As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ME Andromeda: Early Impressions Out, Divert All Power To Spoiler Tags

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Witcher 3 has the best horse outside of RD:R. The DA:I horse was a roomba trying to reach above it's station.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Hmm, I think I might get this on PS4, depending on the Digital Foundry report

It's just a little too weird on my PC, text is kinda hard to read and honestly I could use Playstation buttons instead of Xbox ones because my Switch has already rewired my brain on where the "a" button is

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    When Roach is good, she is very very good.
    But when she is bad, she is horrid.

• Options
    Am I the only one having trouble reading the text on a TV, by the way?

The gray text at the bottom like when you're scanning specifically, it's really hard to see

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Witcher 3 has the best horse outside of RD:R. The DA:I horse was a roomba trying to reach above it's station.

The Inquisition horse was such a bummer. They put so much work into making all sorts of weird shit for you to ride but that whole system was such trash that you never saw them.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    the inquisition horse was good when I wanted to get down from a cliff but didn't want to walk around until I found a slope

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    The first time in w3 when your dude is like just press a or whatever and your horse will just stay on the path like a damn smart car I was like holy shit oh my god

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Well, Roach was good for going in a straight line from A to B on a road, sure.

But for me he'd go from full gallop to a complete goddamn stop if so much as a pine cone got in his way crossing terrain.

• Options
    QuirkyLittleTyrantQuirkyLittleTyrant A Mug Featuring Pichu On A Cloud Registered User regular
    I finally played the trial and it's actually pretty decent so far. The animations certainly aren't the best by any means, but I'm immersed enough in the story to give it a rough pass unless it's a particularly egregious one, and there's no excuse for this much jank in a story/character focused game in this year of 2017.

The character models range from "good" to "why", and the writing has been pretty standard Bioware -- I didn't find the Chosen One stuff to be too bad considering the circumstances around it, the main plot is certainly interesting at the very least, and the characters so far are a good, fun bunch.

Also Dad Ryder stood out to me as probably the best looking character in the game for some reason, texture and modeling wise, unsure if this phenomenon appeared for anyone else.

PSN ID: Khrysocome
    Steam: ZappRowsdower
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

But for me he'd go from full gallop to a complete goddamn stop if so much as a pine cone got in his way crossing terrain.

TBF, that just makes roach feel like a real horse

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    The first time in w3 when your dude is like just press a or whatever and your horse will just stay on the path like a damn smart car I was like holy shit oh my god

This shit was so good and I'm so fucking glad Zelda stole it

Roach is a good horsey

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    My favorite little detail about roach was when you arrived in a town and dismounted, Roach wouldn't just disappear, instead she'd go amble over to find a bucket of water or a pile of hay and start contentedly munching away.

It really have a sense of personality, that yeah roach is dumb, but she's also kinda phlegmatic and even tempered, and it totally jibes with how Geralt is constantly in a state of good-natured exasperation with her.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

"What can I say? Everyone's got limits."

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I thought the gay Kaiden romance in 3 was pretty well done. Or I could have just liked it because for my cross game saves in the trilogy shep had no relationship at all in 1 or 2, and then in 3 he and Kaiden come out and find each other after knowing each other since the first game.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Roach is pretty great. She also had an awesome loyalty quest

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    This game looks real pretty and I wanna play it and smooch all the aliens.

And looking back through the last 20 or so pages since I got tagged....It makes me wanna make another animation thread. I gotta tell you, that dynamic cover stuff is real neat from an animation perspective.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    Bioware in general has a problem with making super queer coded characters that are actually straight

I can't say I'm really familiar with anything in this realm, but I don't understand why making characters not conform to expectations/stereotypes a bad thing? I understand why not having many queer characters is an issue, but not why having a character who acts like society says a gay character should act but is straight would be bad.

I feel like this post comes across as passive-aggressive but I don't mean it to be.

As far as my time with the trial I am 99% on board and liking what I see. Not a fan of your first squaddie though, the lady, on the other hand, seems pretty cool.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    There's a difference between stereotyping and coding.

It can be a subtle difference, but it's deffo a thing.

Especially in writing, it's where creators get accused of queer-baiting their audience.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    one of the issues is that they make characters that look queer that queer people want to kiss, and that which queer people can then not kiss

and then they keep doing it, every time. to the point that it's a cliche that a bioware person looks queer who is straight

as our own Ms Dapper put it on twitter, "Do they realize that people dress butch for a reason? Like it's to signify that I love kissing girls."

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Played some more of the trial, so I have some more impressions of new stuff

UI is totally fine and pretty slick in spots. The one exception? Galaxy map navigation. But only because they decided to force you to watch an overly-long "flying through space" animation every time you switch to a new planet. It is annoying in a "please stop wasting my time" sort of way.

Also landed on my first planet. So far I've liked how sidequests are marked, and the layout of Eos definitely has a DAI feel to it. Unfortunately, weird animations persist, and that seems to extend to companion pathfinding when you're just walking around. They like to bumble into objects and make grunting noises as if they've been hit by something, or jump randomly around. It's somewhat distracting, to say the least.

I've definitely been nitpicking some of the dialogue, too. I think the main issue is that there's too much that's been written. My prime example? The scene where you meet Vetra:
    (very minor early-game spoilers)
    So in order to get your ship off the ground immediately, Vetra bribes this random worker by saying she'll pull some strings to get his son thawed out of cryo much earlier. There's an exchange that goes like this.

