this point that any Republican has an actual plan or thought beyond the superficial. If they say "Oh yeah, gimme your best punch," it's because they believe that the Dem's best punch will be a limp-wristed slap they can laugh off, not because they had some kind of Dr. Doom plan. Of course, all the people far smarter than them, especially in the media, will speculate that perhaps they did, but the only foresight they've shown thus far is for marginalizing minorities.

Indeed , one area where the republicans have routinely been wrong is assuming that the democrats (like them) couldn't come up with a popular policy to implement that would actually solve problems. Or wouldn't be willing to sacrifice to achieve some greater goal. The democrats should go all out on this 'bet you cant do better!' Statement because they absolutely could.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    spool32 wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Priest wrote: »
    I gotta say I've never seen such a craven attack on social services. Do these guys not realize that this is how you literally get guillotines and mobs in the street? We may have moved beyond that era, but the sentiment is the same: People will get violent over this stuff, and that's not good. This is a frightening amount of ignorance.

Edit: I seem to remember a Denzel Washington movie some ages ago where he holes up in a hospital and takes some hostages to get his son health care. Desperate people take desperate measures.

Same thing with food and a lot of basic services.
    KetBra wrote: »
    Top GOP senator to Democrats: Offer your own bill to fix ObamaCare
    Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) said Tuesday that if Democrats don't like a House bill to repeal and replace ObamaCare, they should offer their own legislation.

"if you don't like this proposal, then what's your suggestion? What's your suggestion?" he asked during a weekly Senate GOP leadership news conference.

"I'm sensing that they're just sitting back on their hands and taking great glee, great joy, out of seeing this market place of their creation melting down and people being left high and dry," he added.

...they are so bad at this.

Oh Cornyn, you gigantic asshat.

They have done that. They tried to do that. Y'all shot them down.

This is your own damn making. Yeah, democrats are gonna get some fucking joy out of making you eat the shit sandwich you've run on for 6 years now.

Though, we'd better have the 'fix the parts of Obamacare you broke for no reason bill" on the table tomorrow

1) all states compelled to take Medicaid expansion
    2) no way to lose a dollar of coverage assistance by earning a dollar. Each dollar earned by an individual or family must return a post taxation benefit to them after their decline in subsidy assistance
    3) restoration of risk corridors.
    4) in any market where there is only one insurance provider, 'purchasing' access to Medicaid is an option for everyone. In addition, big incentives for a second provider to enter the market and compete.
    5) Sexual health services in all plans

Number one is unconstitutional, and number two makes no sense.

I think the idea of number 2 is fixing that subsidy gap where people make too much to qualify for help but not really enough to make the premiums affordable. Somehow there needs to be a way to either increase the phase-put of subsidies to a higher level or make the paying of out-of-pocket premiums more bearable via tax credits/something else. That's where I figured that was going.

Edit: I should refresh the thread before posting, dammit.

N1tSt4lker on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    As soon as the Democrats loudly say "here's our solution," the politics get much easier for the GOP, who can say "hey at least the AHCA is better than that garbo Dem bill." This is some delicate judo here and just because your opponent says "Oh yeah? Gimme your best punch, right here," doesn't mean you should listen and start boxing instead. Because if they're asking for it it's because they know how to handle it.

I seriously wouldn't bet at this point that any Republican has an actual plan or thought beyond the superficial. If they say "Oh yeah, gimme your best punch," it's because they believe that the Dem's best punch will be a limp-wristed slap they can laugh off, not because they had some kind of Dr. Doom plan. Of course, all the people far smarter than them, especially in the media, will speculate that perhaps they did, but the only foresight they've shown thus far is for marginalizing minorities.

Indeed , one area where the republicans have routinely been wrong is assuming that the democrats (like them) couldn't come up with a popular policy to implement that would actually solve problems. Or wouldn't be willing to sacrifice to achieve some greater goal. The democrats should go all out on this 'bet you cant do better!' Statement because they absolutely could.

Just own the ACA and point out they did improve things. Then ask the GOP why they made it so hard if they didnt have any better ideas?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Washington Post reporter:

He really might just care about "winning" with no care for the content.

