As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let Me Tell You About Podcasts

OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floofRegistered User regular
edited March 2017 in Social Entropy++
Hey so there are these things called Podcasts. People talk into a mic about some stuff, and then upload them to the internet. And, get this, then other people download and listen to them. Sounds crazy, I know, but it really works.

If you wanna give it a try yourself here are some suggestions from the four major types of podcast:

The Watching Stuff Category:
  • The Flophouse - Some friends watch bad movies, then talk about them**
  • We Hate Movies - Some different friends watch bad movies, then talk about them*
  • Til Death Do Us Blart - The most important rewatch podcast, it's an annual, eternal recap and review of seminal Thanksgiving classic Paul Blart Mall Cop 2. (Warning: also features the McElroy Brothers)**

The Video Game Stuff
  • The Giant Bombcast - The guys from video game website Giant Bomb talk about video games.*
  • The Giant Beastcast - Some other guys from video game website Giant Bomb talk about video games.*
  • Waypoint Radio - Some other guys and gals, some formerly from video game website Giant Bomb, talk about video games.*

The Tabletop-and/or-Improv Cast
  • Friends at the Table - A Dungeon World game run by Austin Walker*
  • Hello from the Magic Tavern - A guy from our world fell through a magic portal and chats with magical folks from other worlds*
  • Flip the Table - A different sort of tabletop thing, in which the hosts play board games, like a VCR game featuring Rich Little*
  • Comedy Bang Bang - Funny man and U2 Enthusiast Scott Aukerman and a merry band of guests perform improv sketch comedy for your amusement.*

The McElroy Family
  • My Brother My Brother and Me - An advice show for the modren era. Three brothers give advice to listeners.
  • Rose Buddies - A husband and wife recap and review episodes of The Bachelor series of reality television.
  • The Adventure Zone - Three brothers and their dad play D&D.
  • Sawb- okay you know what, just go to http://mcelroyshows.com/ for the full list. There's a lot.

Wanna talk about one of these podcasts? Wanna tell us about a podcast that's not on this list? New to podcasts and unsure where to start? Welcome home.

Edit: It has come to my attention that there are flaws in this post. For the sake of transparency I feel it is only fair to be up-front about the following changes:
1. Tabletop category modified to include improv, as there is significant cross-over between the two formats
2. McElroy presence in other categories properly labeled.
3. Implimented McElroy Alert system. * = No known McElroy Affiliation. ** = McElroys have appeared in this show before.

Thank you for patronizing my thread. Your understanding as we endeavor to serve your needs is appreciated.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

OmnipotentBagel on

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I heard brad is on cocaine

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    In the words of Grandmaster Flash, "You gone high on that cocaine. You gone crazy like a cocaine train."

CYpGAPn.png
  • replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    Oh thank god the podcast thread is back, it's been like 12 hours, it was a nightmare.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Oh thank god the podcast thread is back, it's been like 12 hours, it was a nightmare.

I was legit shocked no one had made a new one when I got up this morning.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    hello I have a corrections email for the webmaster of the original post. hello from the magic tavern is not a tabletop cast you imbecile

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    hello I have a corrections email for the webmaster of the original post. hello from the magic tavern is not a tabletop cast you imbecile
    However, Offices and Bosses is

CYpGAPn.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The MaxFunDrive 2017 episode of The Adventure Zone is a new installment of The Adventure Zone: Nights, which features the most Travis McElroy setpiece of all time
    Infiltrating the house from Home Alone

6F32U1X.png

It's cast from the top of a tavern bar or table, sir.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

hello, webmaster? it's me again. you have til death to us blart in the watching stuff category instead of the McElroy family category, ignoring precedent set by the other shows you've included in this borderline category. big fan of yours but get it together you g.d. clod

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    I've been listening to some CoolGames Inc while I'm at work, that's a pretty good podcast it turns out.

I go back and forth on CGI, it really varies for me

I don't really enjoy the episodes where they are talking seriously about what they think would be a good game idea instead of doing goofs, largely because I don't think I like the same things they like

That Lodge game sounded really bad and they were so excited about it

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group

hello, webmaster? it's me again. you have til death to us blart in the watching stuff category instead of the McElroy family category, ignoring precedent set by the other shows you've included in this borderline category. big fan of yours but get it together you g.d. clod

I consider Deathblart to be a Worst Idea of All Time project that managed to rope in the McElroys, but it's not tied to their empire. One day the mantle will be passed from them to other poor souls.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I've been listening to some CoolGames Inc while I'm at work, that's a pretty good podcast it turns out.

When CoolGames Inc isn't firing on all cylinders it can be kind of boring, but when it hits it hits pretty hard. They really need to start bringing in third parties to pitch their ideas to again, though.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular

Ghost Recon Wildlands is actually a documentary of why Brad is working at GB and why he wears makeup to cover his face tattoo, I hear.

