As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Horizon Zero Dawn] Out now on PC and PS4!

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    They unlocked from right to left, but I definitely still got a bunch of locked ones.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    They unlocked from right to left, but I definitely still got a bunch of locked ones.

Right, but they should match up to unlocked entries. I.e., if you have January 15, you should have one entry that's locked and one that isn't.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    God damn that was a hell of a game. I went in not expecting a hell of a lot, and got just body slammed by feels at pretty much every point in the story.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    Best glitch?
    Best glitch.
    I hope this never gets patched.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah the unlocking of corrupted entries is weird. Rather than changing the existing entries, it adds new entries that can now be activated. It's not the most intuitive way of doing that

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Glixel wrote a fantastic article on Horizon's development:
    http://www.glixel.com/news/how-horizon-zero-dawn-transformed-guerrilla-games-w472564

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options

I just realized something.

The Oseram are a people who come from the mountains, the guys all seem to be bearded, they prefer heavy plate and do a lot of forging, and they're famous for their drinking.

They're dwarves. They're the goddamn dwarves of this fantasy world, in everything but height.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I knew that the moment I met Mr. Has-The-Hots-For-Aloy

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I just realized something.

The Oseram are a people who come from the mountains, the guys all seem to be bearded, they prefer heavy plate and do a lot of forging, and they're famous for their drinking.

They're dwarves. They're the goddamn dwarves of this fantasy world, in everything but height.

Also, re: game cultures.

I really wish the game had more lore/interaction/anything with the Banuk. There's one sidequest that I know of that was sorta barebones but I was totally into it anyway because I find their whole "mechanical shamanism" thing a super interesting concept. Maybe I missed some quests, I'm still cleaning up side-content before I beat the game, but I just wanted more of them.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    Is it worth it to upgrade to a Pro for this or can I play on my ye olde PS4 without losing out on anything?

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Is it worth it to upgrade to a Pro for this or can I play on my ye olde PS4 without losing out on anything?

I can only speak from the perspective of playing this on a normal PS4 on a 40" decent-but-not-amazing TV, but I think it's the most visually impressive game I've ever played.

I assume you have a 4k TV to be even asking this? My TV can't even do HDR, but if yours can the normal PS4 can do that too, if I recall correctly.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I have a Pro and 4K TV and it looks fucking gorgeous and plays great, but my understanding is that it looks fucking gorgeous and plays great on a Normal w/HDTV.

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »

I can only speak from the perspective of playing this on a normal PS4 on a 40" decent-but-not-amazing PC, but I think it's the most visually impressive game I've ever played.

I assume you have a 4k TV to be even asking this? My TV can't even do HDR, but if yours can the normal PS4 can do that too, if I recall correctly.

I actually still have a six year old 1080p set, I was worried that the normal PS4 might be slower or something. If it's just a matter of resolution then it looks like I'm picking this up!

• Options
    Raiden333 wrote: »

I can only speak from the perspective of playing this on a normal PS4 on a 40" decent-but-not-amazing PC, but I think it's the most visually impressive game I've ever played.

I actually still have a six year old 1080p set, I was worried that the normal PS4 might be slower or something. If it's just a matter of resolution then it looks like I'm picking this up!

Oh yeah, I can only think of like one or two times I even noticed any frameiness. Disclaimer, I'm switching back and forth between this and Zelda, which gets super framey, so I might be biased.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I've got a PS4 slim. This game is the best looking game I've ever played.

• Options
    Apparently the pro gives you the option of having it focus on better visuals or better performance.
    I don't know what better visuals means (I presume more glistening where appropriate), but performance should mean you have a more stable framerate.
    I think it's locked to a max 30fps either way, and I never noticed any slowdown on my regular PS4 (but I generally never notice that kind of thing unless it's really severe, anyway).

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I did the Sunfall mission yesterday:
    The ZD exploration one. I kind of called what ZD was by that point so no real surprise but still super interesting

One Firespitter arrow got stuck standing still in mid air and for the rest of the mission I had to endure the whining noise it made by perpetually travelling but not getting anywhere. Terrible sound. Never ranged out either.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Apparently the pro gives you the option of having it focus on better visuals or better performance.
    I don't know what better visuals means (I presume more glistening where appropriate), but performance should mean you have a more stable framerate.
    I think it's locked to a max 30fps either way, and I never noticed any slowdown on my regular PS4 (but I generally never notice that kind of thing unless it's really severe, anyway).