I thought that has been blatantly obvious throughout ALL of his campaign and his presidency so far. He cares about being adored and about being perceived as successful and a winner. Everything else doesn't matter in the slightest.

Not quite. The white supremacy matters to him a lot too.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    The Budget Committee is currently debating cutting funds to Planned Parenthood in the ACHA.

There is one woman on the committee, but she isn't helpful.

Per Buzzfeed's Capitol Hill reporter:

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    A video from the Tucker Carlson interview of Trump yesterday.

His response to every criticism until the bill is passed is going to be that it is still being negotiated.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    JoeUser wrote: »
    The Budget Committee is currently debating cutting funds to Planned Parenthood in the ACHA.

Democrats trying to block AHCA from cutting funding to Planned Parenthood. Rep. Diane Black (R) says the real war on women is abortion.

she's... not wrong.
    she is on the wrong side, though.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

His response to every criticism until the bill is passed is going to be that it is still being negotiated.

wow

the sheer just bluntness of it all

how do people keep voting for these people?

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

It's always lovely to see the party obsessed with the free market shibboleth of CHOICE CHOICE CHOICE do an about face when it comes to funding choices for women.

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

Well, good. I find it completely appropriate that the counties that voted for Trump be the ones most affected by the outcome of the Trump presidency. If they want to have health insurance and be better off, next time they can vote for the candidate that's promising to give them health insurance and make them better off.

My only question is, why the hell are they having that interview in a car dealership showroom?

sig.gif
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

Well, good. I find it completely appropriate that the counties that voted for Trump be the ones most affected by the outcome of the Trump presidency. If they want to have health insurance and be better off, next time they can vote for the candidate that's promising to give them health insurance and make them better off.

My only question is, why the hell are they having that interview in a car dealership showroom?

To really fucking confuse the viewer that was just told that the president that they voted for knows he's going to fuck them over.

"Wait He just said he's going to fuck us over, but he's surrounded by cars and engines and shit. I like cars and engines and shit, I like him, goooo trump, #maga"

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular

Well, Trump sorta did promise they were all going to be rich and have fucking rad jobs and cheap insurance and blackjack and hookers. Just with zero details on how that would be accomplished.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

Democrats trying to block AHCA from cutting funding to Planned Parenthood. Rep. Diane Black (R) says the real war on women is abortion.

she's... not wrong.
    she is on the wrong side, though.

On this sort of issue you have to get them to come out and say what the punishment for having an abortion will be. How many years will the woman spend in jail? If she's married, is the husband liable too? What if she's a repeat abortion offender? Is the punishment retroactive?

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Cog wrote: »

Well, Trump sorta did promise they were all going to be rich and have fucking rad jobs and cheap insurance and blackjack and hookers. Just with zero details on how that would be accomplished.

Yup. And Trump was still promising that in his not-SOTU speech only a few weeks ago.

Trump promises alot of unicorns on many occasions. It's just he also contradicts himself and doesn't say how he's gonna do that shit and when he does it's ideas that make no sense and are just racist.]

Basically Trump says a lot of shit all the time. It's why he doesn't seem to know or care what the health care plan he signs looks like. He doesn't give a shit about the details or even know or understand them. He's just saying shit that makes people like him.

shryke on
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    About the NIH getting cut 19%, Spicer literally just said "I think it's common to think that if you get less money, it's a cut"

i...don't...i...

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Yup. And Trump was still promising that in his not-SOTU speech only a few weeks ago.

Trump promises alot of unicorns on many occasions. It's just he also contradicts himself and doesn't say how he's gonna do that shit and when he does it's ideas that make no sense and are just racist.]

Basically Trump says a lot of shit all the time. It's why he doesn't seem to know or care what the health care plan he signs looks like. He doesn't give a shit about the details or even know or understand them. He's just saying shit that makes people like him.

None of this is surprising given his history. I mean, this is the man who talked about selling steaks at the Sharper Image like it was the pinnacle of farm to table butchery.

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular

I screamed at the television when he said "It's still being negotiated", like that's YOUR fucking position AAAAHHHH

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

but... it is his proposal.

Does he know how negotiations work?

