As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Raindrop/ [JOB] talk/ Typin' up reports in the hotbox

I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitarRegistered User regular
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXPGFqWU6xU

Warning: Video has NSFW language but is amazing.

We all gotta work, doesn't mean we have to like it. Talk about it here.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Q: Where does Miley Cyrus go to make money?
    A: T'work.

Thank you. I'll be here until that security guard there makes it to the stage.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    @Beasteh :bro:

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Kadith wrote: »
    @Beasteh :bro:

i have a weekend now so i am basically going to lay in bed and vegetate

payday is next friday and i need it like a desert needs the rain

Beasteh on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

The pause in this GIF is very well timed.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I didn't realize that my anxiety medication prescription ran out of refills so they had to call my doctor to get more refills approved

this meant I couldn't pick it up last weekend so I skipped a couple days to make the last few I had last

as a result I feel shitty today

work is fine though

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I didn't realize that my anxiety medication prescription ran out of refills so they had to call my doctor to get more refills approved

this meant I couldn't pick it up last weekend so I skipped a couple days to make the last few I had last

work is fine though

:bro:

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Beasteh wrote: »
    Kadith wrote: »
    Beasteh :bro:

a good plan.

I just wish more people would remember that there is a literal human being on the other end of the phone

and if they say they can't do X that they really do mean it because they are one of the lowest people on the great bureaucracy pyramid.

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Are you new to phone customer service or have you been doing it for a while? The stress of dealing with phone support is pretty high, especially the first couple of years. 8 hours in one day of having people scream at you is stressful. 10 hours in one day is madness inducing. 12 hours is, uh.... I hope at least you're either getting double time or only have to work 3 days a week to get paid for 40 hours. :(

People wonder why phone support often don't appear to give a shit about anything they're saying: The reason is, to survive the job you have to be able to internalize a certain proportion of not giving a shit. Otherwise, people screaming at you feels personal and your lack of power to actually fix people's problems is maddening.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    It's strange that most people seem incapable of recognizing that the rep you talk to on the phone does not personally get to decide how your problem is handled.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    <3

Liiya on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I think I am pretty much over my super fun illness, but it has resulted in a blister between two of my toes which broke today, and which is surprisingly painful and making me walk funny which is then making my whole foot ache. It being my clutch foot really doesn't help.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

work is fine though

I forgot to take mine this morning. I know missing once dose shouldn't cause any issues but when you take medication for anxiety and then realize you forgot to take it... That makes you anxious.

I went home on lunch and took it.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    After 10 years at a telecom, I'm way, way better and controlling calls than I was when I started, way more inured to people screaming or swearing, and way better at framing my words to get the most positive reaction out of my customers. I am a master at giving bad news, and and squeezing out the best possible solution from a set of bad ones. I think... I actually like customer service now?

When I started, I would have a physical reaction to bad calls: my entire body would begin shivering, and it would last basically to the end of my shift. At one point my job was entirely calling people to give them bad news, and I used to dread every call.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Thread title: A+

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

I'm not too proud to admit that I thought of it like a week ago and have been watching like a hawk for the job thread to get closed so I could use it.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    i used to work for a major bank as a phone monkey so i thought i would be fine with this job, but it turns out that inbound call centre work is still a nightmare

every stat is minutely tracked (your bathroom breaks, lunch/smoke breaks, average call time, after call work, hold time, transfer %, product present %, business promotion %, first call resolution, customer satisfaction surveys)

sat at my desk dreading the next beep hoping it will be a reasonable person with a reasonable query and not an idiot with an axe to grind is kind of really stressful

ps this may be old but its still very accurate

Beasteh on
  • Options
    i used to work for a major bank as a phone monkey so i thought i would be fine with this job, but it turns out that inbound call centre work is still a nightmare

every stat is minutely tracked (your bathroom breaks, lunch/smoke breaks, average call time, after call work, hold time, transfer %, product present %, business promotion %, first call resolution, customer satisfaction surveys)

sat at my desk dreading the next beep hoping it will be a reasonable person with a reasonable query and not an idiot with an axe to grind is kind of really stressful

I burned out of call center work after 6 months. I did cell phone support in 2001 when they were taking off but people didn't really understand them so I'd get screamed at a couple of times a day by somebody who went 1000 minutes over and didn't understand why they had to pay for it. Not much I could do except shrug my shoulders and tell them to read their contract.

God I hated that job.

• Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »

I'm not too proud to admit that I thought of it like a week ago and have been watching like a hawk for the job thread to get closed so I could use it.

I'm not too proud to admit that I had to Google it and still don't understand why it's funny.

• Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    So last year I moved to Phoenix where my husband took a new job. I was able to stay with the same company I'd been working for 9 years - took a slight pay cut with the understanding that I was maxed out at this paylevel and unable to get even merit increases. I took the position anyways knowing it'd only be for a couple of years.

I ended up getting an "exceeds expectations" - and management felt super bad about it - so they were able to do all the legwork to justify raising my pay level so I just got a promotion and a 5% raise :D. Totally unexpected. And adds more reasons why I never want to work for a different company.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I will admit that I did freak out at a person on the line from the call center for the bank when I received an email stating that my account information changed, and I haven't logged into it in months, and couldn't even remember the login information. Mostly freaking out from the whole "oh shit someone's stealing mah monies!" point of view. I did apologize profusely after I found out that the system updated my phone number with my phone number, both being the same..?

