As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] NVIDIA can't stop releasing GPUs like Oprah can't stop releasing bees

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Got my 1080 Ti on water now. Max temps I'm getting running the heaven benchmark and timespy is 49cl3x2q9mv33fm.jpg

Very happy with that. Only had time to really run a full timespy benchmark this morning and got a score of 9154. I guess that's respectable?

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    What else have you got in your setup to go with the 1080TI?

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    My result with a 4770k and a 980Ti was 5632 so nearly 10k is very, very good.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Actually, your CPU score with a 6700K shows a marked improvement over mine - your CPU score is nearly 5.5k while mine is only 3.9k.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Actually, your CPU score with a 6700K shows a marked improvement over mine - your CPU score is nearly 5.5k while mine is only 3.9k.

It's oc'ed to almost 4.7 though. That's probably why, I don't think there is that much difference between the processorso otherwise.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Karl wrote: »

I7-6700k @ 4.7
    1080 Ti (watercool heatkiller IV waterblock)
    Asus z170 WS motherboard
    32 gigs 2600 Corsair LPX ddr4
    1 tb Samsung 950 pro nvme m.2 main drive
    Watercooled by a EKWB predator 240

Think that's all the important stuff.

Bloodycow on
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Bloodycow wrote: »

I7-6700k @ 4.7
    Asus z170 WS motherboard

Is your PC a super advanced AI?

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Man i am so tempted to do something like that

Bloodycow how much did you overclock the 1080 ti? Or are you just using the boost so far and seeing how far the cooling lets it go

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Al_wat wrote: »

Bloodycow how much did you overclock the 1080 ti? Or are you just using the boost so far and seeing how far the cooling lets it go

100mhz to the core and 200mhz to the ram, but I think I could probably get quite a bit more as its staying so cool.

Also, you should go for it! I'm all for people spending tons of money on their hobbies. Plus your pc will double it's life span pretty much.

Bloodycow on
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options

I7-6700k @ 4.7
    Asus z170 WS motherboard

Is your PC a super advanced AI?

No, just spent way too much :) that's not with the 1800$ worth of 980ti kingpin cards I just got rid of to fund my 1080ti :(

― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    The limit lately hasn't been so much on temp but on voltage. The firmware only lets you drive the voltage up so high. On my cards running it at max voltage I can keep the load temps acceptable on air cooling.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Oh, I know it's basically a new version of a Quadro card. I just found that whole listing rather entertaining.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Al_wat wrote: »

100mhz to the core and 200mhz to the ram, but I think I could probably get quite a bit more as its staying so cool.

Also, you should go for it! I'm all for people spending tons of money on their hobbies. Plus your pc will double it's life span pretty much.

Gamers Nexus tested a Ti on water and their results had a couple games showing that going for a higher oc (+150/+450) tends to up the average but drop the .1% lows. Seems like we are still more limited on voltage then on temps.

https://youtu.be/DdYEqTolk0Q

iguanacus on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    wunderbar wrote: »
    übergeek wrote: »
    übergeek wrote: »
    Well it looks like when the time comes I'm getting a 6700k, no choice now.

Why is that? Why not the 7700k?

I want to use Win 7 and they are now actively blocking Windows Update from working on -any- Win 7 or Win 8.1 PC with a new CPU in it. 8.1 is still meant to be on full support until 2018, but screw those guys force them into Win 10 anyway.

ok lets stop the FUD on this. They are not actively blocking Windows updates on new processors. They have kept the language that they *could* not offer specific updates if they needed to. But to be clear, Microsoft is not stopping windows updates for Windows 7 on kaby lake platforms.

EDIT: so I'm looking at some news stories that seem to contradict this. I have to get up from the computer for a couple hours, but need to research this some more when I get the chance. I'm seeing a couple websites reporting windows updates do not work, and a couple reporting that they do.

So I just want to go back to this.

There were a bunch of articles all pointing to this KB from microsoft. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4012982/discusses-an-issue-in-which-you-receive-a-your-pc-uses-a-processor-tha

Now. That pages has been up since skylake was announced a year ago. It's been revised 19 times, but it has been up for a while.

