As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Foreign Policy in the Age of Trump

• Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    It's now looking like Le Pen won't even place first in the first-round poll, and that her likely 2nd round opponent is the toughest one for her to beat.

Can you cite? I haven't seen any polls lately that have Macron beating her in round one. All of them have him crushing her in round 2, though.

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So... This whole Tillerson/North Korea thing.

Believe me, I am loth to agree with this administration on anything but, isn't he kind of right? I don't think the goose should've come out and said it like that, but yeah, they're getting way more aggressive and their missile program seems to be coming along at a nice clip. What's our endgame with these guys?

Edit: WaPo link for context

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/world/asia_pacific/tillerson-stresses-regional-cooperation-to-curb-north-koreas-weapons-programs/2017/03/16/4ec5e07c-09ab-11e7-bd19-fd3afa0f7e2a_story.html

Juggernut on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Diplomacy has failed so far but war is not desirable at all. Not only would it potentially hugely costly in lives, especially civilian lives, there is no real plan to deal with the collapse of North Korea.

Keeping plans on military strikes is prudent, and will have been US policy for years probably. Declaring that diplomacy had failed, we're exploring alternatives etc is just inviting war to come about.

It's probably some attempt to use scare tactics that won't work.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Yeah I agree, but it just seems like, (at least to my admittedly limited understanding of these things) that we're kind of running out of options? Pyongyang has no intention of scaling back or halting their missile program, China doesn't want to do anything that could destabilize the region and leave them (and S. Korea as well) responsible for the millions of refugees displaced by the Kim regime collapsing.

A straight up preemptive military strike would assuredly piss China off. So it seems like we should be trying to work with them to develop some sort of acceptable "collapse conditions" or something. I dunno man. This is super complicated and I don't trust these people to handle anything more taxing than Bop-it.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Merkel-Trump today.

Here's a rundown on how Merkel will supposedly approach dealing with Trump.

spiegel.de/international/world/merkel-prepares-for-difficult-visit-with-donald-trump-a-1138244.html

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    A straight up preemptive attack would piss NK off, and escalation is not something either side gets to precisely control. A preemptive strike could see artillery raining down on Seoul, and then we'd be looking at invad, ground combat, occupation etc, you can't just expect the response to automatically be proportionate. Nobody at the moment is prepared to bear the astronomical costs of reunification and that's something that could come about as the result of even a single strike because once you do that, you say "we're now using deadly force" and the basic rules of the situation change.

Don't start something you can't finish, is the theory. I guarantee you that Tillerson does not want full scale conflict, unless he's a complete moron, in which case he should stop bandying around the idea of starting on a path that could very easily lead there without the US being able to walk it back.

At the end of the day, NK solutions should be spearheaded by a decision as to whether this is a containment or reunification plan. They have always been containment; military strikes could result in a containment plan forcing a reunification situation and that's going to be rough even if it's intended as a result, never mind if it drops into the laps of the US, South Korea etc accidentally.

Solar on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    With North Korea, it's four factors.

First, as Juggernut mentions, a pre-emptive attack on, or serious destabilization of, North Korea would seriously escalate tension with China. I don't think that can be stressed enough. Because if China gets pushed too far, then all bets are off on a global economic destabilization at best, WW3 at worst.

Second, it's going to be incredibly resource intensive (both financially and manpower wise) to accomplish anything of significance. A couple of dronestrikes aren't likely to cut it.

Third, any significant military operation is going to result in the deaths of a LOT of civilians and forced conscripts. And success, is going to result in a massive refugee state. And given the Administration's policies on refugees...

Finally, while it hasn't been proven yet that North Korea has the technology to strike the US directly, it's pretty much confirmed that NK does have nuclear technology. Given the paranoid nature of the NK hierarchy, it would surprise me if NK did NOT have some kind of scorched earth policy set up, if it looks like defeat is imminent. Now, whether that trigger would be pulled or not, would depend on several factors (devotion to dear leader, choosing life imprisonment vs death). But it is something that would need to be taken into account.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Yeah, just poking North Korea with a stick then walking away isn't going to accomplish much of value. You need to follow through.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    An aspect of W's administration that I don't miss at all. They planted the seeds and fifteen years later it's bearing fruit.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    An aspect of W's administration that I don't miss at all. They planted the seeds and fifteen years later it's bearing fruit.

They're following W.'s footsteps like a road map.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/17/us-makes-formal-apology-britain-white-house-accuses-gchq-wiretapping/
    Intelligence sources told The Telegraph that both Mr Spicer and General McMaster, the US National Security Adviser, have apologised over the claims. "The apology came direct from them," a source said.