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Julius wrote: »

In bankruptcy proceedings.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular

Or because they don't.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Its not though... it's really the Ryan plan.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah, Trump hasn't, or won't ever have an actual healthcare plan. At best he'll attempt to take credit for someone else's, or he'll just continue to play the 'this doesn't work and I don't really want to elaborate further' for his tenure.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

This. Trump only understands the negotiation process of "I want X, so i will ask for X+Y, so that way when I compromise for just X I win and they lose."

It just so happens that this is probably the worst way to govern.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Just own the ACA and point out they did improve things. Then ask the GOP why they made it so hard if they didnt have any better ideas?

My move would be to patch up whatever gaps there are in the ACA, or what needs updating, and run it through the CBO so they can say "here's a plan that adds an additional 1.5m people and maybe even saves money", just to help contrast how bad their plan is.

• Options
    edited March 2017

Instead, we’re going to be working to unleash the power of the private marketplace to let insurers come in and compete for your business. And you’ll see rates go down, down, down, and you’ll see plans go up, up, up. You’ll have a lot of choices.

You’ll have plans that nobody is even thinking of today. They will have plans that today nobody has even thought about, because the market is going to enforce that, with millions and millions of people wanting healthcare.

You know, the other thing about what we’re talking about -- we really have a three-phase plan. They only want to talk about the first phase. The first phase is just the most basic of phases, and then you have phase two, which is largely done by our Secretary, and then you have phase three, which is a lot of the bells and whistles. But they don’t want to talk about the bells and whistles. So they’re really comparing things to something that won’t be there for long.

He hasn't got a fucking clue what's in the bill.

EDIT: https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/03/13/remarks-president-trump-listening-session-healthcare if you need to feel impotently furious at idiocy.

Cog on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

My move would be to patch up whatever gaps there are in the ACA, or what needs updating, and run it through the CBO so they can say "here's a plan that adds an additional 1.5m people and maybe even saves money", just to help contrast how bad their plan is.

That would make a great ad. They could attach Sean Spicer's "This is government, this is not!" tirade and then "We agree."

It's not just good politics either, it's good policy.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Veevee wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »

This. Trump only understands the negotiation process of "I want X, so i will ask for X+Y, so that way when I compromise for just X I win and they lose."

It just so happens that this is probably the worst way to govern.

In this case, he promised X, is asking for .25X, and is saying that they (they who?) are going to compromise to X+∞

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

Instead, we’re going to be working to unleash the power of the private marketplace to let insurers come in and compete for your business. And you’ll see rates go down, down, down, and you’ll see plans go up, up, up. You’ll have a lot of choices.

You’ll have plans that nobody is even thinking of today. They will have plans that today nobody has even thought about, because the market is going to enforce that, with millions and millions of people wanting healthcare.

You know, the other thing about what we’re talking about -- we really have a three-phase plan. They only want to talk about the first phase. The first phase is just the most basic of phases, and then you have phase two, which is largely done by our Secretary, and then you have phase three, which is a lot of the bells and whistles. But they don’t want to talk about the bells and whistles. So they’re really comparing things to something that won’t be there for long.

EDIT: https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/03/13/remarks-president-trump-listening-session-healthcare if you need to feel impotently furious at idiocy.

Well, the problem with what he's saying isn't really that he's mischaracterizing the bill, it's that he's complaining that nobody is talking about phase 2 (a bill that doesn't exist in even outline form, which won't pass due to the filibuster because it has to do with all the non-budget-related aspects of the ACA and therefore can't be passed via reconciliation) and phase 3 (of which the most detail we've heard discussed is literally the literal phrase "bells and whistles").

It's like saying, "Baby, it's really unfair of you to harp on how much you dislike this box full of angry, smelly bees I got you for your birthday. You should really be taking into account the awesome presents you're getting for Christmas and our anniversary, neither of which I have even considered, let alone bought, wrapped, or told you about."

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    My understanding is that "phase 3" just means regulatory changes at HHS and CMS that are at the discretion of the Department.

• Options
    The really annoying part about that transcript are all the hand picked stooges they have there to tell him their story about how on Obamacare their premiums went up 6000% and the government told them they can't see any doctor except Doctor Doom.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    If Trumpcare doesn't work, he'll probably try to pass the blame on to Democrats because they wouldn't "help out" or something, and it will probably work (for him, at least).