In the "news" articles I'm reading about this, I cannot find one documented case of someone running a kaby lake processor on windows 7 and then not getting windows updates. People are asking to see documented cases, and no one is bringing forward proof. I'd also like to point out that kaby lake processors have been around for while now, and if there had been widespread instances of this being a thing, we would have seen it already. a basic Windows 7 SP1 install has something like 400 windows updates to do. If they were being blocked, we'd have seen it already.

Even in the KB article, it straight up says "may" be unable. It doesn't say they have stopped. This is microsoft covering their ass in the case that there may be an update that doesn't work on these processors.

And while we're on this path, a bit of an explainer. Yes, processors have drivers, just like your video card. There's a basic driver level that should allow pretty much any x86 processor to work in windows, but a lot of the fine tuned stuff, like power management, etc, all requires specifically written drivers. Generally, Microsoft just does this themselves, because it is in their best interest. Now, when Intel released skylake, it was apparently quite different at a driver level, and that caused huge issues. Do we all remember the issues with skylake laptops and sleep not working correctly, or things like the power management on skylake based atom processors basically not working at all? that's because of how bad the skylake underpinnings was. It's less noticeable on a desktop where a lot of those power management things don't matter as much, hence in a place like this thread we don't see it, but for laptops, skylake was a nightmare. Hell, Apple outright skipped skylake on their entire mac lineup.

Microsoft and Intel fought over this for a while, which is where the first "we're not going to support skylake on Windows 7" came from. Microsoft and Intel eventually compromised and got this dealt with, and the kaby lake release is from what I understand basically a skylake 1.0.1 type release, where a lot of the upgrades to it were to fix the driver model.

Microsoft has kept their language that they may not be able to support it because while we still think of processors as just x86 parts, the architecture is still quite different in 2017 than it was in 2006 when the codebase that Windows 7 runs on was developed (remember that Windows 7 is for all intents and purposes Windows Vista 1.1)

Lastly: even installing Windows 7 on kaby lake is apparently going to be difficult anyway. Kaby lake has dropped xhci support, which is what Windows 7's installer uses as it's driver to interface with storage. That means injecting a new driver into the windows 7 installer, assuming your motherboard maker actually writes one.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, the case and the AIO arrived last night, and I took a look at them. The AIO is huge, and built like a tank. I'll be installing it on the top vent.

As for the case, it is very sleek, and very nicely laid out. I'll need to pull the 200mm fan from the front to replace with twin 140mms I have.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Shit, it took a long ass time for the sleep issues on my Skylake-based Surface to get mitigated, after boatloads of firmware and driver updates, on hardware that Microsoft itself designed. I don't even want to know how bad other vendors got fucked by it.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    What sleep thing? My system occasionally doesn't sleep like it's supposed to. What should I be knowing about?

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Shit, it took a long ass time for the sleep issues on my Skylake-based Surface to get mitigated, after boatloads of firmware and driver updates, on hardware that Microsoft itself designed. I don't even want to know how bad other vendors got fucked by it.

yea microsoft was actually the launch partner for skylake and it bit them in the ass pretty hard. Hence the pissing contest over support for older OS's.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    So after a whole bunch of screwing around with EVGA customer support (who were friendly and ultimately useful, but also kind of gave me the run-around), I finally got one of those little PowerLinks they were offering to 1070 (and up) owners. I have to say, it's kind of a nifty little doo-dad to have around.

1kgdmtxd80vh.jpg

It comes with a little allan key to both adjust the distance in between the plugs, or allow you to exchange / remove them as your situation warrants.

zpiw15mz0ua9.jpg

Comes with 2x8 pin connectors and a spare 6 pin. You can install them in a single or dual connector config.

36iyicd8ij3b.jpg

Overall, I can't say I'd spend money on it as I'd prefer to just have some nicely sleeved cables and tidily route them, for the price of free (minus shipping for me, because Canada) I thought they are actually kind of cool.

m0r8hkb3a3jl.jpg

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    That's what those are for?

• Options

Strictly for cable management, yes.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Yeah, I have one myself for my GTX 1080--though I've now realized they'd probably hurt more than help in my case, given the position of my poer cables.

• Options
    BouwsT wrote: »

Strictly for cable management, yes.