General McMaster contacted Sir Mark Lyall Grant, the Prime Minister's National Security adviser, to apologise for the comments. Mr Spicer conveyed his apology through Sir Kim Darroch, Britain's US ambassador.

Mr Spicer had earlier repeated claims that Barack Obama used GCHQ to spy on Mr Trump before he became president.

"He’s able to get it and there’s no American fingerprints on it," Mr Spicer said of the intelligence supposedly provided to Mr Obama by Britain.

"Three intelligence sources have informed Fox News that President Obama went outside the chain of command - he didn't use the NSA, he didn't use the CIA, he didn't use the FBI and he didn't use the Department of Justice - he used GCHQ."

I am patiently waiting for this administration to issue an apology to any American for the various other falsehoods they've lobbed in past months.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Rius wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/17/us-makes-formal-apology-britain-white-house-accuses-gchq-wiretapping/
    Intelligence sources told The Telegraph that both Mr Spicer and General McMaster, the US National Security Adviser, have apologised over the claims. "The apology came direct from them," a source said.

General McMaster contacted Sir Mark Lyall Grant, the Prime Minister's National Security adviser, to apologise for the comments. Mr Spicer conveyed his apology through Sir Kim Darroch, Britain's US ambassador.

Mr Spicer had earlier repeated claims that Barack Obama used GCHQ to spy on Mr Trump before he became president.

"He’s able to get it and there’s no American fingerprints on it," Mr Spicer said of the intelligence supposedly provided to Mr Obama by Britain.

"Three intelligence sources have informed Fox News that President Obama went outside the chain of command - he didn't use the NSA, he didn't use the CIA, he didn't use the FBI and he didn't use the Department of Justice - he used GCHQ."

I am patiently waiting for this administration to issue an apology to any American for the various other falsehoods they've lobbed in past months.

So... waiting for the heat death of the universe?

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Needs to be the first question at the next briefing. "It's been reported that you apologized, personally, to Sir Grant over the unfounded, untrue claim you made about President Obama using GCHQ to spy on Trump. Are you prepared to extend an apology to President Obama and the American people for misleading them?"

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Needs to be the first question at the next briefing. "It's been reported that you apologized, personally, to Sir Grant over the unfounded, untrue claim you made about President Obama using GCHQ to spy on Trump. Are you prepared to extend an apology to President Obama and the American people for misleading them?"

Ha ha Nope.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Trump is meeting with Merkel now. This is fromm a Buzzfeed editor. Why does Trump look so mad?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the answer is going to be "no" but the question still needs to be asked

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Diplomacy has failed so far but war is not desirable at all. Not only would it potentially hugely costly in lives, especially civilian lives, there is no real plan to deal with the collapse of North Korea.

Keeping plans on military strikes is prudent, and will have been US policy for years probably. Declaring that diplomacy had failed, we're exploring alternatives etc is just inviting war to come about.

the current plan of "just keep the status quo going until north korea fails on its own and then china might help us with the fallout" sucks but it beats seoul disappearing under a mushroom cloud

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Was Trump ignoring Merkel or could he not hear her? I honestly can't tell because he has that same stupid look on his face he always has.

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Trump is meeting with Merkel now. This is fromm a Buzzfeed editor. Why does Trump look so mad?

So I had originally typed, "Because people have put out guides on how to avoid his style of handshakes online" as a joke, then deleted it because this isn't the one-liners forum.

But I've been thinking about it for like, the last ten minutes, and the only better explanation I can come up with is that he's still pissed about the Hawaii court decision on his ban.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Trump doesn't like Merkel because she's a powerful woman, the same reason Putin doesn't like her.
    Rius wrote: »

Apology tour. There's no accusation lobbed at Obama they won't eventually fulfill. By the end of this administration that Bingo card's gonna be full.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    That was more awkward than any episode of the office I've ever seen

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    That was more awkward than any episode of the office I've ever seen

Merkel's look there is already beginning to become a meme :?

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    My two big worries with North Korea if we actually do take military action against North Korean military sites are:
    1. Bad things happening to South Koreans in a retaliatory strike. I am not 100% clear on exactly how effective that new missile defense system will be against North Korean missiles, and North Korea did recently show it had access to incredibly deadly chemical weapons that it could definitely try to use in South Korean urban centers.
    2. Bad things happening to North Koreans in a retaliatory-retaliatory strike and the likely civil war/anarchy that occurs in the vacuum of the current state. Because in case folks haven't learned, things can always get worse.