The Pro gives you an option between checkerboarded 4K/30fps (which is then downsampled if you have a 1080p screen) and 1080p/30fps. The latter option is said to be "better performance" but the game runs at a near rock solid 30fps in the 4K mode anyway, so there's only really a small improvement.

According to Digital Foundry, the Pro will get you better image quality (which makes for some really pretty screens/gifs), improved textures and improved texture filtering. Either way, the game runs fantastically though.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

It also runs great. I haven't noticed any slowdown at all, although I admit I'm not that conducive to frame-rate drops. But it's felt buttery smooth all the way through to me.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    The only performance issue I ever encountered was long load times when fast traveling.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

I picked up Horizon and a PS4 Slim a couple weeks ago after being exclusively a PC gamer for the better part of a decade and as somebody who has gotten thoroughly accustomed to heavily-improved 1080p/60FPS visuals as standard, Horizon is freaking gorgeous on my old 1080p TV.

The game is going to look stunning regardless, nobody should have to worry about that.

• Options

I picked up Horizon and a PS4 Slim a couple weeks ago after being exclusively a PC gamer for the better part of a decade and as somebody who has gotten thoroughly accustomed to heavily-improved 1080p/60FPS visuals as standard, Horizon is freaking gorgeous on my old 1080p TV.

The game is going to look stunning regardless, nobody should have to worry about that.

Same here. Exactly the same here. It's my first $250 game.

It was worth every penny.

• Options
    I'll also say that this is the first game since the Mass Effect series that has grabbed me this way. From the start I was entranced with the narrative they slowly spun out. Guerilla have done something very special here.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    The best part of that article that was linked was their reaction to the budding fanbase. Going from games people liked as graphical showboats to a game people love because it gives them a role model must have been an experience.

• Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    I've done 20 side quests and 12 errands, am I done?

• Options
    Oakey wrote: »
    I've done 20 side quests and 12 errands, am I done?

Done in what sense?

• Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    With the side quests and errands? How many are there of each?

• Options
    Oakey wrote: »
    With the side quests and errands? How many are there of each?

Technically there are 22 Side Quests, but I have no idea what the 22nd is, and all the lists of side quests only have 20. But someone out there has 100% this game, so who knows.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I finally beat the game. That was one hell of an experience. I have not gotten that absorbed into a game in a long time. I really enjoyed the story and the ending was intense.

I also did not realize that Ashly Burch voiced Aloy.

I hope that they put in multiplayer hunting. It would be so fun to hunt with a group.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'll also say that this is the first game since the Mass Effect series that has grabbed me this way. From the start I was entranced with the narrative they slowly spun out. Guerilla have done something very special here.

I was not especially impressed by the earlier parts of the story, but I'm coming up on the end now and damn is there some brutal stuff, both personally and for the planet, and the mix of human and scifi elements in simple and advanced societies is really grabbing me.
    I figured the black machines were part of the army that wiped out the human race, but they ate every living thing on the planet? That is dark, and I was not expecting that. I figured it was just something where humanity blasted the planet to kill the bots and poisoned most of it, then had stuff in motion to bring it back.

As for the mix of the tribal and advanced story elements
    I love the fact that I want to kill the primitive screwhead enemies so much for just being moron humans with no idea they're literally going to get the entire planet killed again, after the planet was originally killed by people being greedy primitive screwheads.

This bad guy is such a dumb asshole he can't even see how much an idiot he is, which just makes me want to kill him even more. Well, let the robots eat him, anyway.

This is a great setting overall, they really nail an astounding mix of gorgeous natural environments with harsh, barren mechanical ones. Can't wait to see where they go with this franchise, because there is a ton of things they could do.

• Options
    I like the way that the story plays on your expectations. It's like it assumes you've seen other post-apocalypse stories, so it's expecting you to fill in the backstory.
    Then you find out that the backstory you came up with is completely wrong, and it's so much worse than that.