CGI burned REALLY bright at the beginning of its run, and was a must-listen for me

it kinda tapered off somewhere around when they had infrequent releases, and despite believing in the comedic talents of both boys involved it runs really hot and cold for me now

barely bringing on guests nowadays is a huuuge downgrade from the fun of hearing them excitedly explain their bad shit to rotating execs, and changing from twitter to reddit actually lowered the quality of their suggestions I feel? maybe it's just less novel, but the format doesn't feel as fresh. I don't know what in particular I can point to here other than it syncing up with my own lessened interest in the show.

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    I go back and forth on CGI, it really varies for me

I don't really enjoy the episodes where they are talking seriously about what they think would be a good game idea instead of doing goofs, largely because I don't think I like the same things they like

That Lodge game sounded really bad and they were so excited about it

I actually really like when they hit upon a genuinely good game, but of course the best is when it's both a goof AND a good idea, like
    Six Flags Guy It Follows

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I consider Deathblart to be a Worst Idea of All Time project that managed to rope in the McElroys, but it's not tied to their empire. One day the mantle will be passed from them to other poor souls.

The McElroy flavor is unique enough that I won't dispute its validity as a "category" of sorts, but it's this proprietary flavor which should include Deathblart under its umbrella. It's not about who created the show, nor the subject matter, when it comes to the McElroys--I feel the McElroy presence is the only criterion which can substantiate the creation of an entire category devoted to them, as Rose Buddies is nominally a "Watching Things" podcast, and "The Adventure Zone" a tabletop podcast; I present no argument to reorganize these latter two, in accordance with my aforementioned view on that "je ne sais MQuoiCelroy" quality. Thank you for your time.

Your obedient servant, T. Floosevelt.

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    I haven't gotten very far into CGI yet, so I don't know how it'll end up. I can definitely see how it could have some problems later on, but hopefully I'll keep enjoying it.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I knew I kinda lost it on Cool Games Inc when I was more excited about the beginning of episode where they talk about real games stuff

I'd actually prefer a whole episode where they just talk about Zelda

6F32U1X.png
    I haven't gotten very far into CGI yet, so I don't know how it'll end up. I can definitely see how it could have some problems later on, but hopefully I'll keep enjoying it.

ABANDON ALL HOPE no it's a good time with ups and downs like any comedy podcast, i still enjoy it enough to listen fairly regularly

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    edited March 2017
    I think one of the things that hurts CGI a bit is that there are other outlets for that coveted Nick Robinson/Griffin McElroy pairing now so you can scratch that itch with Car Boys and Touch the Skyrim which have the added bonus of visuals. For me, at least, a little bit of that combo goes a long way.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

ABANDON ALL HOPE no it's a good time with ups and downs like any comedy podcast, i still enjoy it enough to listen fairly regularly

Too late I abandoned all hope as soon as you told me to. Well, time to continue my death march through this podcast.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Is Let Me Tell You About Podcasts the new hit podcast from Audio Entropy?

Peewi wrote: »
    Is Let Me Tell You About Podcasts the new hit podcast from Audio Entropy?

We tried to book the Podcast Thread Podcast but they refuse to sign on without a ridiculous rider for Hermano and we just can't afford that.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular

Hey hey, you gotta do it right.

CORRECTIONS!

https://www.audionetwork.com/browse/m/track/last-dance_64740

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I finally got around to starting The Bright Sessions the other day and now woops I'm almost caught up

So I guess it lives up to the hype

Hey hey, you gotta do it right.

CORRECTIONS!

https://www.audionetwork.com/browse/m/track/last-dance_64740

hey the trumpets part is webmaster's duty, (webmaster who has thus far been ducking my well-reasoned critique of his organizational schema)

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    edited March 2017
    So I just watched last nights car boys and the part in the car where they are sinking into like, some sort of lovecraftian horror totally gave me an actual panic attack

Chincymcchilla on
    Critiques and comments are always welcome, but nowhere do I promise to do anything other than politely read them.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

webmaster's tyranny on full display, no shame in sight... we deserve better than this my friends

one page is one page too many!!!

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    webmaster's tyranny on full display, no shame in sight... we deserve better than this my friends

one page is one page too many!!!

I give so much, spend literal minutes on an OP with formatting and links and this is the thanks I get?

If you have problems with my thread where was your thread? I didn't see anyone else stepping up to take on this burden. This forum had a need and I filled it, dammit. Is it perfect? Maybe not. Who among us can claim perfection? But I did what needed to be done.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm glad Susan Crushbone is going away. Got tired of that theme pretty fast.

I think they gotta do shorter cycles of Touch the Skyrim anyway. As great as BONE DOGG was, they hit critical mass on funny confluence of mods well before the end of his part and while there were still funny moments in his final episode, it wasn't really worth going that long for.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I'm glad Susan Crushbone is going away. Got tired of that theme pretty fast.

I will be sad to see her and her horny world go

I think 3-4 parts per cycle is good pacing.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Oh my god Scyther

• BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    That dance for me mod though.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I want a 30 video series of Susan Crushbone's horny fantasy world

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Tendon injury talk in this last Bombcast had me doing the "hah hah hah I'm laughing cause otherwise I'd be screaming" thing.

X22wmuF.jpg
This discussion has been closed.