• Options

Yeah the metrics are really the worst part of the psychological torture. To not even be able to get up and take a poop without someone watching you to make sure your poop doesn't take too long is in itself, maddening. I forget about that part at my current job because I can get up and go do something without being too tied to my desk, and no one really tracks how long I'm in the bathroom.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I was fortunate enough that when I worked on the IT helpdesk here we were actually part of IT. We were in the data center, nestled between 2 of the network engineers, with the firewall guy, a citrix guy, and an AD guy on the other side of the cubicle partition. We had local admin rights so as long as there wasn't a big call backlog we could actually fix people's problems instead of routing a ticket.

We went to IT meetings and events. If we told or manager a user (usually a doctor) was rude, he'd go to their manager and back us up.

I actually really miss working on the helpdesk. I got a huge amount of job satisfaction of directly helping people do their jobs. It played really well my strengths.

Unfortunately it doesn't exist anymore. It got moved to another state to join the national team. Now they're basically any other helpdesk that can just reset passwords and (barely) follow a KB article.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    After looking on the discussion history rapidly,,, i guess the above bleu point cover most of what we need for that,,,, let propose then ARTISTIC themes for that, which i a thinkin about,,,, pls participate!

no, I won't
    because I have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    After looking on the discussion history rapidly,,, i guess the above bleu point cover most of what we need for that,,,, let propose then ARTISTIC themes for that, which i a thinkin about,,,, pls participate!

no, I won't

Do you work with a Markov bot?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    sacre bleu

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    call 911, they're having a stroke

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Found out two things today:

1) My field tech friend says that when he took the pole climbing test he had to freehand up the pole (that is, with the shoe spikes, but without the belt). Once you get to the top, you put the belt on you and the pole, do some work up top, and use the belt on the way down. This may or may not be the same test I would have to take, considering it's two different companies. I haven't seen other telecoms require freehanding. I'm realllly gonna need to practice on that climbing wall.

2) The IRS emailed to let me know of a vacancy notice on a position I had applied for back in December. I'm qualified but may or may not get a call back after this. Would be pretty cool if I got a callback!

• Options
    Did you even read the above bleu point? I don't think you're really being a team player here.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2017

no, I won't

Egyptian-French dude who currently works in japan, so I'm not gonna get snarky about his english. Well, no, I definitely will, but then I'll feel guilty.
    but the "bleu" he refers to was
    I guess we might need to focus within that week on: artificial intelligence studies applied to robotics covering the developmental aspects from pure AI/ML sides + developmental psychology studies (similar to what Yukie Nagai is doing) linking between neuroscience, psychology, and AI as well applied to robotics + user experience studies to focus on the product level of technology from the HRI side

Artistic themes? ... what? What do you want from me, interpretive dance?

... shit I just remembered I wrote a whole grant proposal based around a robot doing interpretive dance with a human. I wonder if I can resurrect it?

tynic on
  • Options

no, I won't

Egyptian-French dude who currently works in japan, so I'm not gonna get snarky about his english. Well, no, I definitely will, but then I'll feel guilty.
    I guess we might need to focus within that week on: artificial intelligence studies applied to robotics covering the developmental aspects from pure AI/ML sides + developmental psychology studies (similar to what Yukie Nagai is doing) linking between neuroscience, psychology, and AI as well applied to robotics + user experience studies to focus on the product level of technology from the HRI side

... shit I just remembered I wrote a whole grant proposal based around a robot doing interpretive dance with a human. I wonder if I can resurrect it?

Look it's important your robot is well rounded and not just technically skilled or they'll never get into a good finishing school

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

no, I won't

Look it's important your robot is well rounded and not just technically skilled or they'll never get into a good finishing school
    WHAT IS THIS HUMAN EMOTION YOU CALL "JIGGY WID IT"

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options

no, I won't

DOES... THIS... UNIT... HAVE... SOUL?

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I've worked a few call center jobs in the past

the last one I worked at was actually what motivated me to go back to school, leading directly to my current job

man did I fucking hate that last call center. So demoralizing.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    So because we lost a day for a blizzard this week they're trying to figure out if they should run Saturday and/or some on Sunday.

Everybody who would do that actual work left 8 minutes ago while those making the decision if are still in a fucking meeting discussing if maybe they should do it.

Really blows my mind that they can whiff so hard when the deadline is so very obvious.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Also last night I found out that my boss (and friend!) had to stay till 9:30 last night doing a job for the client. I didn't stay because it wasn't a sure thing and I figured it'd be a waste of time if I found out that we didn't actually need to stay.

I feel bad for the dude, that's a shitty situation to get stuck on you. I did tell him that next time they need someone to stay past our normal closing time I totally will, though.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

no, I won't

DOES... THIS... UNIT... HAVE... SOUL?

"You were programmed for country music. So...no."

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Ugh. I got more questions wrong on my grad class midterm than I thought I would and now I am in a bad mood as well as being sick.

I was so sure on several of those questions.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    A friend of mine, who was on these forums for a while, was a developer. One of the QAs submitted this shit to be fixed.

e1siyk9588xy.jpg

I save this image as an exact "how not to do this".

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    My eyes are bleeding reading that.

This discussion has been closed.