As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Iron Fist] The Last Defender

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I'm on episode 5 and it's good. The fight scene in episode 1 isn't a good representation of the fighting on a whole because that was Danny not having to put any effort into it nor having any real threat to him, kinda like how Luke Cage fights were kinda boring because most people couldn't actually hurt him so it was just him walking down halls mowing down bad guys.

BUT Danny isn't Luke and will soon have some fights that are harder and are better.

Honestly, I think the thread title is really bad for this show. It's not Irrelevant and is so far much better than Luke Cage, imo.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Episode 5
    Ward has gone from being Enemy #1 to the series equivalent of Jerry Hogarth from the comics. That was a fast transition.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    Honestly, I think the thread title is really bad for this show. It's not Irrelevant and is so far much better than Luke Cage, imo.
    Harry's proven he's more than a bit biased against the show from the start.

As to the fight scenes, I just finished 4 and it had my favorite so far.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I think the opening would be vastly improved if the calligraphy inspired effects spelled his moves in Chinese.

The opening would be vastly improved if the mo cap or whatever they used to make that person wasn't so janky.

And they would throw the kicks without locking out both legs the whole way through.

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    ep2
    oh for the LOVE OF GOD just start PUNCHING PEOPLE

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    evilthecat wrote: »
    ep2
    oh for the LOVE OF GOD just start PUNCHING PEOPLE
    If he started punching people, it would just confirm that he was the crazy person they claimed he was.

Ep 5
    Shao Luo fucking hates doors, apparently. That and axes/elevators is the only thing the Iron Fist seems to work on.

Hahaha still Ep 5
    After all Claire's seen, it's Colleen Wing that finally makes her give the "I just can't even with this shit" motion and walk off camera.

OptimusZed wrote: »
    Hahaha still Ep 5
    After all Claire's seen, it's Colleen Wing that finally makes her give the "I just can't even with this shit" motion and walk off camera.
    I watched the scene with the chemist going "NOW WE CALL MATT! CALL MATT, CLAIRE!"

I mean, we got to start pulling the defender strings together sometime soon, now would be a good time.

• Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Edit: the fights are really well done too, much more skill based than shown in any of the other shows.

Yeah. And the cuts/angles show that off a lot more than anything but maybe early S1 Daredevil. It also keeps them from cutting to prevent something from looking awkward, but I can definitely appreciate the craftsmanship of it. They feel like Jackie Chan fights, albeit without his unbelievable levels of skill.

I haven't gotten a chance to watch it yet, but I'm hoping for more technical fights.

DD fights like a crazy person, he's all in on wild swings and crazy moves

Luke fights like it's in the street, and he doesn't...care? He's very slow and deliberate but not emotional

Jessica fights like her life depends on it, there's a certain sort of frenetic energy and desperation.

I want IF to fight like John Wick, it's all sharp and technical, every action with just enough force, applied in just the right place. Make it look like out of all of them he has the most technical training. Do that and I'm on board.

I think you will be happy with it.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Just finished up Episode 4.

This is as good as DD season 1 so far. Maybe even better.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Okay so, given that the reviews were of episodes 1-6, what the hell were they on about if you guys are only commenting on those episodes thus far, and find it that good?

I won't be able to watch until Sunday, but I'm looking forward to it.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Okay so, given that the reviews were of episodes 1-6, what the hell were they on about if you guys are only commenting on those episodes thus far, and find it that good?

I honestly don't know. I'm not with the people saying it's on the same level as DD or JJ yet, and Luke Cage resonated with me more before having a kind of weak back half (that I still really enjoyed); but it's not bad. Mediocre at worst. If there's no payoff I'll be disappointed, but so far the characters seem to be fairly layered, and I have no idea what they were complaining about with the combat.

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    3 episodes in and honestly, this really feels like marvel's first miss.
    It's just soooooo. bad. :(

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Thawmus wrote: »

Im only a couple episodes in but so far it's fine. The fights range from okay to good. There are a few unnecessary flips in my opinion as far as those go.

As it stands I'd equate it to a somewhat more upbeat Arrow. The show's only real shortcoming as far as I'm concerned is he doesn't quite have the same setbacks as the other Defenders.

I got a bit into Ep 6 before restarting so the wife can catch up.

It looked like things were about to get real in a very serious way.

Quid wrote: »
    The show's only real shortcoming as far as I'm concerned is he doesn't quite have the same setbacks as the other Defenders.

I suspect he has one, it's just not front and center yet. We get glimpses of it from time to time.
    He's deeply messed up from the plane crash and losing his whole family. To the point where it really seems like all the meditation and self-control stuff is purely about keeping that in check.

The show's only real shortcoming as far as I'm concerned is he doesn't quite have the same setbacks as the other Defenders.

I suspect he has one, it's just not front and center yet. We get glimpses of it from time to time.
    He's deeply messed up from the plane crash and losing his whole family. To the point where it really seems like all the meditation and self-control stuff is purely about keeping that in check.

I get that he does.
    But compared to the other three it doesn't resonate quite as much. They've all lost or effectively lost their parents. And then a jillion other things happened to them that kind of eclipse Danny's problems.

I get that he does.
    But compared to the other three it doesn't resonate quite as much. They've all lost or effectively lost their parents. And then a jillion other things happened to them that kind of eclipse Danny's problems.

We'll see, I guess.
    At the same time, it'd probably be fine to have one of them that is just psyched to be a superhero.