Thoughts on future games/DLC:
    There's got to be more stuff with that asshole Faro. The logs talk about him having his own bunker (the pyramid-shaped Thebes), so I'm betting he kept pushing the boundaries of hypocrisy after he decided to screw up the second human race.
    I'd like it if he had working cryogenics (because I'd really like to triple-shot some arrows in his face), but it's more likely he set up a clone thing, like the anti-Aloy. Along with a system to teach him all the things that were clearly too dangerous to pass on the the rest of the human race. Can't 'curse' them with that, but a clone of the man who killed the world should be trusted with it, shouldn't he? Incidentally, he should name himself Pharaoh and rule over all the ignorant people outside.

If we end up going to the Forbidden West (Which Aloy did in the end-scene, didn't she? I don't know US geography well, but someone said Sobeck's ranch was in Nevada, which is well west of Colorado?), and there's a bunch of Ancient Egyptian-themed stuff, I won't be totally surprised. (I wanna kill a Robo-Sphinx)

On the less negative side, there's a reference to them giving an alpha-build of APOLLO to the Odyssey project. Even if it failed, I don't think they said it was completely destroyed (so it could have eventually crashed down to Earth), or there could have been backups left on the ground that Ted couldn't access to delete.
    There's also Elysium, which we never got to explore. All but the very top minds behind Zero Dawn, who might have found out what Ted did and tried to come up with some answer for it. Plus, the logs said it wasn't that far from GAIA Prime, which makes it more likely to be DLC (don't need to come up with a whole new geographical area).

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I like the way that the story plays on your expectations. It's like it assumes you've seen other post-apocalypse stories, so it's expecting you to fill in the backstory.
    Then you find out that the backstory you came up with is completely wrong, and it's so much worse than that.

Thoughts on future games/DLC:
    There's got to be more stuff with that asshole Faro. The logs talk about him having his own bunker (the pyramid-shaped Thebes), so I'm betting he kept pushing the boundaries of hypocrisy after he decided to screw up the second human race.
    I'd like it if he had working cryogenics (because I'd really like to triple-shot some arrows in his face), but it's more likely he set up a clone thing, like the anti-Aloy. Along with a system to teach him all the things that were clearly too dangerous to pass on the the rest of the human race. Can't 'curse' them with that, but a clone of the man who killed the world should be trusted with it, shouldn't he? Incidentally, he should name himself Pharaoh and rule over all the ignorant people outside.

If we end up going to the Forbidden West (Which Aloy did in the end-scene, didn't she? I don't know US geography well, but someone said Sobeck's ranch was in Nevada, which is well west of Colorado?), and there's a bunch of Ancient Egyptian-themed stuff, I won't be totally surprised. (I wanna kill a Robo-Sphinx)

On the less negative side, there's a reference to them giving an alpha-build of APOLLO to the Odyssey project. Even if it failed, I don't think they said it was completely destroyed (so it could have eventually crashed down to Earth), or there could have been backups left on the ground that Ted couldn't access to delete.
    There's also Elysium, which we never got to explore. All but the very top minds behind Zero Dawn, who might have found out what Ted did and tried to come up with some answer for it. Plus, the logs said it wasn't that far from GAIA Prime, which makes it more likely to be DLC (don't need to come up with a whole new geographical area).
    Someone said it was near Carson City, so yeah, Nevada. I'd love to see some of the crazy shit GAIA and HEPHAESTUS put in the Pacific.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    Really wish I had more time to play it, the few hours after work isn't enough and playing this game only in piece meal isn't ideal.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    Just finished. Level 48.

God damn, what a game.
    FUCK YOU TED FARO

The ending also hit me right in the feels, I'm not ashamed to say I brushed away a tear. It's very, very rare for a game to get that kind of response out of me.

This is easily the best game I have played since The Witcher 3, and it's a very tight race between the two for best game this generation, on any platform.

Bravo Guerilla.

• Options
    Also just finished. Very fucking impressed, story and characters and the way they paced it.

Especially Aloy and her personal quest evolving into something bigger, but still remaining very personal.
    The end scene where Aloy finds Elisabet was very touching.