Man. First World Problems. But then I have a full-tower so cable management is only an issue behind the MB.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I wonder how hard it is to find a specific water block for my GPU.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So I bought an Asus ROG PG348Q 34" QHD ultra wide monitor. I go pick it up this afternoon. Why spend just 700 bucks on a video card, when you can spend 1800 bucks on a video card and display?

asus-rog-swift-pg348q-2.jpg

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Oh my fuck, that thing is $1,600 CAD up here. What the FUCK, exchange rate?!

• Options

What GPU do you have?

― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

What GPU do you have?

GTX970.

I imagine they've got them, even the pre-made 2 water block Corsairs and what not.

• Options

What GPU do you have?

GTX970.

I imagine they've got them, even the pre-made 2 water block Corsairs and what not.

Corsair doesn't sell specific AIOs for GPUs, but instead sells AIO brackets to mount on a card to attach one of their AIOs to.

• Options

What GPU do you have?

GTX970.

Corsair doesn't sell specific AIOs for GPUs, but instead sells AIO brackets to mount on a card to attach one of their AIOs to.

So I could just snag 2 of, say, the H60's or whatever and get an adapter for the gtx?

• Options

What GPU do you have?

GTX970.

So I could just snag 2 of, say, the H60's or whatever and get an adapter for the gtx?

Yep.

• Options

What GPU do you have?

GTX970.

Yep.

I might when I upgrade my vidya card on the next nVidia round.

I mean, while I'm in there I might as well...

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So I just got and installed my 1080 Ti, which I'm super excited about. However, two issues cropped up:

1. My 1440 display isn't showing any resolution options above 1080p (it was running at 1440p on my 980 Ti). Wondering if this is related to the fact that I'm now using a DVI to Displayport adapter? But it seems unlikely.
    2. None of the devices plugged into my USB card are being recognized now.

Any thoughts?

Edit: #2 was the result of me jostling the USB card's power loose during card installation. Still dealing with #1 though.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options

What GPU do you have?

GTX970.

Yep.

I might when I upgrade my vidya card on the next nVidia round.

I mean, while I'm in there I might as well...

This generation, they've been working directly with the card makers to release models that have the AIO integrated from the factory.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    This is the wrong place to ask for this kind of help, but I have multiple GCs burning holes in my pocket. I can pick up a new 1070 6GB for $25 out of pocket. Or I can get a 1080 for around $225 out of pocket.

I'm actually debating this right now because I don't play bleeding edge games. I did get a Dell 1440p display recently, but there is nothing super taxing, game-wise, that I care about.

Whichever I end up getting, I'm planning to sell my 780 on the secondary market. (one of my Monoprice monitors is on eBay as I write this)

Mugsley on
  • Options
    Why spend more than you have to?

• Options
    So I just got and installed my 1080 Ti, which I'm super excited about. However, two issues cropped up:

1. My 1440 display isn't showing any resolution options above 1080p (it was running at 1440p on my 980 Ti). Wondering if this is related to the fact that I'm now using a DVI to Displayport adapter? But it seems unlikely.

Any thoughts?

Edit: #2 was the result of me jostling the USB card's power loose during card installation. Still dealing with #1 though.

The adapter has to not just output a DVI signal, but a dual link DVI signal to get the higher resolutions.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Any thoughts?

The adapter has to not just output a DVI signal, but a dual link DVI signal to get the higher resolutions.

Now that I'm double checking the amazon listing that seems like it might be my issue. I can't seem to find one that supports 1440p, any suggestions?

Edit: NVIDIA also packed in an adapter with the 1080 Ti that seems to have the same issue :?

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    This is the wrong place to ask for this kind of help, but I have multiple GCs burning holes in my pocket. I can pick up a new 1070 6GB for $25 out of pocket. Or I can get a 1080 for around $225 out of pocket.

I'm actually debating this right now because I don't play bleeding edge games. I did get a Dell 1440p display recently, but there is nothing super taxing, game-wise, that I care about.

Whichever I end up getting, I'm planning to sell my 780 on the secondary market. (one of my Monoprice monitors is on eBay as I write this)

I mean if you don't care about all the pretty's in a game. Just spend the 25$ and get the 1070.

― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

I mean if you don't care about all the pretty's in a game. Just spend the 25$ and get the 1070.

I have a 1070. I'm getting all of the pretties in any game I play.

You wouldn't if you wanted to run 4k, but I'm maxing everything I play at 1440p and still getting more than adequate framerates on even the more taxing titles.

This discussion has been closed.