A distant third would be China deciding to pick a fight over it, but with how North Korea's been acting I honestly don't think they would so long as we didn't try to put troops on the ground.

Gundi on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Was Trump ignoring Merkel or could he not hear her? I honestly can't tell because he has that same stupid look on his face he always has.

He won't even make eye contact with her, so I'm leaning towards ignoring her.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    My two big worries with North Korea if we actually do take military action against North Korean military sites are:
    1. Bad things happening to South Koreans in a retaliatory strike. I am not 100% clear on exactly how effective that new missile defense system will be against North Korean missiles, and North Korea did recently show it had access to incredibly deadly chemical weapons that it could definitely try to use in South Korean urban centers.
    2. Bad things happening to North Koreans in a retaliatory-retaliatory strike and the likely civil war/anarchy that occurs in the vacuum of the current state. Because in case folks haven't learned, things can always get worse.

A distant third would be China deciding to pick a fight over it, but with how North Korea's been acting I honestly don't think they would so long as we didn't try to put troops on the ground.

If there is any sort of nuclear retaliation the whole thing goes really bad really fast. An ICBM aimed at Pyongyang is difficult to distinguish from one aimed at Beijing. And NK shares borders with both China and Russia.

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

If there is any sort of nuclear retaliation the whole thing goes really bad really fast. An ICBM aimed at Pyongyang is difficult to distinguish from one aimed at Beijing. And NK shares borders with both China and Russia.

The US has submarine and bomber nuclear capability. It's certainly capable of an unambiguously directed nuclear strike against NK (it would also not telegraph the attack).

The real problem is the global disaster that nuclear weapons targeted against human targets would represent in a modern context.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Oh my God, that Merkel thing. What a goddamn baby he is.

• Options
    Maybe she wouldn't listen to his NATO demands? NBC reporter here:

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    NBC news reporter:

Merkel could explain how Germany pays all its dues and that the two percent target was created in 2006 during the Iraq War as the USA was looking for other countries to pick up the slack so it could focus more on its own huge fuck up in Iraq and was never ever a required part of being in NATO and Trump still wouldn't understand.

Couscous on
  • Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Yeah. Every day there's a new embarrassment. I never thought I'd long for the days of Dubya. Hell, at least he could dodge a shoe and crack a joke about it after. I feel like Trump would take it right in the face and go berserk once he saw it knocked his toupee (or whatever the hell that is on his head) askew.

• Options
    Press conference now, Trump complaining about NATO money

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

And it's not like radioactive fallout stops at a border. Just a cursory glance at Google Earth puts Pyongyang less than 100 miles away from the China border. So a nuclear strike on Pyongyang is very likely to get Beijing worked up.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Trump just joked about wiretapping and how him and Merkel had something in common (Obama spying on them).

He then blamed a "later on fox" for the wiretapping thing so the German reporter who asked the question should ask fox about it.

He literally cannot take responsibility for anything.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    Usually best not to bring up past diplomatic embarrassments at your press conference, Mr. President!

• Options
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Trump just joked about wiretapping and how him and Merkel had something in common (Obama spying on them).

He then blamed a "later on fox" for the wiretapping thing so the German reporter who asked the question should ask fox about it.

He literally cannot take responsibility for anything.

he said the Fox News analyst was “very talented."

The analyst is Andrew Napolitano. He was a 9/11 truther at least as of 2010.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

the current plan of "just keep the status quo going until north korea fails on its own and then china might help us with the fallout" sucks but it beats seoul disappearing under a mushroom cloud

They don't even need to use nukes. They have enough conventional artillery aimed at Seoul to level it before anyone could do anything

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Just as a sidenote, North Korean nukes are a threat against China, Japan, and (aspirationally) the US.

Against South Korea the fear isn't really nukes, it's artillery. South Korea has a much better military than NK does, if a war broke out SK could win it on their own. But they couldn't do so before NK got off quite a lot of shots on Seoul.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

The guy's name is Mark Lyall Grant so they might have gotten his name wrong as well.

Trump now seems to be somewhat doubling down on the claim or at least claiming it is credible despite those assurances because of course he would.

Couscous on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Just pointing to public reports? Says who? What does that even meeeaaaaan?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Trump's day of no one liking him is only getting more awkward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yGKjDwWnRY

Good on the Irish PM

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
This discussion has been closed.