• Options
    I think I missed a couple of crucial data entries, as I found one later on referring to
    Project Odyssey

I was definitely able to figure out what it was, but I was clearly supposed to have already heard about it by that point. Is there anywhere I can read all the data entries?

• Options
    Spaffy wrote: »
    I think I missed a couple of crucial data entries, as I found one later on referring to
    Project Odyssey

I was definitely able to figure out what it was, but I was clearly supposed to have already heard about it by that point. Is there anywhere I can read all the data entries?

I figure that's something that might eventually pop up on the wikia. But it's also a huge undertaking so I wouldn't count on it.

I'm missing like 70-80% of the World Category data entries and I fucking scoured every location I visited.

Anyway about that project:
    I believe it's mentioned in the text accompanying one of the vantage points. That's likely the first mention I came across it. Another is one of Elisabets email logs you find during a mid-game mission, that one I remember is an email telling her employees that Odyssey has exploded when spinning up the antimatter drive and that Zero Dawn is now humanity's last and only hope.

One of Elisabets corrupted logs that unlock before the final mission mentions it, prior to it exploding.

Samina(?) the chief of APOLLO was working on Odyssey for Far Zenith, the company building the Odyssey project (and also the baby-machines) some time before being recruited to Zero Dawn.

It's mentioned people grew up with the Odyssey project going on, so it was likely something that was started long before and was repurposed and rushed in order to send out an APOLLO repository and perhaps even some embryo stuff in the hope that it might reach another star some day.

• Options
    My sister stopped by and saw the paused game on my TV.
    "Oh, is that the new Mass Effect? Why do you have a bow?"
    "No... Why would you think it's Mass Effect?"
    "That looks like a Geth Pony."

I'm now calling Watchers Geth Ponies at every opportunity.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    My sister stopped by and saw the paused game on my TV.
    "Oh, is that the new Mass Effect? Why do you have a bow?"
    "No... Why would you think it's Mass Effect?"
    "That looks like a Geth Pony."

I'm now calling Watchers Geth Ponies at every opportunity.

Goddamn, now I wish the contest was still on to rename Geth. Now I want it named Watcher and all it does is make that pullstart motor sound before it pounces on some person/thread.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Project Odyssey

Project Odyssey:
    Project Odyssey was a plan to colonize the Sirius system.

It was announced 2041, as a multinational effort, expected to be ready to launch in 2080. The plan was to use a small crew of about 50-60 people, and to bring 200,000 embryos to kick-start human civilization on a new planet. In 2051, India announce that it had completed the drives for the ship. In 2057, the failure of Europe and America to do their part and to cooperate on the project resulted in the cancellation of the program.

In 2061, a man named Osvald Dalgaard acquired the assets of the program on behalf of a shadowy group of investors, with the intent of restarting the project, under the name "Far Zenith." Approximately seven months after the Faro plague began, on April 1, 2065, Far Zenith announced that Odyssey was complete. On July 15, 2065, the Odyssey was launched; included on board was an Alpha build of APOLLO. APOLLO was made possible to deliver on deadline due to Far Zenith having provided Zero Dawn with Homer, their own repository of human information; Far Zenith also provided the chambers ELEUTHIA used to create humans. Shortly after launch, it was announced that a drive failure destroyed the Odyssey as it tried to leave the system.

There are a lot of secondary theories regarding Far Zenith and the Odyssey.
    • Firstly, most importantly, did the ship actually explode? It have been reported as destroyed by Far Zenith to ensure that the Faro swarm didn't try to follow it. If it didn't explode, was Elisabet aware of this? The only note we have on her response to the Far Zenith being destroyed is the note that she sent to the Alphas. You'll recall that Elisabet sent all of humanity to die on a lie, that Zero Dawn would save them. To lie about Odyssey would be a drop on the moral bucket compared to that. She might have done it to ensure that they stayed motivated to the end.
    • Who were the shadowy group behind the Far Zenith project? Some of the more sinister theories are that it was a death cult ("Naysay Doom") or an AI (Vast Silver, which originally was supposed to do weather, and which may have become a huge horror movie fan).

Shadowhope on
This discussion has been closed.