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    If Trumpcare doesn't work, he'll probably try to pass the blame on to Democrats because they wouldn't "help out" or something, and it will probably work (for him, at least).

He's already said he might just leave Obamacare to 'fail' and then blame Dems.

Granted, it's not failing, but I assume they'd do something to make it impossible to succeed.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    The Trump admin can make the ACA fail, or at least get significantly worse, using administrative discretion. Trump is probably wrong that he can get the electorate to blame Obama for that failure, given that the base can probably at least see the logic in "Trump runs the country but didn't do what he said he'd do, and what Republicans have been saying they'd do for ages now."

But then who the fuck knows? 45% of the country are morons or moron enablers. Part of me wonders why Trump and the GOP aren't flat out lying about what's in the bill. "The AHCA calls for every American to receive a blowjob from a sexy nurse while punching a Democrat in the face. Call your Congresspeople now to demand they pass the AHCA." Instead they're trying to weasel their way through it, which doesn't work nearly as well as the bigger lie.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not sure how well the "let it fail and blame the dems Obama" plan will work out. To his base, he'll have failed on one of his big promises, and to everyone else? Well, they're either paying attention, in which case it wouldn't work anyway, or they'll likely just blame the party in charge at the time...which is him

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    I'm not sure his base will turn on him, 'fake news', those damn liberals stopped him etc etc. I don't know what it would actually takebfor them to abandon trump.

But yh everyone else will either blame the party in charge or is paying enough attention to see what happened.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular

I don't know the exact context of those remarks, but how is nobody asking him or saying to him "Well Mr. President, you can talk about Phase 2 and 3 right now. In detail. Why wait for 'them (whoever you mean)' when you can tell it like it is now?"

• Options
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/who-to-trust-when-it-comes-to-health-care-reform-trump-supporters-put-their-faith-in-him/2017/03/16/1c702d58-0a64-11e7-93dc-00f9bdd74ed1_story.html
    Whom to trust when it comes to health-care reform? Trump supporters put their faith in him.
    NASHVILLE — Soon after Charla McComic’s son lost his job, his health-insurance premium dropped from $567 per month to just $88, a “blessing from God” that she believes was made possible by President Trump.

“I think it was just because of the tax credit,” said McComic, 52, a former first-grade teacher who traveled to Trump’s Wednesday night rally in Nashville from Lexington, Tenn., with her daughter, mother, aunt and cousin.

The price change was actually thanks to a subsidy made possible by former president Barack Obama’s Affordable Care Act, which is still in place, not by the tax credits proposed by Republicans as part of the health-care bill still being considered by Congress.

[...]
    Trump is already getting credit for the work of a black guy.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Just when you thought it couldn't get worse ...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/16/politics/health-care-bill-leadership/index.html
    One change that House leaders are considering is adding a work requirement for able-bodied adults who receive Medicaid. The change may appease some conservatives without alienating moderates that leadership needs to hold on to.

• Options
    Just when you thought it couldn't get worse ...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/16/politics/health-care-bill-leadership/index.html
    One change that House leaders are considering is adding a work requirement for able-bodied adults who receive Medicaid. The change may appease some conservatives without alienating moderates that leadership needs to hold on to.
    The definition of moderate has gotten pretty messed up these days.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The Trump admin can make the ACA fail, or at least get significantly worse, using administrative discretion. Trump is probably wrong that he can get the electorate to blame Obama for that failure, given that the base can probably at least see the logic in "Trump runs the country but didn't do what he said he'd do, and what Republicans have been saying they'd do for ages now."

But then who the fuck knows? 45% of the country are morons or moron enablers. Part of me wonders why Trump and the GOP aren't flat out lying about what's in the bill. "The AHCA calls for every American to receive a blowjob from a sexy nurse while punching a Democrat in the face. Call your Congresspeople now to demand they pass the AHCA." Instead they're trying to weasel their way through it, which doesn't work nearly as well as the bigger lie.

1) AHCA fails to pass.
    2) Administration uses the various levers of power to break the ACA as much as possible.
    3) Tap the resulting anger at the broken ACA to rack up larger majorities in the 2018 elections.

I can't really see any reason why that wouldn't work.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
This discussion has been closed.