He can be their Michelangelo.

I get that he does.

We'll see, I guess.
    At the same time, it'd probably be fine to have one of them that is just psyched to be a superhero.

He can be their Michelangelo.
    Oh yeah don't get me wrong, he's totally justified and probably has the most optimistic attitude of the bunch. Only two episodes in his personal story isn't quite as compelling as the others. But if he's the equivalent of the Flash for the Justice League then it totally makes sense.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I'm starting in on Episode 1

I've been OK with the rest of it.

But this scene of Young Ward Playing Monopoly is hilariously bad

Even just on a structural level, the whole scene accomplishes nothing

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    The kids are, unsurprisingly, not great. Luckily, there's not a ton of them.

Kana wrote: »
    Even just on a structural level, the whole scene accomplishes nothing
    Without going into spoilers, it definitely establishes a baseline for the relationship between the three of them that is relevant later.

• Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Ep.6
    Claire going "Sweet Christmas!"

Madame Gao still kicks ass!

Corporal Carl on
    PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius

I get that he does.

Episode 6
    There seems to be some trouble with him being an Iron Fist not in heaven. Like, doing so is a betrayal that we get from his fights with the Spider Lady and Madame Gao.

Yeah, stuff gets real in Episode 6

• danxdanx Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Yeah, stuff gets real in Episode 6

That's good. I'm 4 eps in and pretty bored.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Finished episode 1.

First, opening credit sequence was bland. Trying to copy Street Fighter 4's opening with the karate paint thing but it doesn't have an amazingly sincere song that you just wanna use for your UFC walk-out music :whistle: IN-DE-STRUC-TIBLE :whistle: .

As for the episode, nothing stands out, but it is at least moving and that is what I want to see in these shows. There's some bad parts in it, sort of baffling in execution, but it's moving and not slow like JJ or LC or back half of DD2.

I appreciate at least seeing stuff besides cheap sets in dark rooms, which are still prevalent, but they're using the outdoors more and Danny, while it sounds like he can't hide his accent half the time, is at least smiling. This crazy repress past flashback thing feels like a deliberate attempt to Dexter the character which I just don't see working.

Ward is terrible, not Chico from LC terrible but it looks like he's reading the lines off camera and looks 40, not 30 (Danny also looks 30 not 25). Joy doesn't seem to be anything and overacts laughably so when she puts her hand on Danny and he slaps it away in confusion, she looks like he just came up to her and dropped a c-bomb with a slap across the face. Colleen is a nothingburger so far. Hell, the dad is the only decent one even as he looks like Aaron Eckhart's evil twin brother. Somehow, despite hating how Big Al shows up, I at least liked those scenes between him and Danny.

There wasn't enough fighting to really judge, the only thing that was off was the weird sort of "this is now a fight scene" that sort of washes over the locations, constantly filming from the back to hide the connecting punches and kicks.

Overall the momentum is what's making it bearable, so on to episode two.

........ :whistle: IN-DE-STRUC-TIBLE :whistle:

Now watching episode 7, I feel like most of the negative (and positive) reviews is because of the whitewashing bullshit and it makes looking at anything about this show stupid because the top links are reviews talking about reviews.

Worst, this show is good. Way better than the Elektra's shit from DD season 2. It's not perfect but way better than the 14% that Rotten Tomatoes is giving it.

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Does turk show up?

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    OK I know this isn't going to bug anyone else, but I'm an asian history major it bugs me!

C'mon Danny, you're Chinese inspired

You're not quoting Zen sayings, that's Japanese. You're quoting Chan!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    I haven't read what y'all wrote, but I've been watching the first few episodes and I don't get why reviewers hated on it. Danny is like so many hippies I know! Very authentic. I love his physicality.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    This thread is basically night and day between the SE thread

Put me in the 'This is pretty bad' camp. Bad enough that I have no idea how people here are seeing something different

It's honestly no different than DD or JJ or Cage. Slow buildup to introduce characters with minor conflicts to lead up to the larger conflict. Massive shifts happen mid season and then its a rollercoaster on the way down. The only difference is that Danny embraces and is all about his good guy role where the other three kind of reluctantly go along with it.

Actually, DD was all about saving everyone too, but he was much less upbeat and positive about it.

If you would seek the truth, have no opinion.

I find Danny's conflict interesting. Dealing with his naivety of the people around him and the question of how he made it back to NY.

The Meachum family has their own issues and stuff super ratchets up in episode 7. Really curious where it all goes from here.

I like Coleen, she doesn't have a ton of interesting back story stuff but I can see her being a fun force to watch as the show goes on.

ObiFett wrote: »
    It's honestly no different than DD or JJ or Cage. Slow buildup to introduce characters with minor conflicts to lead up to the larger conflict. Massive shifts happen mid season and then its a rollercoaster on the way down. The only difference is that Danny embraces and is all about his good guy role where the other three kind of reluctantly go along with it.

Actually, DD was all about saving everyone too, but he was much less upbeat and positive about it.

Matt's approach/reason and Danny's couldn't be more different, though. Which is cool.

Yeah.

Danny is going to be an interesting character to watch interact with DD, JJ, and Cage.

I actually look forward to watching all of them interact with each other. Probably JJ the most, though.

They're doing a really good job of setting up the classic personality conflicts between the will-be Defenders without any direct interaction yet or decades of shared backstory. I can already picture Luke's reaction to Matt's crusade, and his bromance with Danny, for example.