Worker: They told me he was nonessential. But I miss him.
    Vetra: I know. I have family, too.

Which is a little clunky, but works. But you could immediately improve it by chopping off both of the second sentences.

Worker: They told me he was nonessential.
    Vetra: I know.

Put the proper emotion into the worker's first sentence and it'll make the second sentence blatantly apparent without him having to say it. And Vetra's little "I know" says what's needed without the second sentence hanging out there feeling superfluous. Could you workshop both of those lines to read more naturally? Certainly. But chopping stuff off is at least a moderate improvement.

I don't really think ME:A's problem is necessarily bad writing so much as overwriting mixed with voice acting that sometimes doesn't feel like it's skilled enough to let them write fewer words.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Finally tried the single player and yeah, it's completely easy to make a Ryder that isn't a nightmare terror like the premades.

Animations outside of the "Seinfeld bit" seem fine. Some jank, but nothing outside the Bioware standard, really. Digging the hodge-podge nature of the Initiative and Ryder not being the apex of humanity like Shepard and their crew were, it's a nice approach that stands out even this early on.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    one of the issues is that they make characters that look queer that queer people want to kiss, and that which queer people can then not kiss

and then they keep doing it, every time. to the point that it's a cliche that a bioware person looks queer who is straight

as our own Ms Dapper put it on twitter, "Do they realize that people dress butch for a reason? Like it's to signify that I love kissing girls."

Bioware seems to have no problem including straight femme characters on the regular

I don't know if there's a term for this, but I've noticed a thing where creators will subvert stereotypes or make points in ways that also frustrate the people they're trying to bat for
    Rust does this with its fixed sex/race system - where the game picks out those things for you and never lets you change them
    which might send home a point to cis white dudes out there - but at the same time frustrate underrepresented people who want to play characters that look like them

subverting stereotypes should require a sufficient amount of knowledge of what those stereotypes represent, like if they are actually harmful or something embraced by a subaltern community or whathaveyou
    the easy answer, of course, is hiring more folk from those communities in a range of production roles, so you don't have to constantly fight against white men in senior staff positions who think they know everything

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    There's no way this is a previous build, this is the full game, probably with the day 1 patch

Twitter from Bioware confirmed that, yes. This is the game, with the patch.

Which kind of makes me curious what it looked like without.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    There's no way this is a previous build, this is the full game, probably with the day 1 patch

Well on PS4 at least you can see the patch notes if they wrote any.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Wait, there's not going to be actual day 1 patch to fix some of the janky animations? This IS the fixed version? Or the first attempt at fixing it anyway?

At least some of them are funny.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    The following Asari are good:

Aria
    Liara
    Aethyta
    Samara
    Shiala
    Ereba

That lady what done got indoctrinated and if you save her twice she goes on a murder spree in 3.

Also the Asari Spectre in LotSB.
    You only save her in ME1. ME2 automatically gives her a pass no matter what and then the murder spree happens in 3.

In case anyone still had this on their mind.

sig.gif
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    A day one patch was never ever going to fix wide spread animation issues

Anyone who thought so has no idea about anything to do with game dev

*edit

For clarification, animation is one of the most time consuming tasks in game development. Unless there were some exceedingly simple tech issue at the root of it (which is unlikely because then it would probably have been fixed) most of these animations would have to be addressed by hand (very time consuming) or redone entirely (super time consuming)

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    These face options are very disappointing. Wish I could just change the default's hair color or default male's facial hair.

You can't change the defaults at all?

This is the same as the OT.

If you picked the default Shep face you could not change it. This is nothing new.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    In the original trilogy it was because vanderloo shep was a face scan and not actually built in the character creator.

I don't know if the Ryders are scans tho.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    In the original trilogy it was because vanderloo shep was a face scan and not actually built in the character creator.

I don't know if the Ryders are scans tho.

They do have face models again. I don't know the process but yes they are real people.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I think they said all the presets were "based on" face scans. Which makes it even odder that you can't change the two defaults when you can change the others. It's probably more of a marketing decision than a technical one.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I think they said all the presets were "based on" face scans. Which makes it even odder that you can't change the two defaults when you can change the others. It's probably more of a marketing decision than a technical one.

Yea, It's a thing I don't necessarily agree with but it's a thing they have done before and decided to do again. My point was just that, regardless of the rest of the CC, that particular part is nothing new and shouldn't be treated as such.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Can't wait for a long time forum poster to air their grievances regarding the development of the game on the forums, only to delete everything once the Bioware cops show up.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I must have low standards but I just completed Chapter 1 and it was....fine? I mean, this isn't GOTY material but it isn't a trash fire.

Then again I did like DA2...

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    I'm not convinced on the inventory and crafting stuff

I don't know that anybody missed that in the transition to 2

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Can't wait for a long time forum poster to air their grievances regarding the development of the game on the forums, only to delete everything once the Bioware cops show up.

You what now?

Sorry do Bioware monitor these boards?

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I must have low standards but I just completed Chapter 1 and it was....fine? I mean, this isn't GOTY material but it isn't a trash fire.

Then again I did like DA2...

Well DA2 is the best Dragon Age game

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

This is like, a pretty shitty and low blow

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

You what now?

BioWare monitors you, buddy boy

Wake up!

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

You what now?

Long story, and one we avoid talking about too openly for concern that it might get someone in additional trouble. I'll send you a message.

This discussion has been closed.