As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Raindrop/ [JOB] talk/ Typin' up reports in the hotbox

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I am so unmotivated for work today. Just wanna go home and plant vegetables.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    I am officially done with old job.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Ugh I still feel like a dummy after these test results.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Oh god just 2.5 hours till I'm off work

I'm hoping that it's nice and quiet until then

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    A friend of mine, who was on these forums for a while, was a developer. One of the QAs submitted this shit to be fixed.

e1siyk9588xy.jpg

I save this image as an exact "how not to do this".

I work in QA. I see what that person is actually trying to type because I work with people that type up defects/bugs like that. I then get the fun task of trying to translate that gibberish to the developer. Fun times. But, whatever, I get paid more than the other QA folks so I'll translate their weird ass gibberish.

When a BA writes up requirements like that, I ask to be taken off the project because FUCK THAT!

We also have some software that if you mouse click into the date field and begin typing, everything is fine, but if you tab into it; well, hold on to your shit because this is going to be fun. The slashes disappear, and you better type them. The section for the year? Yeah, it only displays 2 digits but there is no god that can help you if you don't type the 4 digit year. If you type the 2 digit year, and then try to do anything else the application complains about how that field is incorrect. You try to correct it, now the whole thing is completely out of whack. the slashes are now replaced with zeros, and everything else with random (it's always different) characters. I think a developer did this intentionally a long time ago because it was his last day or something. Whenever I have to test that form I pad my estimates by about %50. That thing is a nightmare.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    So working everyday for a few straight weeks has made me....very antsy..not working this week cause of spring break.

Who knew that being unemployed was boring as fuck?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    So working everyday for a few straight weeks has made me....very antsy..not working this week cause of spring break.

Who knew that being unemployed was boring as fuck?

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/210095/switching-to-steam-could-save-you-15-or-more/p1

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    For reference, this guy demonstrates free hand pole climbing, complete with a kid acting like he "gaffed out" at the start of the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A42h4O3WDt4

I really hope I don't have to do free hand. My field tech buddy moved to the field tech job while we were still Verizon; it's possible that new company won't care about being that hard core.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I'm very worried about that kid. He sounded like he was in a great deal of genuine, real life pain.

Also, yeah, free hand seems worse. Are they afraid you're going to lose your belt in an emergency and need to be able to do the hand-over-hand to save the city?

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Also, yeah, free hand seems worse. Are they afraid you're going to lose your belt in an emergency and need to be able to do the hand-over-hand to save the city?

I guess something like that? If I were to guess, I would say it's more to raise the strength barrier for this job, since you can't relax on the belt when you're tired (until you get to the top). At least in the case of Verizon, maybe they didn't actually want paper pushers to try to be field techs. My current company as I understand it is in desperate need of techs at the moment, so maybe they'll be more lenient about the test.

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    Just had a phone screen.

It seems like it was going great until I completely fucked a question about statistics.

Which I was then told wasn't a hard requirement for the job, and I could expect a follow up call.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    at my new jobsite we have a gate to 'keep the cows in'

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Ever have one of those days where you work on something for hours and then when it's done they decide they want it done differently and your entire day is fucking wasted?

yeah

thank fuck it's friday

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    I hate those days.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    @Sassori

Hooray! Congratulations! :biggrin:

lWF21X.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Hey, I know some of you work in research labs of one kind or another. Do any of you want to purchase a human child, cheap? Based on preliminary observations, the specimen is capable of stomping on an upstairs apartment floor just as hard as it can 2-3 times per second for I swear to god three hours straight. Bidding begins at ZW$1. 10-14 day shipping.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Hey, I know some of you work in research labs of one kind or another. Do any of you want to purchase a human child, cheap? Based on preliminary observations, the specimen is capable of stomping on an upstairs apartment floor just as hard as it can 2-3 times per second for I swear to god three hours straight. Bidding begins at ZW$1. 10-14 day shipping.

Depends. Can it solder?

• Options
    I have no reason to think otherwise!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    hmmmm

how good is it at absorbing radiation

• Options
    Only one way to find out!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Can it speak Mandarin?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I am in my grad class right now and figured out a crazy statistic algebra thing all by myself while most of the class was completely bewildered! Considering how horrible I am at math I feel really smart right now!

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Today a blind man tried to piss in our trash can

• Options
    By tried, I mean he got it all over the floor.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I needed a urine sample from someone tonight (they had some mental issues) and they started peeing on the floor. I dove at that shit with a sample cup like I was playing beach volleyball.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TheStig wrote: »
    I needed a urine sample from someone tonight (they had some mental issues) and they started peeing on the floor. I dove at that shit with a sample cup like I was playing beach volleyball.

B4yFunG.png

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I am a nub.

We laid off the sales guy a little over three months ago.

Our search has been lacking in fruit.

I closed 8k in sales before noon, then shipped 7k in parts.

I am a nub.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Hmm, more 12 hours shifts, only 4 days.

I'm curious how active this is going to be.....Must not sleep on job.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Ever have one of those days where you work on something for hours and then when it's done they decide they want it done differently and your entire day is fucking wasted?

yeah

thank fuck it's friday

you art folks tend to have it the worst

us programmers get it too though

It's frustrating as all fuck, I don't know how it feels for you, but like, imagine solving an algebraic word problem and then someone goes "yeah well now solve for melons instead of strawberries."

Why don't you solve for go fuck yourself!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    researchers get that too.

only instead of some other jackass deciding they need a completely different [x], it's your dumbass future self, who really should have worked it out before you started.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    researchers get that too.

only instead of some other jackass deciding they need a completely different [x], it's your dumbass future self, who really should have worked it out before you started.

Yeah I do this to myself when I'm doing my own design document. It hamstrings me a lot because I feel like I flounder sometimes if I think too far ahead.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    past me never knows what they want

future me is always smug as fuck about it too

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Following a PAX with The "C" Team launch is one of the few times at PA where I've been legitimately exhausted enough to really feel like I need the weekend

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    The last several times I've been to PAX, I'm left wondering how you people end the weekend without robotic masseuses to tend to each and every one of you.

The forgeries alone.

• Options
    I've reached a point where I can likely pay off all my old collection balances within a month, I have a very low credit usage balance, and still keep a couple hundred available floating in checking when my paycheck hits each week. I could pay everything now if I just put it on credit but I want to avoid paying interest.

This feels weird.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    To have credit would be weird as one or more reports still list me as KIA
    Or the bank officer when ironing out all the stuff after my father died said it was a fool's errand to try to fix that

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    To have credit would be weird as one or more reports still list me as KIA
    Or the bank officer when ironing out all the stuff after my father died said it was a fool's errand to try to fix that

It's worth getting fixed. Little over two years ago I was five years in to being unemployed with suicidal ideation.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have tired over the years She was not kidding it's a fool's errand
    She said the best thing was wait it out and hope it goes away in the old info since it had been over 10 years since I died I have not looked into my credit since trying to clean up the mess my father left for me

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Lol i love how inefficient my work can be.

I operate a big machine (it's basically a facility in its own right) that cleans nasty isotopes out of heavy water. If we dont have readily available feed water, i can directly pump water from the product tanks to the feed tanks. No water sampling is required, no field operators are required, i can do this all from the control room.

We have a team that manages our heavy water inventories. They tell us where to move different grades of water, and what tanks of water to use in different situations. Several times in the last few weeks their direction has been: pump product water to tank A. Pump tank A to tank B. Pump tank B to feedwater tank.

Each stage of that takes a few hours, then needs a water sample for the chem lab, and also needs a field guy to do valving and monitor the job. When i could have fucking done it directly with drastically less resources and time.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    The plan for me now is that I come in tomorrow night for startup, show the new lead how to do it, and then come back in on first shift Tuesday morning for training,which will last until the next Monday, at which point I'm on my new job.

Needless to say, the amount of fucks I have had for work tonight is dangerously low.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
This discussion has been closed.